White Moon

White Moon

A Story by George Love
"

Meeting int eh moonlight

"

 

White Moon
 
From the bright light of the early moon, he could see a very beautiful young woman. She stood on the end of the pier and moved gracefully as she walked towards him. She was breath taking, a true vision of young beauty in a white dress, which blew ever so softly in the light wind.   The waves from the ocean crashed lightly on the breakers, providing an almost surrealistic backdrop for the evening.
 
She drew nearer and he wanted to talk to her, but never before had a woman had this effect on him. Even after realizing who this gorgeous woman was, he had a hard time approaching her. This should be easy. Matt never had trouble with women. Matt was never tongue tied. Something about her was different and he knew it from the moment she placed her firm behind in the seat at the lifeguard tower.
 
Andrea walked slowly, gracefully, almost gliding as she returned from her stroll. Matt tried to act as if he had not noticed her, but he eyes held fast on her. Her tanned skin all but glowed through her flowing white dress, the delicate chiffon material billowing around her in the light evening breeze. 
 
She was now too close for his comfort. He had to do or say something to her or he felt his heart just might explode. To his surprise, she approached him. A slight friendly smile graced her lips, her eyes sparkling in the dimming moonlight and her dark hair glistening as it caught the vanishing glow of the moon. If Matt could freeze time, this would be his perfect moment. The woman right there, no attachments, no complications and nothing to take her away.
 
“You’re Matt right?” her voice floated above the sound of the waves ever so lightly as she engaged him.
 
“Yes, that’s right. And you are?”
 
“Oh, yes, I’m Andrea. They hired me while you were on vacation.”
 
“So, you are the one they hired without me. That’s okay, they need to stand on their own. I nursed them for five years and this year I have to see if this idea will sink or swim.”
 
“I think it will fly. The beach is so nice, I just love it here. Your sisters seem to love it here as well.”
 
“Daughters, and they do. They might be a little spoiled, but this beach brings out their best.”
 
“Oh, I didn’t know. I feel so silly now.” Her face reddened with embarrassment. Even in the dim light, her face glowed as the moon highlighted half her face.
 
“I’m not married. I’m a widower. Drunk driver took their mother a few years ago. The twins got out without a scratch. Paramedics told me she died instantly. She never knew the accident happened.”
 
“Oh Matt, now I am really sorry and I feel very stupid. That is terrible.” Andrea laid a hand on Matt’s arm so softly he barely noticed the touch. He felt his face go red as the energy of the touch began to sink in.
 
“The twins adjusted well, and I even learned to French braid. So many things those two have taught me over the years. I’m not sure I would have survived without them.”
 
“Well, them and this beach. Most of my interview was about Matt and how we have to do Matt proud this summer. I was ready to hire you, I think. It was funny.” She tossed her head back to let the wind blow her hair from her face. Matt saw nothing but a very charming and graceful woman in front of him. She turned to face him again and took his hand.
 
“Matt, is there a dance club close?”
 
“There’s a Country Western club down the strip. If you don’t like that, there’s hip-hop place over close to East Beach, then there are the gay clubs, and the tourist places. Why?”
 
“I’d love it you would ask me to dance. And I love Country Western, especially the two-step. You can dance?”
 
“I’ve cut a run or two in my day. Andrea, I haven’t been out much this year, so I’m a little rusty at all this.”
 
“I think we can knock some rust off your spurs, now come on and Cowboy Up.”
 
“In that dress?” Matt asked incredulously. “The light goes right through!”
 
“Oh, I still have my suit on beneath, but I have jeans and a t-shirt in my jeep. Give me a sec and I’ll be right with.”
 
Matt watched as Andrea whisked past him towards the end of the fishing pier. A bright yellow jeep parked at the end of the parking area close to Matt’s older Bronco. He didn’t pay much attention to the jeep earlier, but somehow he knew this was Andrea’s car. She returned within seemingly seconds sans the white dress sporting instead a flattering t-shirt and almost tight Capri length jeans. She was still breathtaking.
 
“Okay, do I look more cowgirl now?”
 
“I think you’ll fit in nicely. I’m still a little uneasy Andrea. There’s a lot I don’t know about you.”
 
“And even more I don’t know about you. Let’s just get to know each other and see where our hearts lead us.”
 
 
 

© 2008 George Love


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This story seems to be really straight forward. I don't know anyone who would do this with someone they just met. I thought it unlikely that Matt would tell Andrea about his wife when he first meets her. That is something private and dark that most people wouldn't tell someone until they were ready to. But I guess Matt was ready to. I like the story, especially the last line, "see where our hearts lead us."

"I'd love it you would ask me to dance." --- Add if after it.
"I've cut a run or two in my day." --- I think you mean rug not run.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

i like this .. you are a good story teller, lots of detail and it kept me interested..
Chloe
xoxo

wouild say more but my 2 year old son is crawling on me try to type ..

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This story seems to be really straight forward. I don't know anyone who would do this with someone they just met. I thought it unlikely that Matt would tell Andrea about his wife when he first meets her. That is something private and dark that most people wouldn't tell someone until they were ready to. But I guess Matt was ready to. I like the story, especially the last line, "see where our hearts lead us."

"I'd love it you would ask me to dance." --- Add if after it.
"I've cut a run or two in my day." --- I think you mean rug not run.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

It's easy to spot a George Love original. Another great write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

241 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 6, 2008

Author

George Love
George Love

Murfreesboro, TN



About
I am a retired Paramedic with over 20 years of Emergency Medical Services experience. While attending Middle Tennessee State University and Volunteer State College, I majored in Music, English, Preme.. more..

Writing
Power Power

A Poem by George Love



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sub Rosa Sub Rosa

A Poem by Robin


Haven Haven

A Poem by Dezaraye