Lest You Forget You (A Sonnet For My Daughter)

Lest You Forget You (A Sonnet For My Daughter)

A Chapter by Constance
"

Just a simple old fashioned sonnet written for my daughter.

"

Lest you forget to be true to thine self

Finding  else's opinions of more worth;

Please, always, place this verse upon your shelf,

For you were marked for greatness upon birth.

The Lord placed wonders in your tack-sharp mind,

Loveliness reigns all the way to your toes.

He made you smart, yet made you kind--

'Mongst other gifts, of which your mother knows.

Times will come when self-doubts ring as true,

Someday another may not think you great.

At those times muster strong the soul inside you

Lest you mistake a setback for your fate.

Remember who you are in times of woe:

The most important person you can know.

 

 



© 2008 Constance


Author's Note

Constance
This is a Sonnet I wrote for my daughter, in hopes that she will always remember her strengths, and forgive herself for her own weaknesses.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I thought this was a really wonderfully penned piece. I thought it was touching and very emotional. The imagery and word choice were divine.
Really great write :D

Posted 15 Years Ago


This poem still touches me very deeply, dear. It is clear to me, first hand, how much you love your daughter because I have seen it with my own eyes. Yet, this poem easily takes me further - allowing me to see your love for her with my heart.

On a literary level, this poem is extremely well written - which comes as little of a surprise really. You are an amazing writer with a firm grasp of words that allow you to convey your emotions very effectively. I never seem to be unimpressed. You write extremely well emotionally.

Yet, how well you write should not be the main focus for me here. I, instead, focus primarily on the love and compassion that you feel as a mother for your daughter. That is truly what keeps bringing me back to this poem. :o)

Posted 15 Years Ago


You daughter must feel honored. A very nice piece of writing. Sam

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is a very unique poem, and If I didn't know you wrote it for her I would think it was written for everyone. It has poise, spirit and elegances. I love it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Thank you, a child knocks you off of your butt, in terms of emotion!
This is a wonderfull blessing that you gave her.
Thank you for sharing it with me.

Posted 15 Years Ago


It is perfect.
Words of wisdom and understanding I am sure she will find opportunity to reflect on as the years go by.
I see how you have pared down the experiences of your life in order to pass a positive note to a loved one.
It says a lot about you.
Only the best of parents spend the time necessary to provide for their young, things they themselves may not have had.
Thus the child will enjoy these advantages.

Posted 15 Years Ago


A very loving tribute that I'm sure she'll cherish always.

Antonio

Posted 15 Years Ago


It is very beautiful and I am sure it will inspire her if she keeps it close. Did you have a specific style of sonnet in mind?

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a very lovely poem, very inspiring... (welling tears)... It reminds me how great a mother's love is. Thank God for moms like you and my wonderful mom....

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

523 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on May 20, 2008
Last Updated on June 21, 2008


Author

Constance
Constance

A Small Town in, KS



About
I write about my past, my own real experiences. Even my poetry is inspired by my life. I was, I suppose, born writing, making up stories and rhymes from about when I started to speak, but had to wait .. more..

Writing
Icons Icons

A Poem by Constance



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Her War Her War

A Poem by justjenn_2u