Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
He Sat In The Back.

He Sat In The Back.

A Chapter by Constance
"

Every moment we spent with him had a purpose.

"

Jacob was the one who always sat as far away from the teacher's desk as possible, and hunkered down to avoid being seen in class, by anyone. Stringy black hair fell to his shoulders, and his entire expression was one of defeat... alas, school was not an option for a boy of 13. He didn't have many friends in school, not close ones, anyway, but he showed up every day, served his time, and went home to his Playstation 3, where he would spend the evening stealing cars, skateboarding, and killing things. I'm sure you know a kid like him. He lives down your street, or is in your classroom, or has been, or may even be your brother or your son. You all know quite well, I'm sure, just exactly what Jacob was like, but this story is not about him, as much as about how Jacob affected me.

 

His last name was Acosta, Italian not Hispanic, he pointed out, the first day he saw me translating in his Science class for two of his classmates who didn't speak any English, and needed close attention to understand their assignments. Nevertheless, he always seemed to gravitate to the part of the room where my two students and I sat, and started to ask me for help on his assignments, first only with a look, his eyes pleading for assistance after he failed to find the answer to a question on his worksheet. He so rarely raised his voice to speak, and the teacher, a big, burly farmer with a rough exterior, didn't seem to mind that Jacob was silent, and rarely  returned his assignments. No doubt, the teacher thought, "Just another loser, not worth my time to try with", and I didn't blame him. After a few months working in a Middle School, I had found the old addage, "You can't teach a seventh grader" to be true. Most kids, at that age, are so full of hormonal change and rebellion that their studies mean nothing to them. Most. Yet, though he seemed to be struggling, and tried to go unnoticed in the classroom, I had an idea in my mind that Jacob really did want to learn, but that something was standing in his way. So, though he wasn't MY student, per se, I developed a bond with him, and treated him as though he were, always there when he asked a question, always offering whispered advice when he was too embarrassed to ask.

 

One day, as I was testing students in the library, Jacob's sixth hour Language Arts class filed in- Jacob, as usual, trailing behind the others. I watched, silent and unseen, as he approached the shelves of books, appearing at a loss for what to look for to reach his required independent reading points. The look on his face struck me, and I left my testing students to their writing assessments, and approached him. He smiled, but his eyes looked sad, and forlorn.

 

"What's wrong, Jacob? Having trouble finding a book?"

 

" Ms. S I hate reading!" His face flashed, suddenly, with what I knew was not pure anger, but frustration. He threw his current book on the nearest round table, and looked at me, as if to say, "Just leave me alone, already".

 

I didn't leave him alone.

"Why? I love to read. It's a wonderful way to escape reality for awhile. There are so many good books. They can simply set your imagination free..."

 

"Ms. S, please. There is NOTHING interesting in books. BOOOOORING. Besides, I'm not very good at it. At reading, I mean."

 

I sighed, and then an idea hit me. I looked at the book he had thrown on the table. It was a typical, bland teen drama, by an author I'd never heard of. The kind of book that the shelves at the Middle School were full of, sadly.

 

"That book does look boring, but I saw something over here you might like, Jacob. My favorite author. I'm surprised to see him in the Middle School Library. His name is Dean Koontz. Do you like to watch Science Fiction movies, or horror movies?"

 

"Sure, I guess. I do watch SciFi channel alot."

 

"Well, Dean Koontz writes about things like that, only the things that we have evidence are real, though of course his stories are made up. They are really adult books, I suppose, and they have some very adult language and things in them, so perhaps you won't be interested..."

 

"Show them to me." Now, his voice had changed. He was interested.

 

As we approached the row of Koontz's novels, I started to give a brief overview of what each was about. I had read them all. Jacob chose Demon Seed, an older Koontz novel, about a man who becomes tied to his computer, and merges with it... he almost ran to the checkout line, the first this time, not the last.

 

Over the next few days, I was ill. On Monday, I returned to school, and walked into the last hour Science class to work with Jacob and my students. As I walked in, I saw that his nose was not hitting the desk, but buried in a book. The book I had helped him to choose. I also noticed that he had a battered little paperback dictionary on his desk, close at hand. As class began, Jacob reluctantly put his bookmark in, and laid the book aside. I saw that of the some 300 pages, well over half had been read. I eyed his dictionary, quizzically. "I'm looking up the words I don't know, by myself. My grandmother told me that was how I should do it, when I kept asking her about words. I don't have to look up to many, but I want to understand what is going on. This is a really good book, Ms. S. Thank you..."

 

Months passed, and every Dean Koontz book in the school library flew through Jacob's hands, in rapid succession. Just before school ended for the summer, he ran out of them. I recommended a few other authors he should look at over the summer. I don't think that he spent much time playing video games, that summer before ninth grade.

 

In August, as school started again, I heard that Jacob Acosta had moved to a larger city nearby, to live with the grandmother he had mentioned to me, once. I missed him, but soon found myself caught up in the schoolyear, so many students to help, not enough time for them all...

 

And then, in September, my father called me one night. "Hey, I just read in the paper... Did you ever work with a Jacob Acosta? Name sounded Hispanic, and they said he went to your Middle School last year..."

 

I was hoping it was something good, but I knew, I just knew. My hand shook, holding the receiver. "I knew him, yea. What?" I know my father heard the urgency in my voice, and he hesitated.

 

"He was in a car wreck in Wichita, with an older kid with the same last name. The other kid lived, but Jacob was killed on impact."

 

I received that call in the evening, and thought of that kid until I passed out, and went to work at the school the next morning exhausted, with my head hanging low and my eyes still misty. All of the teachers  had heard, and flung it about the breakroom like it was just another news story. It bothered me, oh, yes, it did.

 

Jacob was the kid who always sat in the back, trying not to be noticed. Other than recognition of his name, he had succeeded in doing so with most every adult in the building, except for one Special Education teacher, and myself. She and I sat together during our lunch one day, aside from the others, and remembered him properly, for the sweet, eager child he really was, sharing stories of the times we had working with him, and getting to know him.

 

"You never expect these kids to die before you, just like your own.." she muttered, finally, "it's like the work you put into them, the will to learn you left them with, had no purpose..."

 

I stopped her short. "Every moment we spent with him had a purpose, and one that had little to do with learning to love reading, or learning to do math better while he was with you. He knew we liked him, noticed him, and cared about him, and about whether or not he learned. He died carrying that with him, at least. And, if you believe in a higher power, like I do, you know he isn't really gone. He's still carrying a little of us and the times we spent with him, with him, up there somewhere. Definitely up."

 

Not only does Jacob, up there somewhere, still know I care, but I know he also knows that there will never, ever, as long as I work in Education, be a child in the back of a classroom I don't talk to, and pick on until I can get them to open up. No more faceless, name-only students anywhere I work. No more. Rest in peace, Jacob. This is not the only thing I've written that I've written for you, you know...

 



© 2008 Constance


Author's Note

Constance
Yes, this is a true story, and yes, I got a little misty-eyed writing it, but constructive criticism is still welcome. I'd like to submit it to a publication for Educators when I have the kinks worked out, and feel it's ready.
The story also apparently doesn't end there. I never heard about it before, but, apparently, a few month's later, Jacob's mother committed suicide. I just discovered this in looking online for a photo of Jacob, and finding his mother's obit instead.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This was very sad, and very touching. It really speaks to me, because I was usually the quiet girl in school, and didn't have any friends. One day, our D.A.R.E teacher came up beside me and pressed his hands on my shoulder and said: "You have been really quiet this year, and I was just wondering how are you doing?" Of course those wasn't his exact words, regardless. I still remember that he cared enough to actually talk to me. He had really sweet blue eyes and was very tall. lol* Hr had to kneel down just to speak to me. Erll thanks for the awesome read. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This was very sad, and very touching. It really speaks to me, because I was usually the quiet girl in school, and didn't have any friends. One day, our D.A.R.E teacher came up beside me and pressed his hands on my shoulder and said: "You have been really quiet this year, and I was just wondering how are you doing?" Of course those wasn't his exact words, regardless. I still remember that he cared enough to actually talk to me. He had really sweet blue eyes and was very tall. lol* Hr had to kneel down just to speak to me. Erll thanks for the awesome read. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Constance this was really sad. There are so many lonely people out there, but it is especially sad when it's a child. He life was richer having had you in his life and giving that gift to read was a true blessing.

Beautiful story.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So sweet and sad... oh god...
You're an amazing woman, Constance. There are very few of you around. I'm in the area where teens are pretty much left to kill each other. The teachers can't be bothered with teaching us anymore. The colleges and schools round here are run down. The council estates are shabby and full of drugs and knives. Gun crime and knife crime is so prominent. My little brother nearly got stabbed in numerous occasions and runs round with a gang. It's people like you who actually do something to help! You're an amazing person. You gave Jacob a chance, and actually invested time in him. I'm sure he would thank you, if he could. There's so much emotion in this piece, I wish I could give you a hug right now!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was the first story I've read on this website and I liked it very much. I'm sorry for the loss and thank you very much for sharing.

I agree with you on a certain level about teachers not trying enough for the hormonal middle-schoolers. Compared to my high school teachers, middle-school teachers don't even come close to effort (with the exception of my honors English teacher).

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

333 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 4, 2008
Last Updated on July 18, 2008


Author

Constance
Constance

A Small Town in, KS



About
I write about my past, my own real experiences. Even my poetry is inspired by my life. I was, I suppose, born writing, making up stories and rhymes from about when I started to speak, but had to wait .. more..

Writing
Icons Icons

A Poem by Constance



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..