Darth Demus

Darth Demus

A Story by Cylis Derrens
"

The story of Demus' rise to power.

"

 

 
 
By Cylis Derrens
 
 
 
Darth Demus: Star Wars
 
 
 
 
 
 
Part 1
 
Standing on a Star Destroyer Malice, Darth Demus’ mind was wrapped in a vision. Sights and sound he saw of a twi’lek Jedi named Aayla Secura.
 
Something drew him to this alien female so different than him with her blue skin which was so alluring. Lust but also something deeper he did not like: Warm and at the same time frightening.
 
 Turning his mind to other things about her dismissed those emotions focusing in the cold darkness of the Dark Side.
 
Her power in the Force was exceptional and could grow if properly nurtured. The added bonus that in hiding her it had proven Darth Sidious’ weakness only bolstered her worth to him.
 Demus had enjoyed blocking his master’s plans of destroying all the Jedi by hiding her away on a small world far from his grasp. Taking away any means of escape, he had left her there with only a few hidden sensors to monitor her just in case.
 
Now with the death of Palpatine at his hands he could now return without risk. It had taken great effort to doctor the records and convince the stormtroopers sent to carry out the order that there was nothing on this world. Each of them had to have their memory wiped when they reported to him after the job was done.
 
Still given those visions he had started to experience shortly after kneeling to pledge his obedience to his new master, the effort had been worth it.
 
“Is the shuttle ready captain?” Demus turned to the older man dressed in a pressed gray imperial uniform.
 
Captain Talas was a career Imperial officer who had risen quickly through the ranks under Demus’ patronage, a fact he would never forget.
 
Demus didn’t really care about the man personally but he had his uses. Right now Talas was merely here to transport him to this world and leave.
 
The middle aged officer with his scarecrow like form and brown hair seemed eager to get rid of him, but tried not to show it. Demus hid a smile at the fear he sensed from him. While the captain was trying to keep his distance Demus could still feel it: intense and intoxicating.
 
The Dark Side of the Force let it flow through him like a conduit powerful and filling.
 
Demus enjoyed toying with the older man, and seeing how far he could push him if only to provide himself with a bit of entertainment. Already he could see the man begin to sweat out of the corner of his eye.
 
“Yes Lord Demus. It awaits for your departure whenever it pleases you.” The captain said his voice showing the tiniest bit of his fear that he was not able to hold back.
 
“And you would prefer that would be sooner rather than later.” Demus stated almost idly.
 
While he might not have voiced it as a question the captain took it as such.
 
“Of course not sir. I only wish to serve in whatever way I can.” The captain answered, trying to sound convincing.
 
He feared that Demus would see through his false sincerity which in fact he did. Had Demus been more cruel he might have toyed with him more. Never liking the Emperor and his silly little Imperial Navy he had looked on the captain as a fine scapegoat to vent himself on whenever he felt the urge.
 
 Deciding enough was enough he released the invisible hold he had on the man’s mind and said, “Very good captain. I will land on the planet, and you will patrol the star system to make sure I am not disturbed. If I have need of you I will contact you, but for now I’m sure there are other duties that require your attention.”
 
“As you wish my lord.” The Captain saluted quickly hurrying away relieved to be excused.
 
Making his way to the hangar and his transport Demus could feel a similar feeling of apprehension from the rest of the crew. Many had heard what he had done to the Emperor, since the royal guard had found his dead body.
 
Demus had killed the two guards when they tried to avenge the old man in a matter of seconds before shocked imperial officers. Afraid of being next they quickly acknowledged him as the Emperor’s rightful successor pledging their loyalty. Afterwards the rumors had soon spread, and Demus had let them.
 
Fearful enemies would be hesitant to attack: something Demus preferred because he didn’t want to waste time. What was left of the Imperial fleet had fled just as he did that day seeking to escape with their lives but none dared challenge his right to rule.
 
In the months that followed he had managed to keep the imperial fleet alive and fighting despite facing superior numbers. For a time the rebels were forced to consolidate their power in the core worlds buying the imperials time.
 
Demus expected a professionalism and a strict adherence to duty. Failing to do that meant a “final apology”.
 
As he boarded his ship pilot and copilot went over their checks again not wanting to arouse his displeasure if anything went wrong. They had learned that provoking it was not wise by any means.
 
One crewmember had accidentally dropped a sparti cylinder used for cloning when he became careless, and Demus arriving after it was reported had broken his neck right in front of the rest of the unloading crew reaching out to attack him through the Force.
 
The gesture had been effortless and all had watched in shock as the man fell to the floor lifeless and limp.
 
“See to it that there are no more little accidents or next time I assure you the next death will be far more painful.” Demus said coldly striding away leaving others to dispose of the body.
 
At that moment all the crew realized that failure meant possible death, and that only success kept their lives from being expendable. Demus rewarded those who earned that right, and just like that crewman punished those who he considered a weak link as an example to others.
 
“The final check is finished Lord Demus. All systems check out.” The pilot said waiting for his command.
 
“Proceed.” Demus replied from the chair behind him.
 
Pressing the needed controls the shuttle took off under the pilot’s and copilot’s expert guidance. They were the best and were determined to continue to be just that.
 
Both men had received upgrades in pay and position on the ship due to being Lord Demus’ personal shuttle crew, giving them a distinct pride not shared by all.
 
In the past few months they had learned to anticipate him, understanding that he preferred efficiency and professionalism over an overabundance of style. Each movement the two men made had a purpose and they always kept an eye out for any change in the sensors or controls, ready to make an immediate adjustment if needed.
 
Landing smoothly on the planet they took off again once Demus was safely clear, heading back to the ship.
 
Demus watched them go as he stood not far from an erected dwelling where the Jedi resided. Even now he could feel her hiding not far to the west behind some rocks. She no doubt that he had come to kill her and finish the job.
 
Approaching her position he felt her trying to disguise herself in the Force but that would do little good. Only Demus and his father knew truly how to do that. Any other tricks could not compare to that level of skill and ability.
 
“Greeting Aayla Secura. You needn’t hide from me, if I wanted you dead I would have left that to your clone troops on the planet I found you. I assure you they were quite adequate for the job.” Demus said loudly so he was sure she could hear him.
 
Coming out from her hiding place Aayla came into view weaponless.
 
“What do you want?” Aayla asked remaining calm despite his unpleasant aura.
 
“I have come to give you a gift. You may recognize it.” Demus said tossing an object to her which she caught.
 
Looking at it in her hand Aayla said, “One of my lightsabers. I did not expect to ever see any of them again. Why would you return this to me?”
 
“I imagine you have been itching to kill me, especially since I played a part in the attack on your order, and placed you here abandoned on this world. I thought it best to get that little nuisance out of the way.” Demus said unhooking his own lightsaber without taking up a defensive stance, “So whenever you’re ready, by all means.”
 
Igniting her lightsaber Aayla charged in quickly hoping to take him by surprise. Slashing at him from the right she watched as he deflected it with a one handed parry of his lightsaber, knocking her blade away with his off hand.
 
“You’ll have to do better than that.” Demus said turning to look at her.
 
Focusing herself in the Force Aayla launched a flurry at Demus striking side to side and high to low trying to find a hole in his defenses. Each stroke he parried backing up to give himself room.
 
Aayla soon realized that she was only wearing herself out as he was just keeping her at bay as she tired herself.
 
Changing tactics she leapt onto a nearby rock and came at him from on high leaping into the air.
 
It had the advantage of being able to smash through his guard by providing more power than she could normally muster. Instead of standing there and blocking it or dodging aside as she expected, Demus’ blade came up in a two handed upward slice at just the right moment.
 
As his blade met hers it continued forward knocking her blade that way. There was so much power in the stroke that Aayla almost lost her saber and barely held on. Removing one hand from the handle he sent a force push right into her mid-section knocking the wind out of her while she was still in mid air.
 
Aayla was so dazed that she flew forwards landing on her back hard. Opening her eyes and forcing away the jarring pain she found his lightsaber inches from her throat.
 
“How disappointing. I expected more even without your second saber, but I suppose it is only fair you have that too.” Demus said backing away and tossing her the other lightsaber he had taken from her, which appeared from inside his robes.
 
The saber hit the ground settling only inches from her finger tips.
 
“Now shall we try again?” Demus asked.
 
“You are toying with me.” Aayla said even as picked it up and stood taking a fighting stance.
 
“Of course I am, but also I am judging your skills. Call it curiosity. I want to see what you can do.” Demus said with a bemused smile.
 
Igniting the second saber Aayla immediately gained her feet and attacked. Twirling her blades she tried to use her speed to defeat him. Demus matched each strike still smiling and keeping up easily.
 
“Much better Jedi. A far cry from what I saw earlier, but it shows your apparent lack of training. A true master would learn to fight with as many blades as they needed or lack there of.” Demus said in a tone much like one of her own teachers when she herself had been learning to use a lightsaber.
 
“I don’t need any lessons from you Sith. I have more than enough to defeat you.” Aayla said determined to do just that.
 
She tried to keep calm surprised at how his words were getting to her.
 
“Overconfidence is a weakness little Jedi…” Demus began as he blocked one stroke and spun to her left around another.
 
As part of the spin his foot shot out making contact with the back of one of her knees sweeping the leg even as his other foot made contact with the ground. Taken off her feet in one quick motion Aayla lost both lightsabers as fell flat on her back.
 
Just like before she felt Demus’ lightsaber poised to cut open her throat.
 
“…as you can see.” He finished.
 
Shutting off his lightsaber he walked away leaving her to think of what had just happened. Even as she watched him go Aayla knew he was her only way of this planet.
 
Sitting alone in the sand just outside her dwelling Demus meditated quietly with his eyes closed. His mind far away he did not sense Aayla until she was at the base of the hill where the dwelling stood.
 
Opening his eyes he did not move as she continued her approach sitting down in front of him.
 
“What is your name Sith Lord? Surely you have a title.” Aayla said.
 
“I have two names Jedi. One given to me after my awakening, and one my master gave to me.” Demus replied returning his facial expression to their usual stoic manner.
 
“Awakening? Don’t you mean birth?” Aayla asked suddenly confused.
 
“You were born I was not. I was a copy of my master. He rescued me from my captors and taught me the true nature of the Force.” Demus said.
 
Aayla’s eyebrows rose as this meant he was a clone.
 
Steeling her face Aayla replied, “Did you kill him too just as you killed Darth Sidious; the one we have been hunting?”
 
“I have not killed my father yet.” Demus answered the word showing only the slightest hint of emotion in him.
 
“Your father? The one you were cloned after?” Aayla said thinking of how a relationship like that could work.
 
In all the stories of the Sith they eventually turned on one another. Could it be that two could exist and be father and son as well?
 
“Your thoughts betray you Jedi Secura. Of course such a thing can occur. To date it has been one of the things that has made us reluctant to kill each other, even though we are now mortal enemies.
 
Now one of us is no longer a Sith, a decision I have become increasingly unhappy with. As Sith the bond we shared could have kept us from killing each other at least for many years, but now as clear enemies that is no longer the case.” Demus said.
 
“So your father turned the light.” Aayla commented.
 
“Returned would be a more accurate description. My father was raised a Jedi before as a young man he was turned to the ways of the Sith in a future time. It would take too long to explain the details properly. The short story is that his past weakened him, holding him back from a glorious future.” Demus said.
 
“Once you start down the dark path consume you it will as it has so many.” Aayla quoted to him.
 
“Cute Jedi, but your dogmatic views have no bearing on me or my father. For us there is less danger than you think. For us the Dark Side gives its power freely to us for we were born to its power.
 
It is part of who we are and exist in our very blood, as it will in all who follow us.
 
I bare the mark of the Sith just as he does marking my powerful heritage. I am a descendant of my namesake Naga Sadow. While my title is Darth Demus the name of my “birth” will always mark my special place in this galaxy.
 
I like my father was made to be what I am, even if he chooses to no longer acknowledge it. All the power he now holds flows from its study, it even allowed him to crush the forces of my former master Emperor Palpatine; who you know as Darth Sidious.
 
His defeat at my father’s hands heralded his end at my own and my rise to power. Even now I could have his whole empire and challenge my father for your reality, but that is not my goal.
 
I want true power not its shell: the power to change my destiny and live forever should I choose to. Palpatine sought something similar, but like in all things he grew too proud and had to be brought low.
 
The Sith do not belong as the open masters of the stars and many worlds. Our ways are secret.
 
We attack from the shadows with surprise being our strongest ally. In the end one would overthrow any who seek to rule openly.
 
It would be much better if I will ruled thousands of worlds from afar without anyone knowing. The enemy you can’t see you can’t fight.” Darth Demus said.
 
“Why are you telling me all this?” Aayla asked.
 
“To give you one final chance to kill me.” Demus said tossing her his lightsaber.
 
“I am unarmed. You could kill me in cold blood, and stop all that suffering. I will not defend myself.
You have only to will yourself to do what must be done. Take my life Aayla and you can be the hero who saved all.
 
They would rejoice you in the streets. “The Savior of the New Republic”.
 
A republic that will replace the old, better stronger but not if I have anything to say about it.
 
I will undermine everything and when the moment is right I will attack where they least expect tearing it apparent and bringing about anarchy, and in that anarchy I will rule all.
 
Worlds shall battle worlds openly and in secret. Can you imagine such suffering Jedi and easily stand by when you could have done something?” Demus said.
 
Igniting the lightsaber Aayla could almost see all that suffering and Demus being the cause of it. She watched as Demus knelt before her removing his cloak with no more weapons on him. Turning his back he waited for her to strike.
 
“What are you waiting for?” Demus said calmly without a hint of fear.
 
Raising the saber to strike she thought about how easy it would be. Normally she would be unable to beat him. Even now she had trouble believing even Masters Yoda or Windu could alone. The more she thought of it the more angry she became.
 
‘Calm yourself. This is a trap. He means for you to strike him down in anger and you will never be able to turn back. That will be his final revenge.’ Aayla thought to herself.
 
As she sought peace in the Force a new idea occurred to her. Why was he so determined to save her? At any time he could have taken her life, but why hadn’t he? Was it simply for this moment? If so why not before when she had first been captured or as he said back with her clone troops?
 
Stretching out through her feelings she sought the answer and soon found it. Whether Demus realized it or not he had left a chink in his mental armor, giving Aayla a way in.
 
Seeing into his mind she saw his true emotions for her. A Love, and desire for a person he had not even met before. He was trying to surpress them even now, that was why he turned away.
 
“Why do you love me? You don’t even know me.” Aayla asked lowering the lightsaber.
 
Fear touched Demus’ heart as he risked being found out, but still he could not stop himself from answering her.
 
“Because I have seen you in my visions and my dreams. Every moment of your life was an open book to me and I know it all.
 
 You could be powerful but so much more. In all of them you are a companion; someone I trust, and I find myself feeling…” Demus started to say but didn’t finish.
 
“…afraid.” Aayla finished the thought for him, seeing him turn around his eyes filled with shock; the same emotion she herself was feeling.
 
How did she know what he felt? Was it that small glimpse into his mind or something more, something deeper?
 
Each felt the powerful connection that connected the two of them, allowing
 
Aayla continued the line of thought speaking aloud saying, “You afraid because it would cause you to lose control, and you like control. Everything you feel you allow. Your emotions don’t control you. Emotions are something you can use as a defense or weapon.”
 
“Enough.” Demus said getting up but turning away her words hitting too close to home.
 
Aayla could not help but feel drawn to him and this was not some trap he had set. She could feel this pull was real. Perhaps she could be the source of his redemption and turn him to the Lightside of the Force just like his father.
 
“No it isn’t.” Aayla said.
 
Stepping forward Aayla kissed him and he soon returned it.
 
Across a great void they came together and a love affair sparked between them. A year passed and Aayla found herself with child.Demus was now a proud father with his own little family.
 
One morning Demus was practicing his lightsaber technique when he sensed two paths opening before him.
 
Sitting down to meditate he abruptly ended his training sensation wishing to see what might lay in his future.
 
Opening his mind he focused on the ebb and flow of the Force it currents carrying his mind where it needed to go until a vision came to him. Among the swirling color a space cleared showing him his future. In it he was standing on some distant world and he found Aayla with a child alone.
 
The child was theirs, with the blue skin and the eyes of a twi’lek, while the rest of his features seemed quite human. A new-born babe he was held close in his mother’s arms as Demus approached.
 
“Please! I ask for mercy. At least spare our son if not the both of us. We have done nothing against you. Neither of us is a threat. I love you!” Aayla said.
 
But they were a threat, this Demus knew.
 
Since choosing to fully embrace the Darkside they would only serve to hold him back as he continued to study the teachings of the Sith said, “There is no peace there is only passion, through passion I gain strength, through strength I gain victory, through victory my chains are broken.”
 
These two people represented the last thing that could weaken him or expose him to his future enemies. If left alive they could betray him or be held hostage so they could be used against him. Better to end them now and be done with it, rather than do it later.
 
Demus had studied the teachings of many masters while he was an apprentice, one of them was something Palpatine had said to him, “Those who ask for mercy do not deserve it.”
 
It was a lesson the ancient Sith Lord Darth Bane had handed down to his apprentice and now those words allowed Demus to do what must be done. Igniting his lightsaber he ended their lives in one quick and powerful stroke forever sealing his fate.
 
Demus cringed from the vision barely holding onto his connection to the Force. He did not want this future and sought the second path but it eluded him. Each time he tried to grasp it, that path seemed just out of reach and he let go in frustration and hopelessness.
 
“If she stays with me she will die, her and our child.” Demus said thinking it through as he sought any solution to change this future, for he loved Aayla too much to let that happen.
 
Then suddenly an idea occurred to him as he said it aloud, “The Jedi! Through them she will be kept safe. Aayla is one of their own. Surely they will protect her from such a fate.”
 
His hope renewed he had only to set it in motion.
 
Speaking to the captain of the Malice Demus commanded, “Return to this world with all speed. I am done here.”
 
Finding Aayla sleeping in their bed inside the shelter, he used the Force to make sure she would remain unconscious long after he was gone. Kissing her goodbye he left the shelter walking outside to the landing zone.
 
Donning the mask that hid his presence from other Force users hidden in his cloak, Demus focused his mind searching for another Jedi that might be nearby. It did not take long to find a fleet with a Jedi a number of systems away.
 
Thanks to the mask Demus could easily focus on the Jedi; a small light in the darkness of space and send her the image of Aayla trapped on this world. Already he could sense the Jedi talking the commanding officer of the fleet.
 
Soon they would come for Aayla and take her away from here, but by then he would be long gone. When the transport came he boarded and left Aayla for what he thought was forever.
 
 
Greeting Captain Talas in the hangar Demus said, “Withdraw our forces beyond the Outer Rim. The New Republic and the Jedi are hunting for remnants of the Empire.
 
To survive you must withdraw and rebuild your strength. Only then can you have any hope of challenging them.”
 
This move surprised the captain who asked, “You are not coming with us my lord?”
 
“I would have thought you would be happy to get rid of me.” Demus said curious at this change.
 
Demus could still sense the captain’s fear of him but then he felt something else.
 
“But you are more afraid of losing me.” Demus said.
 
“Reports are coming in from all sectors. It is like you’ve said my lord: we are being overwhelmed. The Empire now requires a strong leader more than ever.
 
If you leave, the less powerful among us will fight amongst each other for the right to rule. In the end none can compare to you, and the empire will become divided and weak.” The captain admitted.
 
“How true, but perhaps I will not be gone forever.” Demus said his eyes becoming distant as if his mind was somewhere else.
 
It lasted only for a moment and then he returned to the present still troubled. For the first time his faith in the Darkside had been shaken.
 
He had lost his ability to see all paths so he could better predict the future. Without these gifts he was at a disadvantage even to the Jedi Council and not just his father.
 
“Prepare my shuttle. I will be leaving alone.” Demus said.
 
Knowing that he could not change the Dark Lord’s mind the captain obeyed hoping he would indeed return. As he had said, like it or not Demus was their best chance at regaining some semblance of the once great Empire.
 
Taking his leave Demus set a course for a place that he had only seen in the ancient texts when he was a young apprentice under Naga Sadow. They spoke of a world cloaked in the Darkside itself far beyond the Outer Rim.
 
There creatures too formidable for even the Jedi to face on the surface still waited. It was a dense jungle world where almost none had returned.
 
In the old times it had been a Sith stronghold. For centuries Sith practitioners had experimented with the power of the Darkside until it grew and flourished among the living organisms, permeating everything.
 
Here a Sith could push themselves to the breaking point, for this world would offer nothing less.
 
 
That night Demus had dream where he saw a vision of his past that had been buried deep in his subconscious. In it he faced a creature small and green dressed in the robes of a Jedi.
 
It was the creature he had seen so many times in his visions: Master Yoda. The dream began like so many of his vision, just before the action started.
 
Igniting his lightsaber Yoda attacked, his movements quick and precise. Like always Demus fell back under the onslaught his confidence stolen by the Jedi Master.
 
No matter how many times they fought Demus could not match the old Jedi. Too strong was he in the Force and his experience seemed limitless.
 
Every attack Demus made the little green alien countered flipping and spinning in and out of reach. While the means of the ending was never the same, the end result never changed: Demus always died.
 
This time in a blur of movement as he sought to charge in counting on his own strength, Yoda easily flipped over him taking his head.
 
Demus awoke just as the lightsaber connected and he felt its burning touch. Sweat covered him as he sat upright in the shuttle’s cot.
Using his hand to wipe it away he seethed with hatred of the old Jedi. Long had he been the bane of his existence in those days, and now he had returned.
 
No matter how powerful Demus became the Yoda was always one step ahead. There was no escape from him.
 
‘Perhaps these old visions provide the key. They suggest that I actually learned something in those vision and they appear too structured to be an accident.
 
Could it be that I was some kind of an experiment? What did they do to me in that capsule?’ Demus thought searching for the answer.
 
Going back to sleep his mind provided him another clue.
 
“Well done Naga. Already you have shown great skill with a lightsaber. If I didn’t know better I would say you had been practicing with one for years.” James Darkblade said.
 
Demus saw himself as the young apprentice in his first day of lightsaber practice. Already he understood how to hold it, but didn’t know why.
 
Each movement was completely natural and fluid, lacking any jerky or cumbersome strikes or blocks. Demus was indeed showing skill far beyond a normal initiate of the Force.
 
Already he was grasping basic forms and his father found he could teach his son more advanced skills. Young Naga could sense his father’s pride in his new apprentice and son.
 
It was a pride that caused Demus to feel even more confident and willing to learn skills that would test his body and mind to its limits, because he was certain he would not fail.
 
Demus’ conscious mind ended the vision bringing him back from sleep as he realized the connection: He had learned those basics in his visions that had formed his existence as a mere clone.
 
Without realizing it in order to get him ready when he woke up, those in charge of the experiment had given him a rare gift: Not only could he analyze and adapt to any perceived pattern, but he could also copy skill he observed.
 
His visions were full experiences where he had accessed the Force against a perceived enemy, each time a new ability was introduced he was able to copy and access it later when needed.
 
The cloners no doubt had wanted to see if they could not only create clones but training them while they did it. If they succeeded they could produce an army that would be ready to fight as soon as they woke up.
 
With such technology anything was possible and the cloners had known it.
 
James Darkblade in his own selfishness not to have his clone be used by his enemies, had in fact eliminated a great threat to the universe or at least lessened it.
 
Demus had no intention of creating an army of clones. At most he might create another like him, so one to carry the traditions of the Sith once he understood how this ability really worked.
 
The planet would provide the perfect testing ground.
 
‘It seems my chances of survival have greatly improved.’ Demus said with a smile.
 
Demus watched as a Karmath relocated his scent. A great beast 9 feet in length it was covered in a thick coat of gray and black fur, which it used to stalk the shadowy undergrowth.
 
An ancient Sith Magician had created the species and in his overconfidence proved to be their first victim. Rising to the top of the food chain the Karmath was the apex predator on this world.
 
Two long horizontal tusks along with razor sharp teeth and claws were counted among its formidable weapons. Even now it smelled he was close but it had no idea just how close.
 
Leaping down on top of it Demus ignited his lightsaber before he struck.
 
The Karmath howled in pain as it suddenly moved to the right so the lightsaber only skinned it. Only luck had kept the blow from causing the creature’s death, even then there was now a large patch of hair missing on one of it forelegs.
 
Bearing its teeth the Karmath growled in anger from its injury. It was surprised yet again when its sudden charge lost it one of its tusks instead of gutting the two-leg.
 
With one swipe of his lightsaber as he sidestepped the attack Demus took its right tusk cutting it in half.
 
The semi-intelligent Karmath immediately realized what had just happened. What it lacked in pure intelligence it made up in animal cunning.
 
For the first time this beast knew fear having never met any other creature that could challenge it. Fear grew in it as it realized that this two-leg was actually dangerous to it.
 
Already it had lost a tusk and been wounded without the two-leg even receiving a scratch in return. In a world where it was kill or be killed, there was no escape for death unless you were delivering it.
 
On some level the Karmath knew that if it didn’t kill this two-leg here and now that one day the two-leg seeing its weakness would kill it. With that in mind it was now or never.
 
Gathering its strength it charged again leaping at the two-leg in a sudden burst of speed.
 
Demus saw the movement predicting it like every other move the Karmath had made. He had watched the creature hunt analyzing its weaknesses.
 
Seeing the charge coming already his body was moving automatically to ensure its own survival. Instinct drove him as he executed a smooth roll bringing his lightsaber to bear.
 
‘This is not the Force but something else. I no longer need some outside power, only myself.
 
On my own I am strong. On my own I am powerful. Not even this creature can stand against me.’ Demus said enjoying the moment as he toyed with the once deadly predator.
 
When he felt the moment had come he acted as if he had slipped opening himself to an attack. Sensing weakness the creature attacked, eager to end this long drawn out battle.
 
At the final moment as he sank to a knee, he burst upwards swinging his lightsaber with all his might in a full arc taking its head. The body of the Karmath sailed over his head barely missing him before crashing into the ground in a shower of dirt.
 
Demus saw it grind to a halt feeling new confidence flowing through him. Raising his lightsaber overhead he gave a primal roar of triumph feeling more free than he had ever had felt.
 
Here there was no responsibility or cryptic purpose. In the struggle to survive one could live from moment to moment.
 
Returning to the shuttle Demus turned off all the systems saving the power in case it was needed. With this done he left the shuttle behind to begin his new life as a jungle creature.
 


Part 2
 
A secret meeting of imperial captains met on the Malice to discuss recent defeats they had suffered against the New Republic.
 
“Infighting has weakened us and the Moffs refuse to acknowledge the obvious.” Talas said.
 
Captain Mellex, who was about the same age as Talas replied, “And what would you have us do? None of us like what is happening but we also lack the power to do anything about it.”
 
“I find the one man who can possibly save us.” Talas said leaning forward on the table sitting across from Mellex.
 
Shocked whispers among the other captains left no doubt who Talas meant.
 
“You can’t be serious.” Mellex said wide eyed.
 
He couldn’t believe his old friend was even considering it.
 
“I have planned for this eventuality since Lord Demus left us. As he left I had my sensors operator extrapolate all possible hyperspace routes and even left a homing beacon on the shuttle for insurance.
 
It can be activated from a remote but it will not last long after so long. By now the ship’s batteries have to be low.” Talas said.
 
After much discussion all of them agreed that they did indeed need the Dark Lord’s help.
 
Setting course after the other captains returned to their own ships he began his search. Using the homing beacon in short intervals so he wouldn’t drift off course he made his way to the world of Demus’ exile.
 
Taking a shuttle with an armed escort of two ties and a troop transport Talas headed down to the planet.
 
While ties scouted ahead, stormtroopers created a perimeter staying close to the ships and their guns.
 
As the sun began to set Talas was getting ready to withdraw to the Malice when a cloaked figure appeared his clothes torn and worn around the edges.
 
Approaching him as the man emerged from the jungle Talas hardly recognized him. Wearing a full beard and caked in dirt he seemed to belong to the jungle.
 
Gone was the Force driven aura which had surrounded only to be replaced by something more primal. Now even his stare could chill one to the bone.
 
Saluting him Talas showed the old stoic professionalism. No matter what his old master looked like, Talas would stay professional and do his duty.
 
Returning to the Malice Demus was cleaned up and given new clothes. Captain Talas found him in his room meditating.
 
It had been sometime since Demus had reconnected to the Force and was worried that he was rusty. He had never realized how easily it all came back.
 
It was almost as if the Darkside had been waiting for him to open the door. The cold chill of its presence enveloped him sinking into his very bones. A lesser man would have drawn away from it, but that would be merely a sign of weakness.
 
Demus had found comfort the sensation in times past. As long as he had felt its power he had felt strong and safe, but that was the problem: He had not been safe. Steered like a puppet on its strings he had been blind to all possibilities.
 
Already it whispered to him promising him untold power. Its voice was seductive and thrilling. It took a great deal of self control not to listen.
 
Demus was no fool. Without the information he needed he was vulnerable.
 
Anger filled him directed at the Darkside itself.
 
‘You have failed me once already. No longer will I be the servant, but a true master. While I have use for you, that usefulness is limited by how much I trust you. It is a trust you will have to re-earn, until then don’t get comfortable.’ Demus said inside his head.
 
Chastened by his words it quieted but still remained.
 
While aware of Talas entering the room he ignored him for the moment stretching out to the far corners of the galaxy sensing for trouble spots. Already the Empire was destabilizing without a strong leader to rule them.
 
The Moffs were power hungry and foolish. Each were easy to find and tactically vulnerable. Demus had to hide a smile at the easiness of it all.
 
Finally acknowledging Captain Talas Demus turned to look at him.
 
“Yes?” Demus said his voice calm and collected.
“What are your orders my lord?” Talas asked standing at attention.
 
Rising off the floor Demus stood his dark presence filling the room. For Talas the man seemed even more dangerous and powerful than when they had first met.
 
Demus could sense his fear without any effort as it surrounded the older man.
 
“It seems none have risen to fill the power vacuum that was created while I was gone. I would have thought I would have at least one challenger.
 
Such weakness is only an invitation for the rebels to attack. We should end that opportunity quickly, but first kneel before me Captain. I would reward you for your loyalty.” Demus said.
 
Without question Talas knelt before the Dark Lord fear causing sweat to form all over his body. He was unaccustomed to Demus rewarding anyone and was unsure how to deal with it all.
 
As he drew near to the man every fiber of his being told him to run, but Talas forced himself to do as the Sith Lord said.
 
Talas felt the Darth Demus’ icy touch as hand was place on the top of his head. His body shivered as the sensation quickly coursed through his body, spreading to every corner.
 
When Demus removed his hand Talas spilled forward onto the floor feeling the power of the Darkside within him.
 
After a moment he heard Demus say, “Rise, my young apprentice. Today you will receive your first lesson. I expect you to pay attention.”
 
“Yes my master.” Talas said rising as his master headed towards the door.
 
Following him they made there way to the bridge.
 
“Set course for these coordinates.” Demus said entering them one of the stations.
 
“But my lord, that will bring us within orbit of one of the Imperial Moff’s main strongholds.” A sensor operator said double checking them.
 
“An acceptable risk, given the fact that surprise will be on our side. Carry out my orders, and make sure our gunners lock onto the main palace once we jump in. I expect them to fire without hesitation.” Demus said.
 
“Of course sir.” Talas said further encouraging the crew not to argue.
 
Jumping into hyperspace they made their way to the planet in question.
While in transit Demus said, “First you must come to understand the true nature of power. It is obvious these greedy men have never learned it. It is knowledge.
 
Both the strong and weak are ruled by it, but the truth test of strength is knowing how to obtain it and use it. Now witness how insignificant men meet their end against a true master.”
 
Demus smile was smooth and heartless.
 
As they exited hyperspace he gave the order to fire. The turbolasers of the Star Destroyer leveled the Moff’s Palace killing all that lay inside it.
 
“Set coordinates for the main stronghold of the nearest Moff and jump again when we are ready.” Demus said his dark cloak sweeping in his wake as he left.
 
Talas checked the sensors to confirm his suspicions. What he saw impressed him deeply.
 
The Moff’s fleet while massive was arrayed far away to take on an entire fleet. No one had ever considered one ship could deliver such a devastating blow on its own so quickly.
 
While they rushed back to the planet Talas knew they would never arrive in time to catch them. Taking it all in Talas realized the beauty and simplicity of his master’s plan.
 
The Moffs’ isolation would prove their undoing. If they had agreed to work together, they could warn each other and escape their own destruction. Soon their forces would be intact and without strong leadership. In the confusion Demus would scoop them up and re-forge them into a great empire.
 


 
Part 3
 
 
 
In the wake of Master Darkblade’s departure the Jedi Council began a period of adjustment. As an important voice, his decisions and advice had proven invaluable over the years.
 
Now without him the Jedi were having more trouble keeping an eye on their numerous enemies. Other changes had included a shift by some members of the council to a more traditional view.
 
Without James to push modernization it was inevitable. The first casualty was Aayla Secura. Some of the master’s had begun to question who the father of her child was but Aayla had not answered.
 
Her child was a mix of Twi’lek and Human features matching her skin color. His power in the Force was indeed powerful suggesting a lineage far beyond what Aayla alone could offer.
 
It had long been suspected that Darth Demus himself might be the father, and if that was true her Aayla’s loyalties were considered compromised.
 
 
 
Stripped of her former rank and position Aayla escaped, taking her child with her. The Jedi lost all track of her as she headed towards an outer rim system. While in transit on a passenger transport her ship came under attack from pirates and was captured.
 
Demus was in his personal chamber, a very Spartan looking room meditating. As his mind searched the cosmos he heard Aayla’s cry for help.
 
Focusing in on it his mind tried to locate her among the stars. Images of a pirate attack and Aayla holding their son close as the transport’s shields fell.
 
Breaking his meditation Darth Demus quickly rose his feet and hurried from the room. Propelled by purpose and the Force he became a blur of speed. Heading to the nearest docking bay he boarded his personal transport, and had taken off using his personal codes to override the normal launch sequence.
 
Grand Admiral Talas saw a Lambda Class shuttle take off and sensed that his master was on board. Keying in communications he tried to contact him.
 
“My lord where are you going?” Talas asked but only silence came back.
 
Looking at the sensors officer Talas said, “Track him and signal the fleet.”
 
Talas knew something was wrong: he could feel it. He never had seen his master act like this before.
 
On a dark night two human guards stood on the battlements of a hidden fortress, carved into the mountains itself. None of them expected an attack since no enemy knew of this place.
 
The guards had their backs turned to the jungles below even as a lone figure approached. Scaling the mountain face itself the figure made his way upward at a speedy pace. Once he reached the top he kept to the shadows blending in like some wild predator, stalking his prey.
 
 
While the guards drank and talked merely, he crept up behind. Only the sudden his of the lightsaber and a red glow warned them of his presence. By then it was far too late. With two sweeping arcs of the red blade he cut them down, without a whisper from either of them.
 
With a burst of speed he was gone moving like a killing wind: too swift to be seen but leaving destruction in his wake. The bodies of many would litter the ground tonight as he searched for his love.
 
Launching himself up a flight of stairs he made his way to her. Moving down a long hallway carved into the rock he saw a door at the far end but sensed something that brought dread to his heart.
 
 
Hurrying towards it he grasped the wood of the door itself and ripped it from its hinges. Tossing it aside he saw the body of his son lying before the dieing form of Aayla Secura.
 
Bruised and beaten, her body was broken. Each breath brought only pain and the promise of still more the longer she thrived.
 
Opening her eyes she saw Demus and smiled.
 
“You came. I knew you would.” Aayla said reaching for him with both arms.
 
Dousing his lightsaber Demus put it away before kneeling beside her.
 
“I’m sorry I couldn’t be here earlier, and save you and our son.” Demus said a feeling of despair overwhelming him.
 
He couldn’t heal her enough that she might live. Aayla was too far gone and the damage too extensive.
 
“You came when others did not. I thought I was alone. Then I felt you and reached out for you and you came to my rescue. I couldn’t protect him.
 
They forbade me from training and took my lightsaber. I wasn’t strong enough to help him. His name was Elcan” Aayla said as they looked on the body of their son.
 
He had been a handsome boy, that much Demus could see before they had shot him.
 
Demus kept his anger in check at that moment. There would be other times to let it flow through him. For now he merely stayed with Aayla in her last moments, holding her close.
 
Kissing her lips he saw her close her eyes for the last time and she was gone. Laying her down he heard the sound of his comlink beeping.
 
Taking it out he turned it on saying, “Yes Talas?”
 
“My lord we are in orbit. Pirate ships are attempting to take off and escape. Hat are your orders.” Talas said.
 
“Kill them all and take no prisoners. Do not let one ship escape or I’ll deal with you myself!” Demus said letting a little bit of his anger show.
 
“Yes my lord.” Talas replied.
 
The skies overhead lit up as the space battle began in orbit. By the time Demus had returned to his Star Destroyer the battle was over and the pirate fleet lay in ruins.
 
Disembarking from the shuttle he was met by Talas himself.
 
“Gather all out ships into a single fleet. I intend to end the stalemate between us and the rebels. It is time to deliver a great blow to the Jedi Order. No longer will I wait.” Demus said the hood of his cloak hiding his eyes and much of his face.
 
“But master, the Jedi are spread throughout the galaxy. Attacking a single temple will only hurt them temporarily.” Talas said.
 
“Not if we lure the most powerful of them out. An attack on Coruscant will ensure this. The Jedi cannot afford to see the capital of their New Republic fall.
 
We will mount a surprise attack and catch them off balance. I am certain they will send their best especially when I announce myself.” Demus said.
 
 
 
 
 
When the distress call went out, three members of the Jedi Council accompanied the Republic fleet that came to Coruscant’s aid. Watching the flashes of ship to ship fire as massive cruisers and fighters engaged each other, Obi Wan Kenobi tried to locate the leader of the enemy fleet.
 
A dark presence could be felt somewhere below along with a great tremor in the Force: Hundreds of Jedi were dieing in the Jedi Temple. 
 
Anakin had asked to come with Obi Wan and help him.
 
“Don’t go Obi Wan. I sense a dark presence there. Something waits for you, and it’s setting a trap. I see a cloaked figure with a red blade and the Dark Side surrounds him.
 
He means to kill you all. If you go you will be playing into his hand.” Anakin said worried about his friend.
 
“Don’t worry Anakin. Master Windu and Master Yoda will be leading the assault. With them commanding the fleet and our troops, we will soon retake Coruscant.
 
Do not give in to fear. You are a master now as well as a member of the Council. While we are gone others will look to you for strength. I have no doubt you will not disappoint me.” Obi Wan replied laying a comforting hand on Anakin’s shoulder.
 
Seeing that he could not change Obi Wan’s mind Anakin said, “As you wish my old master but promise me you will be careful.”
 
Obi Wan promised and Anakin saw him off before returning home to Naboo to be with his wife and their children.
 
Obi Wan’s parting words had been, “When I return I will help you celebrate Luke and Leia’s birthday. I understand it will be coming up soon. Have a safe a safe journey Anakin.”
 
Now as he sensed the dark presence below his thoughts dwelled on Anakin’s warning. What lay below on the surface? Was the cloaked figure truly there, and if so how dangerous was he?
 
The New Republic fleet managed to punch a temporary hole in the Imperial line and troop transports with their fighter escort made it through. Speeding towards the planet they were bombarded by fire from enemy fighters and the ground defenses.
 
Already Demus had moved in new turbolasers to replace the ones he had destroyed when he had taken the planet. Master Windu and Yoda would retake the government buildings and the rest of the city, while Obi Wan would head towards the temple to help whatever Jedi might have survived the massacre.
 
As the ship approached he could already see the smoking ruins from his seat behind the pilot and copilot. As the ship landed he moved to join the New Republic troops; many of whom were part of the former clone army.
 
Hard and loyal fighters they had still been included in the army after the death of Palpatine. Now they were ready to prove their worth yet again wearing a camouflage army that the other troops did. The rest of the army was made up of soldiers from different worlds and species. As they made their way out fire from the clone’s Imperial brethren in their distinguishing white armor.
 
Blaster bolts flooded the air striking troopers on both sides. The attackers without the advantage of cover were falling victim to crossfire and Obi Wan led a brave charge that brought them over the last bridge leading to the temple.
 
In close quarters both sides fought bravely and many more died littering the very ground. By the end they had been locked in hand to hand fighting with the Republic forces chasing after the retreating Imperials.
 
It had been a hard fought victory as the Republic’s forces were barely enough to defend the outside of the temple. Obi Wan would have only a small bodyguard accompanying him inside instead of a full squad.
 
What he saw was only more carnage. Many of the Jedi bodies had evidence of blaster fire but a large number carried the marks of a lightsaber.
 
Young and old had been slaughtered. The enemy had not taken any prisoners.
 
Obi Wan could only feel anguish as he saw the bodies of younglings among the dead.
 
“Who could have done such a thing?” Obi Wan said aloud looking at them.
 
‘I did Master Kenobi. I have been waiting for you. Come to the hangar bay and come alone. You wouldn’t want your troopers to die along with you.
 
We will settle this between the two of us. You can have your revenge for those you lost. I’m sure at least a few faces among the dead are familiar.’ Demus said his mind touching Obi Wan’s.
 
Indeed there were. Some of the dead were Jedi he had remembered seeing Yoda training the day he had come to him to help find Kumino. Without Yoda he would never learned of the creation of a clone army and history might have been different.
 
‘Yes I can see your memories. Some of them begged for mercy in the end. Would you like to hear their dying screams?’ Demus said his mental voice interrupting Kenobi’s thoughts.
 
The cries of the former younglings could be heard and they seemed so real. Kenobi could feel their fear in their last moments.
 
‘All lies! You mean to trick me in to turning to the Dark Side.’ Kenobi thought barely keeping his anger in check.
 
Taking a breath he embraced the Unifying Force letting his anger slip away.
 
‘Impressive Jedi. As a reward I will make your death quick unlike some of the others. Not all those screams were lies. I’ll let you guess which ones they were.’ Demus said.
 
Cold laughter filled Kenobi’s heart with an icy chill, and Obi Wan suddenly knew who it was that he faced.
 
‘Demus!’ Kenobi thought with a gasp.
 
‘Yes, I survived the death of my master. It was not by your hands but mine that he met his end. Poor fool, you should have seen the look of shock on his face when I killed him. So pitiful.’ Demus said.
 
For the first time Kenobi hesitated. Now Anakin’s vision seemed all too clear. If Demus had killed his old master he might be powerful indeed.
 
Kenobi was no fool and knew his limits. If it came down to it he had little hope if Demus wasn’t lying, and something told the Jedi Master that the Sith Lord wasn’t.
 
Sensing his hesitation Demus gave him an incentive.
 
‘Come Kenobi or I will order in reinforcements. Your men outside will not last long even under cover. Face me and you may spare their lives.’ Demus said.
 
Telling his troopers to wait outside Kenobi continued on to the hangar. As he walked he saw more and more bodies and evidence of blaster fire, as the walls and pillars themselves were scorched by them.
 
‘Why do this?’ Kenobi said sensing Demus’ rage, which was deep and personal.
 
‘I love Aayla Secura. I sent her to you to protect her and my son. If she stayed with me Aayla and my child would have died, I knew this.
 
You were suppose to protect her and stand by her. She was one of your own and you betrayed her, you and all your Order. You speak of your morality and compassion but in the end you are worse than me.
 
I do not pretend to be anything other than what I am. You could have been strong but instead you choose to defend the weak halting the natural order.
 
You send thousands of Jedi to protect those who would turn against you given a chance, and for what? If I could I would wipe every trace of the Jedi away and make you extinct, but that is not the nature of the Force.
 
Oh yes Jedi, I understand its true nature. Even if I kill the last of you or you kill me another will rise. One cannot exist without the other, just as the light cannot exist without the darkness and vice versa.
 
I am more dangerous than all the Sith that came before me because I realize that truth. No I will not try to wipe you out. To even attempt such a feat is futile. Instead I will take the wisest and strongest of you.
 
With each of your death’s your precious Jedi Order will be weakened. All the unique knowledge and skill you possess will never fully be passed on. That part will die with you.
 
Once the three of you are gone, my revenge will be complete and my anger will fade. You now stand in my path to ultimate power and I will destroy you without hesitation.’ Demus said.  
 


Part 4
 
 
 
 
 
As the blast door slid open with an audible hiss Obi Wan saw Demus at the far side of the hangar bay. Ships and planetary transports were spread out on either side of the hangar. 
 
Igniting his lightsaber Obi Wan entered removing his Jedi robe and tossing it aside. Looking at the Dark Lord he couldn’t help but see James’ face but it was different somehow.
 
While James’ features had possessed a certain gentleness and peace Demus’ features reflected none of these things. Even as Demus ignited his own lightsaber the movement was quick and efficient compared to the hesitation of James.
 
While James Darkblade had been a great warrior he had often tried to diffuse the situation before it came to fighting. More often than not he was reluctant to attack even if he had to.
 
Wiser enemies never forced him because they knew he could finish them easily once he made his decision. Looking at James’ son the two men seemed worlds apart.
 
Obi Wan could not help but wonder what James would have been like if he too had stayed a Sith. Feeling the power of the Dark Lord of the Sith he had difficulty not trembling.
 
Never before had he felt such a presence. The Dark Side surrounded this man and fed him freely. The two were as one.
 
Demus smiled saying, “At last we meet, my father’s old friend. I have seen you two in many visions: laughing and talking. If I held anything against him I would it was a pity that he cannot feel your death, now that he is so far away.
 
Of all the Jedi I have ever come across, he alone is worthy of my full respect. Like me I am certain he too understands the true nature of the Force, and how to use it. Sadly we are on different sides he and I, but perhaps that will change.”
 
Shaking his head Obi Wan said, “No it never will. James is a good man. He fights the darkness within him, and never gives in.
 
He is better man than you: kind and generous. You too are nothing alike outside your physical similarities.”
 
Chuckling Demus doused his lightsaber, showing his confidence as he removed his cloak tossing the piece of clothing aside.
 
“You are wrong Jedi. We are more alike than you think. You forget he taught me and raised me. I was not only his apprentice but also his son.
 
He helped mold me into what I am. I am his killing instrument. Perhaps one day I will surpass him but either way it won’t help you.”
 
Demus’ attack was sudden and unexpected as he cloaked his intentions in the Force. Obi Wan barely managed to block the first stroke but was soon driven back.
 
Backpedaling he was forced to give a lot of ground, as he twisted and dodged trying to avoid Demus’ blade. Seemingly simple movements by the Dark Lord proved far more deadly than Obi Wan had given him credit for.
 
Each time he avoided a strike it was a near miss. Burn marks on his beard and clothing attested to how close some of them had come.
 
The smell of his own burnt hair and sweat filled Obi Wan’s nostrils. As the fight went on he was becoming more and more tired while Demus didn’t seem wounded.
 
Demus’ style was too adaptable striking at angles Obi Wan couldn’t hope to match. Obi didn’t even have the opportunity to counter attack. All of his effort was used up on just surviving.
 
Obi Wan was surprised when it was Demus who broke contact spinning clear. His breathing ragged Obi Wan’s lungs tried desperately to suck in air.
 
“I must admit again you impress me. But this has gone on far enough. Time to die.” Demus said.
 
Attacking once again he attacked seeming to come straight in. Obi Wan with his waning strength mustered all his strength into one strike hoping to impale him on the blade. While he would probably die too he felt his only hope was to take Demus with him.
 
Using perfect time Demus dodged neatly inside with unbelievable speed thrusting his blade outward towards Obi Wan’s arm.
 
Obi Wan thought that he had missed until he suddenly lost his arm and felt the blade enter his chest. As he stood there dying his mind replayed the entire attack.
 
Too late he saw that it had all been a setup. By extending his arm Obi Wan had provided the first target exposing it. When Demus came inside he had acted like he would stab the arm so Obi Wan had let down his guard on that end, preparing to force push him away.
 
Once Demus’ blade had cleared Kenobi’s arm, he twisted at the wrist inward slicing through and thrusting into Obi Wan’s chest.
 
Grabbing Obi Wan by the back of the head Demus used it to thrust the blade in farther. Obi Wan gasped in pain as Demus watched the life leave his eyes.
 
Jerking the blade free he let Kenobi’s corpse fall.
 
“Far too easy. I imagine the others will provide more of a challenge.” Demus said.
 


Part 5
 
 
Things were going as well as it could be expected for Master Windu and Yoda at first. While their troops had suffered casualties, they were retaking Coruscant inch by inch.
 
“In a matter of hours we should be at the Senate building. It’s hard work but we are making headway.” Windu said.
 
Nodding in agreement Yoda said, “Wondering am I how Master Kenobi is carrying on.”
 
“He should have reported in by now.” Mace admitted.
 
Reaching out through the Force he tried to find Obi Wan, but a dark fog clouded his senses.
 
 
“Feel that do you?” Yoda asked looking at his comrade.
 
“Yes it reminds me of the dark shroud Sidious used against us, but who could it be. Sidious is dead and his apprentice has not been seen in sometime.” Windu said his eyes scanning their surroundings wary of what might be out there.
 
“Returned perhaps he has. Bode well for us it does not.” Yoda replied also looking around.
 
Sudden movement to the left on one of the other platforms caused Windu to focus on it, when he did his danger sense went off.
 
“Down!” Windu said diving for the ground.
 
Yoda and a few others who had heard him followed suit. Those that didn’t were quickly cut down in massive continuous crossfire. Republic troops fell suffering multiple hits from precise blaster fire.
 
Through the milling confusion Windu saw new troops wearing Heavy Mandolorian combat armor moving in. Only Yoda and Windu were able to make a run for it, as the Mandalorians focused their fire hitting even prone Republic troops.
 
Some of them made it to their feet, but none made it more than a few steps. Even clone troops hadn’t been that precise. It was like a nightmare no one could have ever predicted.
 
Where had these reinforcements come from? What was more how had Demus found them?
 
The Mandalorians were supposed to be practically extinct, and hadn’t been seen in some time.
 
Wherever they had come from they had turned the tied of battle as thousands of them joined the fray. The Republic troops had never faced anything like them.
 
The Mandalorians were expert marksmen and well organized, as well as better equipped. Within minutes the Republic lines crumbled and it became a ragged retreat. Some Republic troops broke and run terror overcoming them.
 
Both Jedi Masters knew that part of that fear was being enhanced by some outside force and Yoda suspected that Demus was in command.
 
‘How do you like my little surprise Masters?” Demus said taunting them.
 
“Demus?” Windu said aloud looking for him because the voice sounded so close.
 
‘I am pleased you still remember me. Master Obi Wan has already paid me a visit, though must admit I was not an ideal host. Perhaps you would like to join him?’ Demus said.
 
A vision of Obi Wan in his last moments filled both their minds.
 
‘There is no escape. Come and face your destiny. Aayla’s death requires justice and you too will pay for your betrayal. I will be waiting in the Jedi Temple.’ Demus said showing them where in it he was.  
 
As if he was protecting them harm they noticed no more Mandalorians within sight as they headed toward the Jedi temple.
 
Finding Obi Wan’s still loyal troops dig in outside they headed past them telling them to remain. At the moment the temple seemed the safest place. Even on the way they had heard Republic troops dieing whenever they tried to fight the Mandalorians.
 
Heading in they found Demus in the hangar bay. Looking at the still form of Obi Wan Windu and Yoda felt a deep sadness at his loss. Windu had led the way in with Yoda behind.
 
“Don’t worry you will be joining him soon becoming one with the Force. I am aware of your teachings.” Demus said.
 
“If aware of them you are then the truth is also known.” Yoda said flanking his friend.
 
“And what truth is that little master? Do you actually believe that the two of you can beat me? You’ll die just as Kenobi did.” Demus said.
 
 
 
Part 6
 
 
Ignited his lightsaber Demus charged with a roar, rage filling him. Racing to meet him Windu took him head on while Yoda tried to take him from the left. Demus saw Windu’s sudden strike and what they expected.
 
Leaping into the air he twisted his body sideways so he spun over the glowing purple blade. In mid air he used a force push like a handstand to land on his feet.
 
Facing the two Jedi he took on a defensive stance. Immediately the two Jedi Masters went on the attack forcing him back.
 
An aura of fear surrounded him and the Jedi sensed his doubt under their onslaught. Taking encouragement from this they kept up the hard pace.
 
Demus gave ground quickly, forcing them to pursue him as he used the ships and transports as obstacles. Leaping from one to the next in no particular pattern he separated them.
 
Only Yoda could match his speed leaving Windu trailing behind as he tried to keep up. When there was enough separation between the two Demus leapt to the ground as if he was going to head for a ship across the bay.
 
Moving quickly to catch up and end the tiring chase Yoda rushed after him. At the last second Demus stopped without warning launching a kick at Yoda’s head. The false aura had fooled the old Jedi, and the spinning back kick caught him in the forehead, knocking him away.
 
Demus unlike the Jedi was still powerful and strong. The Darkside filled him with all the power he needed to replenish his energy and keep a quick pace while still remain fresh.
 
As Yoda came crashing to the ground a few feet away unconscious, Demus turned his attention to Windu who had just caught up.
 
Pressing his advantage Demus was determined not to give up the opportunity. Copying Yoda’s spinning style Demus used it to force Mace to defend more than usual. His attacks were fast and carefully planned to tire his opponent.
 
A single move would not finish Master Windu right away, so he had to be worn down. Fighting a skilled opponent did have its disadvantages but Demus stilled was tempted to smile.
 
He had always enjoyed overcoming challenges: It made one feel powerful and strong. Master Windu was proving to be a pleasant diversion before Yoda woke up. Feeling out his defenses from back to front Demus at last found a weakness.
 
Exhausted from all the physical activity Master Windu’s movements were slower and he began to lose focus. Now was the time for Demus to make his move.
 
Using one spinning slash to Windu’s front Demus he continued to rotate spinning towards Mace’s back. Expecting the attack Mace moved to block and get ready to counterattack.
 
Demus surprised him by using the force to spin him as he crouched down. With lightning speed he sliced through the back of the Jedi Master’s legs.
 
Windu came crashing down missing everything below mid thigh. His lightsaber went skittering across the floor out of reach. A mixture of shock and pain filled him leaving Mace defenseless.
 
Before he could recover a lightsaber pierced his chest killing him.
 
Yoda opened his eyes in time to seem Mace die. Laughing Demus pulled out his lightsaber rising from his crouch.
 
“At last we alone you and I. You don’t know how long I have waited for this moment.” Demus said twirling his lightsaber idly.
 
Each movement was artful and precise creating intricate patterns in the air. With each pass it hummed making an unmistakable sound.
 
“You hatred of me, before Aayla it began.” Yoda said sensing the depth of it for the first time.
 
“Yes, since my first conscious moment you have haunted me. The Emperor thought by facing you I would become truly exceptional, but I will tell you a secret: I learned to hate the both of you.
 
Even if he had not been weak in the end, that alone would have sealed his fate. For what seemed like an eternity I fought you again and again. I always lost no matter how hard I tried.
 
Without each loss I would have stopped learning I suppose. That was his plan. Part of the reason I created this place I had hoped to face you at long.
 
I would have never admitted it openly but it’s true. Killing you is an itch I have never been able to scratch. My father I can accept as my equal. He too was a Dark Lord and I am his successor whether he likes it or not.
 
You on the other hand are none of these things. You very presence, your continued existence holds me back.
 
As long as you continued to breathe I will always wonder. Aayla merely made me face my destiny.
 
I could have killed you years ago but I was afraid. Some part of me was unsure of myself. The memory of my numerous defeats at your hands, were fresh in my memory.
 
But now I am stronger than ever before. Revenge it seems has brought me back to my true path, she was all that saved you.” Demus said eyeing Yoda as he circled him far out of reach.
 
“Hated to suffering it leads.” Yoda said holding his lightsaber but it was turned off.
 
“You forget old one, I am not a Jedi but a Sith. I do not share your beliefs.
 
Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through Passion, I gain strength. Through Strength, I gain power. Through Power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall set me free.
 
This is the Code of the Sith. A code I have dedicated my life to. You, my old enemy are my last chain great chain. When this is over I will be free.” Demus said.
 
There was no way out of this. For Demus there was no backing down, and for Yoda victory was his only hope for survival.
 
“Then begin we should.” Yoda said lighting his saber and readying himself.
 
“Yes we should.” Demus said.
 


Part 7
 
 
Moving closer Demus continued twirling his lightsaber as if challenging Yoda to attack first. The trouble was Yoda had no intention of fighting on Demus’ terms.
 
Summoning the Force Yoda aimed a force push at Demus with enough force to knock him across the room. Demus sensing it coming merely sidestepped using a slice of the hand to deflect it to the side.
 
Using the opening Yoda put some distance between them. Leaping on top of one transport he saw a lift that would take him to rafters above. Using the hydraulic lift he went past a few ships parked on higher platforms as it rose.
 
Demus immediately followed leaping from ship to ship making his way up. Weaving himself a diagonal path it was slower but he made it to the top.
 
Switching on the lightsaber Demus noticed that Yoda still didn’t attack.
 
“If you believe that this slim metal beam will save you, I look forward to showing you just how wrong you truly are.” Demus said going on the attack.
 
While Yoda’s smaller form allowed him to stand on two feet just barely while advancing, Demus was forced to stay on one. In a surprise move he used a spinning attack to advance.
 
His balance perfect he attacked and defended as he closed with Master Yoda. As Yoda was forced back step by step it became clear that Demus could still beat him.
 
Adapting to the situation Yoda directed another force push not directly at Demus but at his feet. Quickly leaping into the air Demus managed to avoid the force push flipped into midair.
 
Sensing Yoda following him down Demus called Mace’s lightsaber to his hand. Yoda had hoped to use his small size and speed to turn the tide in his favor.
 
It was good plan Demus had to admit, but he was well aware of it. Hitting the ground first Demus didn’t wait for Demus to attack him.
 
Instead he leapt into the air to meet him. Using one saber to strike high the second one was aimed much lower.
 
Yoda managed to blow the higher strike but was unable to stop the second from slicing through his right foot.
 
Controlling his pain Yoda managed to use the Force to slow his fall so it wasn’t fatal when he hit the ground. The jarring from impact however sharpened the pain at the stump.
 
His body ached all over when Demus leapt on him stabbing him with both blades, it ended his pain.
 
Rising Demus looked at the body of his fallen enemy.
 
“At long last I am rid of you.” Demus said.
 
Taking Yoda’s lightsaber as well as Obi Wan’s he kept them as trophies. Yoda’s would be his most prized among them.
 
Holding the small lightsaber in his hand he studied it for a moment. For being so small Yoda had indeed been a powerful adversary.
 
If it had not been for those years of battling him, and Demus’ recent increase in skill, he would have been the one laying there cold and lifeless.
 
Demus was no fool despite his confidence in himself. He knew for certain at that moment that survival depended on a constant struggle to gain more power. If you stopped you allowed your own defeat.
 
One should never assume they were invincible for that was folly. It was a hard lesson, but an important one.
 
Leaving the hangar he made his way to the main entrance where his Mandalorians had the rebel troops under guard.
 
The Commander of the Mandalorians approached wearing full armor, his face hidden behind his helmet. Demus looked over his warriors proud of his genetic manipulation that had brought them about.
 
Perhaps Dirlin Qual himself would have found a certain pride in learning that he was the father of thousands. Each warrior was not a clone, but a sentient created off of his template.
 
Proud warriors, they had proven their worth against Demus’ enemies in the Empire, and now again fighting the rebels. 
 
“Who among you served under Obi Wan Kenobi?” Demus said looking around at the prisoners.
 
Some of the rebels rose unsure of what he had planned but refused to hide.
 
“My lord we only have room for a few prisoners. Most of our transports are filled to capacity.” Bralor said.
 
This attack was an extended hit and run. Now that the trap had worked Demus’ forces had to leave before the rebels returned with more military support. None of his troops would be left behind to guard the rebel prisoners.
 
Bralor never mentioned something without being asked unless it was very important so Demus listened.
 
“So be it, find room for Kenobi’s troops.” Demus said beginning to turn to walk away.
 
“And the rest my lord?” Bralor asked.
 
Turning around he looked over the rest of the rebels, perhaps a hundred in number. There would be thousands more that had also been captured. It was standard to take prisoners that surrendered.
 
“Have Kenobi’s people escorted to the ships, and kill the rest.” Demus said walking away.
 
Surrounded and ushered off Kenobi’s men would survive in the knowledge that they alone would be spared. The rest could only beg for mercy, or die with quiet dignity as the Mandalorians raised their weapons and shot them.
 
In the end, there were only the dieing cries of rebel troopers and blaster fire.
 
 
 
 
 
The End
 
 
 
 


Epilogue
 
 
 
In a secret underground facility there was a room full of sparti cylinders holding not clone but another experiment. The Mandalorians had been the prototypes to this little project, and Demus had perfected the process through them.
 
The young beings inside the cylinders were his offspring and were made up of a random genetic sampling of his and Aayla’s DNA. Like Demus each was receiving training from a subconscious program made to interact with their dreams
 
In the program he taught each separately with a standardized program, and most reacted relatively the same. Demus had a hunch that one of them would react much differently than the others; Demus wanted only the strongest, the rest could remain here in this universe.
 
It required patience to wait and watch. Even during his time away when he attacked Coruscant part of him monitored them.
 
Wisps of consciousness would draw his attention hinting that something was stirring. Hurrying back from Coruscant he allowed Talas to accompany him this time.
 
Demus had always come here alone. The techs and doctors who had setup the automated system that took care of them were long gone.
 
Demus himself normally checked in on them, when he wasn’t forced to leave to deal with Imperial business.
 
The stirring sensed as they came into orbit of the strange barren world made him hurry. When the shuttle landed Demus headed immediately to a small metal structure that contained a hidden lift to the lab far below.
 
Talas barely keeping up with Demus was surprised by the level of secrecy. Whatever lay below was very important to his master, that much was clear.
 
Entering the lift they stood inside as the enclosed lift zoomed down to the lab. He could sense his master’s growing impatience.
 
The last time he had felt anything like this something was terribly wrong.
 
Stepping out of the lift Demus headed across the narrow metallic hall opening a door.
 
Inside glass shards covered the floor along with dozens of bodies. Talas saw their resemblance to his master and understood now why his master had kept this place secret.
 
On the far side of the two survivors stood: one wounded at the shoulder with a glass shard imbedded there and the other picking himself of the ground. The wounded one had blue skin like Demus’ dead son and was almost a true clone of the original.
 
Both had black hair but the second looked relatively human, except in the eyes. The young child’s eyes were the color of charcoal and his heart was equally as black.
 
As his eyes passed over Talas the Grand Admiral visibly flinched as looked into the eyes of pure evil.
 
The wounded son struck hard and fast sending a force push into his brother and smash him into the far wall. Picking up a shard of glass he leapt on his fallen sibling trying to stab him.
 
They struggled and fought with the black eyed one shoving him off using his legs. In fight for survival the bottom one had cut his hands on the glass weapon.
 
The first one hit the ground and quickly came to his feet. Before he attacked again Demus raised a hand, and shot bolts of electricity from each of his fingers between the two boys.
 
“Enough.” Demus said as calm as can be.
 
He found this to be an interesting surprise. Demus had only expected to find one that would be stronger than the others. Not only did he see two survivors, but they were the only survivors.
 
Images of Kail who was the black eyed one mercilessly killing the rest of his brothers while they were helpless was still present in Demus’ mind. Each of them had been impaled with small shards of glass; most from their own capsules.
 
Nijel had awoken in time to deflect the most dangerous of the shards with only one getting through as a bunch tried to hit him at once.
 
 The fact that Nijel was the one who had survived the attack was a welcome surprise, though Demus would never have admitted it openly.
 
Nijel was almost the mirror image of his dead son with only minor differences. Demus had named each of the subjects but these two had felt different in the beginning. He had never been able to explain why.
 
Motioning for them to approach Demus eyed his two sons a small smile creeping over his face.
 
“More than I could have hoped for.” Demus said.
 
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/cylisd/yoda.jpg
 

© 2008 Cylis Derrens


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

wow! great job! a few little things need fixed(words and letters missing) nothing big.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Great job. Are you gonna add the Star Wars choices?

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

224 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 16, 2008
Last Updated on March 22, 2008

Author

Cylis Derrens
Cylis Derrens

About
I am 26 years old and was born in San Diego California. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..