Why I like you

Why I like you

A Story by Aldora Sparrow
"

Can't say it's my most shining work. I'll do some editing when I am in the mood. Otherwise, hope you like it!

"

Why I like you

The one reason that makes me perfect…

 

It is suffocating, yet it is a warm and comforting sort of feeling. I feel the heat rise from my body and the small tiled room for a moment, savoring the pleasant sensation. The showerhead still drips unevenly even though I turned it off a minute ago. It is an odd habit, standing in the shower for a moment in the heat of a hot downpour. After carefully sliding the tinted glass door open, I run a towel over my face. It is Saturday. Late spring. So far so good. I shake my ear-length black hair out of my face.

Few minutes later, I lazily slump down onto the couch and, hair still dripping into the towel over my bare shoulders, flick the TV to life. I chew a piece of bread as the morning news flashes on.

When I turn on the TV,

I often wonder why I still do this, turning the TV on first thing in the morning. Hadn’t I learned already? The same neat woman I see every morning, face passive as ever, moves onto the next subject.

“Today, a fifteen-year-old girl was murdered,” she states, her voice bland as the wall behind me. My stomach churns uncomfortably. “Gun wounds and knife marks indicate a fight…”

I hear news of the world that makes my shoulders droop and gloomy.

Just in two sentences, all energy seems to drain from me, leaving me an empty shell of misery. I lean my head back and cover my eyes with an arm. This was the reason for my depression a little under a year ago. It was slight at first, but then I started to notice the changes in me. I shiver. Fifteen years old…that’s how old you are.

Ring! I jump suddenly. I take a moment to calm down. It is in vain. The moment your name flashes across the screen, my heart goes into overdrive, beats resonating through my bare chest. Flipping open the phone, I fight to keep my voice even to be coherent.

“H-hello?”

“G’morning!” I can’t help but smile, appreciating the clearness and freshness of your voice. All sadness from heartbeats before is long forgotten.

Your voice is very clear this morning...you heal me without having to fix anything.

“It’s Saturday, ya know.”

“How could I not?” I said, ruffling my moist hair.

“Same place, but it’s your turn to lead. I’m all yours.” I can almost feel your wink.

“Heh, don’t worry. I’ve got it all under control.” Then I, slightly reluctantly, press the END button. A smile still lingers on my lips.

Moments later, I hang my bag across my right shoulder, feeling the comfort of the familiar weight on my left. The door clicks shut behind me, locking away all sadness. Tilting my face towards the sun, I wait a moment. Such a comforting warmth…then I am off. My journey of a thousand miles just began.

The one reason that makes me perfect, makes me live, makes me laugh is having you.

The wide streets are already filled with people bustling around. Ten o’clock seems to be late for many this morning.

Bump! “Sorry, my bad,” falls out of my mouth automatically. The older man glares at me for a moment then continues his aggressive argument on his cell phone. I bow my head a little, tugging the rim of my hat down with it. I let out an audible sigh.

Even if many people don't acknowledge me,

Stuffing my hands into my jeans and straightening out my back, I continue on my way.

I straighten out my shoulders and be more confident.

My phone rings again. “Your time limit is almost up,” your laughing voice fills my senses. Just as you say that, I catch sight of a wave of familiar shoulder-length oak brown hair. That figure that leans easily against the lamppost. Then your eyes meet mine.

Your gentle smile, your captivating eyes.

“10…9…8…” as the numbers tick away, the distance between us gets smaller. Suddenly, I am just an arm-length away. “…5…”

Wrapping my arms around your waist, I lean down and kiss you fully on the lips. That mouth immediately stops chattering. “I still have four seconds.” I whisper teasingly. I gaze deeply into those eyes that shine in the afternoon light like the glimmering lights of a city at night.

When you, when you silently look into my eyes,

“You win,” you admit with an exasperated sigh. After a long unhurried moment, I reluctantly let you go. You take my hand and a blush warms my cheeks in the spring wind. You catch my fleeting expression and let out a clear laugh. I can’t help the twin from being born in my throat too.

And laugh, you make me laugh too.

“Hey,” you ask, threading your arm though mine and linking us together. “Are you supposed to be out?”

“That,” I say with a wink, “will be our little secret.” You just shake your head, unable to hide that grin upon your lips.

My one and only person...the person that I love

Striding down the street, I can’t help noticing how beautiful you look. The make-up that slightly paints your eyelashes and lips is just enough to look good. “I love you,” you say, bright eyes reflecting the unconscious feelings.

When you say "I love you, I love you, I love you!"

“Well, I hate you, you beautiful enchantress.” I tease back. We both know that I full-heartedly don’t. How could I hate an angel?

You make me believe…a bit more than the beginning…

 

The day flies by so quickly that I wonder if there is someone controlling our time together. Not wanting to leave yet, we sit under a tree, feeling the descending night. Without a word, you lean against me. A warm shock flints through me.

When you come beside me and lean against me, I gain strength.

“Do you love me?” you murmur, eyes closed.

Your weird words that are sometimes unpredictable like the weather.

Leaning down, I press my lips against your cheek, pulling away just before you can respond. “Stupid question of the day.”

I do, I do, I do, yeah.

You fall silent, head on my shoulder. After feeling your even breath, I wonder if you are asleep. Taking a chance, I bend my head down a little and whisper in your ear, “I love you, just as you are.”

To my surprise, your hand touches my cheek and the next thing I know is the feeling of your lips against mine.

The person that is so close to my heart is you.

Wrapping my arms around your shoulders, I pull you in, tilting my head for a deeper fit. I revel in the way we fit together.

The reasons that I've come to love you even more today.

When we break apart, I still hold your shoulders, not wanting to let you go. Your eyes hold mine stronger than usual because of our closeness. They glow and convey the feelings deep inside you.

This kiss is much gentler and lighter yet it still transfers the fire that blazes through us. There is no need for words. My heart just beats with yours. Sadness in all its forms shies away from us, from your gentle presence. The setting sun wraps us in its celestial glow, smiling just before it falls below the hills.

The reasons why I like you.

 

 

© 2010 Aldora Sparrow


Author's Note

Aldora Sparrow
Original song: Why I like you by Super Junior (I do not own Super Junior (Though I'd be happy as heck if I could) or the italicized lyrics)
Any suggestions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
Added on December 22, 2009
Last Updated on February 11, 2010

Author

Aldora Sparrow
Aldora Sparrow

About
I have been writing for longer than I can remember, but it was only during 7th grade did I start to write outside of class. I am still inexperienced and I love helpful comments. I love to write fa.. more..

Writing