Love Sent Message

Love Sent Message

A Story by George Love
"

An abusive relationship plays out in full view of a person who sincerely loves the girl and would do anything to save her.

"

 

Love Sent Message
 
She was perfect in his eyes. He knew she was far too pretty for him, far too connected for him and just simply out of his league. He watched her from a distance, admiring her every move. She moved so easily and gracefully as she walked down the street, down the hallway or did anything.
 
When she brushed her hair, she seemed to bring out the most brilliant shine that could not be matched. Other girls envied her hair. Long, shining and not a split end in sight.
Her eyes were the brightest he had ever seen. He could catch fleeting glimpses of them at times, but he quickly averted her eyes lest she catch him looking at her.
 
On the one occasion he had to be close to her, he felt very awkward, but he enjoyed every second of the few minutes they shared. He cherished those moments, though she probably quickly forgot them.
 
Every Friday night he watched her cheer for a losing football team and afterwards watched her walk off the field with the captain of that same team. He watched how she tried to comfort her boyfriend who cursed and ranted about the players, officials, fans, the coaches and even the weather causing them to lose. He watched her as she walked away, her hips swaying gracefully under the short cheerleading skirt, her long hair shining in the sparse light as he continued to clean the stadium.
 
Often he watched her until she entered the locker room, and then he would finish his job, pack his gear and go home. She usually came home later, and he would wake up, watch her get out of the car and silently sneak into the dark house after her curfew. 
 
As the season came close to the end, the rants by her boyfriend got worse. He even pushed her away one night and caused her to fall. He had to fight every fiber in his body to keep from running from the top of the stadium and punching the boyfriend out. He knew he could do it, but he watched silently as she picked herself from the ground, brushed her uniform off and walked with him to the locker room. 
 
Angrily, he completed his job, packed his gear as he did after every home ballgame and went home. He waited this night for her to come home. He was not sure why, but he did not go to sleep. He ever stayed dressed, as if something told him to be ready for something to happen.
 
They arrived at her house earlier than normal. She tried to get out of the car, but her boyfriend held her arm roughly. He refused to let her go. Her house was dark, so her parents were either asleep or out for the evening. 
 
He sat up, wanting to help, but she did not appear to be in any danger, and she climbed back inside the car to sit with her boyfriend a few minutes longer. He could tell they were making out and it made him feel almost guilty for watching them. 
 
Suddenly, he felt something was wrong. She sat up in the car and tried to get out again. This time, her boyfriend held her by the last thing he could grab, her hair. She was yelling at him to let her go this time, and then she yelled for help.
 
Like a flash he was at her side. He did not know how he got to her so fast, but he was there. She looked at him with a startled expression, then relief that someone heard her cry out. He smelled alcohol in the car, but none on her breath. Her boyfriend was a raging drunk at this point, and he was more than ready to fight.
 
He held her behind him as the football player exited the car. He was tall, and the alcohol made him feel taller. She hid behind her rescuer as her boyfriend took the first swing. He carefully and skillfully stepped aside as the errant punch landed solidly in the air and threw the attacker way off his drunken balance.
 
As the drunken boyfriend tried to regroup, he planted a solid right hook into his solar plexus and put the boy on the ground. He helped the girl of his dreams to her feet and saw she was cut, bruised and a little worse for wear. Her knees were scraped after falling down from her boyfriend’s rude push, her elbows cut from fighting him off inside the car and her right eye bruised from an elbow he threw at her on the way home.
 
With the boyfriend all but disabled, he helped her to his porch, turned on the light and tended to her wounds. She was surprises at his gentle touch, his mild speech and loving care he gave to each of her injuries. 
 
“Do I know you?” she asked. 
 
“I was there for you when you needed a partner in gym class,” he said shyly. “I live here, a couple doors down from you.”
 
“We go to school together?”
 
“Yes. I know you from school. I sit across the room from you in history.”
 
“How did you know to help me tonight?” she asked.
 
He thought for a minute while he placed an ice pack on her black eye. He took a short breath and looked straight into her face. He could not hide the truth from her any longer.
 
“I knew because I love you,” he said.

© 2008 George Love


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this story so much.
Not only is it well-told, but the story itself is beautiful. I liked that you didn't name the characters. I love the last line so much. It fits perfectly.
This is going in my favorites.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A knight in shining armor. Sometimes a tale of true chivalry is just what the doctor ordered.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is true chivalry .. i enjoyed it .. to have someone rescue you who cares this much would be wonderful.. i like the entire story , love the last lines , " I knew because I love you "

Chloe
xoxo

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

337 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 5, 2008

Author

George Love
George Love

Murfreesboro, TN



About
I am a retired Paramedic with over 20 years of Emergency Medical Services experience. While attending Middle Tennessee State University and Volunteer State College, I majored in Music, English, Preme.. more..

Writing
Power Power

A Poem by George Love



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Lil' Red Lil' Red

A Poem by OT


Sparkle Sparkle

A Chapter by Robin