The Dracomancer and I: The Gem of Winter

The Dracomancer and I: The Gem of Winter

A Story by Aldora Sparrow
"

I had written this for a school project. The underlined words are words I had to use. Hope you enjoy it!

"

 

“Geez.” I muttered under my breath as I trekked up the hill and the sun’s rays beating my black cloak. “Why does he have to be so demanding? A perfect place in this world? There’s no way…” I had noticed as I climbed up the hill, the black burned grass slowly changed to a lush green until I reached the top of the hill.
I forced myself not to drop my jaw at the scene. All around me was flourishing green hills and field, rolling on until the eye could not see anymore. Blades of grass wave at the slightest wind, sending great waves. Some trees grew so high they seemed to touch the sky with their leafy arms. Children ran around, chasing after each other, their laughter rung out. Sweet scents of ripe wheat wafted through the air and the fresh air enveloped me. Birds sang in their many languages and the place radiated happiness and prosperity. As I stood there, gawping at the scene, the sunset painted a crimson-gold to everything. It became quieter and a fresh breeze passed me, making my black cloak ripple around me.
As I stood there, I could not believe my eyes. How can a beautiful place exist in this broken world? Untouched and pure. I could not tear my eyes away from this paradise, heaven. Here peace and happiness prospers.
A once warm breeze turned into a chilling wind that should have chilled me to the core, but it no longer affected me. My heart was frozen and no longer felt any pain except from my love.
Kohaku’s promise echoed in my head. Yes. I must remember my mission. My mind flew back decades ago, years ago when I was just a normal Chinese woman from England.
The first memory came into focus. It was a cloudy evening and I was leaning against the pale room wall, thoughts floating around my head like a dark cloud such as the ones outside. The silver clock on my wall rang 7:30. Few moments later, there was a knock on the wooden door that echoed off the empty walls.
“If you are the pawnbroker, go away.” I raised my voice without looking up, still staring at the opposite wall. “I already paid my debts.”
“It’s me, you idiot.” Came a laughing voice. I snapped out of my trance and dashed to the door. It was Quangfeng. He had been my school mate and best friend since the day we moved to England together from China. He was a tall and handsome man with black spiky hair that never stood straight. He had gotten a tan since we moved and got another two centimeters taller. Smiling, he handed me a banquet of flowers.
“Thank you so much!” I raved. “They are beautiful!”
“It’s my apology gift. For not visiting you in a while.”
“It’s no problem.” I assured him. “Come in, you’re going to catch a cold.” Widening the door, he walked in and took off is shoes while I went to the kitchen to prepare some tea. When I finished, I carried the tray in and found him on the couch. I set the tray down and plopped next to him. We filled each other in with what the other missed. Apparently, he had gotten an apartment as well and it wasn’t that far away. He also got a job as a policeman. He kept on ranting on how shrewd his boss is, saying he is always criticizing Feng about being lazy. He also told me about an incident about two hansom cabs that went wrong. We shared many laughs. Finally after an hour or so, he got to the point.
“Bobai,” he called me. My heart skipped a beat. “I want you to help me with a mystery. This man,” he took a picture from his jacket. It was a man about in his late thirties with chocolate brown hair. “Is loose in this area. Have you seen him or know anything about him?”
“He does look a little familiar.” I thought. “I think he might be the one who lives in the apartment number 249. If I am remembering correctly, he picked a fight with another man a few days ago and almost beat him to death with a hunting crop.”
“That’s him! He was charged with a crop he brought from England and almost killed a man!” Feng cried, jumping up from excitement. I pulled him back down and he asked “what else do you know about him?”
“I only talked with him when I first moved here, before he committed the fight,” I tried hard to remember. “He didn’t sound quite intelligent, somewhat imbecile. But when I asked him a few questions about some things and he gave quite ingenious ideas. He seems just the type to commit more crimes. He seems quite witty despite how unintelligent he sounds.” We spent another hour or so chatting, deducting things here and there. When the silver clock on my wall stroke 9 o’clock, he had a plan to catch this man. Feng stood up and bid good-bye. At the last moment, he leaned down and kissed me on the cheek. After the door clinked, I skipped to my bed and laughed. Everything seemed right in the world. I cleaned up, humming a tune. Slipping on my nightdress, I tied my long black hair back and slid into bed.
I had a nightmare. I saw my brother running towards me smiling. Just as I reached out to hug him, he changed into a haggard man. He was tall and had shallow skin. His ragged black hair was pulled back into a ponytail. He scowled at me and slid right past me. The scene changed. All around me were the dead bodies of my family. My face was spattered with the blood. That man was standing over me. Fear and anger mixed together and I jumped up. We brawled until I was almost dead myself. Towering over me, he was grinning maliciously. From a corner, he dragged a bloody body. It was Feng. The man held a knife to Feng’s throat. His lips moved in unheard words. I woke up screaming. My body was covered in cold sweat despite the warm blanket. I sat there panting and reached for a book. After I fully calmed down, I set the book down and leaned back on the blankets. I experienced a few more convulsions before they too went away. I lay back down and fell into a dreamless sleep.
The scene changed again. Weeks had passed without much difference until one night I had come back to my home. It was all dark. Unconsciously, I shuddered. I went from room to room, calling the names of my loved ones. In the room of my parents, I found a disaster. The haggard man was there, but this time in the flesh. As if this was a movie, he followed my nightmare exactly until he held the knife to Feng’s throat.
In a gruff tone, he gasped “You love him, don’t you? You want him to live, right? Well, lend me your service and he will be spared. Deal?”
“Wh-what service?” I stammered, forcing myself to stare into his unmerciful black eyes.
“Ah... that.” He rasped. Every word he spoke was spoken with length as though he was taking his time and amusement. “It’s is quite simple. A few things here and there and ah…yes. Your body.”
“Ex-excuse me?”
“You heard me. Your body. After I kill you, I get your body, alright?”
“But will he be s-spared?”
“Yes. He will have eternal life. Yes.” He rolled his s’es that they sounded like snakes and he smiled with those sharp teeth. “Deal? Oh, by the way, my name’s Kohaku.”
The scene changed again. I was at the house where my family had been murdered. At my side was the coroner and he was asking me about their deaths. I told him over and over again it was a mistake of mine. He didn’t believe me, but he went away after a while. I cried to myself in my corner. What have it done wrong to deserve this? There was a little rustle and Kohaku was at my side, flashing me those sharp teeth.
“Well? How did it go?” he demanded.
“Just as planned.” I spoke in a heartless monotone, staring at the wall and silent tears rained down.
“Very good, very good.” He smiled again, deliriously.
“What next, master?”
“I need you to collect these things and be quick about it.” He shoved a sheet of paper in to my motionless hands. He held up a finger to wipe away a tear. Standing, and a flutter of his black cape, he was gone.
The scene faded and became another memory. I was with Kohaku at an abandoned shed. I was picking out the things he told me to get. I was nearing the end.
“…wild silver tiger’s eye, golden crocuses collected at midnight, and the hoof of a sapphire horse.”
“My, you are getting better at this.” He praised, glancing over the items. You probably wouldn’t recognize him as the same haggard man I had first met. He had taken a shower and he looked remotely handsome. He was neater with himself and dropped the polite tones. “If you weren’t a mortal, maybe you could be my wife. Pity you are a dirty blooded human hopelessly in love with another…”
“How dare you degrade me and my love!” I shrieked.
“Hey, calm down. I was merely speaking the truth. Say, maybe you could perform a ceremony to make yourself into a Dracomancer such as myself. Then you would not have to kill yourself for a dirty human. You can marry me and your love will be spared.”
“Will you kill him if I do?”
“Only time will tell. Well? Do you accept?”
I hesitated. “Tell me exactly what is needed and no surprises such as killing Feng,” I warned him.
He chuckled. “All you need to do is get a baby dragon and take a scale and one of its eyes. Choose wisely because this one will be your partner and power source. To make the potion, you need a talon of a black great horned owl with golden eyes, heart of a full-grown male unicorn, the fire of a chimera, and a sliver of the moon and mix it with the dragon’s eye and scale. Then you drink it at dusk. Alright?” He held out a rough hand and I shook it, scared of the future.
The scene melted away and another replaced it. Walking across a stile (I knew enough magic to see in the dark), I crept across a burnt field that once a lush green meadow at midnight. Then I saw it. Prancing in the center of the field was a shining unicorn. Its golden horn reflected the dim moonlight and its pure white fur seemed to glow on its own. For a few seconds, I was entranced. Shaking my head, I whipped by black cloak around me until I melted into the darkness. I was invisible. The sudden rustling of my cloak startled the unicorn. It stood straight until it decided it was just the wind. By that time I was behind it. I created clones of myself, all concealed as well. All at once, we threw identical basilisk venom-poisoned daggers at it. The venom took effect almost immediately and it was dead before it hit the ground. As my clones dissolved into nothingness, I plucked out the daggers, careful not to touch the blades. After I got them out, I set them on the ground and pulled out a bigger, more beautiful knife that Kohaku had given me to keep with me at all times and slit the unicorn’s chest. Later, covered in silver blood, I hid the body for the elements to take acre of it and went away, carrying a wicker basket with my daggers and the heart of a unicorn. Misery welled up inside me, nagging me that I should not have killed a pure animal and that I should give it a proper burial, but I just pushed it to the back of my mind.
Before long, I had killed countless innocent creatures and I had become merciless. It would be hard to believe I once was a caring girl that would sulk just because I killed a bug.
The day drew near for my transformation into a Dracomancer, a dragon wielder that legends only spoke of. Kohaku showed me his prized collection of books that one day I will take care of them. Some books were to brew potions, shape-shift, and several of them in languages never seen or even heard of. Some of the few books written about Dracomancers wrote of the magnificent power of them, performing miracles such as controlling time, granting wishes and even resurrecting the dead, but the rest of the pitiful amount of books feared the power and explained in great detail of the cruelty of them. None of the books even mentioned about how to become one.
Only Kohaku knew the true way to become a Dracomancer since he was one himself. He had a whole line of pure Dracomancers, not tinted with the dirty blood of mortals. Dracomancers have been once shunned by the rest of the world because of their alliance with the dragons and learned their secrets. There was a great war and most of the Dracomancers were wiped out, out of the world and out of history except for Kohaku’s great-great-great-great grand father and mother. They hid in the mountains and experimented with magic. They finally figured out how to change from a human form to a Dracomancers at will and they were welcomed into the mortal world as one of their own. Then the whole pure line of Dracomancers were born, each marrying their brother or sister to produce pure ones until another one found a way to turn humans into Dracomancers. So they married, transformed into Dracomancers and they would have pure children.
The only way to kill a Dracomancer, as Kohaku told me, was to kill the dragon and Dracomancer at the same time. If the dragon dies on its own, the Dracomancer has a certain amount of time before they die. Also, another way was to kill them at their most vulnerable state- in sleep, in human form, or out of magic. I held on to this information, just in case I needed it.
On the day before my transformation, I went out to find a dragon. It went pretty smoothly. I first went to a particular tree another burnt field. I spoke words of dark magic and a portal was made. I went into the world of the dragons. Kohaku made the portal after he found the magical properties in the tree. At first, it was so dark that I thought I had entered the Otherworld where the dead stay. Then, it changed into a normal world except with dragons. I had never seen so many dragons in one place. There were dragons of every shade of color, size, and even scent.
It didn’t take me long to find one I wanted. She was a small dragon only about three moons old (each moon (month) for dragons are five years for humans). She had about another eighteen moons until she was full grown. She was very beautiful to look at. She had turquoise scales and golden eyes. Her wings, now useless, lay folded on her back. Silver claws marked her as an immortal and she was only the size of a large cat. I had learned the language of the dragons, Draikmier, and was fluent with it. I chatted with the dragon. I found her name was Bluemoon and she was alone in her world. Her parents died in the war where the Dracomancers got wiped out. I told her I was alone as well and I asked her if she wanted to come to my world so that we could be together. She agreed so willingly and so innocently that I almost left without her, not wanting to hurt her. We left the world behind us, two loners now two friends and partners.
I went to Kohaku’s place to show him Bluemoon. When I got to his place, I pulled the bell tassel and he came out, wearing a white T-shirt and jeans. His eyes brightened up at the sight of her. He widened the door and welcomed us in. He led us to his living room and I set Bluemoon on the table between us.
“My, you have good taste,” he praised, looking at Bluemoon with such intensity that she look at him, worried. He then directed his eyes into Bluemoon’s and asked, “Are you hungry or tired, little one?”
“Krii ree rin sii trii,” Bluemoon chirped which meant that she was hungry.
“Alright, I’ll go make some food for you. Be right back.” he chuckled and left the room, leaving Bluemoon and I together. We talked together. Dragons at four to five moons old are supposed to be able take on human speech, but through mind-speak. A few moments later, Kohaku cam back in with a tray of boar meat and a bowl warm milk and set it in front of Bluemoon. She ate as though she went through a famine while Kohaku to me aside.
“I put a sleeping potion in the food,” he told me. “When she is asleep, you know what to do.” There was a soft thump which told us she had fallen asleep. I carefully picked her up and went into a back room. I turned her on her back and started my dark work. When I had gotten a scale and eye, I created an exact copy of the eye and placed in the bloody socket. After the work was done, I cleaned up the work place so it didn’t look like I did anything. I covered Bluemoon in a blanket and closed the door with a soft click.
Kohaku was waiting for me. “Well? How did it go?”
“Perfectly.” I muttered dejectedly, slumping into the couch.
The scene flowed into another one. It was finally the afternoon of my transformation. Kohaku and I leaned against the wall in a silent vigil as the potion brewed. Suddenly, the potion changed colors rapidly. First, a dark blue, to a bloody red, to a shining golden.
“Put in the scale, eye and your hair.” Kohaku commanded. I strode up, dropped in the changing potion the eye and scale, and pulled out a knife. I pulled my black hair that came to the middle of my stomach and, with a quick swipe, cut off my long hair until it was shoulder length. A tear slipped down as I dropped my lustrous hair into the cauldron. The color had stopped to the same blue as Bluemoon’s scales and changed into a blue-black when I dropped in my hair.
“Hm…you look more like a Dark Mage than I.” Kohaku mused. Seeing my confused look, he explained. “My color was a shining golden color. That color is going to be the skin color when you are in your true form and your dragon form. What? I didn’t tell you? You can change into a dragon at will as well as human.” He had not told me any of this. He looked at a clock hanging above his head. “Ten more minutes. Good. We are on time. Now,” he directed me into the complicated ways to brew the potion. It included turning clockwise twice, stopping for exactly one minute, another clockwise, and one counterclockwise and so on. The time crept up and soon it was dusk. At Kohaku’s call, I drank the potion in one fast gulp.
The effect was immediate. My skin at my stomach first started move as though it was water. Slowly, the color changed to the same blue-black in the cauldron and moved up my body. It was very painful. When it spread to my face, it hurt like a thousand piercing flames. Kohaku looked on as I writhed in pain and there was no emotion on his face, but a hint of pain in his eyes. The color spread to my eyes and I saw red. A dark red almost the color of blood. There was a sudden stab of pain between my shoulder blades. The most pain happened at my hands, feet, back, and face. Then, just as suddenly as it came, it was gone.
Kohaku took my hand and led me to mirror. The tunic I was wearing before was in terrible shape, shredded here and there. My body shape had not changed. Gasping, I saw that I had turned the color as Kohaku said except it was a bit lighter. My nails on my feet and hand became long and sharp and were the color of sapphires. I felt my face, it was the same texture. There was a soft whoosh I realized what the pain in my back was for. I had grown wings. They were massive and could wrap around me easily. They looked exactly like the wings of the pictures of dragons- hand-like and thin. What scared me most were my eyes. The whites had turned the same red I saw and I had black slits for pupils like a snake’s.
“You look far more attractive than when I first met you.” Kohaku praised.
“I do?” This? Attractive? Are you kidding me? I saw when I spoke that I had the same sharp teeth as Kohaku except my canine teeth were longer than the rest by about four centimeters so they looked like fangs and I had a red forked tongue, flickering and tasting the air.
“You do. Well, you…um...should change into something more suitable.” He directed himself to face the opposite wall, blushing a bit. “The clothes over are for you to wear when you are Dracomancer and will appear on you the moment you transform. It’s made from the fur of a shadow lynx which only comes out at the midnight of the middle day of the second leap year. It is element resistant to some degree and it is very flexible. It also lets air pass through easily. You may go.” I nodded and left the room. Inside the walls of my room, I shed my damaged clothes and replaced them with the new black ones. When I finished, I gazed into the full-length mirror and looked at myself. I felt it looked kind of awkward since I was in my human form, the tan skin against the black of the fabric.
The whole outfit was split into five parts. The first was a tank top that the straps started at my collarbone to the beginning of my shoulder. The bottom reached near the end of my rib cage and the top was in a rectangular, revealing my collarbone. The second was my skirt. It was tight and reached near my knees. The top was a belt and buckle. Next, it was a pair of boots that was made from what looked like a cross between black leather and silk. It was heeled, but there was no space between the heel and front. I was thankful for the lack of space because I would trip and fall. It was very airy and it reached to the middle of my thigh. After that, there were black gloves. They were so soft that I soon forgot it was even there. I flexed my fingers to find it was silent, soft, and flexible. It reached to the space between my wrist and elbow. Finally there was a black ribbon. Pulling it, I found it also was flexible and didn’t break no matter how hard I tried. As soon I tied it into my hair, there was a knock on the door. Kohaku came in.
“Hm…it doesn’t look that great on your human form. Hey, want to see my true form then I can teach you to transform on your own?” I nodded. He took a step back. Golden leaves sprouted from his palms and enveloped him. When the leaves died away, I recognized him as I recognized my new self. His body didn’t change either and looked exactly like me except he was indeed a shining gold. His eyes were white with black pupils and nails were a light blue. I felt like a polar opposite from him. I was the night and he was the day.
“I will teach you the ways of the Dracomancers. I will teach you to transform at will, use the magic, and to fight. Now, to change back.” We spent the next ten minutes or so together and he told me how to change back. I realized that during the time I was with him, my heart beat crazily. Why was that? Could it be fear? It couldn’t be love, could it? No, I love Feng. What is this feeling? I feel as though I just drank something warm. When I look at him, why can’t I look him in the eye? Why is that? What is wrong with me?
The next few memories were of those with Kohaku. Many of them were happy times, but there was one that stuck out to me most. It was also the last one.
“Iostra!” Kohaku went into a rage, calling me by my Dracomancer name.
“Y-yes?” I shivered. His voice echoed off the empty walls.
“How could you have blundered this?” He roared. I held on to the wall to steady myself.
“I-I followed your d-directions.”
“No you didn’t!” I had slid down the wall and now he was kneeling over me, his face centimeters away from mine.
“I’m sorry. Wh-what did I do wrong?”
“Tell me,” he fumed, but his voice was no longer loud. It was soft, but pierced me the same. “Tell me, did you put the fire salamander’s tail at exactly the time you had the third clockwise turn?”
“I-I-”
“Tell me,” he interrupted. “Did you make sure the fire was the blue of Bluemoon’s scales?”
“I-”
“Did you make sure you poured only one cup of the tears of a phoenix?”
“I-no. No. I didn’t.” I hung my head. My heart twisted and I started to cry.
The tears must have calmed him down. He got up and put his face in his hands. “I-I’m very sorry. I really am. I didn’t mean to make you cry.”
“No it was my fault. Excuse me.” I got up to leave, but he was faster. He put his two arms against the wall on either side of me, trapping me.
“Look at me, Iostra.” His voice was no higher than a whisper. I did. He leaned forward and kissed me. I was frozen. I pushed him away and looked away. “I love you, Iostra. I really do. Please look at me and love me, too.”
“No. I can’t because I only love Feng. You know that.”
“Sadly, I do. It pains me to see you love another man.” Suddenly he reached out and touched my hair. “My, your hair has grown so long. Can you at least accept a little whim of mine?”
“Yes?”
“Cut off a lock of your hair so I can remember you if you do choose to stay with that man.” He gave a slight shiver when he mentioned Feng’s name.
“Very well,” I sighed and pulled out the knife I had always carried with me. I pulled the front two locks, measured at my chin, and cut. I made a black string materialize out of thin air and tied my locks together. I handed it to him and left the room.
As I lay there, I sorted out my mixed feelings. I listed what I knew about him. He really knows everything about being the Dark Mage and Dracomancer. He can be violent at times, but also very sweet. He’s funny, but serious when he needs to be. He loves me and hates Feng. I think that’s about it. What should it do? Should I go with Feng or Kohaku? Which one? I can’t choose!
You seem distressed, master. Since I was so caught up in my thoughts, I hadn’t heard Bluemoon flutter in. She landed next to me and put her head in my lap. She had gotten bigger since the time I met her. She was reaching the end of her third moon and almost twice her size when I met her. Now, she was almost the size of a medium-sized tiger. Her scales deepened to a pretty shade of sky blue. Kohaku predicted that when she was fully-grown she would be about the color of aqua or something like that.
“I am, Bluemoon, and I don’t know what to do.” I sighed and flopped back onto the bed.
Explain to me and I will try to help. Bluemoon suggested. I told her everything and when I finished, she just sat there. Finally she spoke. I cannot help you with this. Love is a complicated topic and it is only something the person can figure out. Others can only suggest. Remember this: when you are with your true love, only then will your heart beat. Sleep on it and tell me tomorrow if there’s anything else you want to vent out.
“That’s a good idea,” I enthused. “Good night and thank you.”
That night, I had another nightmare. This time it was an uncouth creature. It looked like an ogre, but with three eyes and six arms. It spoke in strange grunts and gestures. The scene changed again. A hooded man with a length of green hair hung down came to me. Though the hood was long, it didn't hide the startling grey eyes. He spoke to me in a soft and echoic voice.
“Iostra,” he said. “You have been blessed by the gods with the gift of being able to see the future through me. I am Destiny. I tell you what you see, but you must figure out what it means. I will indulge you in the secrets of being a Future-speaker. I cannot tell you more than three things in your life since you have shortened it by becoming a Dracomancer with that man. I have your first Sight. Look into the future…” I woke up with a jolt before I could find out more. There was another knock on the door.
“Quit loitering, Iostra,” boomed Kohaku’s voice. “We have things to do!”
“A-alright! I’m coming!” I hurried to change into my usual breeches and tunic. Minutes later, I was standing in the sunlight and blinking in the bright light. How long have I slept? Kohaku and I trained together and my skills soon became almost as great as Kohaku’s. At the end, we lay lodged into the soft blades of grass, relaxing and thinking.
Out of nowhere, Kohaku declared. “Hey, Iostra. I think you have enough magic to help me with something. I want to travel into the future to about the twenty-first century. I want to rule the new world with you at my side. We will spread peace and revive the Dracomancers. But you will have to leave your beloved Feng,” He cringed at the name.” behind us. Will you come with me?”
“Kohaku,” I grasped his hand. “I would travel to the ends of the earth just to be with you. I have put my love for Feng into the past, though it was a hard choice. You are my mentor, friend, and love. Let us go.”
Another memory replaced the last one. There had been a time skip. I was in the twenty-first century, the present. I looked exactly the same as those many decades ago except just a few years younger until I was about eighteen which meant that I was a junior in high school. I lay on my bed listening to ipod.
“What have you done to me? You make me loose my sanity, my mind. What can I do to get rid of you? I can’t be myself…” I sang, swaying gently with the tune.
At that movement, Kohaku knocked on the door and let himself in. I turned off the ipod and took off the earphones. Leaning against the wall, I faced Kohaku and listened attentively.
Plopping into the nearest chair and scooting the chair to face me, I looked him over. He, unlike me, was unfazed by the changes in time. He had the same face and height. He was about twenty-three which meant he was out of school. He had just found a well paying job which meant he could pay for my school fees and still live comfortably. He began, “Bobai,”
“I told you to stop calling my by that name,” I pouted. “That is the past now. Call me by my new name.”
”Very well, Iostra” (I liked my Dracomancer name so much I wanted to keep it as my official name) “I heard you have a science exam and a history exam soon. Need me to help you study?”
“If it doesn’t bother you,” I said, unzipping my backpack. We spent the evening studying together. So much has happened since those days in England. Kohaku and I controlled the time to our favor and ended up in America. We first separated to get jobs in the same area. I was old enough to work, but Kohaku believed in a good education.
“…is stagnant?” he asked, not looking up from the paper.
“Huh? Oh yeah. Yes is it is.”
“Good. That is it. Let me come up with a test paper. You practice your Dracomancer magic so you don’t forget.”
As soon the door clicked to a close, I concentrated. In my mind, I found the fountain of magic (every magic wielder was center source of magic. Kohaku’s was a tree). I went over and drank a gulp of the silvery-blue water.
I called out, “Sratrd wrtisa dbod askrii dasgre omlda (Open the portal of silver waters)!” I wasn’t skilled enough to transform without saying my phrase. Kohaku on the other hand could just say it in his head and it would be instantaneous. A silvery-blue mist wrapped around me. The transformation, after months of training, became less painful and faster. When I was finished, I was standing there with my black clothes. Yes, I did look beautiful with the clothes. My slits for eyes directed them to the window that was purposely made for my transformations. Legs folded under me, I pushed my legs and my wings opened. The window opened and I soared up towards to the sky.
Freedom tasted so great. Closing my eyes, I savored the freedom as it kissed my face. Suspended in midair, I glided above the city. My eyes snapped open, slit eyes searching, and found a dark forest. I folded my wings together and dropped. The winds chewed through my hair tie, sending my black hair flying askew. As I neared the ground, my wings opened to work as a parachute, and I drifted to the ground. The clearing was only about as big as a dinner table in diameter. No matter. I thought to my self. It’ll be all clear once I’m done with it. Clapping my palms together, I formed seals of the twenty sacred animals in a certain pattern.
            When the required amount was formed, I called out, “Sraii kazgt sastred (Wind Dragon Hurricane)!” The once calm, silent air soon became a silvery-blue hurricane that closed around me. The hurricane, with me in the middle, molded itself into a snake-like dragon with icy blue eyes. Widening its mouth, it collected the rest of the winds into its gaping mouth. The winds revolved until it became a swirling orb. Each of the dragon’s movements was controlled by my seals. Following my seals, the dragon waved its head in different directions until it faced the sky and roared. But no sound came from the dragon. The orb exploded sending long, thin slivers of wind that chopped through the trees with amazing speed and accuracy. Soon, the air was filled with the sound of trees crashing to the ground. The winds had stopped and all was calm again.
            I sighed a breath of relaxation. The move was among the highest ten moves so it put a lot of strain on my body. I crumpled to the ground, changing into my human form. Suddenly, I jerked up because I had sensed a presence with me. Out of the forest came Kohaku. He was smiling.
            “That was exponential, Iostra,” he praised. Smiling weakly, I tried to get up. Kohaku put a hand on my shoulder, pushing my down. “You have improved quite some bit. I’ll take you home and you rest and I’ll wake you up later.” I smiled and drifted into unconsciousness.
It was almost seven when I woke up. Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I got out of bed and changed into a t-shirt and knee-length skirt. I went over to the desk and found the test Kohaku had promised. Apparently, he even added history into the science test. Sliding into the seat, I started immediately. The problems were hard, but doable. At the sixteenth problem, I paused. The problem read, “What is propaganda?”
“Propaganda- information, ideas, or rumors deliberately spread widely to help or harm a person, group, movement, nation…etc.” I had a somewhat bad habit of speaking aloud the problems that I had trouble with. “Alright!” I stretched a while after. The test was hard, but helpful. I went to Kohaku’s room and knocked softly.
“Hai? Iostra?” called Kohaku.
“Um…Kohaku? I’m done with the test.”
Opening the door, Kohaku said “Great! How was it?”
“It was very helpful. Thanks!” I smiled.
“Good. Come on in. we can go over it together.” Kohaku’s room was looked similar to his old home-clean, neat, and fresh. We sat on the bed together. He helped me go over the test. I noticed he looked at me often and if I hadn’t noticed how handsome he was, I did now. And my heart beat very fast. I remembered Windheart’s words. Remember this: when you are with your true love, only then will your heart beat.
Yes. This is the love that I thought I would experience with Feng, but fate doesn’t work that way. I wonder how he’s doing. I leaned my head on his shoulder.
“Huh? Are you tired? Want to go to bed? We can do this some other time.”
“No. I’m fine.” I whispered. “I want to spend more time with you.”
“O-oh. Alright, so to get the formula you have to…” I loved listening to him talk.
“Ok. We’re done. How are you feeling? Sometimes pushing yourself can cause some aftereffects.”
“I’m fine, thanks.” I reached up and touched his face. His eyes reflected the love in mine. “Thank you for helping me.” I leaned over and kissed him. His arms wrapped my waist and mine around his neck. We stayed there few a few more moments. I could feel his heart beat with mine. I slid down and we just embraced. After a few minutes of silence, I left and plopped on my bed. My face felt warm and my heart still beat fast. A huge husky lumbered in.
Well? How was it? Asked Bluemoon. When we came to this world, we left the Mage part of us behind and Bluemoon took on a more normal shape- a husky. She still had the golden eyes that were filled with wisdom. She was a little smaller than most huskies, about half of the normal size.
“What-what to you mean?”
You know perfectly well. How did you and Kohaku go in there? She taunted, somewhat seriously and somewhat playfully.
“Humph! We just studied together.”
And?
“And-we kissed. That’s it.” We stared at each other. Then we both broke into helpless laughter. After laughing until we got cramps, I got up and changed into my night dress. As I sat on the bed and braided my long hair, Bluemoon and I talked. We talked about everything under the sun. We shared many laughs. After a while, we bid good night and went to sleep.
The dream was once again very obscure. This time, I was on an island except it was magma around me instead of water. Also, the air was spangled with shards of metal, glinting purple from a violet moon. The sky was at least normal with a dark blue color. Then the same hooded creature that called himself Destiny came to me. The voice was once again echoic and soft.
“Ah…long time no see, young one.” He reached up and put a white palm to my face. “You’ve grown. You have become stronger in magic and in heart. You have accepted the love of the man that threatened the life of your old love. Am I right?” There was an awkward pause. He continued, “Nonetheless, I have a gift to give you. Move aside your hair.” I did as it bid with no voice. He touched my pate and murmured something. A small sapphire in the shape of a rain drop surrounded on four sides by small triangles speared on my forehead. “For you becoming my follower as a Future-seer.”
“Hey!” I cried after I found my voice, trying in vain to rip it off. “I didn’t agree to this! I just want to be a Dracomancer! I don’t want any future seeing and whatnot!”
He was undaunted. “Have you ever wondered why Kohaku chose you to become his wife when he could have chosen any woman he wanted?”
“That was because he threatened to kill my love and he said talent in magic!”
“Why did he threaten you? You of all people?” He said in an annoyingly calm tone.
“He said he wanted my service!”
“Did he ever tell you what the service was?”
That got me. “I-I-”
“He saw the power in you. He first recognized the future-seeing power that only one person every thousand years can posses. After you went with him to keep your love alive, he saw the magic power and fell in love with you. He can be quite rash at times.”
“I-I didn’t know.”
“Of course you didn’t,” he reassured me. “He loves you too much to tell you.”
“What do you want to do with me? What is this thing anyway?”
“Oh. That. It’s a future seeing magnifier. You can only use it to protect the ones you love. Every time you use it, the magic lessens. After about three times, it will fade away. All I want you to do is fulfill a need of mine.”
“What kind of need?” I asked wearily, taking a step back.
“You need to kill a certain someone for me. You have killed mercilessly, haven’t you? This should be no problem. The only catch is that you have to kill him in a certain way that I will teach you now.” We spent some time together and I learned the ways of removing the soul and spirit without disrupting the body and replacing it of another soul. After a while, Destiny said to me, “Here is the special powder you need. Make sure you do correctly. Remember, don’t forget to create that group. You will need them sometime in the future. Good bye. I’ll be watching.”
A bright light was shining in my face; I sat up and rubbed my eyes. It was Sunday and Kohaku always slept in on Sundays. I dressed quickly and cooked Bluemoon and I a breakfast. Through mouthfuls of toast, I told Bluemoon of the dream. She seemed to agree with me that I shouldn’t leave this. After all, it involved a god and it happens to be a powerful one, one of the original ten in fact.
Let me get this straight. Bluemoon said. Basically, he wants you to create a group of assassins and you as the leader. Also, you need to kill a certain man. Very interesting.
“Yeah, it is.” I leaned back in the chair. “I wonder what it could all mean.”
Ah…who knows? Only grey-eyed Destiny knows. Well, we can’t leave a god waiting. What is your plan?
Night finally came and I was ready. I changed into my Dracomancer form without my wings and set out with only a retractable pole and the bag of powder Destiny had given me. After some trekking, I found the home where he worked and stayed. It was quite splendid. The house Kohaku and I lived in was quite simple and plain since we had no interest in luxury. We preferred the life of hard work than the life of luxury that we could’ve gotten except we saved it for some other uses. The house was about half the size of a high school and included a pool, mini golf course, fountain, and a garden.
“Mataku (Oh well),” I sighed in Japanese. Kohaku sometimes would have some words in Japanese pop every now and then and I picked them up. “I have to look around a bit. I’m still early.” It took a much shorter time than I thought it would. The servants’ rooms were in the back of the house. Their rooms were fancier than mine so I wondered what kind of splendor would the master and mistress has.
The man I was looking for was a man named Raymond Hills. He had promised Destiny that he would be a follower in exchange of a precious item. Incidentally, he broke the promise and fled. But no one can hide from a god, especially Destiny who took over the lives of people and the future. His daughter Fate helped him to work his will. Now, Destiny desperately needed the item back. Since it wasn’t an equinox, Destiny couldn’t come to the earth. He came to me to do his will. I was to separate the soul from the spirit and body. The soul would be taken to Destiny with the item. The spirit could not live without the soul and the body could not live without either. So the spirit would enter the Otherworld while the body would rot away.
I waited out side his window. Not long after the work hours were done, he walked in. Tall and handsome, he looked like the perfect butler. I watched him change from his tuxedo and into his bathrobe. He left the room to the bathroom to brush. When he came back, he stared out of the window. He stood there for a while, gazing at the moon for while. Turning, he went to the bed, turning off the lights, went to sleep. I sat there for a while, preparing the powder. I took a huge leaf that I took from the master’s garden and poured the powder into it. I scooped some water into the powder and it started to change color. Before, it was a light yellow, but it changed to dark brown. Soon, I heard the slow rising and sinking of breath that indicated he was asleep.
Climbing through the window, I dropped to the ground as though I was a cat- silently. I walked over, bathing in moonlight, and started the ritual immediately. Taking off my boots, I crawled over him and smearing the brown mixture onto his head, daubing him with the signs of the dead. The signs were to be precise and took some effort. One his forehead, I painted a black circle with a snake around it to show the afterlife and the Guardian of the Dead which was a snake. On his palms, I drew a guillemot to show that the body was free from the soul and spirit and the northern winds would take care of it. Finally, I drew the symbol of Destiny, a brown road leading to a star, on his chest. As I creating the seals to finish the ritual, he woke up to my murmurings.
“Hey!” He tried to sit up. “What are you and what are you doing?”
“Pleas stay quiet, Mr. Hills.” I hissed. “I am a follower of Destiny who you had cheated long ago. Now, tell me, where is the precious object you took from him?”
“I-I don’t know what you’re talking about.”
“Tell me. I don’t want to have to strangle it out of you. Tell me.”
“It’s in the drawer under my bed. The key is in the copy of the Arabian Nights.”
“Now, that wasn’t so painful was it? Now, I have arranged a meeting between you and Destiny himself. Are you prepared? Any last words?”
“No! NO! Please don’t do this to me! I don’t want to go! I’ll give you anything! Anything! You name it and I will give it to you. Pleas don’t do this to me!”
“Heh,” I chuckled. “I’m sorry to say I can’t fulfill that. One more chance. What is your dying wish? If you have none other, I will send you to Destiny right away.”
“Please! I don't want to die yet!”
“Have a good time with Destiny.” I formed the last seal and he was gone. “Humph. You can run, but you can’t hide.” I went and got the object. I opened the drawer and a small light filtered out. There, lying among other precious objects was a silver flute. I knew it was it because of the power that radiated from it and Destiny’s mark was engraved in it. I pocketed the flute and I took his body to a lee where his body was out of the wind’s way. The tether held him tight and, satisfied, I left.
That night I met up with Destiny again, but this time, Raymond was there as well. He looked guilty as he stood in the shadows of Destiny.
“You did well, Iostra.” Destiny said. “Do you have the item?” nodding, I pulled the silver flute out and handed it to him. He looked it over, smiled, and nodded his approval. “Thank you so much for everything. In return, I will grant any wish of yours as long it doesn’t disrupt the delicate balance of the world.”
“Wouldn’t even think about it. Do you really say anything?”
“A god never breaks a promise unless it is under certain circumstances.”
“I don’t know what to wish for.”
“You don’t have to now. Just know I am in your debt until you make a wish. Good night and thank you so much.” I bowed to him and was surprised to see Raymond come to me.
“Thank you for sending me safely,” he said. “It was less painful than I thought it would be. I’m sorry I was so fussy.”
“Hey, no problem,” I assured him. “Have fun with Destiny.”
“I will. I hope to see you soon.”
The rest of the dreams that followed were totally unconnected. At one point I remember I was a hunting a ptarmigan and it spoke to me. Another I was transported to a Clan in the middle of the forest, hunting, collecting cloudberries, and learning mage magic. I wonder what that could mean.
Bring! Shrieked my alarm clock at 8 o’clock. I stretched and yawned. When I was fully awake, I leaned back onto the bed post, trying my best to remember. Slivers of the dream came and left. I grabbed my note book and wrote everything down. Done, I looked it over. Yes, it seemed right. Then it struck me. A ravenous hunger. Great. What perfect timing, joked Bluemoon.
“Oh shut it,” I muttered, grabbing my towel. The shower had always been my place to calm down and relax. Whenever I cried, I would run into the shower and resume my crying. It felt good because the water drops could shower me with their tears, making me feel better because I felt I wasn’t alone. Today, when I was washing my hair, I noticed something. In the wall was a little orifice that I never noticed since we got here. I spent a minute gazing at the little crack with scrutiny, fingers feeling it. Suddenly, I felt something. After a few moments, I managed to get it out. It was a little dust ball, but after continually rubbing it with water and soap, a beautiful gem appeared. Carved into a diamond shape, the sapphire glowed with its own light. Inspecting it, I found a strange marking on the other side. It was a circle with complicated markings inside it surrounded by four triangles. This thing looked so familiar. Then I remembered why. They were the same color and shape as the pair of sapphires that had been watching me for so long. I finished washing myself and got out quickly.
About time, too. Grouched Bluemoon. I’m starving
“Your starving can wait until you see this.” I dashed to my room, sitting at my desk, I inspected it more.
What now? Bluemoon asked. You look like you found a rare gem.
“I actually did,” not looking up. “Hey, do you know what that means?”
Let me see. I handed it over. She took a sniff and touched it with her nose. The gem suddenly exploded with light. When the light faded away, the gem had changed shape. This time it was a lotus with the same marking on its center petal.
I knew it, sighed Bluemoon.
“What is it?”
You’ve heard of the Four Guardians of the Seasons? You know, Venecassa the Guardian of Autumn, Slicar the Guardian of Summer, Biltar the Guardian of Spring, and Ryshoata the Guardian of Winter, right? It has been retold in many of the myths of the amazing power of Hyohouka, which means ice fire, the Gem of Winter. In one myth, the last one to mention the Gem, it was said that Iostra believed the power was too great for anyone to keep so she took it and ran away, never to be heard again. No one has ever found it until now. I must keep it to make sure it really is the long-lost Hyohouka. Go now, I’m hungry. I reconciled and left the room.
A while later, I came back with a tray of raw meat for Bluemoon. She was still lost in the contemplation of the gem.
“Well?” I asked, leaning over. “Did you find anything?”
I found, she began. That this truly is the Hyohouka of the legends. Look at these gouge marks. I tried to carve in the sign of Destiny. Instead, it just melted into the stone and reappeared on the other side with the exact same sign as the one on the front, Ryoshota’s sign. This could be bad. Hyohouka must never fall into the hands of another mortal.
“I quite agree,” came a voice from the corner. Kohaku stepped out, smiling. “I think Destiny really favors you, Iostra, to find such a priceless gem. But we cannot keep it here. You must travel to the land of the elves, Elven’s Glade. I’ve already packed your things. Hold Hyohouka in here.” He held out a sumptuous draw string bag. Dropping it in, I placed the gem inside my pocket. Leaning down, Kohaku whispered into my ear, “May the gods watch over you, please come back safely.” And we kissed and embraced. He touched my fore head with two fingers and I suddenly knew how to get there. Transforming, I soared out of the window.
The memories were over. Here I was, standing on top a hill over looking Elven’s Glade. Turning back, I went to my camp and fell asleep under the golden stars. When dawn rode across the sky, I tied a diadem made of soft cloth over my forehead, marked with the sign of peace. I few over the city of Elven’s Glade, slit pupils searching. Spotting a great oak tree towering over the other trees, I pushed a little further and landed among the branches. Dropping down, I went to the side of the tree, knocked three times and spoke in Draikmier.
“Srpag krev wsned (Greetings from a traveler).” The bark opened a crack and a beautiful woman melted through. She was tall and slim with blue-green skin. Her pointed ears poked out from a sheet of silky blue hair. She wore a dress made of what looked like a cross between seaweed and silk.
“Welcome, young traveler.” She bowed and I did likewise. “What brings you here to Elven’s Glade?”
“I have come to speak with Master Sui. I have brought him a priceless item.”
“Very well, please come in and rest while I call him.” We both melted back into the bark into a large room. I sat down on the floor and waited. Moments later, a young man came in. He was tall and muscular with long green hair that reached to his thighs. His skin was also a blue-green and he wore a robe of black with gold trimmings.
“Welcome,” we bowed at each other and sat on the couches that were made of branches. “I am Master Sui. Lankana tells me that you have brought me priceless item. May I see it?”
“Of course, Master,” I pulled out Hyohouka and his eyes widened. “I found it a few sunrises ago. Kohaku told me to bring it to you.”
“Ah…yes,” he said absent-mindedly, inspecting the gem. “Kohaku was a former student of mine. Yes I remember. A smart one he was. Amazing! This really is Hyohouka! Most people thought it lost for centuries! Magnificent!”
“Thank you, Master,” I bowed my head. “Kohaku has told me to give it to you. Now I must take my leave. Thank you and may Destiny smile upon you.”
“Oh,” he jerked his head up. “Yes, yes. May the spirits light your path.”
Soon, I found myself at the top of the hill, taking one last glance back. Sensing a presence, I spun around and met two sapphire eyes. I had finally met the eyes. It was a huge wolf. Muscles rippled under smooth white fur. The wolf was so big I could ride it and my feet couldn’t touch the ground. I could feel the immense power of this creature, but I drew some power into my hands, preparing to attack.
“Put your magic away,” he growled. “I don’t intend to fight you.” Wearily, I did as I was told. “Well, though you had much ineptitude along the way, you have done well. I had been watching you since you became a Dracomancer and I am impressed with I saw. But it isn’t happily ever after yet. You are going to enter a stage of siege against the trolls, ogres, and many more. You must gather followers soon. Good job on recruiting the elves and dragons. Next, you must persuade the mermaids, pixies, and get as many followers as possible. You still won’t be able to win through because the leader of the other side is a most powerful man. Some call him the Bloody Lord of Darkness. He has a powerful weapon. So, I shall bestow a weapon to equal his. Come over here.” I did as I was told and he breathed into my hand. The cold breath formed into another sapphire with the same marking of Winter. “Here. Take good care of Hyohana, the Ice Flower of Winter, and may the gods light your path.”
I finally found my voice. “Hey,” I called out. “I didn’t even ask your name!”
“Ryshoata,” standing on his hind legs, the wolf transformed into a handsome man. He had sapphire eyes and white-blue hair; crystals glittered on his long white robes. “Ryshoata, the Guardian of Winter. Now, go. Go with my and Biltar’s blessing.” And with that, he dissolved into nothingness.
“Mataku,” I muttered. “Well, it was fun. I’m going home.” So, with Hyohana in my pocket, I marched straight on. Straight into the many folds of my destiny.

© 2008 Aldora Sparrow


Author's Note

Aldora Sparrow
Any suggestions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think there are many good ideas in here. You have the beginnings of an interesting story here. I do have a few criticisms here though. First of all, you started out your story using present tense and after a paragraph or two, switched to past tense. Also, I am not entirely certain you understood all the words you used in this story, or used them in the correct form. Imbecile is a noun, the form you should use in this case is imbecilic, which is an adjective. Also, you can't say you blundered something. You can say you blundered through something or made a blunder, but it didn't work the way you used it. Also, at one point, you used rectangular when you should have used rectangle. I also think you should look up the words diadem and exponential. I think you could find a better context for both of those. I wouldn't say these things if I didn't already know that you can do exceptional work. Keep working on this. Like I said, you have some great ideas and I have absolutely no quibble with your creativity. I just think you need to work a little on the mechanics. Keep up the good writing!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I think there are many good ideas in here. You have the beginnings of an interesting story here. I do have a few criticisms here though. First of all, you started out your story using present tense and after a paragraph or two, switched to past tense. Also, I am not entirely certain you understood all the words you used in this story, or used them in the correct form. Imbecile is a noun, the form you should use in this case is imbecilic, which is an adjective. Also, you can't say you blundered something. You can say you blundered through something or made a blunder, but it didn't work the way you used it. Also, at one point, you used rectangular when you should have used rectangle. I also think you should look up the words diadem and exponential. I think you could find a better context for both of those. I wouldn't say these things if I didn't already know that you can do exceptional work. Keep working on this. Like I said, you have some great ideas and I have absolutely no quibble with your creativity. I just think you need to work a little on the mechanics. Keep up the good writing!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

178 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 6, 2008
Last Updated on December 12, 2008

Author

Aldora Sparrow
Aldora Sparrow

About
I have been writing for longer than I can remember, but it was only during 7th grade did I start to write outside of class. I am still inexperienced and I love helpful comments. I love to write fa.. more..

Writing