A Person's True Measure

A Person's True Measure

A Poem by Barry S. Maltese

A Person's True Measure

by Barry S. Maltese

 

 

With all of the bills that had lay before me

the sight was not one that I longed to see

The numbers added up in a furious way

and each of them thought they had the right to stay

 

But then a call comes from a real true friend

with an uplifting message that he had to send

And then after that came a family member

bringing a ray of spring , in this bout with December

 

I was feeling troubled about my financial woes

with bills piling up that I could not dispose

Yet those calls came through just so I would know

there was more to my life than a monetary woe

 

For I had many blessings worth much more than gold

I was a wealthy man, should my story be told

But my riches did not come in dollar or cents

it came with my friends as recompense.

 

For good friends have a value that one just can't view

and with the strength of family, I can see this through

There is much to be claimed with this as my treasure

for the ones who love you are your greatest measure

(c)2008Barry S. Maltese

 

 

 

 

 

© 2008 Barry S. Maltese


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

True words here and so heart felt as well. I also feel blessed with friends. They are priceless as you describe them. It's so easy to get bogged down with life and it's stresses, but to have true friends who love you is everything. There are millionaires who never had to worry about bills, but how many of them have friends they can trust? I doubt many of them do. So we're better off as we are. Thanks for the reminder Barry. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Wow... I read this piece at the exact time I needed to. I have just been through .. well, exactly what you've written here.

"...bringing a ray of spring , in this bout with December" - I just love that particular line :)

The message in this write was not wasted on me. I felt the heart through these words. Yes, we all have to have money to live, but we don't live FOR money. Friends and family may not pay the bills, but they keep the power of the heart on. (corny? maybe..but true)

This was, not only, perfect in form, flow and message, but it touched my heart at a time when I needed it. Now it will remain a favorite so that I can pluck it out and read in in the future, if I need to be reminded :)





Posted 13 Years Ago


There are so many who are in your situation because of the economy now. Your poem will give inspiration who are in difficult times, knowing that it's not money that makes us happy, but our friendships, family and honor... Very nicely written.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hello Barry, I find it great how positive you stay in life and writing, it is uplifiting for my situation, right now. I love to read your poetry: always in the right meter and giving something to ponder on. Friends give support but it's about us who has to act. thanks for this beautiful read.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

"A friend in need is a friend indeed" Make sure you do not forget them when the good times come by once more...

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

True words here and so heart felt as well. I also feel blessed with friends. They are priceless as you describe them. It's so easy to get bogged down with life and it's stresses, but to have true friends who love you is everything. There are millionaires who never had to worry about bills, but how many of them have friends they can trust? I doubt many of them do. So we're better off as we are. Thanks for the reminder Barry. :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 6, 2008


Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..