I am From

I am From

A Poem by Penny for your thoughts

I am from kindness, hugs, gentleness and love.
Pecan trees, stinging bees, no TV and magnolia trees.
Encouraging words, an absent father, a sickly brother, a Godly mother.
Poverty mixed with abundance, peach pie, analyzing clouds in a clear spring sky.
Clean clothes hanging on the clothesline, watermelon in the summer time.

Helping neighbors, space heaters, homemade bread, and prayers before bed.
I am from red Georgia clay that once on your clothes was there to stay.
Grass-less lawns and sweet honeysuckle. Hot and lazy summer days.

 I am from walking to school, washing dishes in a sink,

 a claw foot tub and hardwood floors, hand-me-down clothes,

pinto beans and costume jewelry from my Grand-Mother.

 I am from mopping the design off of floral linoleum rugs that were paper thin and blindingly bright.

I am from one amazing winter spent in Macon with my Great Aunt and Uncle.

I am from special gifts from my Mother and her brothers, a hope chest, a Goldilocks watch,

 a change purse, $100 at my high school graduation.

I am from brothers who called me "sister".  I am from happy. 
I'm from Ask and it will be given, If the good Lord is willing, and two wrongs don't make a right.

Say your prayers, forgive others, mind your manners, watch your brothers.
I am from country living in a big city, redheaded woodpeckers and my Grandfathers’ hybrid roses.
I am from compassion and honesty, yes ma'am and no sir, falling asleep to a symphony of crickets and waking to my Mothers’ singing.
I am from lots of praying and trusting in God.
I am from Do as I say and Do as I do, Do unto others, Do for yourself, You can Do this, Do it right the first time. Do you know how much I love you?
I am from the school of hard knocks and the invisible privilege of a home filled with joy and unconditional love--
and for this amazing and priceless gift, I am forever grateful.

© 2017 Penny for your thoughts


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

83 Views
Added on July 12, 2017
Last Updated on July 12, 2017