Hope

Hope

A Poem by Chris Zahar
"

"...we also rejoice in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope." Romans 5:3

"

 

Somewhere they’re lurking,

beyond the perception of mystics,

or right under their noses.

I forget the difference. 

 

Their imprints,

waking us to the night’s mocking silence.

Sending our eyes darting

back and forth,

back and forth,

looking like mad

for that four letter word 

 

- Hope -

 

As useless as poetry;

half as bland.

Able to conjure up specters,

long enough to forget,

they’re gone forever.

© 2008 Chris Zahar


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the mood your conjour up in this one. The poem is very artful with a twist of drama to taste. 'i foget the difference' is just a great line from the dramtic point of view as it is so engageing being full of weary indifference...it is a line you can immediately hear. And it has a stoical philosopy of its own about it. Also like the 'mocking silence' which is loud and clear. Anyone who's woken in a panic will know it. But the eyes darting around is the best bit as it is so active and the motion speaks of panic, fear, desperation. 'As useless as poetry' made me smile, but has truth in its core. I think this one would perform really well.

Posted 15 Years Ago


I've read this a few times and come away with a diff. perception each time... the first stanza trips me up, as does the last...not that the meaning doesn't come across to me as we are all looking for hope or keeping hope in our sites or forgetting that there is hope..hmm...what exactly do I mean here? It's a piece that beckons one to grab at the words and scramble them around and try to make sense of the emotion behind the words and this cold cold world... in the end all one has is hope. That's my perception of the piece.
Thanks for the read.

Posted 16 Years Ago


It's a shame this isn't read. It's one of the best pieces I've read all day. I may not agree with your concept of Hope but the way you've drawn yours is beyond stunning.

I look forward to reading more.

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

324 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 8, 2008
Last Updated on March 17, 2008

Author

Chris Zahar
Chris Zahar

Uiwang, South Korea



About
I'm going to tell you one thing right now - YOU'RE NOT GOING TO GET AN A*S KISSING REVIEW FROM ME UNLESS YOU'VE EARNED IT!!! When I write a review, I tell it like it is. If it was great, I'll tell y.. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Chris Zahar



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Sun Dried Sun Dried

A Poem by Bubo