Perfection

Perfection

A Story by Ben Taylor

A whisper of Autumn, scarcely breaching the barrier of my sleep-befuddled mind, tempts me into wakefulness. My pillow gently pulls me back to my almost-forgotten dreamscape, but I resist; the rustle of midnight leaves has given birth to an almost-thought that I must give voice to. As the sleep from my eyes is transferred to the palm of my hands, I allow my feet to endure the bite of the incipient winter's breath. I follow my now solidified whim, collecting shreds of awakening along the way--until I open my portal to the elements.
Hinges squeal with ebullient laughter as the seasonal anticipation envelopes me; I am imbued with the excitement, the vitality. The mood is one of exuberance, for the blistering Summer has passed, and the sweet relief of winter has officially signaled her inexorable arrival. Trees dance around me, glowing in the grin of the moon, throwing their confetti of leaves into the gusts of early morning wind. I am content; these now-fallen leaves bustle by, their miniature tornado mimicry eliciting praise from the birds first to awaken.
The chirrups bring with them the shift of night, the fade of black to blue. I inhale the first tendril of sunlight that pierces Autumn's morning mist--it enters me, and I am satisfied. A seasonal shiver gently shakes me as the surrounding mist is burned away by the sun's increasing brilliance and swept away by playful gusts. As it lifts, it shows patches of radiant light glinting from the scenery surrounding me. The glimmer grows in intensity, until I am surrounded by pure, unadulterated white--
I awake. The swelter and sweat of summer pours in through my window, stifling me and rudely removing me from my perfection. I allow the blister of a sigh to burst in my mouth, patiently awaiting the arrival of Autumn.

© 2011 Ben Taylor


Author's Note

Ben Taylor
Written for the All About Nature contest. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Feels like an extended anecdote--or, perhaps, a slice-of-life. Whatever one calls this piece, it certainly now flows much better, Ben; making its keen perceptions more accessible to the slower among us--namely, me.
It is an extremely worthy offering.

Posted 12 Years Ago


More of a high-quality prose poem, wouldn't you say, Ben?
Still, I enjoyed your artistry very much.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Beautifully done Ben. Nature's seasons and sensations beautifully interwoven. It flows beautifully. Beautiful imagery. It shifts quickly from one to the other. Enjoyed this very much :)

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
3 Reviews
Added on May 4, 2011
Last Updated on May 4, 2011

Author

Ben Taylor
Ben Taylor

Columbia, MO



About
Almost everything I write now is relatively real, so just read what I write and get to know me. more..

Writing
Stretched Stretched

A Poem by Ben Taylor