Aesthetics

Aesthetics

A Poem by cwwood
"

free verse, and short. Just the way I like it.

"

How do I keep her

attractive after all these years?

The gentle curve of her body

straightens with time.

Her hair,

once a place to bury my face,

smells like discount shampoo.

I don’t tell jokes anymore,

the peal of her laughter

once so addictive,

no longer satisfies.

Why do we fall in love?

Why does the heart

Show us what we want,

Then gradually take it away? 

© 2013 cwwood


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

Strange, how the beautiful and the aesthetic can dissolve so easily into meaningless (the aesthetes may say, formless) sensory impressions. Most discussion of the aesthetic does, though, involve the concept of form, which leads me to ask: why have you chosen the free verse for this piece? My intuition is to say that you are dealing with the anti-aesthetic, the anti-form that we cannot find beautiful--but that is a philosophical discourse of which I have too little knowledge to say anything that even vaguely coheres. There is, perhaps, an irony at work here as well; Goethe had the intuition that the art mimes microcosmically the sum total (or, to phrase more precisely, some concept) of Nature. This concept, this Nature-in-itself, is necessarily processual, and necessarily involves decay. By extension, the process of art, the process of the aesthetic and of the beautiful, must be accompanied by a process of decomposition (I have attempted to parse this dualism in some of my own works). Such process is brushed against here as well, I believe. I apologize for the lengthy and perhaps meandering commentary; these concepts are recently of great interest to me, and I wonder how other writers--particularly my contemporaries--are wont to parse them. If you can elucidate this for me in any way, it would be much appreciated.

(As a side note, the invocation of William Kent's phrase, "Nature abhors a straight line." wins a certain amount of favor from me.)

Posted 10 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
LJW
Excellent

Compact, easily relatable, not trite.

(the use of "discount shampoo" gets this an easy A in my class)



Posted 11 Years Ago


cwwood

11 Years Ago

So said my creative writing teacher. Are you actually a teacher? Also I'm glad you liked it.
LJW

11 Years Ago


Oh no way, definitely not a teacher. Lover of the written and spoken word...writer of both. C.. read more
There is some truth to this although i beleive that not everything you love in a person can be stripped away by time and as time passes there are always new things to discover and love in the object of your affection.

Posted 11 Years Ago


cwwood

11 Years Ago

I agree that it isn't exclusive. maybe sometimes, to use your word, it's affection. I often find m.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 16, 2013
Last Updated on January 16, 2013
Tags: free verse, love, minimalism

Author

cwwood
cwwood

Albany, NY



About
nihilistic pragmatist by nature, never mind, it doesn't even matter. more..

Writing
Clothes Clothes

A Poem by cwwood