Alas Poor Elvis, We Knew You Well

Alas Poor Elvis, We Knew You Well

A Story by Jessica Fox
"

The title of this short story may actually be funny but in reality it is about a puppy I had that was poisoned by a neighbor. I'm going to make it as short as I can and tell it from his point of view.

"

    I was in a cage in a dark place when she came in and I smelled her, she smelled like dirt and other dogs. I went up to the metal and licked her hand then barked at her, she smiled and I wagged my little tail hoping that now I would finally have a home. Someplace warm to sleep and maybe play with the other dogs. I was so alone, cold, and so alone I haven't seen my mother in weeks, the man in the white coat had a sharp needle and they were looking very sad.
    I watched as the lady went away and felt my little heart sink, I'm hoping that I can get a home I heard from the other puppies what happened to us if we weren't taken to a new home. They said you disappeared into a back room and that you went to sleep and never came out. I looked sadly through the wire mesh of my prison and saw the girl come back with the man who fed me, I stood up and barked again and wriggled happily into her arms, she was warm and I knew I was finally going to be home.
    We drove for a long time and I slept next to her the whole way while she stroked my fur and played with my tail. She called me Elvis and Piglet, I guess because my tail curled like a pig tail. We finally came to my new home and it was a big farm house with a family next door that had little kids. I could hear my new pack mates barking from the house and I was a little scared but the lady held me tight and I knew she wouldn't let anything happen to me. We walked into the house and I was overwhelmed by bigger dogs and they sniffed me and pawed me but they accepted me into thier pack and I ran around with three dogs and we were great friends. I slept with her and protected her whenever some one came into her room and even though  I knew them she was mine to protect.
    One day we were outside playing and I found something in the neighbors yard that looked good, my other friends said that I shouldn't go over there because they weren't nice people, they had two dogs that I sometimes saw but they were in a small enclosure and never were let out to play with me. I kept sniffing at the thing in their yard and it looked like something my two legged mommy fed me. I saw the neighbor man looking at me from inside the house and he didn't look friendly. My three friends were barking at me to get me to stop but the object just looked too tasty. I picked it up and swallowed it but then instantly knew I shouldn't have.
    I followed my friends back into the house and I wasn't feeling too good now, my stomach felt like it was really hot and it was really hurting me. I looked at my mommy hoping she would know something was wrong but she couldn't tell. She pet me then walked out the door, I started feeling really sick and really tired I walked up the stairs and laid on the floor by her door hoping she would come home soon. I waited and waited but no one came and I felt myself becoming sleepy and I was in a lot of pain. She came home and saw me lying there I couldn't wag my tail and I knew she was sad.
    We ended up going to see the man in the white coat he listened to my heart which was barely beating and I saw my mommy's face and she was crying, I tried lifting my head to lick her face and tell her I will be ok but I couldn't I was in pain and my stomach really hurt. I heard her sniff real loud and say something to the man in the white coat, I knew I wasn't going to be able to be saved, I felt really sad but was happy that at least I had a few weeks with her. I felt the coolness of the needle and the coolness of the liquid as it went into my body I saw my mommy with tears on her face as I closed my eyes and went to sleep.
    Now I'm in a place that is really bright there are some new friends here that say they knew my two legged mommy and that she too was their mommy. I'm sad that I had to leave her and I knew that something broke in her heart that day but I hope she knows that I watch over her and still protect her even if she can't see me. I'm also with a two legged man that gives me love and pets me he is sweet and he smells like my mommy, the man says he knows her and that he watched her grow up from a little girl to the woman she was when I left her.

© 2008 Jessica Fox


Author's Note

Jessica Fox
ignore grammar problems

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is very sweet, and touching. I truly enjoyed reading it.

A.M.



Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

150 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on June 24, 2008

Author

Jessica Fox
Jessica Fox

City of Fallen Angels, NJ



About
Check out my new Booksie Site booksie site The new single Automatic by Tokio Hotel I'm on Twitter, so yeah if you want to follow me just go here to follow my Twitter Please order our new book The.. more..

Writing