Flashing Blues

Flashing Blues

A Story by George Love
"

Pulled over by a young, handsome traffic cop, the onlything she can think of is losing her daughter because she's going to be late picking her up from daycare again!

"

 

Flashing Blues
 
 
She could not believe her eyes. The police car behind her flashed his headlights at her and immediately turned on his overhead lights. He was pulling her over, and this town was known for intolerance when traffic violations were issued.  Their welcome sign said as much.
            The officer came to her window and requested her dirver’s license, registration and proof of insurance. That was a kicker! She never carried that insurance card. It stayed on her mantle at home, gathering dust until the next card showed up in the mail. She had insurance, so why did she have to prove it to this jerk?
            “I stopped you because you have a taillight that keeps blinking on and off. I was going to let you off with a warning, but without proof of insurance, I have to take you in or I can escort you home. Without that card, you don’t drive.”
            “But I’m on my way to daycare. I’m a single mom and I don’t have anyone to pick my daughter up for me. I have the card at home, I promise I do. I will bring a copy to the station or whatever, but please don’t make me late picking her up today. It’s my birthday.”
            “Sorry, you leave me no choice. Please turn on your emergency flashers and step out of your car. Place your hands over your head and face the car please. I don’t want to do anything unnecessary. This is hard enough as it is.”
            “You’re serious?”
            “Yes ma’am. I am afraid I have to do this. I can’t let this go, not in this town. I’m already logged as issuing a citation.”
            She looked him dead in the eye as she stepped out of her car. If it were not for the situation, she would be happy to see that tanned, rugged face and the clear blue eyes. He was the type person she would flirt with if the situation was different. Tonight, at this moment, she hated this man. Hated him with all her heart and all her being. What was she going to lose tonight because he had to meet his ticket quota?
            As the cuffs went on her wrists, she noticed how great he smelled. His touch on her wrists was firm, authoritative, but she could tell he meant business. He guided her head gently into the back seat. Her libido kept telling her he was kind, strong, gentle and good looking. Her brain kept telling her to pepper spray him. 
            He reached across her lap to buckle her seatbelt and she unconsciously moved forward close enough to brush her nose against his ear. His hand ran softly across her blouse and touched her just enough she knew he could feel her breasts beneath the silk fabric. His face reddened a touch as he backed out of the car, closed the door and transported her to the city police station.
            “I think I hate you for this,” she said.
            “I’m very sorry. I am following my chief’s orders, and I’m new to the force. I have to do as I’m told. Last time my child support fell behind, I almost went to jail myself. County lock up is no place for a cop.”
            “Oh, I guess I could feel sorry for you, but my daycare charges by the minute after six-thirty.”
            “Tell you what. I’ll speed this up for you. I get off at six. I can take you to the daycare and explain things, then we’ll get your car for you. It won’t be towed. I made sure of that.”
            “You’d do that for me?”
            “Yeah, you’re no hardened criminal. I checked.”
            “I still hate you.”
            “I know.”
            He kept his word to her and even had the judge take into consideration she was a single mother, down on her luck and she needed to pick her child up from daycare before they charged her and called CPS on her.
            “We don’t want to make this into a mountain of trouble for her.”
            “Very well, she’s free on your word, but if she shows up in my courtroom again, this will come back to haunt both of you.”
            “Thank you sir. I think she will comply.”
            “Ms Canada, please follow this officer to the property window and take care of your belongings.”
            “Thank you sir, and I’ll get that taillight fixed as soon as I can, tonight even and thank you again.”
            “You may thank your arresting officer, Ms Canada. He vouches for you, so that is good enough for me. You may pay the fine in thirty days.”
            He led her to the property window to collect her purse, cell phone, car keys and coat.   He held the door open for her as they walked out into the cold night. She pulled her coat tightly around her neck as he opened the car door for her.
            “Thanks, but I still hate you.”
            “I know.”
            He drove her to the daycare to pick up her daughter. She had five minutes to spare before they counted her late and added charges to an already high childcare bill. He again held the car door for her and strapped her daughter into a car seat. 
            “He’s nice Mommy. Is he your boyfriend?”
            “No, and he knows I hate him.”
           
 
Three Years Later
 
“Not again!” She said under her breath as the blue lights flashed on the police car behind her.
            As he approached her window, he had his left hand out of her field of vision. He carefully kept his hat pulled low over his eyes to avoid immediate eye contact with her as well. He remembered she could get a little feisty when confronted with traffic violations.
            She fished for the required license, registration and insurance card as he stood by her window. She knew she was not speeding, knew she wasn’t making illegal turns and her husband checked her car for her so she knew everything was functioning properly. Angrily she rolled down her window as his left hand came forward with the huge bouquet of roses.
            “Happy Anniversary! Still hate me?”
            “More every year!” she said as she exited her car and gave her husband a buge hug and kiss.  Three years earlier, they met at this same spot.

© 2008 George Love


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I thought this was adorable. Like another review stated, I too saw the ending coming, but it was very sweet and I love how you ended it. Her defiance and the fact that she is set on her "hate" tangent makes for a very well-written piece. I absolutely loved this. Thank you for entering it!

~Jade Mayhew

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I thought this was adorable. Like another review stated, I too saw the ending coming, but it was very sweet and I love how you ended it. Her defiance and the fact that she is set on her "hate" tangent makes for a very well-written piece. I absolutely loved this. Thank you for entering it!

~Jade Mayhew

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

oh, I saw the end coming, but it's still such a sweet surprise. That's a great story.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is awesome! I love how she keeps insisting that she hates him. Love and hate are so close in the heart. :-) Awww, how tender.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

LOL This belongs in my favorites, it made me smile, I love it!!

You really had me going, I didn't see that ending coming at all, not even a little bit. LOL
GREAT writing Pete!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is wonderful! It was kind of a hot little story...I loved the repeating lines where she kept saying "I hate you" it added flavor to the spice of this write....Oh, how I love happy endings! Excellent story for sure! :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very nice story for Valentines day...think i noticed one or two little errors, but other wise Great Write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Lol this is cute.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Awww, that's a nice story. I like how she turns around and marries him after defiantly saying she hates him. XD

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

362 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 11, 2008

Author

George Love
George Love

Murfreesboro, TN



About
I am a retired Paramedic with over 20 years of Emergency Medical Services experience. While attending Middle Tennessee State University and Volunteer State College, I majored in Music, English, Preme.. more..

Writing
Power Power

A Poem by George Love



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..