A Cowboy can't cry

A Cowboy can't cry

A Poem by lee von cleef
"

Loss

"

The cattle are hidden in
a thicket, along a flint hill’s gully,
and the rain rolls across the Kansas night,
thunder pumping, rolling
deep, throaty, hollow bellows.

Gods breathe and clouds slap.
Rocks and roots charge through
the narrows ripping at the
thickets.

Thunder’s rolling rhythm broken by
the calves panicked screams,
flashing, the flood quenches the
Kansas night.


Undercut or buried, the cattle are gone.
The distance carries their breath away.
The moon’s midnight watch echoes the
bawling calves.

And a cowboy can’t cry.
cold are the tears in morning coffee.

L.V.C.

© 2012 lee von cleef


Author's Note

lee von cleef
Save it for the early hours after a rain

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I can see the tears evaporating, uncried from the skyblue eyes. I can hear the cry that will never escape his throat in the questioning panic of the cattle.
I can feel the electric static of emotion held in the thin threads of a plaid flannel shirt. His solitude the only salvation from sparking into an inferno.

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Strong emotion all tightly bundled up in a neat masculine wrapping. Didn't know what to expect when Emma sent me here. Not this. Truly a unique piece of writng... strong and very male. And infused with strong feeling longing for appropriate expression. I heard that - even if my ilk doesn's always speak the same language. -- Thanks for posting.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Good thoughts and vision create by your words. Some life can be harder. We learn to move with the punches and hide the effects of a hard life. I like the story and the strong description in the outstanding poem.
Coyote

Posted 11 Years Ago


Lovely descriptive write Love how you painted the picture and last two lines sing. Cowboys don't cry heard so many times fits perfectly here.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Visions of the events in this piece rolled through as I read over and over again. It's absolutely very hard to get a cowboy to cry. I haven't cried in months. Awsome write! I want to continue reading your works.

Posted 11 Years Ago


As a former farm girl, I can certainly relate to your write. The reality of life, nature with its wrath can bring destruction in a heartbeat. Whatever happens in the moments of this kind of situation, one must carry on, put the past behind and keep on trucking. Your imagery is exceptional........"The moon's midnight watch echoes the bawling calves............WOW what a line! I can see them...........I can hear them....I can feel their wanton need!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

lee von cleef

11 Years Ago

thanks again
Very nice!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is naturally a real cracker, a good theme filled out with loads of good lines,almost a picture or photo rather than a poem, incredibly visual and well thought through.
Very good work.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
very nice..

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Evocative and memorable.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

2529 Views
50 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 19, 2012
Last Updated on July 19, 2012

Author

lee von cleef
lee von cleef

AR



About
Good morning,Thank you for stopping by. I like to write,I like to layer a story into a poem,I want to crack through to the reader,add emotion to life, theirs and mine. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Forever summer Forever summer

A Poem by Gee