Sinking Depths

Sinking Depths

A Story by Diamond Diaz
"

A hundred years into the future, 90% of the Earth is now covered in water. Evolution, combined with radiation from nuclear energy leaking into the ocean, has caused the surviving humans to mutate.

"

Lila Falkes glanced at ocean distastefully as she waited for the bus. She hated the water, mostly because she was the only person in her small town that couldn't swim. Everyone else were excellent swimmers, moving with grace and ease like they were dancing with the waves. Even her mother, who hated water more than she did, could swim beautifully. She, however, never learned nor had the notion to learn. Everyone else assumed she was crazy or illogical, considering they lived in a world that was 90% water. That’s why swimming became an art that everyone shared. Even animals had been trained to swim and last in the water for hours at a time. Her mother never pressured her to learn to swim, and since her first attempt nearly ended in her drowning, she never felt the notion to continue her lessons.

Her coach had been a crude man with a booming voice. He would always yell and his face always seemed to be red from it. He was quite plump, his balding head and squinting eyes made his face seem plumper than his belly. He was one of the evolved, his hands and feet webbed like that of a toad, which is why he taught swimming. She had never liked him, finding him irritable and unnecessarily mean to his students. So, her mother pulled her out of the program and she never had to deal with the water again. Since she was the only person who didn't swim, and most people her age spent all day at the beaches, she was quite lonely. This didn't bother her the way it bothered most. She was fine with going home and curling up with a good book. She had a small library that she treasured more than anything. Most people used electronic books, since most hard covers had been destroyed decades ago by the Great Wave. She loved reading of the magnificent cities that were now gone. She would read endlessly of the strange creatures that were now gone and the plants that couldn't survive anymore. She felt like she was plunged back centuries ago, where such places did exist and she could have lived hundreds of miles away from the water. She remembered her science class earlier, where her teacher had told her that in just a few short centuries, scientist predict the entire earth would be covered in water and that only the evolved would remain since they would be more suited to survive. She shuddered at the idea, grateful she probably won’t be alive to be a part of it.

The bus hovered over to her, its sleek silver body almost aquatic like. She had seen pictures of other buses, how they were big and bulky. Everyone found them hideous and poorly designed. She like them better than the fish like buses they rode, with their doors shaped purposely to look like fins and the rounded windows for the bus driver that held the same design as a submarine. The doors swooshed open and she hopped on, paying her fare and moving to the back. The soft cushions on the bus were comfortable to sit on, she must admit. She remembered her great grandmother telling her stories of how grateful she should be that the buses don’t run on fossil fuels anymore, that they were now powered by a combination of nuclear and solar energy. This was right before she died of cancer, brought on by the same nuclear energy that powered the same vehicle she was praising. Lila pulled out one of her precious hard cover copies of Gilligan’s Island, enjoying the wondrous places he describes. She must have read it about a hundred times. She knew every word, every phase, and every symbol by heart. She wished she could travel far away, but there was no where left for her to go. There were no mysterious islands or undiscovered lands. Just endless oceans and lakes and water that covered real cities and homes.

She was so engrossed in her book, she nearly missed her stop. Getting off, she put the book gently back in her bag and started her way home. The houses were all domed shaped in case of a hurricane, each easily withstanding a depth of 450 feet below the surface. The neighbors all painted color pictures of fish and coral to decorate their homes. They had mermaids and dancing starfish along the doors and windows, clear worship of the water. She sniffed, finding the notion ridiculous and tacky. Her house stood out above the rest because it was painted a golden yellow color and decorated to look like a desert. Cacti and tumbleweed were flecked in small parts and a rattlesnake stood above the door, its bright lime green eyes staring intently ahead. Most people were afraid to approach her house, finding the snake a bit unnerving. She didn't care, not wanting her home to be a tribute to the ocean that had killed millions of people in a matter of days.

“Hey, weirdo.” She heard a familiar, snickering voice called. She let out a deep sigh, not really in the mood to deal with this again. Thomas McLean, one of the big burly boys that went to her school, came over with his small posse of wannabes. He was easily 6’3 with rippling muscles hidden under layers of fat. His skin was slightly darker than her copper tone and he had dark brown curls that were cut into a buzz cut. Captain of the swimming team and son of the renowned aquatic researcher Morris McLean, as well as one of the evolved, she couldn't stand him. He had huge gills that flapped out when he was out of the water and his eyes could rotate like a fish, which she found entirely creepy. His voice seemed to resonance, almost like a dolphin, and it left her ears ringing after listening to it for a while. She said nothing, just put her head down and kept walking, praying today will be the day he ignores her. Not likely.

“Hey, ape, you deaf?” One of his friends, Gilbert, called. He wasn't visibly one of the evolved, but supposedly he could regenerate his fingers if they got cut off. Lila didn't want to know how they discovered that little trait, nor how they found out it didn't work with any of his other limbs.

“I think she is!” Another one called, flashing his rainbow colored teeth that were sharpened like a sharks. The boys stepped in front of her, blocking her path. Not again, she thought to herself.

“Come on, ain’t you gonna tell us what’s so interesting about that book you been reading?” Thomas laughed. He reached into her bag, where the corner of her book was sticking out, and snatched it. “What, you too good for digital books?”

“Give it back.” She replied calmly.

“Aww, the little ape girl wants her book back?” He laughed. He tossed it up in the air and her heart began to thump wildly in her chest. She could see the glue beginning to become undone. The book was too frail for that kind of rough treatment.

“Give it back, you oaf, before you break it!” She tried to grab it, but all she could grip was air. He laughed and teased her with it, watching her hopeless efforts to grab it.

“What’s the point of reading anyway, squirt? Not like you’re gonna amount to anything. You’ll just be a little devolved little girl living with her crazy mama.” He snickered. Hot tears formed in her eyes. She could feel her body shaking with anger and pure hatred.

“Come on, McLean, just give the girl her book back.” She heard a cool voice call. Her only friend, Tiffany, strode over to them, her chin held high. Her curly black hair was pulled back into a tight pony tail and her hazel eyes were hidden behind shades. Her jeans were cut to her mid thighs and her tank was shimmery. The sun glittered off of her chocolate-brown skin in a way that made it look like she was glowing. She smiled coyly, revealing her perfect white teeth.

“Get out of here, Jackson.” He snapped. She walked right next to Lila, ignoring his rudeness. She faced Thomas, her shoulders back and her chest puffed out. Her hands were balled into fists.

“Look fat a*s, just because you’re compensating for something doesn't mean you can go around picking on people. Give her back the book and return to moron corner over there.” She pointed one long finger at the corner he always hung out at.

“You are so lucky I wouldn't hit a girl.” He looked her up and down. “Although I’m not sure if you would count, since you’re just a devolved.” She stood on her tip toes, her face in a wicked sneer.

“I’m more man than you’ll ever be.” She spat. She swung her foot and kicked him right between the legs. He doubled over, his hands on his crotch, his face twisted in pain. She grabbed the book and took Lila’s hand. Tugging her shocked friend, they ran into her house.

“IMMA GET YOU JACKSON” Thomas yelled. His voice was slightly strained, but his eyes were full of blinding fury. They burst inside the house and doubled locked the door. Both girls struggled to catch their breath. Tiffany handed Lila the book back. She took it in her hand and cradled it against her like a baby.

“Thanks Tiff.” She looked up at her happily. Tiffany smiled and patted her shoulder.

“Don’t mention it.” She stood upright, pulling off her shades. “Looks like I’m stuck in here until that doofus leaves.”

“I’ll make you a snack.” Lila carefully put the book back in her bag and placed her bag on the sofa. They walked into the kitchen and Lila pulled out some crab meat. She tossed it in a pan and sprinkled some sea salt, kelp granules. Once it was done, she took out two small bowls and spoons and they began eating.

“Thanks.” Tiffany smiled. She chewed happily on her food, her eyes almost thoughtful.

“You’re thanking me?! You saved me from Thomas’ ego and you saved my book.” She looked down uncertainly at her crab. “You know he’s gonna come after you.”

“Oh, don’t worry about me.” She waved her hand dismissively. “He won’t do anything. He’s threatened me tons of times before and hasn't backed a single one of them.”

“He seemed pretty serious this time.” Lila warned. Tiffany just shrugged, not phased at all by the idea of Thomas exacting his revenge.

“I’m not scared of him.” She laughed. Lila rolled her eyes and shook her head. She looked down at the floor.

“He called you a devolved.” She said quietly. Tiffany could feel this conversation was going to veer to an uncomfortable subject. A subject they usually avoided.

“So?”

“So, you’re not a devolved.” Lila looked up at her friend, guilt weighing down her heart. “You shouldn't have to deal with all the stuff I deal with.”

“I don’t want to be part of them. They’re so ignorant.” Tiffany smiled at her. “I like hanging out with you. You’re so much more entertaining than they could ever be.”

“You shouldn't have to deal with all the bullying like I do.” Lila felt like she was on the verge of tears. “If yours was visible, if they had any idea,  they wouldn't bother you.”

“I don’t want friends who like me because I’m evolved. I want friends who like me because I’m me.” She shrugged. “They’re all morons anyway. Why should I want them to like me?”

“Because if they like you, then you wouldn't have to be afraid of them.” Lila said quietly. She moved the crab around her bowl, trying not to break into tears. Tiffany put a reassuring hand on her shoulder, trying to comfort her friend.

“I’m not afraid of them and you shouldn't be either. They’re all talk and no bite, just a bunch of kids with rich parents who think they know everything.” Lila nodded, but didn't agree with her friend. Tiffany would always be able to defend herself; her weird evolutionary trait along with the element of surprise would protect her in most cases. Lila was just a normal person with no special talent that could save her. Part of her wished that she at least held some small gift, something simple so that she wouldn't be bullied by Thomas and his crew anymore. Something that would make her one of them. 

“Hello girls.” Lila’s mother walked in, her long hair braided down her back and her kind eyes racking the two. She had on a simple orange dress that came to her knees and flats. Lila and her mother looked so alike, the same squinting eyes, same button noses, same smooth copper colored skin. She had many laugh lines and when she smiled, deep dimples formed on her face.

“Hi mom.” Both said in union. She kissed them both on the cheek. She sat down across from them, leaning back against her chair and rubbing the soles of her feet.

“Another long shift?” Tiffany asked.

“Tell me about it.” Mrs. Falkes rolled her eyes. “A group of kids who tried to capture a puffer fish ran into a nasty accident. Took a lot of running around and filing paperwork until they all walked out somewhat temporarily paralyzed but still alive.”

“Sounds like a nasty situation.” Lila wrinkled her nose, wondering how her mother stomached being a female nurse in the emergency section.

“Well, I’m off to go do some shopping.” She kissed her daughter's forehead before rising and leaving. The two girls watched her leave, recovering from the awkward conversation before she entered. They didn't press on it, just kept eating. There was idle chatter about the day and Tiffany left, after taking a quick glimpse of whether or not Thomas was around.  Lila sighed and grabbed her bag. She walked to her room, collapsing on her bed. She was sick of all this bullying, constantly being picked on because she wasn't affected by the radiation. She didn't understand why Tiffany limited herself, why she would chose to be bullied. Lila would never admit how much she envied Tiffany, both for her talents and her courage.

The next day, it was pouring outside, which meant the schools were closed and everyone was trapped inside the house in case the tide broke in and because the wind could reach fatal speeds at random moments. Lila was relieved she didn't have to face another day trapped inside the steel walls with a bunch of people who hated her and regretted her existence. She hoped for a long storm, but the next day was warm and sunny. She sighed as she gathered her books, not looking forwards to the rough day. She prepared for school, grabbing a few bites of grilled tuna before she left. She made sure to bolt the doors properly and didn't make it a few steps from her stoop before she heard a familiar voice.

“Hey,  ape, where do you think you’re going?” Thomas came out, his crew beginning to form around him like they had been in hiding the entire time. She could feel her insides twisting in fear as he approached.

“School.” She piped up. She kept walking, trying to avoid eye contact with the boys. Thomas grabbed her arm and yanked her over to him. She could smell seaweed on his breath, his eyes full of resentment and anger.

“You ain’t going anywhere, you stupid little ape.” His buddies laughed in encouragement. Her books fell to the floor and one of his buddies ruffled through them. He pulled out Gilligan’s Island, holding it between his fingertips.

“Give that back!” She screamed. Thomas squeezed her elbow and she yelped.

“Shut up, apes don’t talk.” He chuckled. “See, I am smart.”

“Congrats, you know one fact.” She snapped, sarcastically. Thomas tightened his grip, and she fought back tears. She could feel the strain of his grip on her bones, threatening to snap them with the slightest flicker.

“I think the little ape needs to learn some respect.” Thomas snarled. He scooped her up and swung her over his shoulder. She began to beat his back and kick, but he just laughed at her efforts. “Bring the book.”

They scooped up her books and bag, following Thomas as she carried her away. She yelled for help, but no one gave her a second glance. Most of them were evolved, and they all just chuckled. The devolved were too afraid to stand up to the son of McLean. He carried her up the hills, through the metal doors and up the winding staircase. She could feel her heart racing as she realized where they were taking her. They emerged outside the wall, on a small stretch of land that many people went swimming on. She was dumped on the floor like a garbage bag and they all snickered in joy. She wiped the tears from her eyes.

“Aww, the little ape is feeling sad.” Thomas laughed cruelly. He was handed the book, which he flipped through with a bored expression on his face. “This book is really boring.”

“No it isn't.” She said, her voice soft and nervous. He glared at her.

“Don’t speak, you dirty little ape.” He kicked her in the stomach. She felt like she was going to vomit, the pain making hot tears reappear in her eyes.

“Now, where was I?” Thomas glanced down thoughtfully. “Oh yeah, this stupid book.” He held it away from him with a disgusted expression on his face, like it was a dead animal.

“Just a bunch of letters on old paper.” Gilbert snickered. Lila looked up at them. Thomas gripped the book and smiled devilishly.

“Just stupid paper. Fragile and worthless.” Everything happened in slow motion before Lila’s eyes. She could see Thomas moving his hands, hear the ripping sound, watched the pages break apart as they were torn. 

“No!” She screamed. One of Thomas’s friends socked her in the face.

“Not my fault paper rips easy.” He tossed the pages into the water. Lila scrambled for the edge and saw them sink below, the ink washing off and the old paper breaking apart. Her vision blurred and she shivered viciously. She could hear their laughter behind her, so cruel and teasing.

                “Now you’ll think twice about double crossing me.” Thomas laughed. She could feel red hot anger flaring inside of her. She got up and turned to him.

                “You b*****d!” She screamed. She lunged at him and dug her nails into his throat. He coughed and gagged as she scratched his gills. “There is no other copy of that book! It’s worth more than your f*****g life and you destroyed it!”

                “Chill, ape.” Gilbert ran up and grabbed her. She elbowed him and heard something break, but she didn't care. Thomas grabbed her waist and flung her to the ground. She heaved heavily as he began to rub his neck. He looked at her, pure rage flaring in his eyes.

                “You worthless little deformed ape. How dare you grab me like that?" He pushed her down on the ground. She began to squirm, feeling the pressure of his body against hers. "You need to learn your place." With that, he tore off her jeans and underwear. She fought with everything, trying to punch him. One command from his lips, and his friends helped him hold her down. 

"Please don't." She cried. She looked up at him with pleading eyes, scared. He snickered and unbuttoned his pants. 

"Now you want to show me some respect. It's too late ape." Then, there was pain as he pushed himself inside her. She tried to scream, but one of his friends stuck a sock in her mouth. The cotton tasted horrible, like he had taken it off of his feet. She tried to close her eyes, but another one of his friends pried them open, making sure she watched. Thomas had a look of pleasure, his sneer smiling. The pain was becoming unbearable and she could feel her body going soar. She felt disgusted and weak, and now filled with rage. She wanted to claw out his eyes, but they held her down tightly. When he was finished, he leaned in, his lips by her ear.

"You piece of s**t, you know what will happen to people like you? You’ll all die out, until there are no more apes left. You will fade away, a sick memory.” He whispered it as if it was a promise. He pulled the sock out and tossed it aside. 

"F**k you!" She screamed. "F**k everyone of you!" Thomas punched her. She could taste the coppery blood in her mouth. He grabbed her by the arms and lifted her. She squirmed, but with no use. He was just too strong.

                “One by one, all of you will just die off. You don’t deserve to live in our world. You all don’t deserve to live.” He tossed her into the water. She had a brief moment to realize what was happening before she made contact with the icy cold water. She began to shiver and thrust her arms wildly as she tried to climb back up. The tide pushed her violently down. She could feel her heart racing, begging for air. She fought for the surface, fought with every little bit of her until she couldn't see right. Everything became fuzzy and her head began to throb. She opened her mouth and salty water gushed into it. She saw the little bubbles floating up, small bubbles of the only air she had left. There was choking pain and then, there was complete darkness.

******

                Tiffany’s eyes were swollen as she sat up straight, her vintage black dress fell slightly over her knees. The room was stuffy and everyone was fanning themselves with pamphlets. Lila’s mother sat next to her, a total wreck. Heavy bags were under her swollen eyes and her hair was done up in a messy bun. She was starting to look more and more like a stick figure every day, hardly able to choke down a single morsel of food. Thomas and his father sat at the other table, dressed up in fine silk suits. Their hair had been combed back and they looked so alike, the same chubby face and dark eyes almost black. Judge Gretchen, an elderly woman with her gray hairs pulled back in a tight bun and her back completely erect, was flipping through pamphlets, waiting for the jury to reach their verdict. They seemed to have been discussing the matter for hours in the private room.

                Tiffany glared at Thomas, wanting so badly to torment him in any twisted way her mind could conjure. He sat there, looking smug, without a tinge of guilt on his face. As if murder was nothing special, nothing that was important. As if what he had done, violating her best friend, was nothing special. She wondered how many times he had done something as sickening as this. A month after the burial of her best friend and she still couldn't stop crying. She kept hoping it was a bad dream and that Lila would walk out the house, her bag slung over her shoulder and her short hair slightly messy. She kept wishing every day, even though she was aware it wasn't possible. Lila was gone for good, all because of the smug little evolved sitting in the seat on the other side of the court room. She wanted so bad to watch him suffer in every way possible, but had to settle for imprisonment instead. The jury finally returned the six men and six women abruptly taking their seat. There was an equal mixture of evolved and devolved members, all dressed in their best attire. A middle aged evolved woman with long tentacles growing out of her hand in replacement of fingers stood tall.

                “The jury has reached a verdict your honor. We find the defendant, Thomas McLean, and his cohorts innocent of the charge of molestation and murder.” She said in a clear voice.

                “WHAT?!” Tiffany shot up, her eyes wide with disbelief. “He taped her and threw her in the ocean knowing she can’t swim. He made no attempt to rescue her for drowning! This is unfair!” Judge Gretchen banged her mallet on her metal desk, the sound ringing through the room.

                “Order, Ms. Tiffany Jackson.” She snapped. Tiffany sat in her chair, glaring at the jury lady, who cleared her throat.

                “It is decided that Mr. McLean was unaware of Ms. Falkes inability to swim, resulting in her accidental drowning. There has been no concrete evidence to the rape charges set against Mr. McLean, as the body was too horribly mutilated from the aquatic life for a clear DNA testing. He is guilty of minor assault, first degree at the most, and his friends are entirely innocent and shall be facing no charges.” The jury woman sat down, her cold eyes fixated on Tiffany, who returned her cold stare.

                “Then it is decided. Thomas McLean shall commit to twenty hours of community service and his associates are free of all charges against them. The court is dismissed.” Judge Gretchen gave her desk one light hit with the mallet and everyone began to disperse. Thomas strolled over to their table with a smug expression on his face.

                “What do you want?” Tiffany glared at him, hot tears in her eyes. She wanted so badly to wring his neck.

                “Just here to tell you battle well fought. Told you apes that you don’t belong here.” He focused his attention mainly on Mrs. Falkes.

                “You b*****d.” Tiffany spat. “How dare you come here and talk to us. We both know you knew she couldn't swim and that you intended to kill her. We both know you raped her. I hope karma bites you back hard.” Thomas just shrugged and held his hands up defensively.

                “Not my fault this moron didn't teach her ape daughter how to swim.” That had been the final straw. Ms. Falkes rose and slapped Thomas across the face. The sound was loud and rang through the court room. For one moment, time seemed to stand still and everyone was staring, mouths wide open, at Mrs. Falkes.

                “How dare you hit my son?” Mr. McLean snapped. His hands were curled in fists and he was glaring menacingly at Mrs. Falkes, ready to strike.

                “How dare your son murder my daughter and face no consequences for it?! How dare he rape her, violate her like she was nothing, and just walk away with barely a slap on the wrist?!” She spat back, her chest heaving as she tried to contain her anger.

                “I got twenty hours of community service. Do you know what that will do to my training schedule?” Thomas whined. It took every bit of self control to stop Tiffany from punching him in his fat face. 

                “Oh put a sock in it. You know you deserve to be behind bars for the rest of your pathetic life.” Tiffany glared. Thomas made a low growling sound with his throat.

                “My son is going to have to sacrifice his training, and maybe his entire future, thanks to your ape daughter!” Mr. McLean yelled. Ms. Falkes looked at him like she was ready to tear him apart.

                “My daughter doesn't even get to have a future cause of your spoiled brat of a son!” She shouted. Everything happened in slow motion. Mr. McLean raised his arm and prepared to strike. Thomas had his hands raised, ready to attack Tiffany. Mrs. Falkes held up her hands defensively over her face. Tiffany, in a moment of anger and vengeance raised her hands and thrust them at both boys’ exposed arms. She dug her nails into their skin before she realized just what she was doing. The small tentacles shot out from under her nails, so thin and small no one, not even her, had ever seen them. Their eyes grew wide before both boys dropped to the floor, out of her grip.

                “Tiffany?” Mrs. Falkes looked at her daughter best friend, who stared at her hands and was trying not to hyperventilate. She didn't know why she had done it, she swore she would never use her talent, but she had been past the point of control. The McLeans were squirming about and screaming, tears in their eyes. Judge Gretchen ran out, her eyes wide and her mouth dropped.

                “What happened here?” She demanded, looking at the two girls accusingly. Tiffany continued staring at her hands, disbelief on her face.

                “He came towards us and I. . .I. . .” She was stuttering, realization dawning on her. “They need a doctor immediately or they will die!” She screamed. Judge Gretchen beckoned towards a security officer, who grabbed a phone and dialed the paramedics.

                “What happened here?” She demanded again. Mrs. Falkes was too busy trying to calm down a confused and terrified Tiffany.

                “I don’t know what came over me.” She was rocking back and forth, her arms around her in a tight hug and her heart hammering in her chest. “They’re dying all because of me.”

                “It was an accident.” Mrs. Falkes cooed, resisting the urge to thank Tiffany.  “You were just trying to protect us.”

                “I wanted to do it. I meant to do it.” She said, knowing it probably wasn't the wisest thing to say in front of the only judge in town.

                “You were upset and not thinking clearly. They were going to attack you and you reacted naturally.” Mrs. Falkes was rubbing her chest.

                “Mind explaining to me what just happened?” Judge Gretchen said. Mrs. Falkes shot her a sharp look and shook her head. She was trying to keep Tiffany under control. The paramedics ran in and scooped up the two men, who were frozen and barely moving. Tiffany let out a soft wail. One doctor confirmed a soft heart beat and demanded they be immediately taken to the hospital.

                “You have to help them now!” Tiffany shouted. She ran up to the paramedic. “They only have a few moments until they die. They need an injection of zinc or anti-venom in their system.”

                “Listen kid, we’re professionals. We know what we’re doing.” He raised a hand in dismissal of what she had said.

                “No, he’s been injected with venom and needs an antidote now!” She stomped her foot in frustration. “It’s the venom of the Chironex Fleckeri and they have only a few moments to live and you’re wasting time.”

                “Are you certain?” The paramedic looked at her quizzing. “Because we don’t have the anti-venom for that considering it’s a rare case and the victims are on the land.”

                “I’m positive.” She could feel tears welling up in her eyes. “ I've spent most of my childhood learning about this. You must have some form of zinc on hand. Have them check.” The paramedic nodded and yelled at his colleagues to search for anything that will hold off Chrionex Fleckeri venom until they reached the hospital.

                “How were the victims injected with this venom?” He looked at Mrs. Falkes for an explanation. Tiffany raised her hand timidly.

                “It was my fault.” She tried to control herself. “I accidently injected him with the venom when he attacked us. It was like some sort of reflex and I didn't mean to, but at the same time I did.” She was crying at this point.

                “You carry jellyfish venom on you?” He shook his head in disbelief.

                “No, under my nails I have the small tentacles.” She held her hands out, palms up. “They're invisible to the naked eye because they're so small. They work like regular jellyfish tentacles and they use the same venom as the Chrionex Fleckeri. I try to control it, but it’s hard because how can someone teach you this stuff?”

                “Relax miss.” The paramedic shook his head and beckoned them over. “We may need you to come to the hospital so we can examine your venom.” He led them to his small car, which had the body style of a hammer head shark. He tried to have Mrs. Falkes wait at the crime scene, but she used her nursing position as a way to get a ride.

                They all climbed in and he caught up with the ambulance, which was speeding towards the hospital on the other side of town. Tiffany was trying hard not to panic, fear at what she might have done dawning down on her. She didn't know what had come over her, her body had just taken complete control and she had reacted the same way someone covers their ears when there was a loud sound. She hadn't meant to hurt them, but a small part of her wanted them to die, hoped the paramedics didn't save him in time. Neither of them deserved to live, Thomas for the rape and murder of her innocent best friend and his father for making it seem like Thomas had done the right thing. They appeared at the hospital in a matter of moments. Tiffany climbed out, prepared to do whatever it took to make sure the McLeans would be alright. The paramedic lead them around back, where she saw the others pulling sheets over Thomas, a clear enough sign that needed no explanation. Mr. McLean’s heart was almost out. His eyes were shut, but his body seemed to be shaking. One of the female paramedics shook her head, her soft eyes sad.

                “It’s too late.” The paramedic who had brought them there said. He gave Tiffany a pitiful look, but she had her eyes trained on the heart monitor. One was already dead but Mr. McLean’s was still going. One beep, then it seemed like forever passed before a second beep came. They were so small on the lines, she barely noticed them. The little bumps that told the strength of the heart. Another beat and it was like she could hear the thud of his heart in his chest and his body fighting the venom even when it had no chance of survival. Tears formed in her eyes as she heard that final beat of his heart until the screen shut off, emitting that final long beep to alert everyone that his heart wasn't beating anymore and that he was dead.

                They pulled a sheet over his head and Tiffany turned to Mrs. Falkes. She patted the young girls head, her eyes filled with tears to. I just wanted to stop them, she thought, I didn't mean to kill them. Both men had been despicable, evil in every aspect. But they were still partially human, misguided as they were. Tiffany felt her heart sinking, realize she had just taken away two lives. Strangely, she also felt a bit of emptiness, as if her brain was having a hard time registering what had happened. She didn't entirely understand herself. She just watched with a sad expression as they taken the corpses out and brought them into the hospital, probably taking them to the morgue and preparing contact with Mrs. McLean, who would be heartbroken to have learned she had lost both her husband and her son. Tiffany wondered where she had been in the first place. She should have been there, ready to defend her son. Tiffany’s parents weren't there because her mom had work and her father had always disliked the devolved. He was all for dispersing them from the picture. She couldn't understand how her mother could love such a monster, but she didn't question it farther.

The paramedics reeled him in and the police stood there, arms crossed over their chest as they waited for information on the death of one of the most powerful men in town and his young son and only successor. Tiffany took in a deep breath, ready to face the consequence for her actions. Mrs. Falkes placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder.

“I’ll be with you every step of the way. You know you’re all I have left anymore, and I won’t let them put you behind bars.” Tiffany couldn't find the words, her throat was constricted and she felt like she was about to cry.  She wanted to thank Mrs. Falkes and let her know she was like family as well. Mrs. Falkes eyes held all the understanding in the world. Together, they walked towards the policemen, chins up and ready for what the world had to bring. 

© 2013 Diamond Diaz


Author's Note

Diamond Diaz
Just wanted a review and, yes, all of the people in the story have dark skin because since they live by the water and its mostly sunny, the cells in their skin would cause them to have darker skin to protect them from skin color. This is the first sci-fi I've ever written, I'm mostly a fantasy writer, but I thought it would be fun to try something new.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

234 Views
Added on April 24, 2013
Last Updated on April 24, 2013
Tags: water, apocalyptic, inequality, mutation, evolution, radiation, friendship, death

Author

Diamond Diaz
Diamond Diaz

Brooklyn, NY



About
I am a prospective writer who hopes that I can gain advice from more experienced authors as well as get feedback that is thorough and intelligent. I want to be a novelist and I'm hoping that I can lea.. more..

Writing
Untitled Untitled

A Story by Diamond Diaz