Lyrical Mortality

Lyrical Mortality

A Poem by DoormanDan
"

My own unique, but eternally flawed, perception of certain aspects of our universe.

"

Lyrical Mortality


A spectroscope is an instrument designed to refract starlight into its visible spectrum of colors.

By examining  the thin, dark lines, known as spectral lines, between the colors on this spectrum, scientists can determine the molecular composition of stars.

To me, on a symbolic level, a spectroscope and creativity are two similarly colored pieces of fabric sewn onto the same metaphorical blanket; in the sense that they serve as vessels which carry us beneath the crust of sometimes arrogant assumption, and reveal to us the thick mantle of lyrical mortality.

In my opinion, this thing, known to us as the universe, is a relatively repetitive place.

Much of what we perceive, from our sun, the planets orbiting it and those planets' moons, to the supermassive black-holes located within the galactic nucleus of galaxies and the millions of stars orbiting them share a relationship in their relationship with each other.

I think the same can be said with logic and creativity, matter and dark matter and science and dark energy.

Logic, like matter, is only a small percentage of the universe, and creativity, like dark matter, makes up a greater percentage of the universe.

However, both parties pale completely in the wake of science and dark energy, which make up most of the universe.

Now, I chose to relate science with dark energy because both increase the expansion rates of their relative universes over time.

These thoughts beg the question of where divinity fits into the mix.

The answer to such a question will vary from person to person depending on religion, of course, but for me, on the great schematic of creation, divinity is the force that drives us to love, hate, nurture, kill, give ourselves some sort of purpose in a play with no specific setting, plot, main protagonist or main antagonist.


Written on December 1, 2015 by Daniel Loughlin

 

© 2015 DoormanDan


Author's Note

DoormanDan
I decided I needed to stretch my creative wings more than I have been doing recently. I was inspired to write this past weekend's Doctor Who episode, Heaven Sent. I acknowledge that the viewpoints in this piece are flawed, and that other people may not necessarily agree with these viewpoints. This piece was a challenge for me to write, but fun as well, so I may right more pieces like this in the future. Although I did made sure to double check my knowledge on the things I used as analogies, I may be slightly off with some of them, so if anybody who reads this happens to be proficient in areas relating to the cosmos, please feel free to point out any errors. Since this is somewhat new territory for me, I'm going to ask you all; do you think I should write more material like this? Tell me what you think, and please be honest! :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

If I had all the money in the world, everything that money can buy, I would build myself a spaceship to tour space itself. There's something that is so fascinating about that uncharted territory it just all amazes me. This is a very vivid piece that mentally took me on a journey. I'm sorry it took me so long to finally read this and review it though.

Posted 8 Years Ago


DoormanDan

8 Years Ago

If you had a spaceship and was going into space, I'd probably make myself a stowaway in the luggage .. read more
A lot od deep thoughts in this write. Some I agree with, others no. Valentine

Posted 8 Years Ago


DoormanDan

8 Years Ago

Well, like I said, this my unique, but still eternally flawed, viewpoints on certain aspects of the .. read more
Wonderful wording!
Keep on writing!!

Posted 8 Years Ago


DoormanDan

8 Years Ago

Thanks fore reviewing Emily. I'm glad you like this :)
I loved the analogies in this write and a totally different topic, yet still the usual amazing work. Awesome write Dan :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


DoormanDan

8 Years Ago

I'm glad you liked the analogies Aaron. I've been having a difficult time feeling satisfied creativ.. read more
I, for one, really enjoyed this change of pace! I still love your usual style of writing, but its fun to see what people can accomplish by trying something new. It's written in a very interesting format, like a series of organized thoughts.
As for the content I only know slightly more than the average bear about the cosmos, but it still seemed to make sense to me. It actually made me think of something I learned in a math class I just finished. Chaos Theory suggests that there is a pattern in seemingly random events. So it made me wonder if every little decision we think we make, was actually made before billions of years ago. What if everything we are doing right now is part of the hugest pattern ever 0_0
Something to think about lol

Anywho I loved this piece and would enjoy to see more like it! :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


DoormanDan

8 Years Ago

Every time I hear Chaos Theory, I immediately think of Dr. Malcolm from Jurassic Park. Yeah, I've a.. read more
Amber Lily

8 Years Ago

Yup that's probably the first time I heard about Chaos Theory was in Jurassic Park! Take your time g.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

580 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 3, 2015
Last Updated on December 5, 2015

Author

DoormanDan
DoormanDan

College Burnout, DE



About
I'm a twenty one year old young man who enjoys writing poetry, songs, stories, paintball and other things. My favorite things to do are parkour, video games, listening to music, and making people hap.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..