Part II

Part II

A Chapter by Aldora Sparrow
"

At the hospital

"

Part II

 

“You want to go back to the hospital?” Lavi asked incredulously. The funeral was over and they were together in the empty park, still wearing their formal clothes. Her shoes sprawled on the ground as she leaned against the bright plastic wall of the jungle gym. Standing behind her, Lavi pushed his rolled-up sleeves higher above his elbows and loosened his tie.

She swung her dangling feet back and forth. “He wasn’t killed by some weirdo, Lavi,” she said, feeling the rough bumps rub against her face. “I want to meet the doctor who treated him and find out how a spirit wolf grew from his body.”

He stood there for a while, slowly digesting her words. Then, without a word, he jumped lithely down. Turning around and reaching his hand out, he smiled up to her. “Wherever you go, I will follow,” he said simply. She felt a wave of gratitude for him. Taking his hand, she slipped into his waiting arms. For a moment, he held her close to him, deep tawny eyes searching her face. She was suddenly aware of their closeness and an unconscious and sudden flush warmed her cheeks.

Seeing her expression, he bared his teeth in a wolfish smile and set her down. Standing close enough for their shoulders to almost touch, they walked out of the park, steps in sync.  Silence draped its cloth around them, holding them close together, but still separated. No words were needed as both saw the ghost of the beaming face of their lost friend against the afternoon light.

She inwardly groaned when the tall form of the hospital glared over the other buildings. Involuntarily shivering, she took a deep breath before stepping onto the clean floor of the hospital. She always hated it, any hospital in general. The whiteness of the walls and floor and the stink of cleaning medicines. She adverted her eyes. This place was a healing place for some but also the coffin for others. Some left healthy and some never would see anything else than the sickly white walls. But Lavi’s strong presence beside her had a calming effect on her so she felt her body relax just enough.

The young secretary behind the desk immediately recognized her, flashing her a smile of recognition. This woman was the one who often took her to her mother’s sickroom over a year ago. She also noticed the other woman eye Lavi with interest and felt a little twinge nick her. The older woman nodded in the direction where the doctor was waiting.

He was lanky and had a lined face, especially around the lips where he so often frowned. His dark hair was slicked back. He bowed a little. “Hello, I am Dr. Mallory, the doctor that was in charge of your friend Azazel.” He continued in an almost mocking voice and with fake sympathy, “I am most saddened with his untimely passing… Please, come this way. So we can speak in peace. ” He led them to a closed off conference room.

He indicated for them to sit in a pair of stiff wooden chairs. After settling down at a much larger and more comfortable chair behind the desk, he leaned forward and rested his sharp chin on his hands in a position that told her to speak. So, with a deep breath, she explained everything to the best of her ability and Lavi was quiet most of the time, interjecting now and then.

Dr. Mallory soaked in her words with a strange look upon his lined face. When she finally finished, he got up and poured a steaming mug of bitter-smelling coffee, without bothering to offer them some. He sipped the liquid a little before answering. Silvestra’s hand clenched as he spoke to her like she was a paranoid child that just claimed seeing a monster under the bed.

“You say a…spirit wolf, did you say…came from my patient’s body when he died?” She nodded stiffly. A look of fake exasperation, he shrugged and shook his head. “Impossible. We’ve X-rayed his body during his stay and found a few broken ribs.” A smirk curled his lips. “No wolf, of any sort.”

She couldn’t take the humiliation anymore. Clenching her fist and teeth, she stood up, dark eyes flashing. Lavi rested a restraining hand on her shoulder. “Whoa there, Silv,” he murmured soothingly in her ear. He must’ve sensed the hopelessness of convincing the doctor for he said, to him, “I’m sorry for bothering you and we greatly appreciate your help,” he said, ignoring her growling protests. “Silvestra is still hurt by our friend’s death, so please excuse her.”

“Understandable,” he said, but, from his expression, he might have just well said, “Humph. Stupid girl.” He scanned the younger pair one more time then with a word of goodbye, unceremoniously slammed the door behind them.

“That jerk!” she fumed, unable to hold it in anymore. “That old creep didn’t take me seriously!” She rounded on Lavi. “You! Didn’t you see him? He treated me like"”

Without warning, the feeling of intense hatred filled her senses again and the same scent made her cringe as the buried memories flashed in her mind again. She whipped around and caught sight of an elderly woman walking past Lavi, wise orange eyes bright. She wanted to say something as she passed her, but nothing came forth to her lips.

Blood suddenly spilled from the other woman’s mouth and she crumpled to the ground. Silvestra’s cries echoed down the hall and Lavi yelled for help. Like a movie, white fire bloomed from her back, freezing the very air, and another wolf spirit stepped from her limp body. Its orange eyes met hers and, this time, she fell into darkness.

Her mind flashed to a past memory. Mother, wan and sickly, gazed pitifully up from her bed. Tears rolled down their faces as Father told them that he had done everything he could, used every resource he had, but it wasn’t enough to save her mother. The end was chosen and Mother wasn’t going to get better…Then there was a flash.

Silvestra was in a swirling blue-gray mist. The silence seemed to close in on her lone figure, slightly suffocating. Her long hair moved around her warm body in an unfelt wind. Then, echoes of pawsteps attracted her eyes forward. Just beyond the fog, a dark shape shimmered. It formed itself in to the blue-gray body of Daciana. Her intelligent silver eyes were as piercing as they were in reality. She stopped just out of her reach, watching her curiously.

“Silvestra…”

A faint voice calling her name made her perk her ears up and she tried to find the source. It seemed to come from somewhere close but outside the dream-world she was in. She glanced at Daciana, hoping for an explanation of sorts. Her silver eyes were suddenly sad. Padding towards her, she pushed her muzzle against her collarbone. The moment she touched her, Daciana’s form dispersed like smoke and disappeared into the rolling haze.

“Silvestra…Silvestra…Silvestra?” Lavi’s voice gradually broke through her dream-vision. She slowly opened her eyes. at first, she only saw the blank ceiling. A warm presence drew her heard to the side. Lavi, kneeling beside her, held her hand with a worried expression. He seemed to breathe again when she smiled at him. He steadily helped her sit up.

“Lavi,” she said. His eyes softened in response to his name. “Lavi, I…I had a dream…and, it was horrible…” she struggled to string her thoughts together into rational speech.

Trying hard to understand her, he opened his mouth but a gruff voice cut over him. “Please relax.” She couldn’t help a glare from piecing her eyes as the dark form of Dr. Mallory came forth. Checking her temperature, he pulled out a shot. “Here, just one more...” she was surprised by the sort of gentleness in his voice. She shook the thought away.

Glancing towards the door while he did his quick work, she noticed some doctors crowding outside the room, watching his work. Before she could make anything of it, Dr. Mallory was striding away and Lavi was at her side again.

“Are you alright?” he whispered, tawny eyes searching her eyes for an answer, some sort of a confirmation. “Today’s been hard on you…”

She nodded. “I feel much better for some reason.” And she did, much to her surprise.

His hands were gentle as he helped her up from the bed. As they walked out, she couldn’t help looking over her shoulder to see Dr. Mallory deep in conversation with the other doctors. He caught her eye and a smirk crossed his face.

“Oh yeah,” Lavi started, drawing her eyes back to him. “Your father stopped by earlier to check on you. He wanted me to tell you that he isn’t coming home tonight. He mentioned he had some big project to work on or something…” Her only response was a slight nod, but her mind wasn’t in what he said.

A commotion sounded in the lobby. People were running back and forth and some barked to others as a bed with a bloody body was swiftly rolled to the emergency room. It still wore the helmet of a motorcyclist, masking the person’s face. She silently watched him roll noisily by. Lavi eyed the body briefly before glancing away, no doubt remembering Azazel.

 

Silence rolled awkwardly between them as they walked down the familiar stony path together. Her head buzzed with thoughts. Azazel…the motorcyclist…Dr. Mallory. Fury stiffened her body as his mocking face entered her mind. But, the kinder side of herself argued, he could be not as he seemed. She remembered the sort of kindness he displayed as he treated her.

Lavi strode beside her, hands in his pocket and observing her every movement with a strange look on his fine features. “You know, Silv,” he said, breaking her concentration. “Since your father said that won’t be back tonight, would…would you like me to stay with you…not to do anything bad!” he added hastily in his defense when she stared at him.

She blinked a little then smiled at him. “Thank you for everything you’ve done for me, Lavi,” she whispered, eyes meeting his. “I would appreciate your company.”

He blushed a little. “Come here,” he said huskily, opening his arms. Without hesitation, she closed the distance between them and wrapped her arms around him. In the closeness, she noticed how tall he was, how wide his shoulders were. Her head seemed to fit perfectly in the nape of his neck.

When did this happen? She thought, heart skipping a beat. He smelled really nice too. She had always known him, practically living with him. She was acutely aware of his strongly muscled arms encircling her waist. She briefly remembered their earlier catch-embrace and the strength in his hold as he enfolded her. His quickened heartbeat resonated through her and matched her own. She suddenly felt very secure in his warm hold. I hadn’t felt like this when Azazel held me, she thought. I wonder what the difference was

Then, with an embarrassed cough, Lavi let go. As she felt his arms slip from her waist, she felt a sting of disappointment. He turned around, but not fast enough for her to see the blush on his face, and strode away. She grinned and followed him to the garden in front of her house.

The first thing she noticed was the silence that cloaked the whole place. Normally, Daciana would come bounding in to greet them with her long tongue lolling out.

“What’s up?” Lavi asked, watching her search the place.

“Daciana isn’t here.” Her voice was distant and slightly muffled as she stuck her head through the thick mane of a willow tree. Her dream-vision popped in her mind again, but she pushed it away. It was only a dream…wasn’t it?

“She’ll be fine, she always is,” Lavi assured her.

She slowed down. It was true. “You’re right,” she admitted. “Her kind is the strongest and most adaptable…”

His expression became thoughtful. “I’ve always wondered what breed she is.”

She didn’t answer right away. She fingered the leaf of a nearby tree. “You know how we used to breed dogs? When Mother was alive?” he nodded, red-sienna hair falling into his eyes. She closed her eyes as her memory soared. “The cubs were strong, but, as a test for sturdiness, we would put them into the wild for a month. The ones that survived got sold to good families.

“Then Father discovered a rare wolf breed on a trip. With his influence, he brought a male back and mated him with our sturdiest female.” A small smile touched her eyes as she was lost in her world of memories. “The babies they produced were far better than the others. Strong and extremely intelligent and adaptable…But, when Mother died, Father sold the others, but kept Daciana because I was attached to her.” She trailed off, remembering the sadness that overwhelmed her that was still fresh.

Lavi, susceptible as ever, sensed the sadness. He glided over and, touching her arm lightly, murmured, “Let’s go inside.”

The moment they stepped inside the house, she covered her nose and mouth as a too-familiar scent filled her senses. It was the same as the one she smelled on Azazel and the elderly woman that died earlier. This time, she knew what it was. It was the scent of wolf.

“Lavi?” she said, sharply. He looked up from the kitchen doorway and she met his eyes. “I’m going back to the hospital. Tonight.”

 



© 2010 Aldora Sparrow


Author's Note

Aldora Sparrow
Any suggestions?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

another great chapter

Posted 14 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

216 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 23, 2010
Last Updated on January 25, 2010


Author

Aldora Sparrow
Aldora Sparrow

About
I have been writing for longer than I can remember, but it was only during 7th grade did I start to write outside of class. I am still inexperienced and I love helpful comments. I love to write fa.. more..

Writing