The Prodigy

The Prodigy

A Chapter by C_theSurrealist
"

struggles are there, keep ahead you'll be there.

"

All are only my imaginations…

The mystical creatures like royal fairy, the cat, my dreams are just playful scenes of my mindset. How pitiful I am! I don’t know what I supposed to think. In a palace full of gold, I am wearing a crown and holding a book. I also sit on the throne which I am the princess. That’s my dream as often, I’ve no idea why. Yet, I only discern that I have a goal.

“ Kaara, don’t be sleepy head. I’ll train you.”

“ Huh? Training?”

“ Yes, for the prestigious competition. Don’t you remember that you were the alternate of our math prodigy, Max?” Mr. Armstrong said.

“ Oh, I’m sorry to forgot. Okay I’m ready.”

I was caught in the act of napping on the table at the library and thinking deeply about the fantasy. At first, I couldn’t believe that I’m already a senior student and second, I am shocked that I am now the participant for the competition within the city.

“ Max is our extraordinary student who surpassed the expectations of the Math enthusiasts. So, can you be like him?” my mentor told.

“ Sir, I couldn’t. I’m sorry.” I have a doubt to myself.

“ Kaara, this is not a joke. This is a grand competition, you’ll represent the school and if you win; you’ll then represent our city.”

“ What achievements Max received in his reign?” I asked.

“ Well, he got a silver medal. So we’re targeting gold.”

Mr. Armstrong, a strict teacher from higher department, pushes me to strive harder yet it comes to a point which I am pressured and couldn’t concentrate very well. One on one training squeezes my mind, drastically. Because of it, my head aches and fall asleep.

“ Here, a calculator. This is my gift to you.” The royal fairy said.

“ You’re not real. I shouldn’t accept the gift.”

“ I’m your friend since then, you shall never reject me. When you open your eyes, you’ll see the truth.”

Someone tapped my shoulder and forced me to awake. I open my one eye then I see a mysterious box. It’s like a special present for me. When I become energized, I tear the cover then I realized that it’s a latest trend calculator.

“ Who gave this to me?” I wondered.

I look at the window of the library and I see the glimpse of a familiar guy. I walk on the corridor and follow the shadow of the man, I run but when I stare at his face, oh I don’t know who he is. But I remember him, he’s always the companion of Max.

“ Are you Hathorne?” I asked the guy.

“ Yes I am. Are you finding Max?”

“Is he still studying here?”

“ Yes.” He said.

“ Please give this calculator to him as a gift of appreciation.” I said.

“ Ah okay.” Hathorne received the calculator and smirked.

I go back to the class and have a normal habit of studying. Then one time, while our teacher is discussing the lessons. A student wearing a black suit came to the front of our classroom.

“ I want to excuse Kaara.” the student said.

I go outside of the classroom and I am surprised.

“ Oh Max! long time no see! Your uniform became different, you wear black suit with a long sleeve polo.” I feel amazed.

“ Yes, because this is the proper uniform of a higher grader in senior. By the way, the calculator you gave me, actually that’s my present to you. It’s like you’re returning my gift?” our conversation becomes awkward.

“ Ah… I apologize for that.”

Max gave me again the calculator personally. In that instance, we bond for a certain reason.

“ Kaara, please train well. May be in the other day, I’ll be your own opponent.” Max reminded.

“ No way! I don’t like that suggestion.” I’ve never been imagined that the most brilliant person in the institution will compete against me.

“ Don’t worry, that’s only for your practice. Mr. Armstrong said to me.”

After that day, I am wondering of why the calculator is on my hand still and thinking why that is his gift to me. On the day of my training, surprisingly; Max is there to beat me.

“ Kaara, I want you to introduce Max, the former participant of the competition. You’ll have an unofficial battle.” Mr. Armstrong said. “Are you ready?”

I am speechless cause I don’t want to utter “no.” I answered few questions from my mentor yet still Max raise on top of the battle. I feel disappointment when sharp words released from Mr. Armstrong’s mouth.

“ I don’t see any improvement. Your contest is on next week. Could you please be serious?!”

“ I’m so sorry. I couldn’t beat that enthusiast.”

“ You need to be strong to fight the monster. The monster is Max, okay?”

In the latter part, I wander along the streets full of nature. I just want to relax.

There are plenty of works, tests, performances in my class then there’s a competition coming to a beginning. As I sit at the bench in front of our school, my one classmate start an interesting talk. About his story, it quite change my perception…



© 2017 C_theSurrealist


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

78 Views
Added on November 3, 2017
Last Updated on November 3, 2017
Tags: journey, math, life, school


Author

C_theSurrealist
C_theSurrealist

Philippines



About
undisputed surrealist of artistry // a mathematician of beauty and algebraist of poetry // painter of the universe // soon to be a well-renowned engineer in the field of chemistry // ambitious and sub.. more..

Writing