Lachrymosa

Lachrymosa

A Poem by Dana Alsamsam
"

“I look at you and see all the ways a soul can bruise" --Shinji Moon

"

The trees on your street

Waver and grow in your direction. 

The freight trains in the oil paintings

Leave their canvases and escape

The museum to make a stop

At your house. 


You sit in the bath tub, 

Veneer crushing against your flesh, 

And think about how closely you hug

The shimmering borderline 

Between life and death. 


Your eyes change colors again. 

© 2013 Dana Alsamsam


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The opening reminds me of a few poems by one of my favorite poets--the one I told you about the other night. I will send them to you a bit later if you like. That first stanza has an earnest beauty to it, a dark tenderness. So much is coming to life from what so many artists have labored to create. I think that is really the ultimate thing for all artist--and to be coming to the house of that one person, that is truly a special thing.

I like the image of the bathtub and the meditation on hugging that shimmering borderline. Also, the ending of this is awesome. It has this sort of mournful shift, but I see possibility and contemplation in those eyes. Overall, this piece flows so well and has such a rich tone. I love it, Dana.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

i'd love to give them a read- definitely send some my way!

thank you so much for your .. read more



Reviews

Oh, man, this is chillingly good. Honestly, the first stanza - upon first reading - was kinda bland to me. It wasn't until I finished the first reading and then reread it that what I'm assuming to be your intended impression really hit me. I usually don't invest the time to reread a lot of anything, but the stark brevity of this poem - as well its powerful imagery - really made me want to go back to it.

Overall, powerful the second time around.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you so much for taking the time to read it more than once! i'm glad it stuck with you and agai.. read more
~you allow so much to be imagined in the first verse (it's a beautiful piece by itself)...every moment is soul sensed..."Your eyes change colors again"~elegant~weeping~ :))

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

ah wow thank you so much for stopping by to give me a read and for your kind words!
wunder

10 Years Ago

~ah-my pleasure~
Your words like gold hold weight that can be beautiful and enchanting as it runs fluidly through the readers mind and inviting such a mystery as to their origin, rare and precious. I loved this one Dana. I read it several times and will read it several more times for it opens up doors to my mind each time allowing speculation and imagination to roam free. Great write.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Astro

10 Years Ago

We all do need a break, but unfortunately, it seemed to affect my momentum as far as writing goes. .. read more
Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

then coming back to writing you will appreciate it all the more and have a fresh take on things! som.. read more
Astro

10 Years Ago

Thank you Dana, and continue with your own artistic overture as it dances upon your mind.
What beautiful tension in this write. The way that you describe longing and living, juxtaposed to imagery that is both hard and soft, is quite breathtaking. I especially like the idea of the body in the bathtub...soft skin against hard veneer. And yes, that borderline between line and death can become muddy at times.

The last line...this is the genius of this piece for me. It sort of caught me off gaurd. I was reading the piece, enjoying it, and then "BAM" I was slapped in the face with this beautiful bit of imagery that really got my mind reeling. Nicely done.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you so much for your incredibly kind words, sarah!
again, amazing stuff! YES

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is a difficult one to interpret. It provokes thoughts of love from afar, watching as it passes you by or alternatively watching someone die from a disease. As always well written and entertaining in great metaphors.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

it's basically about a person who is lovely and magnetic and brilliant...but they can't see it for t.. read more
Archangel Gabriel

10 Years Ago

I guess for me the bit about watching and observing another shone through.
You balance simplicity and profundity as well as anyone I know in these parts...amazing poetry, amazing poet :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you so much for your always kind reviews :)
This poem is vividly unique in its own way. Vivid imagery and compelling diction. An intriguing write and read. Great work. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you so much- your reviews are always so incredibly kind!
I see the symbolism of the freight train and the crushing veneer as the overwhelming nature of life
great poem. You make such great points in your poetry.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you for your ever kind reviews :)
This one is worthy of holy cats dude, love it....it dips and wraps around the senses and brings you back to question what is going on here, life, death, love or creation. Awe inspiring Dana.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Dana Alsamsam

10 Years Ago

thank you so much! your reviews are always so kind (holy cats!)
Frieda P

10 Years Ago

Only when they hit the mark! My pleasure.....

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

583 Views
15 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on June 28, 2013
Last Updated on June 28, 2013
Tags: sadness, depression, death, life, eyes, museum

Author

Dana Alsamsam
Dana Alsamsam

Chicago, IL



About
"my brain hums with scraps of poetry and madness." i dance, write and play violin. i'm studying english and training in dance in chicago. i like spooky things, red lipstick, caffeine, punk/indi.. more..

Writing
mother mother

A Poem by Dana Alsamsam



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..