The Red Dress

The Red Dress

A Screenplay by Cristi Fechete
"

Women create life. Women create dresses. What’s life for a woman?

"

FADE IN:
WHITE, BLINDING LIGHT.
Gradually losing its brightness, until it becomes--
INT. OFFICE - NIGHT
--A white sheet of paper.
RED lines stain the clean white, made by a MARKER, held by a delicate, feminine HAND.
CAMERA follows the hand across the paper for a few moments, until--
--the phone RINGS.
The delicate hand picks up the phone and we now see the face that matches the hand: ANNETTE. In her thirties. Beautiful. Elegant. Tired.
ANNETTE
(still drawing)
Hello?
(beat)
God, Mom, why are you awake?
(beat)
Oh... dreams... Forget about them. You always dream something.
(beat)
Don’t you worry. I can take care of myself.
(beat)
Mom, calm down and go back to sleep. I’ll leave just after I finish this, won’t be long.
(beat)
OK, Mom, I will be. Come on, put down the phone and go to sleep. I’ll call you in the morning and I’ll come to pick you up.
(beat)
Thank you, again. Good night to you too. Kisses. Bye.
Annette puts down the phone, eyes still locked on the sheet of paper. Another two, three moves of the hand and ready.
Annette is satisfied. A charming smile of content lights her face. Fatigue kicks in and the smile turns into a yawn. Annette covers her mouth with her hand. She stretches. She folds the sheet of paper and turns off the desk light.
INT. BUILDING - CONTINUOUS
Annette hurries out of the office, sheet of paper in her hand and walks to the end of the corridor. She goes down the stairs and out of sight.
A CLOCK, at the end of the corridor shows 3:35.
LIGHTS go out.
INT. CAR - NIGHT
Annette is driving. Her face shows the marks of a backbreaking work day.
SPEEDOMETER shows over 60 mph.
EXT. STREET - CONTINUOUS
The car closes on an intersection.
The RED LIGHT is on.
INT. CAR - CONTINUOUS
Annette is fighting fatigue, struggling to keep her eyes open.
EXT. STREET - CONTINUOUS
The car is about to enter the intersection. It doesn’t slow down.
INT. CAR - CONTINUOUS
Annette breaks. Her eyes close.
EXT. STREET - CONTINUOUS
ZOOM IN - THE RED LIGHT
Closer and closer.
The intense RED turns into--
EXT. BACKYARD - DAY
--BLOOD.
Slowly emerging from the tip of the index finger of a small, delicate HAND, a little girl’s hand.
ANNETTE, SIX YEARS OLD, watches the blood drop getting bigger. She is not at all scared and she doesn’t show any sign of pain.
In the other hand, she holds and empty BOTTLE, broken at the top. Around her, there are dozens of empty bottles and a bucket filled with soapy water.
Annette puts down the bottle and heads towards the HOUSE. Modest. Somewhere at the edge of a city.
INT. HOUSE - KITCHEN - CONTINUOUS
Annette walks in, holding her injured finger.
ANNETTE
Mommy, I cut myself.
MOM, worried, puts down the kitchen knife she was chopping some vegetables with and focuses on Annette.
MOM
Annette! I told you to be careful! Good God! Come here, let me look at you.
Mom sets Annette on a chair, examines her finger and walks out in a hurry.
Annette looks at the blood, dripping from the tip of her finger to her dress.
Mom quickly comes back with a bandage and attends to Annette’s finger.
MOM (CONT’D)
Oh, Annette. Thank God that you didn’t cut it off. I told you to leave the bottles and help me with the soup.
(beat)
You’re as stubborn as your father was.
(beat)
At least he pretended to listen sometimes.
Lost in her memories for a beat, Mom sheds a tear.
Annette looks at her, touched and holds Mom’s hand in her little hand with the bandaged finger.
ANNETTE
It doesn’t hurt, mommy.
Mom looks at her. Smiles. Hugs her gently.
MOM
Very well. Let’s make the soup. Then we’ll both go and finish those bottles.
Mom kisses Annette on the forehead. Annette smiles happily.
INT. STORE - DAY
Bottles. Empty. Clean. On the counter.
The SALESWOMAN counts them.
Mom and Annette watch her, waiting.
SALESWOMAN
...forty six, forty seven, forty eight, forty nine.
(to Annette)
You’ve done very good. If you had one more, you would’ve had fifty.
ANNETTE
One of them was broken...
MOM
Oh, don’t worry, Annette, there are plenty of bottles left in the attic. Next time we’ll bring a hundred.
The saleswoman opens a drawer.
SALESWOMAN
Let me give you the money. Would you like something else?
MOM
A bag of rice. And two pounds of sugar. And... a pack of cocoa. We’re going to make cookies tomorrow. Isn’t that right, Annette?
(turns around)
Annette?
Annette is no longer nearby. She is a few feet away, in front of a shelf. Lost in her world, looking mesmerized at--
--A DOLL.
Small. Beautiful. Dressed in a white lace dress.
Mom’s hand on her shoulder wakes Annette up from her dreams.
MOM (CONT’D)
You like it?
ANNETTE
It is beautiful. Does it cost a lot of money, mommy?
MOM
(smiling affectionately)
No, honey, I don’t think so.
(to the saleswoman)
How much is it?
SALESWOMAN
Fifty, for the doll. And another thirty for the rice, sugar and  cocoa.
MOM
(looking in her purse)
Well... We’ll take the doll now. And... we’ll take the rest tomorrow.
Mom pays, hesitantly.
Annette cannot believe what she just heard. Her face radiates with unexpected joy.
ANNETTE
We will bring more bottles, tomorrow. A hundred!
INT. BEDROOM - NIGHT
CLOSE UP - THE DOLL
Annette is holding her tight.
BACK TO SCENE
In bed, Annette rests her head on her mother’s shoulder. Mom holds a book in her hand.
A lamp, on the night stand is the only light in the room, giving it a fairy-like look.
MOM
(reading)
And so, the poor, dirty girl and the prince had the most beautiful wedding that the world had ever seen. And they lived happily ever after.
Mom closes the book. Annette sighs, still dreaming of what she just heard.
ANNETTE
Mom, please read me another one.
MOM
It’s enough for tonight. Let’s sleep.
ANNETTE
Tomorrow night then?
MOM
Yes, dear. Tomorrow.
Mom turns off the light.
Darkness. Silence, for a few moments.
ANNETTE
Mommy, how should I name my doll?
MOM
I don’t know, honey. It’s your doll, you have to name her yourself.
ANNETTE
But how did you pick my name?
MOM
Your father did.
(beat)
It was the name of his aunt, who raised him. And ‘cause he loved her very much he gave you the name that you have now. The most beautiful name in the world.
A beat.
ANNETTE
Then I will give her your name.
Mom starts laughing. She kisses Annette, noisily.
MOM
Oh dear, Annette. I’ll eat you up. Let’s sleep and we will figure out the name tomorrow.
ANNETTE
And I will make her a new dress. Red.
INT. STUDENTS DORM - DAY
MONTAGE
A HAND, feminine, delicate, skillfully guiding a pair of SCISSORS, cutting pieces of a PINK fabric.
Same hand, holding a PEN, leaving weak marks on the fabric.
WAVES of pink fabric coming out of a SOWING MACHINE.
SHOULDERS, beautiful, naked, covered by the pink fabric.
The hand, closing a ZIPPER and arranging gorgeous BLACK HAIR over the fabric, the last touch for everything to be--
END MONTAGE
--PERFECT. ANNETTE.
NINETEEN YEARS OLD, in a pink, below the knees dress. Brunette Marilyn Monroe. Even more beautiful.
She admires herself in the mirror. She turns around.
ANNETTE
So, how is it? I told you it’s going to come out OK.
Her roommate, Amy, standing a few feet away, watches Annette, fascinated.
AMY
It is incredible, Annette. I’ve got goose bumps. You have to make me one too. Exactly like this one.
Annette laughs, spinning and showing off her dress.
ANNETTE
You think it might be too much for a first date?
AMY
Too much? It is beautiful. He’ll fall on his a*s when he will see you. What time did you say you have to be there?
ANNETTE
Seven. But... I think I’ll make him wait for a little while.
The two girls laugh.
AMY
Hey! I just got an idea! Let’s go have a cake. There’s a new sweet shop right next to the park.
ANNETTE
Let’s have two!
The girls laugh again.
INT. SWEET SHOP - DAY
Sunshine comes in through a big window.
A FORK. Slicing through a piece of RED cake. That disappears between Annette’s lips.
Amy is enjoying her cake on the opposite side of the table.
AMY
Mmm! This is incredible! I could live with this only. I wouldn’t need anything else. Maybe just a dress like yours. You should make them for money.
ANNETTE
God, Amy... Like someone would pay me money for what I do...
AMY
Are you kidding me? Every time you make yourself a dress you blow me off my feet. And not just me... Maybe you don't see the other ones looking but I can see it... The lust in guys’ eyes... The envy in women’s... They would pay you money for what you do. I would pay you money for what you do. A whole lot of money. If I had any.
The girls burst into laughter. They are interrupted by--
--A LARGE BOUQUET OF RED ROSES. Appearing in front of Annette, held by a manly, neat HAND. The girls look at--
--David. Twenty years old. Black hair, elegant, good looking.
DAVID
(to Annette, emotional)
I apologize... I’ve been waiting for two days to talk to you. I saw you in the park the other day and today, when I saw you coming here, I brought you... a small attention, hoping you will give me some attention... and that we will talk, because... for two days... I am continuously dreaming of you.
Annette is speechless. Amy, the same.
DAVID (CONT’D)
May I sit down?
Annette doesn't say anything, still shocked. Amy slowly gets up.
AMY
Well... Of course. I... have something to do, anyway. You can sit here.
Amy winks at Annette and leaves, looking over her shoulder.
David sits.
DAVID
(to Annette)
Hi. I’m David.
ANNETTE
Annette...
EXT. SWEET SHOP - MOMENTS LATER
Through the window, Amy looks at Annette and David, who are talking. Amy smiles, pleased and heads down the street.
A calm, soothing WALTZ is heard from everywhere.
CLOSE UP - THE SUN
Fills the entire scene with light, that becomes--
EXT. BALCONY - NIGHT
--THE WHITE FABRIC OF A WEDDING DRESS.
The waltz continues.
THE HAND of David caresses the white fabric.
David, wearing a groom suit, and ANNETTE, wearing a wedding dress, at TWENTY FIVE YEARS OLD, are dancing on a large balcony at the top floor of an apartment building.
DAVID
Can you believe it’s over?
ANNETTE
It’s not over. It’s only just began.
David laughs.
DAVID
Was it as you imagined it?
ANNETTE
It was a thousand times better. It was... perfect.
DAVID
You’re perfect. My wife. I love you, Annette.
ANNETTE
I know. I love you too. My husband.
The two laugh, cheerfully.
INT. APARTMENT - LIVING ROOM - DAY
A VASE FULL WITH RED ROSES--
--CRASHES on the floor, with a DEAFENING NOISE.
ANNETTE, THIRTY FIVE YEARS OLD, sobbing. She sits on the floor, powerless.
ANNETTE
The hell with him! With his promises and lies! I don’t want to see him anymore! Mom, I’m going to die...
MOM, visibly decrepit, stands in the door frame and watches Annette, helplessly. She walks to Annette, sits next to her and hugs her.
MOM
Good God, Annette! Calm down. Don’t cry. There. Calm down.
ANNETTE
My heart hurts. Why, Mom, why? Is it because I have a career? Because I got older? Why? What does she have that I don’t? Why cheat on me, mom, why? What have I ever done to him to hurt me like this? You tell me. What?
MOM
Nothing, dear... It’s just... life. With its ups and downs. Good moments and bad moments. You cannot know what comes next.
ANNETTE
What am I going to do now, mom? What?
MOM
You go on. You recover.
(beat)
You have the show tomorrow. You have to focus on that and amaze everyone with your creations. Then you will feel better, you’ll see.
Mom takes out something from her pocket.
MOM (CONT’D)
Look what I have for you.
It’s THE DOLL. In the same white lace dress, turned yellow in places.
Annette takes it. She stops crying. She looks at the doll, mesmerized, like the first time.
ANNETTE
Mom, where did you find this?
MOM
I kept it. Your first doll. You remember the name you gave her?
ANNETTE
Your name...
Mom laughs slowly and kisses Annette on the forehead.
MOM
You wanted to change something about her.
ANNETTE
Yes... I was going to make her a new dress...
Annette looks at her Mom like she suddenly had the best idea in the world.
ANNETTE (CONT’D)
Mom, thank you!
Annette gets up and hurries to the door, with the doll in her hand.
Mom looks at her, uncertain.
MOM
Annette? Where are you going?
Annette puts her shoes on, takes a short coat and a jacket. She walks back to Mom and hugs her tight.
ANNETTE
Thank you, Mom. You were right. You are always right.
Annette hurries out.
Mom watches her go out and smiles.
INT. FASHION HOUSE - DAY
An army of women, running around, carrying fabrics in different textures and colors, dresses, drawings, analyzing, discussing, preparing the next day fashion show.
Annette enters and rushes to the stairs. All eyes are on her.
BLONDE LADY
Hi, boss.
FAT LADY
Hello, boss.
Annette goes up the stairs.
INT. OFFICE - CONTINUOUS
Annette walks in.
Amy, sitting at the computer, looks at her, surprised.
AMY
Annette! I thought you weren’t coming. How are you?
ANNETTE
I need to be alone.
Annette walks to the DRAWING TABLE and prepares her markers and a white sheet of paper.
AMY
Well... What happened? Are you OK?
ANNETTE
Better than ever. I had a brilliant idea for the main piece. Go on, leave me alone. And I don’t want to be disturbed, please.
Amy, confused, gets up and walks to the door.
Annette sits at the table.
ANNETTE (CONT’D)
And Amy... Find me the best divorce lawyer there is. From now on I’m going to do what is best for me.
Amy exits.
Annette puts the doll on a chair nearby. She looks at it for a few moments then she focuses on the white sheet of paper.
CLOSE UP - THE WHITE SHEET OF PAPER
It becomes--
EXT. STREET - NIGHT
--THE HEADLIGHT of a car.
Annette’s car. What is left from it after a terrible accident with another car. A steaming pile of contorted iron.
Inside, among the remains--
A white sheet of paper with lines that come together into a perfect drawing. The most beautiful EVENING DRESS ever imagined. RED.
Annette. Eyes closed, immovable. A thin, RED line of blood streams down her cheek.
Her lips tremble. She hardly articulates the last words.
ANNETTE
I love... you...
CUT TO:
BLACK.
FADE TO:
INT. APARTMENT - LIVING ROOM - DAY
Annette, TWENTY EIGHT YEARS OLD, is sitting on the couch, near David.
DAVID
Why not, Annette? I don’t understand. We have everything we need. We’ve been happily married for three years. Why not?
ANNETTE
I don’t know... It’s not... the time right now. I want... I want to follow my dream. To create. To make dresses. I have so many ideas. No... I’m not ready to be a mother... Not yet. Do you understand, David?
DAVID
No! I don’t understand!
David gets up and starts to walk around, nervously.
DAVID (CONT’D)
I don’t understand anything! You can follow your dream until the end of life. I cannot believe this! I cannot believe what you tell me. This is what I wanted ever since I first saw you in that park. To have children with you. To raise them together and be happy. But no! You want to make your stupid dresses! That’s all you care about! That’s all you love!
David stops. He calms down.
DAVID (CONT’D)
Have it your way, Annette. Follow your dream. You’ve just killed mine. Because I realize now... You don’t love me.
David exits, slamming the door.
A TEAR slides slowly on Annette’s cheek.
ZOOM IN - THE TEAR
Closer and closer. Crystalline. Sparkling. Like a star. It becomes--
WHITE, BLINDING LIGHT.
FADE OUT.
THE END.

© 2012 Cristi Fechete


Author's Note

Cristi Fechete
Written in standard screenwriting formatting but couldn't keep it on the website.

My Review

Would you like to review this Screenplay?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1128 Views
Added on March 31, 2012
Last Updated on March 31, 2012
Tags: red, dress, fashion, death, women, love, family, marriage, divorce

Author

Cristi Fechete
Cristi Fechete

Oradea, Bihor, Romania



About
I write because words tell me to. more..