Carmella Ramirez

Carmella Ramirez

A Story by Cylis Derrens
"

A woman who decides to follow her dreams no matter what anyone says, and her relationships.

"

 

By Cylis Derrens
 
 
 
Carmella Ramirez: A High School Story
 


 
 
Chapter 1
 
Carmella Ramirez was born the daughter of Emily and Elian Ramirez. She had grown up a tomboy and had loved sports since she was a child. Her father a coach at the college level and avid football fan had taught her the ins and outs of the game.
 
Pete Koshchek her neighbor and long time friend was already a center for their high school which Carmella would be a freshman at this year.
 
Getting dressed in a pair of jeans and a Pittsburg Steelers jersey with sneakers she grabbed her backpack and a piece of toast. Pete had been busy with a summer job so she hadn’t seen a lot of him.
 
She had developed well physically over the summer but she wasn’t comfortable with the changes. Standing about 6’4 she was already set apart. The fact she had full breasts did not help matters in her opinion.
 
Wearing a sports bra underneath helped to deal with that and she had learned to throw a football despite these new changes so it wasn’t that bad adjusting to them. Her mom a much smaller woman dropped her off at school with a warm smile.
 
Emily Ramirez had red hair and stood about 5’8 and had white skin. Carmella being of mixed origin had a color closer to that of her father’s which was a light brown tan. She also had her father’s black hair and deep brown eyes.
 
Kissing her mom goodbye she headed onto campus. Pete met her near the gate waving at her. Pete was taller than her and had a broader build. He was a white boy with stone gray eyes and brown hair.
 
Smiling he said, “Hi Carm what are you doing during lunch?” Carmella shrugged saying, “I was just planning to eat at the lunch tables.” 
 
“You should come hang out with me. I could use the company. My girlfriend is acting all snippy and everything. I think we could both use a break from each other.” Pete said.
 
“Please tell me you didn’t ask her if it was that time of month again.” Carmella replied give him an exasperated look.
 
“Give me a break, granted I can be thickheaded but I don’t make the same mistake twice.” Pete answered.
 
“Well at least you learned something from the last time. I suppose it would be nice to know someone here.” Carmella said.
 
 Flashing a smile Pete asked, “What’s your last class before lunch?”
 
Looking at her class schedule Carmella said, “Mrs. Emitt for English.”
 
Nodding Pete said, “I know where that is. I had her my first year. I’ll meet you there.”
 
They waved their goodbyes and headed off to their classes before the bell rang.
 
Pete met her as planned and they headed to the practice field sitting down to eat. They were catching up with what had happened to each other over the summer when a ball went past Carmella’s head just missing her.
 
One of the guys had overthrown it when he had been talking to a friend and had not been paying attention. Before Pete could stop her Carmella furious picked the ball aimed and fired at the boy.
 
The thrower never knew what hit him as the ball smashed him in the face knocking him to the ground. Pete winced at the impact.
 
“Damn Carm did you have to throw it so hard?” Pete asked and then suddenly wished he hadn’t said that.
 
Turning to him her eyes reflected her anger and immediately Pete said, “Just kidding, my bad!”
 
He had seen her temper before and wasn’t looking forward to a black eye or bloody nose. They had been wrestling once when they were little and he had pulled her hair without thinking about it and had paid the price.
 
He had no illusions that Carmella had lost her ability to throw a vicious right cross that had leveled him that day. They had made their apologizes afterwards and he had made a note never to direct her temper at him again.
 
That day on the practice field wasn’t the time to change this habit since he was innocent of any wrongdoing, and didn’t want to share in the other boy’s fate.
 
Dave a fellow student and player on his team would just have to learn the lesson as he had. Seeing the other guy pick himself up and shake of the cobwebs he didn’t envy him.
 
“As good as you throw you could almost be a quarterback.” Pete said jokingly.
 
“And what if I wanted to be?” Carmella said defiantly.
 
“Come on Carm girls can’t play football. You know that.” Pete replied.
 
“Oh, really?” Carmella said storming off.
 
Without realizing it Pete had unknowingly lit the match; Carmella had been thinking about joining the team over the summer and that clinched it.
 
For the rest of the year she practiced and hit the weights waiting for her chance to prove to any of them that she had what it took to play the game. Deciding not to practice for basketball that year she focused most of her free time to prepare for next season football season.
 
When the time came she tried out for the team with her mother’s permission. Both of them knew her dad would be against it but once she joined the team both felt he might think differently. Emily believed in her daughter and saw no reason for her not to pursue her dream.
 
Dressed in some P. E. gear she showed up for practice the first day and proved that she could keep up with her team mates. When it came to passing drills she hit dead on.
 
Everyone thought she would quit when she actually got hit with pads but Carmella just got up and brushed herself off. During the final day of practice some of the guys came up with a plan to get rid of her once and for all.
 
Setting up for a pass Carmella hiked the ball as usual backpedaling as she set up for a pass. Looking downfield for an open receiver she did not see one of the offensive line men step aside letting a pass rusher in.
 
The defensive end came in like a blur blindsiding Carmella hard. Managing to hold onto the ball she went down for a sack.
 
When she got up this time she didn’t brush herself off she recognized the defensive end and saw the smile between him and the o-lineman. In that moment Carmella knew exactly what had happened.
 
 “So it’s the old Olay trick huh? Well we’ll just see about that!” Carmella said under her breath.
 
Hiking the ball again she backpedaled as before when she saw the defensive end come free again towards her she tucked the ball underneath her arm and charged at him at full speed.
 
For a moment he hesitated in shock and that was all she needed. Aiming her facemask for his numbers she smashed into him. Caught flat footed he had no forward momentum and lost the battle crashing backwards.
 
Leaping over his body like a hurdler Carmella continued on rushing past the d-linemen and juking the safety out of his shoes for a touchdown.
 
Jogging back she slapped the ball into the o-lineman’s chest saying, “Next time you do something like that I’ll ask the coach to replace you for a second stringer who actually wants to play, get me?”
 
 Nodding the player’s eyes were downcast; he had been caught red handed. After that she earned the respect of her detractors and they came together as a team.
 
Like it or not Carmella a girl was now their starting quarterback for the J.V. team. Everyone knew she should have made varsity but politics dictated that it was all she should get right now.
 
When Ed heard about it he was furious. Taking Carmella to the coach’s office he had her wait outside while he talked to the head coach.
 
“How did my daughter get on the team? I never signed a form!” Ed demanded.
 
Pulling out the permission form from her folder Coach Davis had expected as much. A large black man who stood about 6’1 he held a commanding presence on the field and even in his office. He didn’t like being yelled at but had learned to have patience with parents over the years this case was no exception.
 
“Her mother is also her legal guardian and said it was okay. She even brought it to us herself. I myself accepted it from her before Carmella was given the okay. I don’t know why you’re worried sir. If it weren’t for the principal and the board I would gladly have her on my Varsity team this year.” Arnold said.
 
“She is that good?” Ed replied surprised.
 
Nodding Arnold answered, “She is the best I have ever seen and has the guts to back it up. Where she learned to play like that I don’t know.
 
I’m sure if she had played before high school on a team someone would have noticed, and I would have heard of it. I keep track of such things.
 
Let’s me know who to keep an eye out for. I can only imagine what she will be capable of in a year or two. She has two more years after this one. Hell she might be the first woman I have ever heard of who gets a scholarship for football!”
 
Ed could only stand there stunned for a moment. When he finally found the words Ed asked, “And you think she could get on varsity?”
 
Shaking his head Arnold said, “Not this year. No offense sir, but the higher ups are like you. They can’t imagine a girl playing the game.
I have a feeling Carmella is going to change that assumption. Now I don’t imagine every girl is going to want to join up, but those who come after her will have an easier time if they put forth the effort.”
 
“And you have no problem with this?” Ed asked.
 
 Shrugging Arnold said, “Why should I? She is tough as nails and has a good head on her shoulders to boot. Who am I to question when the good Lord gives me a star player to help out my program?
 
 As far as I’m concerned I’ll count my blessings and do what I can next year to prove that she is Varsity material and make sure that she gets a fair shake, or at least the best I can give her.” Ed walked out of the office right after that and took Carmella home.
 
Her mother and father fought over her joining the team that night, but her mother won out in the end. Elian might not like it but it was what Carmella wanted and she had obviously earned it.
 
This however didn’t stop him from being afraid for her. He had played once and had been considered one of the best in his state but an injury had ended that career.
 
Getting a degree in physical education he had become a successful coach, but he still missed playing. He had never quite gotten over the fact that he had lost his chance to go to the pros which everyone had said had been guaranteed for him. Elian didn’t want his daughter to go through that like he had.
 
The following afternoon he decided a game of catch was the best way to smooth things over. After work he came home to find her in the back yard hitting tin cans off the fence for practice.
 
“Impressive. Looks like you’ve learned to pick your targets.” Elian said.
 
Picking up the ball Carmella said, “I’ve known how to throw for some time pop and I had a whole year to focus on it.”
 
She didn’t even look at him when she answered.
 
Taking a deep breath knowing he had deserved that Elian said, “Yeah I know. Could you sit down with me for a bit?”
 
He knew playing catch wasn’t a good idea at this point they both had the same temper and he knew it. Wanting to avoid a fight he suggested the second choice as an alternative. Sitting down in a chair on the back porch he waited until she did the same.
 
“I’m sorry I haven’t made the easy but hear me out. It’s not just because you’re my daughter but because I also played the game remember? I know the risks.” Elian said looking at her.
 
“And you also know I love it just like you did and still do. If you could play tomorrow would you? I mean if you were a hundred percent and the pros gave you a shot could you turn it down?
 
 Is it so hard to imagine that I want what you did back then? I know the risks too dad you of all people taught me them, but does that mean I can’t try?” Carmella asked him earnestly.
 
Smiling as he thought about it Elian understood what she was talking about and told the truth.
 
“Yes I suppose I would play again if I had a chance. Sometimes I think we are too alike you and I. I just don’t want you to go suffer as I did.” Elian replied.
 
 Reaching out Carmella took her father’s hand in both of hers and said, “What’s the matter old man? You afraid I might turn into someone my future kids could be proud of?”
 
They both had a laugh at that, and Elian felt good that his daughter looked up to him. In a way she was the reason he had never much cared if he had a boy after her.
 
 In his eyes he had everything he needed in her. Grabbing he put her in a head lock as they headed inside rubbing her head with his fist until she cried for mercy before letting her go.
 
 “You’re a good kid Carmella. Sometimes I wonder how you turned out that way.” Elian said.
 
Looking fondly on her father she gave him a great big hug which he returned. When the Friday came Carmella got ready for her first game, but she had been told her father would be there. Looking around she had expected to see him at the stands when they headed out to the field, but she saw no sign of him.
 
Carmella ran onto the field following the seniors. After a few practice drills she found her way to the bench. Her team would kickoff first allowing the visiting team to return the ball.
 
Her team’s defense would be the first up. Cheering her teammates on she felt a tap on her shoulder.
 
 Turning around she saw her mother and gave her a hug. Smiling her mom pointed at the stands.
 
Not understanding Carmella followed her finger. Out in front of the stands standing there at the railing was her father waving at her. Cracking a smile she could not help but wave back.
 
Elian saw his daughter put on her helmet and head out onto the field with the rest of the offense. Taking her position behind the offense she made the calls from the line.
 
 The J.V. coach trusting in her ability had decided that it was the best way to throw the defense off their game. Making last minute changes she hiked the ball and went back for a pass.
 
 A defensive end broke free on the left and rushed towards her seeing him she rolled right looking for a receiver. Dodging another tackler trying to grab her as one of her linemen pushed him past she launched a pass downfield.
 
The receiver caught it on run and ran it in for a touchdown. Elian seeing all this and was leaping for joy calling out proudly to other parents that the quarterback was his daughter.
 
Watching the rest of the game it ended with 32-7 as the final score. Joyous teammates carried their victorious quarterback off the field cheering her name.
 
The games that followed ended with many more solid victories for their high school and brought them to the finals of their division which they won also. A new trophy sat in the trophy case and banners hung in the gym auditorium.
 
The following Monday of their last game Coach Davis found her between classes and told her that the following year since their starting quarterback was leaving she would be replacing him.


Chapter 2
Carmella couldn’t wait until the next season. She wanted to be on the field again and feel the excitement of the game.
 
Carmella helped her father as a volunteer over the summer. To help out in the community he coached Pop Warner football for little kids.
 
 That year he asked her to be his assistant coach. It was no secret that many of the plays on his team were given to him by the high school that Carmella went to.
 
 As far as he was concerned it not only gave her something to do but allowed her to have better knowledge of the plays she would be using. Finding boys for Carmella wasn’t easy since she was so tall and intimidating.
 
Most boys would look her as a freak and wouldn’t invite ridicule by dating her. Interesting enough Alex Pete’s older brother found her quite attractive. At nineteen he had just started school a year before. Seeing her at a party he made his way to her from the far side of the room.
 
“Hi Carm, how are you doing?” Alex said.
 
Turning around Carm held up the cup of punch she had been drinking saying, “Trying to enjoy myself.”
 
“Kind of tough isn’t it? These things are always so crowded. Never liked them much.” Alex admitted.
 
“Then why are you here?” Carmella said.
 
Flashing a warm grin Alex replied, “I’m a college man remember? I have to keep up the image of being at these things.”
 
 Shaking her head Carmella said, “Boys, I might have spent a lot of time with you fellas but I sure as hell don’t understand you.”
 
Shrugging Alex said, “Welcome to the club sometimes we don’t understand ourselves. You wanna leave this place? I got a ball in my trunk or we could catch a movie.”
 
Setting down her punch on the kitchen counter near the door Carmella said, “Sure, why not?”
 
On the outside Carmella might be the picture of calm but inside her heart was hammering a hundred miles an hour. While Pete might be bigger than his brother Alex a fellow quarterback had the physique of a model that caused her palms to sweat.
 
Carmella had always liked scary movies and was pleased when Alex picked one. He insisted on paying since he had gotten a summer job at a local bookstore and had a lot of extra money thanks to the hours.
 
 Carmella grabbed some seats while Alex bought popcorn and sodas. Finding her as the previews started he handed her a soda and offered her some popcorn.
 
Taking the soda she put it in the cup holder next to her and took some of the popcorn Alex offered. During a moment in the movie the killer trapped some poor girl in her home and jumped out at her as she tried to escape down the hall.
 
 
Carmella was startled and cringed into Alex’s body as if for safety. When the moment was over she blushed realizing what she had done and moved back to her side of the arm rest.
 
As the movie went on they glanced at each other smiling and teasing each other when the other one got scared. During one of those times as he started to turn towards him
 
Carmella moved in and planted a kiss on his lips before withdrawing to gauge his reaction. A look of a bewilderment crossed over his face as he stared at her.
 
Finally after a moment which seemed like forever for her Alex said, “That’s not fair! I was supposed to kiss you first!”
 
Bursting out laughing Carmella said, “Too little, too late my friend.”
 
Grabbing his shirt she pulled him in close and looked deep into his eyes saying, “But you can always have the second.”
 
After thinking about it for a moment Alex said, “Oh well, I’ll take what I can get.” Pressing his lips to hers he felt her arms go around his neck deepening the kiss.
 
After driving Carmella home Alex kissed her again on her doorstep. “Does this mean we are going steady” Alex asked.
 
Biting her lip Carmella seemed to consider the idea as she said teasingly, “I suppose so, but I was expecting flowers.”
 
Alex regaining his usual coolness said, “I can do flowers.”
 
Laughing she kissed him again before heading inside. Alex had a broad grin as he headed back to his car, though unexpected tonight had been a welcome surprise.
 
Pete his brother entered their room where Alex would be staying until he went back to college. “So I hear you left the party with a girl.” Pete said.
 
“Not just any girl, Carmella actually.” Alex said taking off his dress shoes.
 
“Wait, our Carm?” Pete asked shocked.
 
Looking at Pete as he finished changing Alex said, “Yes our Carm. We went a horror flick. I remembered she liked them.”
 
“Why would you go out with her? You could have had any girl at the party.” Pete asked.
 
Shaking his head Alex said, “I had forgotten how stupid high school boys could be. Y’all are so interested in keeping up your precious image that you limit what kind of women you date.
 
Let me let you in on a little secret little brother: A girl is a girl no matter how tall she is. Carm whether you realize it or not is a beautiful young woman. Just because you’re too dense to notice it doesn’t mean I have to be.”
 
“Okay fair enough. What did you do kiss her?” Pete said poking fun at him.
 
“To be perfectly honest she kissed me first. I kinda like that in a woman. Carm knows what she wants and doesn’t care about fitting into a mold.” Alex said getting into his bed across from Pete’s.
 
“Are you planning to see her again?” Pete asked.
 
Alex who had his back facing him turned craning his neck to look at him saying, “Why should you care? What’s with all the questions? You like her or something?”
 
“No, we are just friends that’s all.” Pete said but he knew deep down that he was lying.
 
When his brother had mentioned kissing her he had felt a tinge of jealousy. He was trying to hide it but there was no denying it.
 
Alex was too tired to notice that his response had been too quick and its tone had been defensive. If he had he would have asked his brother more on the subject but instead he slipped off into sleep.
 
Carmella enjoyed her first year on varsity and was taking it in stride. Her summer had been great with Alex spending his nights with her.
 
Elian had been strict on her curfew but Alex always returned her home on time showing that there was no reason to worry. Carmella was irritated by her father’s over protectiveness but dealt with it as best she could obeying his rules.
 
She was enjoying her time with Alex and his lessons in kissing. Carmella enjoyed his expertise and was almost disappointed when he always stopped before it went too far.
 
Alex was the classic gentleman with her and even told her father where they were going so he would worry less. Emily helped to further soothe Elian’s nerves about the whole business so he felt more comfortable with it.
 
Pete watched his brother go out night after night and tortured himself with what he might be doing with Carmella. Like everyone else he knew Alex wouldn’t be after her virtue but him simply being with her was enough to drive Pete crazy.
 
Burying it deep inside he went to school and acted as her center as he always did never letting her know. His parents left his brother in charge while they went on a cruise during their honeymoon and Alex promised to look after him.
 
 During that time one of the boys in the locker room who had heard of Carmella dating his brother had his own ideas on what was going on between her and him.
 
When the boy had made a comment that she was giving it up to him to keep Alex interested Pete punched him right in the mouth and was on top of him in seconds beating the kid senseless.
 
 Pete was sent to the principal’s office and Alex came in to talk to Mr. Mitchell. When he picked Pete up after school he pulled the car over when they were half way home.
 
“Alright what’s going on?” Alex asked.
 
Looking out the window Pete replied, “Nothing.”
 
Switching the engine off Alex said, “Don’t feed me that crap! I know you! There is only one reason why you would beat someone up for talking about Carm that way.”
 
Looking him square in the eye Pete asked, “What do you want me to say?”
 
“How about the truth for starters?” Alex said, “Like I said there can only be one reason for what happened, and I want to hear you say it.”
 
Giving up Pete said, “Okay I like her alright. Is that what you wanted to hear? Are you happy?”
 
Shaking his head in disgust Alex asked, “Have you told her?”
Looking at him in disbelief Pete replied, “Is that what you think of me? That I am going to steal my brother’s girl just cause I want her too?”
 
 At that comment Alex’s eyes stared at the floor.
 
“Maybe not for much longer.” Alex said. “I don’t understand.” Pete said.
 
Sighing Alex said, “I’m going to the pros little bro. They want me in Florida. I’m supposed to leave at the end of the year to get ready for training camp.
 
I’ve been given my shot. If it works out I’ll be far away, too far to be in solid relationship. I know Carm and she deserves more that.”
 
Pete couldn’t believe it. “So you are going to just leave?” Pete asked.
 
Alex nodded and said, “Yes, I am. But that’s not the only issue here. The question is do you have the guts to follow your heart?
 
We both care about Carm. If I could I would take her with me but we both know that wouldn’t work out.
 
She has a life here and I won’t have her resenting me for taking her away from it, but you can be with her. So what are you going to do Pete? Are you going to step up and let the chips fall where they may or are you going to fold and let this chance slip you by?”
 
“You’re not making this easy.” Pete said torn.
 
“Life rarely is. Better you learn that now then later. If you want her then you have to grow up. This thing about caring all about your image and fitting in crap has got to go. You can’t have both. Carm is not your average girl.” Alex said.
 
“I know that.” Pete said thinking it over.
 
Finally Pete gave a smile and a shrug as he said, “Ah hell, we only live once. At least I know that if she accepts me I’ll be dating a girl I have known most of my life. To hell with the rest of them.”
 
Alex was proud of Pete but both knew that it was easier said then done.
 
Pete waited until Alex and Carmella ended their relationship. He was there for her when she was upset about the break up.
 
The problem Pete had was making a move. He did not want to feel like he was taking advantage of her, so instead he just went out with Carmella as friends. One day they were going for a walk in the park when they struck up a conversation.
 
“Did you like that movie we went to last night?” Pete asked.
 
“It was okay but I prefer horror movies you know that.” Carmella replied. Walking to a bench they both took a seat.
 
“Come on Carm we’ve seen every horror movie in the theatres. I need a break.” Pete replied.
 
“Maybe if you would just come out and say that you want to date me I would.” Carmella said with a sidelong glance.
 
Pete just sat there at a loss for words. It took several moments for his mind to get over the shock of what he had just heard.
 
“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Pete lied unsuccessfully.
 
“Well I guess I was wrong. It’s too bad to I probably would have said yes.” Carmella said convincingly as she stood up and started walking off.
 
Pete couldn’t pass up the opportunity and miss his chance so he said, “Wait Carm!”
 
Turning around Carmella turned around as if she had no clue what he was going to say.
 
“Yes Pete?” Carmella asked.
 
Facing her Pete said, “How did you know?”
 
Shaking her head Carmella chuckled a little before replying simply, “Pete you hate scary movies.”
 
 Pete thought about it and winced when he realized his error. Carmella was absolutely right. Pete had always hated them even as a child.
 
It had been her and Alex that had loved them as they grew up. By asking her to go to so many of them with her Pete might as well have been waving a sign that said he liked her.
 
“I am an idiot.” Pete said sitting back down on the bench as he stared at the ground.
 
 He was so embarrassed at that moment. Pete couldn’t believe he had made it so obvious. Sitting down beside him he felt Carmella staring at him. Looking up at her he wondered why.
 
 “Well?” Carmella said.
 
Not understanding Pete said, “Well what?”
 
Shaking her head she sighed and turned away. Pete thought about it and then it hit him. Pulling her toward him he planted a kiss on her lips and felt her go limp in his arms.
 
When he finally broke the kiss to look into her eyes Carmella said, “Took you long enough!”
 
 Pete couldn’t help laughing at this before he kissed her again.
 
Summer began and Carm found she had a lot of time on her hands when she wasn’t spending time with Pete or her family. Walking past one of the shopping centers on her way home from the mall she found a martial arts dojo.
 
Deciding to check it out she headed inside. The students practiced not only grappling but punching and kicking wearing protective headgear and gloves. Carm had never seen anything like it. The teacher watching his students noticed her enter and smiled waving her in.
 
Coming face to face with her he offered her his hand. She took it giving him a firm hand shake.
“Name’s George Daniels what’s yours miss?” The sensei said.
 
“Carmella Ramirez sir. What is this place? I’ve never seen people fight like this outside a street fight.” Carm said.
 
 Chuckling Daniels replied, “While street fighting is its own style we tend to be a little more technical here. You sound like you seen a lot of it.”
 
“Been in a scrape or two. Usually ends with me on top. So can anyone join up or is this for boys only like everything else?” Carm asked noticing the lack of girls in the class.
 
“I welcome anyone interested in learning, but first let’s see what you can do.” Daniels said motioning one of the students over.
 
He was a little shorter than Carm but was actually about the same weight. Daniels had picked him specifically for that.
 
“Alright Carmella will grab herself some gear and you to will face off as soon as she is ready.” Daniels told them.
 
Both parties nodded in acknowledge Carm flashing a cocky smile.
Chapter 4
 
They squared off and Daniels gave the command to begin. Carmella moved launching a series of combinations that caught Patrick Connors by surprise.
 
Time after time they connected stinging him. Carmella’s jabs set him up as she countered his every swing. Carmella was showing that she really knew how to use his hands.
 
It got to the point that he finally decided to give up on the stand up game. Instead he decided to take her to the ground.
 
Shooting forward he went for her legs. Even as he started to pick her up she gave him a vicious right hook. Both of them went down slamming onto the mat as Patrick was stunned.
 
Striking with a flurry of forearm shots she forced him to cover up hiding his face. The headgear softened the blows but they still stung. Shifting her hips she leg pressed him off with a mighty heave.
 
Sprawling Patrick came back to his feet at the same time Carm did. Grappling with him she tied up his hands bringing powerful knee strikes into play weakening his midsection.
 
Breaking contact she kicked him in his lead leg setting up more strikes to further weaken his base. Daniels could find a number of different martial arts styles in how she fought and wondered if she had picked them up from her opponent in those street fights.
 
 Daniels was pretty impressed with what he had seen so far. She had a good defense as well as great offensive potential.
 
The only fault he could find in her technique was that she couldn’t seem to finish her opponent. It looked like she didn’t have the power to make that final blow.
 
Daniels decided that was something they would have to work on. It was his full assessment of her until he saw her last counterpunch.
 
Patrick came forward swing a right hook hoping to catch her by surprise with his speed. Carm quickly countered his hook with a right cross knocking his lights out, and sending him spinning to the mat.
 
Daniels seeing the entire exchange reassessed her at that moment. He bumped her up a grade in estimate realizing she did have some power.
 
He had seen at least one power punch and they could work off of that if need be easily. Daniels had to admit the timing and striking power it took to pull it off had been a thing of beauty.
 
A question occurred to him and he decided to ask it.
 
“Why didn’t you try something like that earlier? I saw plenty of opportunities. Did you simply lack the confidence?” Daniels asked.
 
Shrugging Carmella answered, “You asked to have a real look at me not see how fast I could knock him out. If you had said otherwise I would have knocked him out at the first opportunity.”
 
Daniels and Connors could only stare at her in shock. Just to make sure he sent one of his other boys against Carm who didn’t even seem winded.
 
Maybe a minute into the fight the young man left an opening and Carm took it. Smashing him with a left hook she stunned him before again coming with a right cross finishing him off.
 
The man went down for the count his legs buckling. He had stood pretty close to Carm’s height and had a much larger build but she had still picked him apart.
 
“How many fights did you say you’ve been involved in?” Daniels said as she took off her gear sitting on the mat.
 
“Stopped counting after the first ten of them. After that it’s not about the numbers. You fight because you love it or you stop right there. Ain’t no normal person gonna go past ten.” Carm said.
 
“And you were crazy enough to love this.” Daniels said with a smile.
 
Returning it Carm said, “Of course why do you think I smiled before we started. It’s been a while since I had so much fun. Pity I can’t do it for a living.”
 
Offering her a hand up which she took Daniels said, “Let’s talk.”
 
After talking a little the two agreed to a schedule where Carm would help out around the dojo over the summer while she trained. Some of the money she earned would pay for the training and the rest she could keep for her own use.
 
 It was how she spent most of her summer working on her ground game before the summer’s end. At that time she would be allowed to participate in a local exhibition that local dojos set up before going to hell week for football practice, and then school.
 
While Daniels had no doubt she had talent there were problems training her. Carm hated to jump rope and preferred fighting to any other training regimen.
Sometimes Daniels had to just get her to work out in other ways. She was also stubborn preferring to do things her own way.
 A lot of the time when he gave tips from the corner she ignored him. Most of the time she didn’t seem to need them but it was still frustrating.
 
Carm wasn’t afraid to go toe to toe even against a heavier opponent. That is where she really lived.
 
With a hard chin and good hands she could take a punch as well as she could dish one out. Sometimes Daniels thought she was nuts when Carm did this with his heavy hitter a little above her weight class, but she managed to win time and time again.
 
After awhile Daniels realized it was not just skill but will power and heart. If she got knocked down she got back up never backing down.
 
Sometimes her sparring partners threw everything they had at her and she still managed to stay standing even under their worst punches. Gritting her teeth she clench with them staying close and not allowing them to breathe or think.
 
If they showed a slip or an opening she was on them never giving them a chance to recover. When it was all over she would shake hands and be as friendly as ever, but in that ring she was down right frightening.
 
If you hurt her she gave you a smile. If she hurt you she showed a grin.
 
She was tricky on top of it. When she backed off like she was hurt the other guy would charge in overconfident.
 
 At that moment it was almost always a repeat of what happened to Connors. Her counters were a lot more accurate than anyone that faced her liked.
 
All she needed was one good shot and she could put you away and everyone that faced her now knew it. The moment they forgot it she had them right where she wanted them.
 
Daniel’s taught her defense and offense on the ground practicing for hours in it. From him Carm picked up how to apply pressure and avoid submissions.
 
By the time her first exhibition with students from other schools, to prepare her for a future as a fighter began she was eager to face her first real challenge.
 


Chapter 5
 
When the exhibition finally came Carm shivered with anticipation. Squaring off with a young red head about her age, and size Carm charged out of the gate as soon as the ref gave the go. When the other girl tried to deliver a hard punch, Carm spun to her outside and smashed her with a hard backfist.
 
The girl went down crashing to the mat. Carm was on her before the girl knew it, punching her with right and left hooks. The ref stopped it after a few seconds of this onslaught. Carm was declared the winner of the match by TKO.
 
The rest of the exhibitions eliminated everyone but two fighters. Connors and her were in the final match against each other. Many who knew them were looking forward to the rematch.
 
The match started with a stand up fight that Carm was winning at just like their earlier one. In the middle of the match Connors went for her legs. Carm sprawled as a defense against it. Leaning her upper body into him and her lower body away, she kept her legs out of reach of his grasping hands.
 
Connors slipped as they struggled and Carm got his back, and tried to slip in a sleeperhold. Connors managed to slip in an arm in denying her the opportunity.
 In response Carm started punching his head as she continued to hold him, the headgear softening the repeated strikes. Seeing that punching him would not be enough Carm changed tactics.
 
Slipping her arm higher she wrapped it around his forehead clamping down hard. Leaning her body back, she used her body weight to lift his head clean off the mat exposing it.
 
Bringing the bony part of her left forearm against his face with all the force she could muster; she smashed his cheek and nose. She did this repeatedly as Connors tried to fend her off.
 
Everyone watching could imagine what would have happened without the padding. Even now Connors nose was bleeding a little from her multiple strikes.
 
 Freeing himself from her grip he slipped out from under her, rolling clear he made it to his feet. Carm zeroed in on the bloody nose striking at it whenever she got the chance. After a few minutes of this Connors was in a lot of pain, and was severely winded.
 
His nose freely leaked blood to the point he couldn’t breathe out of it, forcing him to breathe out of his mouth. He was sucking for breath as he tried to put up a good defense. Carm however had plenty of steam left and was becoming more and more aggressive.
 
 Faltering again exhausted Connors couldn’t fend her off anymore. Seeing her opening she moved in for the kill, and nailed him with a right hook dropping him.
 
It was the second knock out he had suffered against Carm. Raising her hand in victory as the judges gave her the decision Carm was named the champion of the competition.
 
Carm didn’t forget her time with her classmates or Daniels at the dojo. Even when school started Carm still stayed friends with a lot of the guys from class.
 
Practicing with them on the weekends she kept up on her training staying fresh. Pete started to get a little upset at this, because he wanted to spend more time with her. As a compromise she cut it down to every other weekend.
 
Her schedule on the weekend was not the only change in Carm’s life. Her fellow fighters invited her, and Pete to a bunch of parties that they were going to.
 
 For Carm it was the time of her life, but not so much so for Pete. Carm was coming out of her shell while he remained self-conscious of everything he did.
 
Proud of her body she would wear a sports bra for her top, and running pants with white stripes down the side of them at parties. If it was cold she wore a dark hooded sweater over them to stay warm.
 
Her new style of clothing showed her rock hard abs and arms. Pete didn’t like his girlfriend showing off so much skin, and how much attention other guys gave her as a result.
 
 Staring down any guy bold enough to look at his girl, when he was standing right next to her Pete was getting pretty jealous.
 
Carm often tried to wrestle with him for fun when they were alone in his or her bedroom. Pete refused to do it knowing he was going to lose after trying it the first time.
 
As the season began Pete became more and more distant. At first Carmella didn’t notice, but after a month into the season she finally started to notice. Carm wondered why and decided to talk to him about it.
 
“What’s up? Want to hang out at my house after practice?” Carm asked meeting him after his last class.
 
“Nah I got homework to do.” Pete said not meeting her eyes.
 
It was obvious to Carm that he was lying.
 
“Fine! Do whatever you want! Call me when you want to act like my boyfriend.” Carm said storming off.
 
After a week of waiting for him to call or see him after school, she saw him walk to the bleachers after one of their games. He had just changed into his P.E. clothes after taking a shower coming out of the locker room.
 
Heading to the bleachers Carm intended to talk to Pete and make up. Something was obviously wrong and it might have been something she did that had started it all.
 
When she saw what Pete was doing she quickly changed her mind. Pete was kissing one the cheerleaders from a neighboring school. The girl was still in her cheerleader’s uniform as they began making out in the shadows underneath.
 
“You b*****d!” Carm yelled charging in.
 
The girl screamed and ran for her life into the parking lot. Pete also started running but he headed towards the field. Making it onto the football he found Carm right on his heels.
 
Pete did his best to outrun her but Carm was much faster. Jumping onto his back and she took him down.
 
Mounting his chest she pounded into his face until he started to lose consciousness. Groaning in pain he felt Carm get off him and the agony as she gave him a kick to the balls.
 
“Consider this a break up Pete! Don’t ever call me!” Carm shouted walking away.
 
Bloodied and bruised Pete could only lie there, and continue to groan in agony curled up in a fetal position. When he finally got up he decided in light of what had just happened, to never cheat on a woman again.


 
Chapter 6
 
 
Carmella decided try out for defense in the middle of the season. She would still be a quarterback but wanted to try something else.
 
After a couple of practices the head coach gave her a linebacker position. She was quick and agile finding gaps in the line to make major plays.
 
When Pete showed up after healing from his injuries her new position provided yet another bonus.
 
The head coach was the first to notice Carm focusing on punishing Pete, whenever she could get away with it. In one instance when he came out to block the nose guard, she aimed her helmet for Pete’s side.
 
Grunting in pain he was caught by surprise, and fell backwards. Carm rushed past him after getting up. The runback was caught low by the hit. Carm was able to lift him up and slam him to the ground stunning him.
 
“D****t Ramirez! Your supposed to touch him not tackle him! And you Koshchek what the hell are you doing?
 
You let a backer put you right on your back and she isn’t even near your size. Both of you stay after practice! The rest of you hit the showers!” Coach Davis said.
 
Both players took a knee at their Coach’s command. It was obvious that Carm didn’t like Koshchek and Davis meant to find out why.
 
Both were his star players. He needed both if the team were to play well. Pete and Carm were both good kids and it was a shame to see two former friends fighting.
 
“I don’t know what happened that caused this, but you better fix it! Either you do that or you are both off the team and we could really use both of you. I need my players to work together not try to take the other apart.” Davis said leaving it at that.
 
Left alone Carm and Pete looked at each other. They both knew the coach was right.
 
“Sorry about your side.” Carm said with downcast eyes.
 
“Yeah sorry about cheating on you. Hope you can forgive me.” Pete replied.
 
Offering him a hand Carm said, “Friends?”
 
Taking her hand and shaking it firmly Pete answered, “Friends.”
 
Sitting on the grass Pete said, “So did I have a preview of how you usually fight?”
 
Raising an eyebrow Carm said, “What?”
 
“You talked many times about the matches you fought in. I was wondering if that was your technique or style.” Pete replied.
 
Sitting down also Carm answered, “Pretty much I suppose. I have been told a number of people that I’m aggressive and vicious. Most of my buddies wouldn’t want to face me in a fight.”
 
Chuckling Pete said, “I can imagine. My jaw still aches a little.”
 
Thinking for a moment Pete gathered his courage before saying, “I was wondering if you would do me the honor of accompanying me to the dance.”
 
“Why not, every other guy is probably afraid to now.” Carm said with a shrug.
 
“I guess I’ll take that as an answer.” Pete said with a smile.
 
Pausing for effect Pete asked, “Wait, does this mean I will actually see you in a dress?”
 
“Owww!” Pete cry out when Carm responded by punching in the arm.
 
The End
 

© 2008 Cylis Derrens


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Tuff... I liked it!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I remember reading this before the Great Crash '08. Very nicely done.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 16, 2008
Last Updated on April 24, 2008

Author

Cylis Derrens
Cylis Derrens

About
I am 26 years old and was born in San Diego California. more..

Writing