She Watched

She Watched

A Poem by D.T.
"

Very different than my usual style.

"
She watches, 
the way the Sun rises in the morning, 
the way her little sister fights for a few minutes of extra sleep before school, 
the way the bus driver hits the large pothole in front of her yard each morning because he always forgets it's there. 
She watches, 
the way her best friend rushes to first period each day because she was too busy hanging in the girls' restroom to hear the latest gossip,
the way their first period teacher always waits between 30 and 40 seconds after the bell to shut the door because he knows to expect her late, yet he never gives her detention. 
She watches, 
the way the lunchroom tables crowd up with hungry kids constantly complaining about how gross the food is except for Jonas Smith, he is just happy to have a meal. 
She watches, 
the way all the students rush home after the dismissal bell, ready to get out of there. 
She watches, 
the way her little sister gets so happy when the bus gets them home so she can do her homework and watch tv. 
She watches, 
the way her own grades are dropping because she no longer cares like her sister does. 
She watches,
the way the Sun goes down as she is picking at her dinner, another plate of pizza because neither of her parents care enough to cook. 
She watches, 
the way her parents don't care for anything other than each of their affairs, yet they refuse to get a divorce, something about "staying together for the kids."
She watches, 
the way her little sister starts to fall asleep on the couch yet again so she takes her to bed and tucks her in. 
She watches, 
the way her sister knows things are going rough and says, "Why can't we just go to grandma's?" "Because, we just can't, this is home, but I promise it is going to get better soon," she says to her little sister comforting her to sleep. 
She watches, 
the way the bathroom steams up immediately when she cuts the hot water on and hops in, contemplating taking her life in there, she doesn't want to leave her little sister alone, so she decides against it. 
She watches, 
the way the blood slides off her body into the drain as she gives herself strength to carry on. 
She watches, 
the way her mom comes to check on her later in her bed and how her mom believes her when she says, "I'm fine."
She watches, 
the way her bed stays made due to another sleepless night,
the way her tv stays on although she isn't really paying the movie any attention. 
She watches, 
the way the Sun rises as usual the next morning, as if nothing is wrong, signaling to her that she isn't really that important after all. 
She watches, 
the way her parents and sister are downstairs eating breakfast silently like always, as she sneaks away to the bathroom quietly so they think she's still asleep. 
She watches, 
the way her sister scurries to the bus without waking her up, the way her dad is moving out today, and doesn't say goodbye, the way her mother doesn't even notice he's gone, then again, there's a lot her mother doesn't notice, like the bottle of Vicodin missing from the medicine
cabinet. 
She watches, 
the way her sister hasn't slept in 4 days, too traumatized to rest, the way her father left his s**t to come comfort his family wondering if he could have stopped this, the way her mother hasn't stopped drinking since she discovered the body of her baby girl, too guilty to face anyone, the way her best friend doesn't know what to do, because surprise, she was barely holding on too. 

© 2015 D.T.


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

A amazing poem. You create places and thoughts. I liked the way you used the repetition. Giving strength and purpose to the poetry. To watch. The sense of vision. Needed skill to survive. Thank you for sharing the excellent poetry. Made me think this afternoon.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


D.T.

8 Years Ago

Thank you for reading it. I'm happy you liked it.
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

I did and you are welcome.
This is an awesome piece D.T. I really love how the character in this is just observing life as it all moves around her while everyone is oblivious to her. I really liked it.. it's a different format and for me it makes it unique not trying to fit it into what everyone expects. Nice work :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


D.T.

8 Years Ago

Thanks!(: I wasn't sure about the format as I was writing it but after finishing the poem, I decided.. read more
AaronFreitas

8 Years Ago

In the end write for you and be happy with it... some will like it some will say could be better in .. read more
Mm...this is very interesting, something about the way she observes the life around her that's very appealing! I was thinking it might be even more striking though if it was in a story format, flash fiction maybe? And perhaps a few less (she watches) it would flow a little smoother and draw the reader into her world even more. But having said that, that's not to say I don't like it, I do. Makes me think of an intriguing start to a novel.

Posted 8 Years Ago


D.T.

8 Years Ago

Thank you!
This was beautifully sad. Added to my favorites. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


D.T.

8 Years Ago

Thanks, glad you liked it.
the letters with the stars are l and u

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

305 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 10, 2015
Last Updated on October 23, 2015

Author

D.T.
D.T.

Writing
Space Space

A Poem by D.T.


You You

A Poem by D.T.



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Only One Only One

A Poem by Robert