Singing In The Shower With a Stranger~ An Amusing True Story

Singing In The Shower With a Stranger~ An Amusing True Story

A Chapter by Constance
"

At 13, my first experience with being romanced... and I never saw my paramour.

"

I love singing. I love singing in the shower. I sing love songs that I like, I make up little songs of my own that I never quite remember the next time I'm in the shower.Usually, no one else is around to hear them. (Lately, of course, my 4 year old is. She loves to sing along.) One evening at a campground though, someone was around to hear. That was the longest shower I ever took.

 

We were camped just outside Denver. Being an obese kid, and not looking forward to the 13 mile trek we would be taking through downtown Denver on our pilgrimage to see the Pope, I decided to rest my aching back (everything aches when you are 13 and wear a size 24)by taking a long hot shower.

 

 

The shower rooms for ladies and men were in one little building that resembled a log cabin, complete with the knotholes and ruddy interior. I stepped into the women's side and started showering, singing my heart out as usual. I sang, I believe, Right Here Waiting by Richard Marx. That song was a young favorite of mine, and my friend Crystal and I had been a big hit when we dueted it for the 5th grade talent show.

 

 

I was halfway through the last chorus "Whatever it takes, or how my heart breaks, I will be..." when I heard someone clapping. It came from across the wall, in the men's showers. Then a deep Spanish voice said a word I didn't understand at the time, as I didn't learn Spanish until my early 20's.

 

 

"Buenisima! Mas! Mas!" I stopped cold, mortified, but then that deep voice started singing its own tune-- beautifully accented Spanish romance songs. When he finished, I clapped as well, and sang again. I sang my young heart out, trying as hard as I could to make my voice sound as beautiful to the listener as his song had to me.

 

 

We must have stayed showering for more than an hour and a half, I kid you not. I kept the water running, and just kept singing, until I heard his voice no longer.

I have no idea why, but I wanted to see my shower singing companion, though I knew from the voice that he was much older than myself; so I dressed quickly, tumbled my things together, and stumbled out of the shower hut as fast as my stubby legs would carry me. Alas,my mysterious Spanish friend was nowhere to be seen.

 

 

I was with my church group, and embarrassed to do so, but when they asked why I had been in the shower so long, I told the truth. Smiling all the while, as my Youth Group Director chewed me out for the inproprietyof sharing my songs in the shower with a "strange Mexican" and not returning as promptly as I should have, I felt like singing some more. I held my tongue.

 

 

I think about that stranger often when showering and singing. Each time I imagine him a little differently. I'm glad I never saw him. It was, after all, my first experience with being romanced.

 

What do you sing in the shower?


Constance



© 2008 Constance


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really enjoyed this it made for a delightful read, I especially like the contrasting duet and how strange and enjoyable the experience was. I like singing in the shower too, well almost anywhere really so I can identify entirely with this story. I tend to agree with the not seeing him part, it may have altered the experience to the point where it would no longer be extraordinary but instead uncomfortable. It's really good.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Ah, I love being caught in that kind of thing. I rember once when I was a 18yr. old, I was walking down a bridge over the Boise River, I was singing The Beatles, "Happiness Is A Warm Gun," at the top of my voice. I was singing the song with passion and gusto. I was at the bit that goes, "when I hold you, In my arms, and I feel my finger on your trigger, I know nobody can do me no wrong, because HAPPENESS, IS A WARM GUN!" I was having fun, and singing like you do when you think no one else is listening. Well, behind me on a ten speed was a guy in his late forties, looking like he obviously knew the Beatle song, he had a big s**t eating grin, and said as I looked on sheepishly, "I did not want to disturbe you, you were singing that so well!" I smiled, its always fun to share a piece of who you are with random strangers.
That was a fun story, and it is kind of cool that you didn't see him, much more left to the imagination that way. Thank you for sharing!


Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

319 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 26, 2008
Last Updated on April 29, 2008


Author

Constance
Constance

A Small Town in, KS



About
I write about my past, my own real experiences. Even my poetry is inspired by my life. I was, I suppose, born writing, making up stories and rhymes from about when I started to speak, but had to wait .. more..

Writing
Icons Icons

A Poem by Constance