A Stranger in the Village

A Stranger in the Village

A Story by The Storyteller
"

A Young boy, named Avraham, is determined to see who the Stranger in his village is.

"

A Stranger in the Village

 

                A small boy named Avraham ran through the village as it began to wake up from its night slumber. Even though Avraham was only a boy of six years of age, he knew every alley and corner of his village. The aroma of fresh baking bread filled his head as he navigated the streets. The murmur of activity played on his ears and slowly increased in volume. The boy passed several carts and people that were about their morning activities, which would have normally captivated his attention. He knew exactly where he was going and the quickest way to get there.

                As Avraham ran down the narrow alley he could not see his destination but could hear the Stranger’s voice echoing in the air. The boy’s excitement caused him to increase his speed and sprint the remaining few yards. The alley ended with an immediate left turn and the morning sun blinded the boy almost causing him to run directly into a crowd of people.

                Despite the early hour of the morning there was a fair amount of people in this crowd. Avraham still could not see the Stranger only the backsides of many adults. There are many disadvantages of being a young boy but being able to get to the front of a crowd is not one of them.  The boy crawled and squeezed and wormed his way through the crowd. Even though there were many people it was quiet, other than sound of His voice.  The boy was nearly to his destination and could see the sandaled feet of the Stranger. He only needed to get past two rather large men but they blocked his path.  Any news of a stranger would have sparked the curiosity of a young boy but Avraham’s urge to see this Stranger was nothing he had felt before. He narrowed his eyes in determination and tried to go around the men but they just pushed him back. He even tried to crawl between their legs but was shoved away. No matter what the boy did he was not permitted to advance.  Tears of frustration blurred his vision as his little arm stuck out from the crowd. The internal question “why, why shouldn’t I get to see the Stranger”, screamed in his mind. His desperation final became audible and he yelled,

                “Let me go I want to see Him!”

The Stranger stopped talking and the crowd looked around to see who cried out. The boy became aware of the eyes of the crowd focusing on him. The two large men turned around to look at him, leaving a large enough gap for him to pass, but he was too terrified to move.  Another man from the crowd grabbed Avraham by the arm.

 “How dare you interrupt the Rabbi!”

 Before the man started to drag Avraham away the Stranger called out.

 ”Leave the children alone! Allow the little ones come to Me.”

 The grip on the boy’s arm was loosened and Avraham walked out into the open void between the Speaker and the crowd.

 “Do not forbid or restrain or hinder them”

The boy slowly started to walk towards the Speaker, his feet seemed to move on their own. Children older and even younger than Avraham began to trickle out from the crowd.

“For such as these is the kingdom of heaven composed”

A smile formed on the child’s face as he finally made it to his destination. The Speaker’s face looked at Avraham in Love and a Peace enveloped the boy. He climbed up into the Stranger’s lap, the man they called Rabbi.

“Truly I say to you, unless you repent and become like little children.  Trusting, lowly, loving, forgiving, you can never enter the kingdom of heaven at all.

The Rabbi continued to talk to the crowd but the boy didn’t pay attention to what was said. He just sat there enjoying the His presence and knowing that this is where he was meant to be.

© 2014 The Storyteller


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I enjoyed your story. The first paragraph hooked me. I wanted to know where the boy was heading and who the 'Stranger" is. I liked the description of the sun, the people, the crowds. I also liked they spoken words you used for the Rabbi's words. It is sweet, simple and enjoyable. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

it get got me hooked to the story until the end. its very nice and simple. with the progress of story i discovered who the stranger is . good job thumbs up.

Posted 5 Years Ago


I understood right away what the story was about and who the Stranger was. But it was very well written and enjoyaboe.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I enjoyed your story. The first paragraph hooked me. I wanted to know where the boy was heading and who the 'Stranger" is. I liked the description of the sun, the people, the crowds. I also liked they spoken words you used for the Rabbi's words. It is sweet, simple and enjoyable. :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
3 Reviews
Added on July 18, 2014
Last Updated on July 18, 2014
Tags: Rabbi, Faith, Child, Stranger

Author

The Storyteller
The Storyteller

About
I have a desire to tell stories that are entertaining and help the reader have a positive change in their life. more..