Crooked Arrow

Crooked Arrow

A Story by George Love
"

April Fool and Cupid do not get along very well.

"

 

Crooked Arrow
 
April Fool’s Day was not a fun day for Cupid. As he shot his first arrow, it veered way off course and struck a utility pole. He checked the rest of his arrows and found all of his arrows bent just enough to make them fly off their marks.  He didn’t have that many marks today, but losing a day of match-making was not acceptable. The last day he lost was in September of 2001.
 
Trying to keep up with new demands for true love proved quite difficult in the new century. The boom of internet dating sites kept a constant supply of hopes and dreams for love flowing into his inbox every day. The pile grew ever taller during certain times of the year and prom season was horrible. 
 
As he looked over his list, the next five marks were at the high school. What harm would an errant arrow do if one boy got the wrong girl? He knew the true love thing might not happen, but then again most of his marks broke their intended’s hearts within a few months. The job seemed somewhat futile, but it was better than helping lost souls cross that stinking river!
 
To his great pleasure, he found each of his marks close to an intended. He knocked his arrows and let them fly. The first three arrows hit the intended marks, so Cupid breathed a sigh of relief. He took careful aim with the fourth and watched the crooked arrow sail past the intended and strike the wrong mark. To make matters worse, the mark was arguing with this unintended when the arrow struck. Two bitter enemies suddenly walked away, holding hands! 
 
The intended mark sat to herself, still crying over the letter she held in her hand. With all his strength, Cupid grabbed the one straight arrow he possessed and fired it. True to its flight, this arrow found its mark. Wiping sweat from his brow, Cupid knocked his final arrow.
 
The fifth arrow flew far off course and landed in the fountain. To his horror, the mark stood staring at the fountain, topped with a likeness of none other than Cupid. 

© 2008 George Love


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A nice write....love the thought of cupids crooked arrows.lol


Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So cute and funny. I loved it. Great write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thanks for this lovely little story. It provided a smile to my face, and produced a funny movie in my head. Nice job.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

198 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008
Last Updated on February 11, 2008

Author

George Love
George Love

Murfreesboro, TN



About
I am a retired Paramedic with over 20 years of Emergency Medical Services experience. While attending Middle Tennessee State University and Volunteer State College, I majored in Music, English, Preme.. more..

Writing
Power Power

A Poem by George Love



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..