A Nightmare at Hand

A Nightmare at Hand

A Story by scarlettlovesrhett
"

Will Myra finally find peace at the place that once did her wrong? Or will the nurse that took care of her for three years get her revenge?

"

July 7th, 1920 St. Francis Hospital for Children, Central London

Ring around the rosy
A pocketful of posies
"Ashes, Ashes"
We all fall down!

Those thirteen words kept going through my head as I could still see the many children holding hands and laughing as if nothing had ever happened. Those children seemed so happy and yet so carefree. How they could be so happy I had no idea? To me this place seemed as if we were prisoners. The big black Iron Gate shut us in at night, while nurses patrolled the halls while we slept.

 Standing next to a nearby Oak tree I kept to myself as I normally did. I soon found my eyes looking towards the gate to see a mother and father with their child. Oh how I envied them. My parents were in east London. My father Aaron Andrews was the boss of a local bank. While my mother Margaret Andrews stayed at home and hosted luncheons and little parties for her girl friends from our church. There was never any time to come and visit me. Cries and screams of torture interrupted the Children’s happy singing and pulled me from my thoughts. The Children gasped at hearing those horrid cries. Soon however they were singing yet again.

 Looking up towards the old four story brick building, a chill went through my entire body as I looked up at the old dark building. Soon my crystal blue eyes spotted a nearby cracked, but almost broken window.  A rather tall figure was standing there looking down on us. That was Doctor. Bender, he was the head Doctor here at St. Francis.

“Come Myra, the doctor is ready to see you.” I hear a nurse call my name as my eyes go wide. Turning towards her I freeze in fear. I knew what “they” wanted and I wasn’t going to go.

Her slender body wore a crisp white outfit, while her blond hair was pulled back into a neat bun. Looking into her eyes I saw them to be the color Amber. Her appearance was that of a happy and carrying nurse. But deep, deep down she was horrid and hostile.

Naturally I would be sacred of her or any nurse for that matter. Being so young and alone I mean. When a child is in a hospital they want to see happy and loving faces. This nurse, Nurse Ruth was everything but kind and caring.  She was horrible and nasty. However, I never really saw it with the other children just me. At least that’s what I thought. Looking into her dark cold eyes I responded quickly. “No, I want Mother and Father,” I cry as I hug the tree I was just standing by. I wanted my parents and I wanted to go home.

“Myra, you are scaring the other children,” the tall nurse hissed, as her lovely face twisted into a hateful glare; taking my hand rather forcefully she began dragging me inside. I tried everything in my power to stall or get free. “Your parents will be here in two weeks.”

“I don’t care I want out of here now!” I yelled. Still putting up a fight I could feel my wavy chestnut hair come out of its ponytail. “Let me go! Let me go!” Keeping my feet steadily on the ground I began pulling back as if I was going to fall.

“Myra Andrews, you are the most stubborn, reckless and the most burden of child I have ever dealt with at this hospital. Now come inside this insistent.”

“No, I won’t.” I screamed as I could feel that my fight was about up. There was only so much a six year old girl could do. Looking straight ahead I saw another nurse come to help.

“Nurse Ruth, is there a problem here?” The black haired lady asked as she stood just in front of Nurse Ruth and myself. This lady was dressed in the same outfit as Nurse Ruth. This nurse however looked much kinder then Nurse Ruth. Then again that could just be a front to fool the parents into thinking this place was a good hospital to put your Children in.

“Aw, Nurse Emma, It appears Myra here is refusing to go inside.” Ruth answered as her face changed into a lovely but fake smile.

Smiling down at me I gave her a stern look. “Myra, dear it’s time to take your medicine. After you’ve taken them you may come back outside and play.” Emma smiled. 

I knew she was just covering up. I knew I had already taken my medicine for today. I knew better. “No, I won’t take them and I won’t do as you say.”

“A little stubborn one isn’t she.” Nurse Emma said as she got to her full height.

“Yes she is and I’ve been dealing with her since she first arrived.” Nurses Ruth agreed as she still had a tight grip on my hand.

“How long has she been here?” I hear Nurse Emma whisper.

“Three weeks now. Her parents say she has had a trouble time fighting off this terrible cold and they fear it will turn into something much worse if we do not take care of it.

 “I’m not sick. I know I’m not sick.” I say aloud as I look up at the two of them. I knew I wasn’t sick. My parent’s just sent me away to get me out of their hair that’s why I was here. I wasn’t sick in the least.

Smiling at each other Nurse Emma took my other hand. No, no, no I was screaming inside my head as I was dragged through the front doors and down the front hall of the hospital. “Now Myra, you must stop this nonsense.” Nurse Emma said sweetly. “It will soon be over and you will feel much better.”

Taking the elevator to the second floor we had finally arrived at the first room on the right. Dr. Bender’s office, opening the door the smell of Cigarettes filled the air. I could feel my lungs tighten up as I tried breathing.

Turning from the window Dr. Bender smiled. Dr. Bender was rather young he looked to be around my father’s age 28. “Myra, what is this I observed just a few moments ago?” the doctor asked as he put a hand through his golden hair.

“She’s refusing to take her medicine sir.” Nurse Ruth spoke up as if I didn’t have a voice.

“Myra, come here.” Dr. Bender commanded. Stepping forward I stood in front of his desk. “Do you know why you are here Myra?” Trying to look me in the eye.

I didn’t want to answer, but I did just to please him. “To make me better,” I say not meeting his dark brown eyes.

Looking up at one of the nurses Dr. Bender snapped his fingers. “That’s why you must take your medicine.”  With those last words Nurse Emma took a hold of my left arm. Looking up at her with horror written all over my face. I screamed when I saw the needle come towards me.

Squirming and screaming I tried yet again to get free. They weren’t trying to make me better they were trying to make me worse. That’s what they were doing to all of these children. Every nurse and every doctor there was so ruthless.  Feeling the needle go in I let out a blood curdling scream. Jerking my arm blood went everywhere as I got my other arm free. Putting as much pressure on it as possible I tried getting the blood to stop. While I tried getting the blood to stop I knew I would never be the same again.

Shaking my head I put my finger tips to my temples. It seemed so real. After 20 years you think I would stop having flashbacks or nightmares of that horrible day. I was told that after that day I acted much worse then what I already was. The “cold” they said I had, had never went away and I was never the same way towards my parents ever again. It was as if they didn’t know me anymore.

Standing in the walkway of the Children’s Hospital I looked all around me. Nothing had changed everything was still as it was. The children were still signing that same old rhyme. The old oak tree was still there. Looked as if it was dying, but it was still there. Taking in the fresh air I began to cough. Covering my mouth with my hand I tried everything to shake it.

After a while I was able to catch my breath and headed inside. Before getting to the front door I looked up to see the window I had looked up and saw Dr. Bender all those years ago. Feeling a chill go down my spine I headed inside to start my new shift.

Putting my hand on the door handle I looked to my left. What my eyes saw scared the living daylights out of me. Standing there I thought I saw Nurse Ruth holding a syringe and looking as mean as I remembered her. Her once crisp outfit was covered in blood from top to bottom. This however didn't include her face and other body parts. Her pale skin appeared to have been clawed at with bloody finger nails as the person struggled. 

She was looking at me with her piercing evil eyes. A gasp escaped my lips. Looking back towards the door I noticed my hand was shaking.

“Who are you?” I hear a little voice call out. Looking to my right this time I saw a little boy with curly brown hair, brown eyes and a few freckles that covered his face. His left hand was holding onto an IV holder.                           .

“My names Myra, I’m the new nurse here.” I responded as I got down on his level. “What’s your name?”

“Timmy,” He replied with a smile. He was a rather cute little boy, He was probably no older then I was when I was there. “You saw her too?”

My body froze with fear. He saw her to? “Who sweetie?” I asked as if I had no idea what he was talking about.

“That nurse dressed in that long white outfit. She had the look of evil in her eyes.” Timmy answered as he gripped the silver poll tighter.

“Come let’s get inside before you become sicker.” I tell him as I hold out my hand. Taking my hand he smiled up at me. Looking to my left once more all I saw were leaves blowing across the yard. Could I have imagined it? Making our way inside a nurse met us at the front desk.

“Timmy Lewis, why were you outside? We told you not to go out there.” A larger lady with bright red hair and big round glasses asked as she tapped the pencil on the desk. She didn’t look pleased not pleased at all. Her face looked just as Nurse Ruth’s had been when I refused to go inside all those years ago.

I griped tighter on little Timmy’s hand. “I just wanted to play outside.” Timmy muttered as he looked at the ground.

“It’s not time to go outside.” The nurse told him as she looked down at him. “Harry, take Timmy upstairs with the other children.”

A bigger man about 6’2 with broad shoulders walked up. His hair the color of night, it had the look of mystery. While his eyes were color of the darkest green you had ever seen. If you saw this man on the street you would think he would take your purse or wallet. However, that wasn’t the case with this man. His face was that of a kind face. He smiled down at the little boy. “Come on Timmy, you’re missing story time.” Talking happily Timmy went along with Harry.

The hospital really hadn’t changed that much. The same white walls looked back at you with cold, hard dampness. The floor was still that nasty brown color. The wind still howled and bellowed through the place. A few windows still remained somewhat broken or cracked. While the smell of an odd odor still lingered in the air. When I was little I always thought the hospital smelled like death. I laughed to myself something’s never changed. 

“You must be Myra, our new nurse.” The lady at the front desk asked.

“Yes,” I reply stepping closer. As soon as I did this so many things began coming back. Some of the other children and the things that went through these halls were just too real.

“Are you alright Ms?” the lady asked as I was off in my own little world.

Shaking my head I looked back at the lady. “Yes, I’m fine.” I answered as I tapped my fingers on the desk nervously. “Sorry I was here as a child and”

“It’s alright deary we have a lot of parents that come through here with their children that have been here before.” Taking out a few papers she placed them in front of me. “Just sign these papers and I will show you around. By the way I’m Nancy Williams.”

“It’s nice to meet you.” I say as I hand her the papers. Putting them away we begin our tour. As if I couldn’t remember this place by myself. Walking down the long corridors and seeing all that used to be just made me a little sick to my stomach. Like I told you earlier nothing had changed all the doors and walls needed to be repainted and all the creaks and cracks need fixed as well. To be quite honest who would send their child there in the conditions it was in? It would give the children nightmares.

Hearing little voices and laughter as children ran through the halls made the eeriness a little less real. “Children, get back to the story room this instant.” Nancy told the children as she pointed in the opposite direction. The Children ran past as they giggled. “You will get to meet the children here in just a little while. After the tour you will need to meet the doctor.”

 “Doctor Bender, she’s here to see you.” Nancy knocked on the door and leaned her head in.

“Send her in please.” Dr. Bender said as he motioned me to come on in as he looked down at some papers.

Stepping into the room that was all too familiar I waited for him to look up. The smell of cigarettes still filled the air. His office furniture was still the same as it was 20 years before. The old nasty paisley style chairs were still there along with the matching couch. Nothing had changed…except Dr. Bender.

His once golden hair was now white while his once youthful self wasn’t as youthful anymore. His eyes appeared to be squinting at the papers he was looking at. But he still looked as the same old doctor. “It’s been a while hasn’t it Doctor.” I say as I stand in front of his desk. Hearing my voice he looked up. Fixing his glasses he looked at me as if he had seen a ghost.

“Why if It isn’t Myra Andrews,” Dr. Bender says as he waves his hand for me to sit down. “What brings you back to St. Francis?”

“After I left here all those years ago I lived with my parents and went to school and got my nursing degree at Oxford. Ever since I can remember I’ve wanted to be nurse.” I replied as I handed him my folder.

Aw, yes, all those years ago. You were quite the handful weren’t you?” Dr. Bender laughed as the question rolled off his tongue.

Seeing that the question not as funny as he led it on to be I laughed a little long with him. “At that age a child is scared to leave her parents and scared of their surroundings.”

Ignoring the last part of what I had said Doctor Bender spoke again.  “Let’s see if we got you straightened out shall we.” Walking from his office we made our way up to the next floor. “Right now we house 25 children. We are hoping to add more in the next few months.” Dr. Bender said as we arrived on the third floor.

Exiting the elevator I noticed that the button for the fourth floor was missing. “I see that the button is missing for the next floor. How do the staff members get the children up their?” I asked as I stood next to the doctor.

“We no longer use that floor. It hasn’t been safe for quite some time now. It hasn’t been used since…the year you left here as a matter of fact. How old were you when you left?” His voice was now dark. Why the sudden change?

“Eight sir,” I replied as I preferred not to think of it. Those three years were the most painful of my life. Thinking of those years made me think of the “cold” I had. Thinking of that moment I began coughing.

“Are you alright?” Dr. Bender asked turning towards me. The look in his eyes had changed once again.

“I’m fine.” I say as I take out my water that had been in my purse. Taking a drink I began feeling better.

“Take both of these. It should help.” The doctor tells me as two green pills lay in his hand. I looked at them as if they were poison or something. “They’re not going to hurt you. I wouldn’t do that to you on the first day anyway.” He laughed as his hand fell on my right shoulder.

Taking them I downed them hoping they would help and help soon. Walking down the hall I began to notice just like everything else nothing had changed on the third floor. Did anything ever change? I didn’t think they did. Walking down the hall we came to a large room with the words playroom on the door. Opening the door it revealed children playing and children listening to story time. Some children looked up as we entered.

The room had some color to it, but not as much as you would think for a children’s hospital. The walls were painted blue with a little red clock on the east wall. Toys, books and stuffed animals were everywhere.

“Children this is Myra.” Nancy announced as we stood in the doorway. “She will be covering the night shift.” I looked over at her with fear filling my body.

“The night shift,” I said as if it sounded like a bad word. “When I talked to you on the phone you said I would be working the day shift.”

“Oh, we had to change a few things at the last moment.” Nancy tells me   as I could tell something was up.

Not letting it get to me I stepped forward and began talking to some of the children. Most of them were glad to see me and happy for the most part. However, I could see sickness and sadness within their eyes. After I got to know some of the children I saw a little girl around age five sitting in the corner of the room. Her small body sat in a chair as she held onto a little brown teddy bear. Going over to her I sat in a chair next to her.

“Hi, I’m Myra, what’s your name?” I asked her as I watched her tighten her grip on her bear.

“Cynthia,” the little girl replied as she avoided making eye contact. Her raven hair was in two perfect pig tails as her eyes looked to be the color of green jade stones.

“What a pretty name.” I say as I saw some paper and crayons sitting on the small table. “Have you been drawing?”

Nodding her head yes she looked me in the eyes for a few quick moments and then began writing something down. I sat there until she finished.

“Does she know?” Dr. Bender asked as Nancy and his self watched as I played with the children.

“No,” Nancy said in a whisper as she put a piece of paper in front of her so none of the children saw her.

“Good, keep it that way.” Dr. Bender answered as his hands rested behind his back. “If this is what will take care of it then so be it.”

Cynthia handed me the small piece of paper. Written in red crayon was the word RUN! My blood went cold as I saw what was written on the paper. “What do you mean?” Before Cynthia could respond Nancy came over.

“Ready to see the rest of the hospital?” She asked. Doing my best to fold the paper before she saw it I began folding it faster. It was too late. I could tell that Nancy had seen the paper and what it’s connects was.

“Yes,” I answered as I told the children I would be checking in on them latter. Leaving the room I asked Nancy a question. “What did Cynthia mean by run?” I asked.

Nancy kept calm. “You know you and Cynthia look a little bit alike don’t you think Dr. Bender?”

“Yes, indeed you do look somewhat alike.” Dr. Bender agreed as a smile came to his face. “Other than the hair and eyes you two could be sisters.”

“Nancy, you didn’t answer my question. Why did she write that?”

“I don’t know, Children have wild imaginations,” She spat. Somehow I didn’t by this. Walking farther down the hall we came to the children’s rooms. Each door was neat in a row with their names on the door.

“This is your room.” Nancy told me as she opened the door at the end of the hall. Seeing the room I began to feel as if I was having a panic attack. This was my old room all those years ago. I could still see it as clear as day. I would sit on my bed and hope my parents would come for me or write them letters begging and pleading to come get me. This was all too real. Everything was the way I remembered it, from the hospital building, to the inside and now my room.

I put a hand to my head. I felt like I was going to be sick. “Are you alright Myra?” Dr. Bender asked.

“I just feel dizzy that’s all. I guess I’m tired.” I answer as I began to find it hard to stand. Either this was becoming too much for me or those pills were taking effect. If that was the case then I didn’t know what to expect from those pills.

“Why don’t you rest for a while? Your shift starts in an hour.” Nancy told me as I looked out the window. It sure got dark quick.

Telling them I was going to lie down I shut the door as they left.

“What was written on that paper?” Dr. Bender asked as they headed down the hall and got on the elevator.

Pulling the piece of paper from her pocket Nancy handed it to the doctor. Opening it Dr. Bender saw the words written in red. “Get rid of it. I will not have this girl scaring the other children as she once did.”

“Yes, Sir,” Nancy replied as she ripped up the paper. Putting it back in her pocket she would take a lighter to it later.

“We shall see how long she stays around. That is if SHE doesn’t get to her first.” Dr. Bender’s voice was hard and cold as an evil smile came to his lips.

Leaning up against the door I tried to take all this in. Why was I feeling that I was being taken back all those years ago? Deciding to call my parents I picked up the phone and dialed their number. It rang and ran. “Oh, pick up please pick up.” I said into the phone.

“Hello,” it was my Mother’s voice. “Mother, oh thank god you picked up. “

“Why dear what’s wrong?” my mother asked as her voice became worried.

“Everything it seems. I arrived and nothing’s changed. Everything’s the same as it was all those years ago. The building still looks the same as the does the inside. I even have the same room as before.”

“I’m sure you are over reacting. All you need is a good night’s rest.”

“Is that Myra calling already? Tell her that it’s all in her mind, just as everything was all those years ago.” I hear my father yell. But the thing was It wasn’t just in my mind this was all real. “I guess you’re right.” I say into the phone. “Mother, I’m so scared.”

“Everything’s going to be fine you will see.” Mother reassures me. “You’ve wanted to be a nurse since you were eight.”

“I know mother. I know I have.” I agreed with her as I began to get a little home sick. “I’m going to unpack my things my shift is in an hour. I have the night shift.”

“The night shift, honey are you sure you’re up for the night shift your first night?” Mother asks as I can hear her cleaning dishes.

“It’s what they gave me…from now on.” I tell her as I began to wonder if I took the right path for my life.

“Oh dear, well I hope everything goes well. Call us whenever you need to talk. We love you very much Myra.”

“Love you too mother. Tell Daddy I love him to.” I say into the phone. I felt as if I was going to start crying. I held it in and hung up the phone. As soon as the phone was put back I let the tears fall. If I knew things were going to be this bad then I wouldn’t have come back.

As I put everything away a storm began coming in. Great, just great, first night on the job and it storms. Before I knew it the lights were out. Grabbing my flashlight I sat it by my bed. Lying down I shut my eyes hoping I would get some sleep before my twelve hour shift (or more) started.

I could feel myself going in and out of consciousness as I tried getting sleep. Lighting began to light up the sky as I could hear the thunder roll and rain beat down on the old hospital. Before I knew it I was wakening from a nightmare. Sitting up in a cold sweat I began to feel uneasy. Hearing something near or maybe it was far? No it was near I could hear it getting closer and closer. Looking towards the door I didn’t see anything. That was until lighting lit up the sky.

I saw HER standing there. Nurse Ruth was standing there with that same craze look on her face and with that needle in hand. Her hair and body was still drenched in blood. She was just as I saw her before. The room began to smell like death. Shutting my eyes I began telling myself. “She’s not real, She doesn’t even work here anymore, right?” That really did it. Was Nurse Ruth still employed here? I could only hope not. Opening my eyes again I saw a figure still standing there. The lighting lit up the sky yet again and I saw Cynthia standing there looking as scared as ever.

“What is it sweetie?” I asked catching my breath. Picking up the flashlight I turned it on.

“I’m scared and I can’t sleep.” Cynthia whispers.

Getting out of bed I go and open my door. “Let’s get you back to bed I’m sure your tired.” I say leaving my room.

“No, she’s here.” Cynthia replies in a scared voice. Still standing in my room she looks as if she had seen a ghost.

“Who Cynthia?” I ask going back into my room and sat on the bed. Getting onto my lap little Cynthia began to tell me.

“Her name is Nurse Ruth. She appears when it storms like this or when”

I got a lump in my throat at hearing her name. “When what?” This was beginning to scare me as well and I was a grown woman.

“When little girls come in looking like…you” Cynthia finished her story. By now I was ready to get out of here I didn’t care if it was night. I was just ready to get out…alive!

“It’s time for bed and It’s time for my shift.” I tell her as she gets off my lap. Walking her back to her room I tuck her in and tell her she can keep one light on. Telling her I would see her in the morning I shut the door and got busy for it was to be a long night.

Sitting at the front desk and walking the halls I did my best to keep my mind clear. If I thought about what Cynthia said now I for certain was going to drive myself crazy. Hearing the rain beat down I began to feel as if I was going to fall asleep. Shaking my head I sat the flashlight down and picked up my book of Gone with the Wind. I had read that book front and back so many times I could possibly sight the whole thing. The movie was due to come to England this coming year. I couldn’t wait to see it. That is if I lived through the night shifts.  

“Come on Scarlett, you’ve got to know how much Rhett cares for you.” I said aloud as I tried to reframe myself from yelling at the book. Getting lost within my reading I didn’t hear the footsteps that got closer and closer. “Reading Gone with the Wind I take it?” a voice called out. Jumping a little I looked up. “AH, you scared me.” I said dropping my book. “Yes, I’ve read it many times.”

“I’m Mary Smith.” The lady announced as she stuck out her hand. “I didn’t mean to scare you.”

Shaking it I did the same. For some reason this nurse looked as if I had seen her before.  Her slight British accent came and went. I could tell she wasn’t from around here. She smiled her sweet smile and we continued talking. “I’ve never read the book. My sister did however.  Read it in two days. I’ve always thought of Scarlett has a spoiled southern belle that needed to be smacked.”

I laughed at her remark. In a way that was true. Scarlett did need to be put in her place. Putting my bookmark back in the book I put it aside. Talking with one another would put me a little at peace. “First night shift?” Mary asked putting her arms on the desk.

“Yes afraid so,” I agreed as I wish I had a different shift. “I wish I had a different shift. I wasn’t expecting to do the night shift my first night.”

Mary found this odd. “When I first started I got the day shift.”  Mary thought and thought. “No other nurses that I know of have ever done the night shift for their first shift.”

Shrugging my shoulders I shinned my flashlight at her and began walking down the hall to check on the children. The storm really threw us for a loop. Lucky for the children we had a backup generator. Hearing feet down the hall I called out, “Go back to bed the storm will pass shortly.”  A few moments later I heard them again. Sticking my head in on some of the children I found most of them asleep. Shutting Lucy’s door I headed down to Roberts room. Resting my hand on the cold handle I looked to my right as I thought I saw something move.

Guiding the light over to it I couldn’t believe what I saw. I saw blood all over the wall and floor. Stepping closer I knelt down to get a closer look. Putting my finger in it I held it to my nose. Yep it was blood alright. Catching my eye I saw that it went up the wall. Looking up I saw blood coming from the next floor. What the heck? I asked myself as I saw it thick as if it were to come through the ceiling. Turning back around to go get a mop I saw HER standing there again. Ruth had that same look on her face as before. The look of anger and hunger filled her eyes. Stepping back I found myself falling backwards as I slipped on the blood. Falling back I began backing up. Before I knew it I was helpless.

“What do you want?” I asked it as I tried to think she wasn’t there. Coming towards me with the needle I began screaming. I could hear fast footsteps coming down the hall. Looking up I saw Mary standing there.

“What happened?” She asked helping me up.

“I was checking on the children when I saw something out of the corner of my eye. I went to go check. When I got down here there was blood all over the floor. The next thing I know I was seeing HER and she was holding a needle in her hand as she came towards me.”

Myra, there was no blood there on the floor.” Mary told me as she looked at me as if I was crazy or something.

“Of course there was. I saw it.” I answered back as I tried defending myself.

Mary shook her head. Dropping the blood she asked me something else “ who is she?” Mary asked as we sat in the lounge getting a drink.

 I downed the water before answering. “Her name was Nurse Ruth. She was my head nurse when I was here 20 years ago.” I answered as I began staring off into space. “I don’t know what she wants. She looks at me as if she wants to kill me.”

“Why don’t we talk about something else to get your mind off of this talk.”

Nodding my head we began talking about the children. “What’s wrong with some of them?” I asked.

“Timmy has leukemia. He’s been alright here lately but early last autumn we thought we were going to lose him. Lucy is in need of a kidney transplant. She’s barley nine and she’s been on the list since she was six.”

“That’s awful.” I say as I known know that my condition was nothing compared to some of these poor children. 

“Robert has a broken left arm and a broken right leg. He fell from a tree about three weeks ago. You remember the little girl with the freckles, along with her two front teeth missing. You’ve seen a walker by her?” I remembered her. Her lovely golden hair lay in ringlets as she played happily. She didn’t have a care in the world “That’s Sally she has polio. She has a hard time with it, but she doesn’t think of it as bad. She’s had it since she was born. The doctors say she’s lucky to be walking now.”

Now I knew what I had and still have was nothing compared to these children. I grabbed a piece of paper and began writing these things down for my own good. “The little boy with the sandy blond hair that has the green eyes that’s Earnest the doctors son.”

“Dr. Bender has children I didn’t even know he was married.” I say as I’m sure there is shock written all over my face.

“He was his wife died in a car accident three years ago. Earnest is twelve years old. He’s one of the oldest children here. He is suffering from Tuberculosis. You will only see him with the other children for a few hours out of the day. The doctors tell Dr. Bender that he is to rest most of the day.”

For the first time I for once felt sorry for Dr. Bender. “What about Cynthia? What’s wrong with her?” I ask scared to know the answer.

“She suffers from severe Seizures. She has seizures known as Tonic-clonic seizures.”

“Which causes the person to either become stiff or began twitching or loss consciousness.” I say as I began feeling sorry for this little girl I had only known over night. “Don’t tell me anymore.” I say as I find myself not being able to handle it right now. Putting a hand to my head I found that it began to hurt along with my cough coming.

“Myra, I think you’re just over tried.” Mary tells me as she gets me another glass of water. “Why don’t you go lie down and I will take over the rest of your shift.”

“I couldn’t let you do that. You’ve already worked your shift. I’m sure you’re tired as well.” I respond as I found this very kind, but I just couldn’t take her up on her offer.

“Not really. I barley get sleep and I’m alright with that. I’m the kind of person that can go on four to five hours of sleep.” Mary tells me as we leave the lounge. “Go, I’ll be fine. Besides your shift ends in an hour anyway.”

Really? I looked at my watch it read 6:30. Wow the shift really did go fast. Thanking her I went to my bed hoping I could get some sleep. Getting into bed I shut my eyes and slept till eight that morning.

“Myra?” I hear someone call my name. Opening my eyes I see Nurse Mary and Nurse Nancy standing there.

“What is it?” I asked sitting up. Rubbing my eyes I turned to look at them.

“It’s Cynthia she’s having a seizure.”

As those words rolled off of Nancy’s tongue my eyes go wide. Getting up quickly I grab my long white coat. Putting it on I ran out of my room. Heading down the hall I find Cynthia lying on the floor. A few other children along with another nurse are there. “Get these children out of here now.” I say coming down the hall. Seeing that the children were away I see a nurse holding her down. “You mustn’t hold her down.” I say as I zero in on what is going on.

Getting to Cynthia side I can see fear in her eyes. Pushing a piece of hair from her face I tell her everything’s going to be fine. “Someone get me something to support her head.” I yell as I look up to see them standing there. “Now!” I yelled. One of them went to get a pillow. Checking for breathing I began to calm down as I know she is breathing. Taking her hand she knows I’m there for her. After a little while the seizure stops and everything is back to normal.

Having Harry pick Cynthia up he takes her back to her room. “Cynthia, can you tell me what happened?” I ask her.

“I was heading to the playroom after I had eaten breakfast and that’s when it happened.” Cynthia says as she hugs her bear. “How did you know I had seizures?”

“Nurse Mary told me earlier today when I was on my shift.”

Moments later Dr. Bender entered the room. “You gave us quite the fright there Cynthia.” He says as he pulls out a few things. Checking all her vital signs he found them good as new. “Here in a little while Nurse Myra is going to give you your medicine.”

Following the doctor out of the room I turn around and tell her I will see her later. Shutting the door I began asking him questions. “No one told me that she took medicine for this.”

“Yes, she does Ms. Andrews she takes them right before breakfast.” He says as he writes something on her chart.

“Cynthia told me that she has already had breakfast. She didn’t tell me anything about medicine.”

“That is why it’s your job to see that she takes them is that clear?” Dr. Bender hissed as he began walking down the hall.

Then and there I just wanted to quit my job. I knew from the moment I walked into this place nothing had changed and not a thing was going to. Walking back into Cynthia’s room I gave her, her medicine.

Walking back into his office Dr. Bender found Nurse Nancy sitting in a chair. “Did you take care of that note?” He asked sitting behind his desk.

“Yes, I burned it last night while everyone else was asleep.” Nancy tells him as she has a dark smile on her face. “Nurse Mary told me the weirdest thing this morning.”

“Oh,” Dr. Bender says as he sits up and begins to listen.

“It appears last night when Myra was checking on the children she saw blood on the floor. The next thing Mary hears is her screaming. I guess they talked in the lounge. Myra told Mary that when she turned around she saw HER standing there with this crazy look on her face.”

“It appears Ms. Myra Andrews has met her old nurse.” Dr. Bender says in a cool voice. “We are to do nothing about this. If she ask you or anyone else tell them that they are to tell her that they have no idea what she is talking about. Is that clear?”

“Yes sir,” Nancy said getting up as she puts her cigarette out.

That night crept up faster than I could blink. Sitting yet again at the front desk I tried to get the events of today out of my mind. Grabbing my book I began reading. On this night I was the only one on staff. Mary was on every other night with me. A little past one I reach over to get a tissue. To my surprise there aren’t any. Walking down the hall with my flashlight in hand I come to the supply closet. Unlocking it with my key I step in to get some tissues. As I began looking for them I hear something. Turning around I see something tall standing in the door way. Shinning the light on it I found HER standing there once again. Trying my best to get around her Nurse Ruth grabbed my arm before I could make it past the door.

Doing my very best I tried to get it free. Jerking and jerking I knew that screaming would do me no good. I was the only one there besides the children. Holding on tight to my arm she came at me with that needle. Scratching and clawing her arms I tried my very best to get away. I found this rather odd. Wasn’t Nurse Ruth a ghost? I had to be losing my mind, unless that’s what everyone wanted me to think. Moving my mouth over to her white colored arm I bit down. Screaming she let go of my arm. I ran from the room and down the hall to the desk. Looking back only once I saw her coming after me. Getting back to the desk I grabbed the first thing I saw a pair of scissors. Before I had the chance to stab her I hear a child’s voice.

“What are you doing?” the voice asks. I look over to see Ernest standing there.

“Nothing,” I say as I sit the scissors down and look at him with a smile. “What are you doing up? You’re going to get sicker then what you already are.” I tell him as I come from behind the desk.

“I heard screaming and I wanted to come see what was wrong.” Ernest answered.

“Nothing’s wrong. Let’s get you back to bed.”

“But I wanted a drink of water.” Ernest says. Getting him a drink of water he went back to bed. “Dad told me that what you see isn’t real.”

This made my heart jump. Now all the children knew what I saw and probably thought I was crazy. Not knowing what to say I send him off to bed.

Sitting back down I began coughing. Taking out two pills that the doctor gave me I downed them and prayed that morning would get here soon. While taking a drink of water I noticed the imprint of her hand around my wrist. Dropping my water bottle I looked horrified at my wrist. If Nurse Ruth was capable of doing this, I could only imagine what other things she was capable of doing. Picking up my water bottle I shook my head and shut my eyes. "Please God let morning get here soon." I prayed wondering if I would live to see the morning light.  Lucky for me it did. Within a few hours my shift was over and I was able to go get some rest.

Around three o’clock I was sitting watching a movie with the children. It was one they had seen countless times before. The children sat there with eyes wide as the evil witch from snow white stood at the window.  As a few of them sat a little farther back while I noticed a few got closer and closer. “Not too close to the projector.” I say. I began to notice Cynthia was sitting in her chair as if she was going to jump out any moment. Before I knew it she was sitting in my lap as if she was scared of the movie.

“The prince is going to come isn’t he?” She asked as if she didn’t know the answer.

“Cynthia, you’ve seen this movie dozens of times. You know what’s going to happen.” I say as I start playing with her hair. Her hair reminded me of a baby dolls. It was always in perfect order not a hair was out of place.

“I know he does, but sometimes I think he couldn’t come soon enough.” Cynthia whispers as she holds her bear to her mouth.

That following night after the movie I sat in the lounge eating dinner when Harry walked in. “Harry, can I talk to you for a minute?” I asked.

“Sure Myra, what about?” Harry asked taking a seat across from me.

Looking out the door and around the room to make sure no one else heard me I leaned in so I could tell him. “Have you ever experienced anything here that you couldn’t explain?” I asked looking him in the eyes.

He sat there for a moment and looked at me as if I was crazy or something. “I don’t know what you mean My,” As he used my nickname for me.

“I mean seeing a lady dressed in a white nurse uniform drenched in blood holding a needle with a crazed look in her eyes.” I say as I fear what he will think of me.

“No, I’ve never seen such a thing My,” Harry answers as he has that look on his face that I feared he would have. “I think you’ve been reading too much.” Patting my hand he departed from the room.

“But I know what I saw and what I’ve seen.” I say to myself as I know now I’m by myself in this. Mary didn’t believe me, Nancy wouldn’t I knew that for a fact and now Harry probably thought I was crazy.

 I only knew one person who would talk about such matters or I at least how they would. I had about an hour before my shift would start.

Taking the elevator to the second floor I arrived in front of Dr. Bender’s office. Taking in a deep breath I knocked. “Come in,” I hear him say from behind the door.

Opening the door I walk in. Walking up to his desk I stood there until he looked up. “Can I help you?” he asked as if I had disturbed him or something.

“I need to talk to you before my shift started.” I say trying to keep calm on what I’m about to talk to him about. Getting a glimpse out his window I could tell it was becoming darker by the second.

“What about?” He asks looking into my eyes. But something in his eyes seemed so evil. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but I knew something just wasn’t right. Before I could begin I began to get nerves and when I got nerves that was when my cough could kick in. “Take these,” holding out yet again two green pills.

I have my hand on my mouth now as I look down at his hand. No, I wasn’t going to take them. I knew something was going on here. “No, I won’t take them.” I say as I did all those years ago.

“Still stubborn as a bull I can see.” Dr. Bender says as the smile fell from his face. “I can assure you these pills will help you.” Something told me to take them even if I didn’t want to. Taking them I took a drink of my water and they would soon be in my system. “Now what was it that you wanted to talk to me about?”

“I keep seeing her.” I tell him as I feel a big weight lifted from my shoulders. Little did I know it wasn’t being taken off it was just getting weight added to it. “Nurse Ruth from all those years ago, you’ve got to remember her.”

“As a matter of fact I do.” Dr. Bender says as his hands were grasped together as his chin rested on them.

“Why do I see her? Why is it that I can see her and no one else can? Besides the children?” I ask not really wanting to know the answer.

Dr. Bender sat silent for a moment. “I’m not to tell you,” Was his reply. I couldn’t believe it this doctor couldn’t tell me why.

“You know something and I know you and the rest of the staff no something what is it?” I yelled as I bang my fist on his desk.

“Keep your voice down Myra. Or I will have you thrown out of this office do you hear me?” Dr. Bender commanded as he now stood up.

“If you won’t tell me I will go to someone who will.” I say turning for the door. This was nonsense why was this happening to me?

“Who are you going to ask? No one believes you. They all think you’re crazy.” Dr. Bender laughed.

Turning back around I sink into a chair as a daze fills my eyes. It was just as I feared everyone thought I was crazy. “Now Myra, why don’t you go be a good girl and go to your shift.” The doctor says as he looks at me.

“I won’t go until you tell me.” I say as I finally stand up and marched over to his desk. “I know about your son.” Not answering Dr. Bender just looks at me. “Oh, yes, I know perfectly about your son. He’s very sick and can’t come out of his room half the time because it may spread to the other children. As his father you won’t even go and see him.”  This got the doctors attention. “Now tell me why she is after me.”

Sitting down in his desk chair the doctor began. “She thought you didn’t get what you deserved all those years ago. She thought you deserved something much worse.” Dr. Bender finished as he looked at me.

“Why?” I asked as I was almost pleading him to find the answer.

“That is all for now Myra,” Dr. Bender says as he dismisses me.

“No I won’t leave I WANT TO KNOW THE WHOLE TRUTH!” I yelled at him as I began to get very agitated.

At hearing the commotion two men one being Harry come into the room. Snapping his fingers they took hold of my arms. “NO, NO,NO!” I began yelling as I remember all those years ago.

“One way or another Myra you will learn how this hospital operates.” Dr. Bender tells me as the grip on my arms becomes tighter. “Take these keys and lock her in. I won’t have her scaring the children.” Handing the keys to Harry “If I remember right this is just as it was 20 years ago.” Snapping his fingers yet again the two men left the room.

Exiting the room I look to my left to see Mary, Nancy and the rest of the staff standing there. The look of horror was imbedded into my eyes. I had been betrayed by everyone in that hospital. I had truly been on my own from the moment I arrived here.

“Let me go. Please let me go.” I beg as I turn to look at Harry. “I’m not crazy I swear I’m not crazy!” I tried kicking I tried everything to get free. Before I knew it we were on the third floor and I was being taken to my room. The door was thrown open and I was thrown in.

 “I’m sorry Myra, but it has to be this way.” Harry tells me as the door closes. I can hear the lock being turned.

Running towards the door I bang and pull on it. Tears of pain and tears of betrayal came without warning. I knew I should have never come back. Thinking quickly I remember the phone. I ran over to the phone to pick it up. “Hello, hello operator.” I say into the phone, but all I got back was silence. The phone had become disconnected. Resting the phone back down I rest my head on the receiver. This was the end of me I just knew it. I wouldn’t make it through this night. My sobs grew louder and louder. The tears made their way down my face and onto the table top. Looking up I saw that it was now completely dark. Looking over to the left of my window I saw HER standing there. Rushing back over to the door I began screaming. “SHE’S HERE LET ME OUT! PLEASE LET ME OUT. SHE’S HERE!” This did nothing. Looking back once I could see her as the light in my room began to sway back and forth. She was coming closer and closer and there was nothing I could do about it. 

Cynthia along with the rest of the children were playing in the play room when my cries could be heard. “Children stay here.” Nurse Nancy tells them as they look towards my door. Cynthia knew better. Running from the room she ran down towards my room. “CYNTHIA, GET BACK HERE!” Nurse Mary yells after her.

Before long Cynthia was at my door. “Myra,” she called. “Oh, Cynthia, thank God you’ve come. Run to Dr. Bender’s office and get the key and hurry she’s here this very moment.” I tell her as I try to keep calm for her sake.

 “Where’s the key?” she ask as she leans against the door to hear me.

“It’s in the middle drawer in his desk. Hurry,” I cry out as I know it’s only a matter of time. Moments later I could hear her feet as she ran down the hall. Every minute counted if I wanted to get out alive. Turing yet again I saw that she was closer now much closer. Still screaming I tried my best to beat down the door.

Running quickly down the stairs Cynthia finally arrived at the Dr. Office. “Dr. Bender one of the nurses needs you.” She says as she tries not to show that she’s run out of breath.

“Why didn’t one of them come get me then?” Dr. Bender asked. Shrugging her shoulders Cynthia hoped he would leave soon. “Alright, then” Getting up he left the room. Running over to the desk Cynthia got in the middle drawer. Finding the keep she picked it up. “I didn’t need you, either one of us did. It’s that little brat that tricked you.” Cynthia hears Nurse Mary say. Sticking the key behind her back Cynthia begins to make a run for it. Getting to the doctors door Nurse Mary, Nurse Nancy and the doctor stood there in her way.

“Where do you think you’re going with that key?” Dr. Bender asked as all three of them stood in her way.

“Getting Myra out of that room, she was telling you the truth.” Cynthia says as she intends to keep the key.

“Children have such imaginations.” Nurse Nancy laughed. “Cynthia, Nurse Myra needs to be put in a nice place where they will look after her,” Taking hold of the little girls arm.

“No,” Cynthia cries as she does her best to keep hold of the key. “All of you knew what Myra had seen and you’re going to let her die for it.”

“She’s getting what she would have gotten all those years ago.” Dr. Bender told Cynthia the truth. “Now be a good little girl and give me the key back.”

“No,” she spit in his face and kicked and screamed her way until she finally bit one of the nurses. Letting go of her Cynthia ran up to the third floor. Seeing the door in plain sight she started to pick up phase. Getting to the door she began turning and tugging at the door. “It’s not working,” Cynthia cries as she knows times running out.

“That’s because you have the wrong key my dear.” Dr. Bender’s cold voice came as all three of them stood behind her. Holding up the keys lighting lit up the sky as the storm was rolling in.

“Let me out. Please let me out. She’s getting closer.” I yelled as I banged yet again on the door.

“Let her out. She will die if you don’t.” Cynthia pleads with all her might thinking that pleading of a little child would do the trick. How wrong she was.

“Don’t give us that.” Mary answered. “That pleading won’t work on us and don’t you dare try crying it won’t work either.”

Jerking the key from the door Nancy pulled Cynthia and put her hand over her mouth. “If you make one noise you will suffer the same fate as she is.”

Eyes going wide Cynthia gasped as the hand still rested on her small mouth. Trying everything in her power she tried to get free to get the right key. There was nothing Cynthia could do expect stand there and listen as I would soon fight my own battle.

I knew if I turned to look once more she would be right on top of me. Looking for the last time I saw that Nurse Ruth was right there. Picking me up by my dress as if I was still that small child I looked her in the eyes. Throwing me across the room I hit the floor as I knew my time was up. Feeling my head smack the floor I began to get a server headache. If I thought the headache was bad then the sound of my broken bones didn't bother me all that much.

However soon the pain was shooting through my body as I began yelling out in pain. Doing my very best I try to pop my left arm back into place. Within a few short moments my arm was back into place. Screaming yet again I knew it was back where it belonged. This however couldn't be said about my broken ribs, right arm and right leg. Taking in a shoal breath I began coughing just as I had done for the past 20 years. Only this time I began coughing up blood. Tilting my head so I didn't swallow any of the blood I spit some of it out on the floor. I soon began to chock on my own blood. This made it clear that I wasn't to live much longer. I could feel blood fill my lungs as I tried my best to breath. Gasping for air I tried my best to stay awake. 

Coming to get me she picked me up again only this time throwing me to the same side I just came from.

I wanted to fight back, but I was so weak that I could barely lift my head off the cold floor. Turning my head to one side I saw her from the corner of my eye.  I could feel me once again being picked up like a rag doll. Blood was seeping from my head and many deep cuts.  I thought I was going to pass out from the lack of blood. With one of my last few breaths I yelled. “Why, why do you want to do this to me?” I asked her hoping I would get an answer. “WHY?” I screamed even if I was in danger not to. I was in dander anyway. I was for certain I was going to die and there was nothing I could do about that. 

“You were the worst child I had ever had at this hospital. You never got what you truly deserved.” Her voice was still as I remembered it cold, hard and hostile. The next flash of lighting came and I saw her evil face as I could tell she was about to do what she had wanted to do to me all those years ago.

In her right hand she held the needle that would seal my fate. Trying one last time I  tried clawing her eyes out to get free. If I got free what good would that do? I couldn’t leave this room. My strength was about out as I saw it come towards me. Knowing that my time was up I did nothing to fight back. Feeling the needle go in I let out a scream. How I hated needles. Feeling my body go limp and go numb I looked at her. “What-what was that?” I asked in a weak voice.

“Poison,” was the word that rolled off her tongue. Thinking back on it those pills that Dr. Bender had been giving me were just small things of it. That must have been why I was so tried all the time.  I drew in my last breath as a gasped escaped my lips. That’s what she had planned for me as a child? If I hadn’t gotten out of there when I did she would have killed me right then and there. Falling to the floor I just lay there in a pool of blood from the fight I had put up for so long.  

 I could hear her evil laughter fill the room as I knew that she had finally succeeded after all these years. I was no more at the hands of my own fear. I was killed because of it.

Opening the door Dr. Bender and the rest were not surprised at what they saw. After all this time they knew I was telling the truth. Cynthia sank down next to my body and cried her little heart out. Taking my hand in hers she found that it was cold as death. Blood ran down her small hand and onto her night gown. Soon she was covered in blood just as I was.

Looking at each other Dr. Bender, Nurse Mary and Nurse Nancy had evil smiles on their faces as they saw the scene in front of them. By the blackness in their eyes and hearts they knew their job was done. What they had started all those years ago was completed after all these years.

 THE END 

© 2011 scarlettlovesrhett


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

beaaaaautiful!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 19, 2011
Last Updated on June 28, 2011
Tags: horror, murder, dark, death

Author

scarlettlovesrhett
scarlettlovesrhett

About
Hi everyone I'm ScarlettlovesRhett and I've been writing for a while now. I've been writing on fanfiction.net for about three years now and I love it. I'm also a believer in God. I'm a lover o.. more..

Writing