Crossing the Lake (781 words)

Crossing the Lake (781 words)

A Story by Not here

A group of fisherman were out one night in the middle of a humungous northern lake. It was the early night, as the sun was still setting. In about half an hour, it would be pitch black except for the flashlights that the four men held in their hands, inactive for now.

All day they had been out there on the waters, and despite their persistence the fish had not given them anything to work with. Forget having caught nothing; these fishermen hardly had a bite or even a nibble from the fish. All of this had made for a stressful day and a much-anticipated night, when they expected their luck to turn more favorably.

“Billy, what time is it?” the first fisherman asked.

“I don’t know! Where’s your watch, J?” he answered.

“It’s right...oh. Actually I don’t know. It might have fallen in the water. Do you have it, Mars?”

“What?” Mars asked sleepily.

“You can’t fall asleep again. Last time you fell in the water,” J mocked him.

Billy answered, “Well maybe if he falls in he can look for your watch, since nobody else has any clue what time it is.”

“Hey, it’s not my fault!” J exclaimed.

“Then who’s fault is it, dipwad?” Mars asked without really expecting an answer.

Jim, the only one who had not given his opinion yet, broke the silence, saying, “Shhh.”

“What is it, Jim? You gonna give us another one of your ‘prophecies’ ?” Mars questioned mockingly.

It was nearly dark now, so Billy turned on his flashlight and pointed it at Jim’s face, which he saw was staring up at the dark sky. When Billy followed his gaze up to the sky, however, he noticed it was not entirely dark. Little specks of light stood out from the rest, and what he first assumed were stars continued to grow brighter and larger.

“What are those?” Billy stuttered, afraid, even though he did not exactly know why.

“Huh?” J and Mars both muttered as they also looked upwards.

All four of them stared up and muttered amongst themselves, shocked and confused. Partly, they felt afraid, mostly because they were the only four people on this lake or anywhere near it. Whatever was going to happen, they would be forced to face it alone.

Within minutes, the lights began to be recognized as a small, hovering, circular object. It remind J of the alien spaceships from older movies, except this one was a lot more real and a lot brighter. Nearly the entire underside was filled with lights of all different sizes and colors, blinding the fishers below as they tried to look up.

Suddenly, the lights shut off. Even with the flashlights at the brightest setting, they could not make out what was going on overhead, or even if the strange flying thing was still up there. Where could it have gone?

“I betcha that we just imagined it,” Mars, always the optimist, said.

As soon as the words were out of his mouth, a moaning wail began to come from the shore of the lake. Jim called out towards it, but there was no answer; the wail continued to echo across the lake to them. Then, from the opposite side of the lake, another moaning wail began. WIthin a matter of minutes, the whole world seemed to full of the ungodly sound. Left, right, north, south, up, down: every direction was filled with it, the noise of a thousand demons tearing into the very hearts and souls of the helpless, hopeless men in the middle of the lake.

The noises came closer to them. Soon there was nothing else to hear or think. Their minds were overcome with the gruesome, horrifying sound that brought back every bad memory and every cruel thought. All their lives flashed before their eyes, but only full of the bad and the miserable and the harmful and the deadly and the fearsome. These creatures or sounds or whatever they were had created the very definition of fear.

In the hearts of them, the soon-to-be-dead, nothing mattered anymore. They knew what would be their end, and how it would happen. They were helpless to stop it, and hopeless to avoid it. Death was inevitable and the painful, gruesome way in which they would come to their end was the culmination of reliving every fearful thought or feeling ever experienced in their entire life.

Soon enough, their fears were realized as the monsters began to walk across the water towards them. Now, only feet away from being devoured, the four men gathered together one last time.

The fish were not biting tonight, but the aliens were feasting.


© 2015 Not here


Author's Note

Not here
This one is a little lacking, and not quite as long as the others, but I hope you enjoy it all the same. My next story will be released at the same time that I release The Alphabet: Volume 1, which is a collection of my scary short stories, with a few of them being updated and a few paragraphs added to certain stories. Thanks for reading, please review below :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That is really good. I love the last line The fish were not biting tonight, but the aliens were feasting. Great job :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Not here

8 Years Ago

thank you very much :)
KittyKatgirl

8 Years Ago

Anytime :)
Freak! I love this story! The dialogue is great and then the suspense leading up to a killer last line.
"The fish were not biting tonight, but the aliens were feasting." - that is awesome.
:)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Not here

8 Years Ago

wow i havent looked at this in like forever...thanks for the review though :) i always appreciate th.. read more
Stan Lee

8 Years Ago

OK. I will do that. I was drawn to read this story because the title said (781 words) ... Short stor.. read more
Not here

8 Years Ago

thats good :) some of mine are longer but you can just read them in two parts or something. idk
David that was a very good story... If you keep writing like this you might become a writer sooner than what you expect..lol.. I will keep reading your works & keep up the good work!!!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Wow David, you're an awesome story teller! Man but what twist you gave to this story at end, it made me shiver (Thanks, now I'm not going to sleep at night :p Jk Jk xD) Anywas, awesome story, that way you started so calm was awesome because it really didn't give away nothing from the story, then as the story processed, I was cought in by the moaning sounds. I was like: Oh no, whats going to happen now? xD
Then you add the aliens were having a feast and I was like: Damn boy, that put me thinking xD
Anyways, awesome write my friend :)

Posted 9 Years Ago


Not here

9 Years Ago

lol i really appreciate it lizardo :) thank you alot
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
dan
David, Hey this is quite good, had me gripping my chair, white-knuckled (a little exaggeration, not much). I just want to hear the details of how they were brutally slaughtered, how far the blood splatter was, which limbs were torn off first...if you go to see a horror movie you root for the bad guy/monster/undead, whatever right? So if I read that aliens are descending on a boat with 4 fishermen shitting their pants, I want details! (kidding...) This was very well written, david. You organize your thoughts very well and tell a great story, not too rushed, not too slow, just the right pace. You may have considered this a little lacking, but I didn't. Nice job. take care...dan

Posted 9 Years Ago


Not here

9 Years Ago

thanks dan :) i really appreciate it. i'm glad you liked it. thats the most important part because i.. read more
dan

9 Years Ago

One of the first poems I posted in January when I joined WC was what I thought was a throwaway. I ju.. read more
Not here

9 Years Ago

thanks and I definitely agree with you. thats a great example

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

418 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 29, 2015
Last Updated on March 29, 2015

Author

Not here
Not here

WA



About
welcome more..

Writing
Midnight Midnight

A Chapter by Not here


Morning Morning

A Chapter by Not here



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


#fearless #fearless

A Poem by Not here


Legacy Legacy

A Poem by Not here