A River of Unpleasant Words

A River of Unpleasant Words

A Poem by Crystal L. Test

Today

It took until this phone call

To finally realize

How different we are

Than we once were

 

We are no longer

Care-free children

Friends

Who just happened to be

Related

 

Now almost strangers

I don’t know the most basic

And simple things about you

Or your life

And you don’t know mine

 

How did we get this far

Away

Not only from each other

As friends

But even as cousins

Almost

 

A river of unpleasant words

Hastily spoken in anger

Pushing the crack

From a gap

To a ravine

Then a canyon

 

Ending with two cliffs

You on one

And I on the other

With seemingly no way

To cross

 

Is there a bridge

With bonds

Strong enough

To join the two back

 

I hope so

I’d like to try

 

© 2008 Crystal L. Test


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I thought this was played out perfectly, the way it was written helped with the emotions... sometimes even the strongest relationship falter when communication breaks down... it seems it is hard to remend a relationship then to grow a new one.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I liked this one. I got a little caught up in the choppyness of some of the lines but not enough to really draw away from the piece.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

BEAUTIFUL.
I can really relate to this. You're stunning. This is really sweet and childlike. I enjoyed it a lot.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Interesting imagery. I liked how you can literatly visualize two people being seperated but still knowing that it is a more emotional seperation. I know exactly how this feels. Ha, sometimes I feel like I don't know anyone. Nice job. You havn't lost your talent since I have been away ;].

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very sentimental piece with a good use of imagery. I liked the references at the very end to the ever widening rifts between you and your cousin. The simplicity of this piece really works for it. I would like to see the proper punctuation added, but that's just because I'm a grammar nerd. If that's your style then stick with it because it works. Thank you for entering!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This has a familiar feel to it, especially for this time of year...when conversations around the holiday dinner table conjure up family members who are no longer speaking to each other, for whatever reason. I guess it's important for us to try to mend that "bridge" before it's too late, but sometimes, [yes, sometimes] it's just not worth the effort.

This is a magnificent piece. It helps explain some of those "icons" on your page that I happened upon!

My best to you, Crystal!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is a heart felt plea to someone you miss having in your life. Yes there is a bridge it may not be easy to find but it may be as simple as I miss you in my life. Don't leave things unsaid until it is too late to say them.
This is well written and full of emotion.
Debby

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I can identify with the content of your sad, but poignant words, as I have witnessed the destruction of family ties and long periods of relational stagnation; all because of some long forgotten looseness of the tongue.

This reminded me of a quote, for which I cannot recall where it came from, but went;

'All things are connected, like the blood that flows through a family. Whatever befalls the earth befalls the sons of the earth. Man did not weave the web of life; he is merely only a strand of it. But whatever man does to the web, he does to himself.'

A wonderful composed and structured poem. Exquisite!

God's blessing
Phillozofee

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is beautiful, Crystal. It is so easy, for lives to change and to drift apart from those we were once close to. There are those friendships with relatives and the like that remain the same through the thick and the thin and then there are those where there are such drastic life changes that it is difficult to find any common ground in which to establish a bridge. I have learned that people go through seasons of friends and that not all will remain, even with relatives. I would think that with a relative that could be different and I pray that you are able to mend the rift between the two of you, even if you choose to "agree to disagree" on whatever your differences are and establish a measure of peace between the two of you just for the sake of doing so.

I have an Aunt that I had to totally cut ties with because she was verbally abusive. She became a monster over the years when everyone in the family were too fearful to stand up to her shenanigans. When I did, I became the bad guy and the object of her gossip and back biting. I did send her an invitation to my son's wedding knowing she wouldn't come, which I guess was my way of saying I still love you, but that is about the extent of our communication.

I wish you well with your cousin. :) Carole

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is awesome! I really love it. Hmmm...I wonder who this is about. This is too cool though. Very well written. I can think of people who I could relate this to. Once again, another wicked awesome poem by my Wicked Awesome God-Mother! ^_^

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

542 Views
10 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 5, 2008

Author

Crystal L. Test
Crystal L. Test

IL



About
I've been so busy and I really do apologize. Haven't been reading or writing. I will let everyone know when I'm back. ******************************************************************************.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..