Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by crazysox

Chapter Three

 

            I return to the kitchen, where I was reading the newspaper. I had only gotten through two panels of Garfield before Peter knocked on my door.

            I’m still annoyed, but reading the news calms me down. I like to think that in twenty years, I will still be able to recite today’s front page story word-for-word. I remember one time, on October 7th of 2009, they did a front page story on me and my hyperthymesia. Asked me a bunch of questions about dates and presidents and other nonsense. Ha! I’ll show Peter that front-page headline. Proof that I’ve got the ability to remember everything. Who’s he to say I can’t remember my own son?

            Grasping just how angry I am, I calm down by counting to ten. I read the punchline of the comic, but I’m in no mood to laugh.

            After reading the news six-and-a-half times over, I decide it’s time to clean up the glass on the porch. The broom and I sweep it up, but I’m careful not to step on any more glass; my slippers are ruined enough.

            With a sigh, I collapse into the chair and think about how hectic today’s been " and it’s only ten in the morning! I’ve had enough excitement to last me a lifetime.

            But it’s clear the excitement’s not over yet. I look with dismay at the journal Peter left here. There’s a dragon imprinted onto the leather covering, as well a leather bookmark attached to the binding. It’s very old, from way back in Damian’s high school years. Very familiar, as well.

            I think back to when Damian had made a leather journal in class. It was to be a father’s day present for his dad. Unfortunately, his father died in a car accident the day before father’s day. He was driving on the same road as an out-of-control eighteen-wheeler.

            Damian never wrote in that journal. He treasured it with his life. The pages should’ve been blank. Unless….this isn’t his journal! Couldn’t I be arrested or something for reading it, since it isn’t mine or my husband’s? But I’d probably have to track down Peter for anything like that to happen. If anyone’s going to go chase a delusional man, it sure as heck ain’t gonna be me. It might be better to just throw the journal away and forget this ever happened.

            No matter how much I wanted to forget it, I couldn’t. Even if I didn’t have hyperthymesia, I would ask myself day after day, ‘What would have happened?’

            There was only one way to know for sure. I reached out and flipped open the cover.

            So what if it isn’t Damian’s journal? Or, better yet….What if it is?



© 2011 crazysox


Author's Note

crazysox
Sorry I haven't posted chapters in a while; my computer crashed and everything I'd typed up on this was gone. I ended up re-typing the whole thing from my journal, and so here's the new chapter.
Also, I entered this into a contest that had a 4-chapter limit; If they consider Pt. 2 of Chapter 2 a seperate chapter, I could get disqualified. Oh well.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

So many questions that arise in my head, great job on this one!

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

290 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 27, 2011
Last Updated on August 28, 2011


Author

crazysox
crazysox

DC



About
NOTE: My featured story is almost always my most recent one. PLEASE read that one first, my older works are probably not that good! I'm a 14-year-old writer who's always dreamed of becoming the aut.. more..

Writing
Flaming Rings Flaming Rings

A Story by crazysox


Remember? Remember?

A Story by crazysox