Chapter Two: The Lady

Chapter Two: The Lady

A Chapter by Not here

“Bubby, Bubby, look!” Lilly shrieked.

Michael turned around, facing the shelf full of stuffed animals. Immediately, he groaned, knowing she wanted to buy even more, adding to the extensive collection at home. She saw him put a finger over his mouth and instantly shrank her voice to a whisper.

“Can we get it? Please?

She was very cute, even for a little six-year-old. Everyone in the town said so, sometimes to her face. Depending on who it was, she would cower behind Michael, or relish the compliment, smiling wide and showing her best side. Admittedly, she was adorable, with red curls falling like a waterfall just past her neck and a face which seemed to be dotted with two little dimples permanently. The truth was, Lilly constantly smiled, always finding a reason to, no matter the weather or time of day. She was not just a morning-person; she was an all-day, every-day person, and it wore Michael to pieces, but he put up with it and loved her all the same.

Ever since their mother had gotten pregnant with Lilly (and nowadays Michael wondered about that a lot, being the age he was), Michael took on a special responsibility, keeping the house in order when his mother could not. When Lilly was born, he immediately bonded, and by the time was ten had seen much too many dirty diapers. She grew up even while he did, and learned that her “Bubby” would always be there for her. While Michael grew to a be a hard-working, humble young man, she grew into a little princess, occasionally showing the snappy attitude that often accompanies the post-toddler years.

Despite all of their faults and oddities, the Walker family, only three-people strong, enjoyed a happy life, unaffected by the political scandals and worries of big-city folks. They lived together, in one unbreakable bond, and that was just the way Michael liked it. He would not trade his family for the world.

“Um, maybe. How much is it?”

Lilly looked at him in surprise. She never thought to wonder how much it would cost. Such a pretty, pink elephant should be given away for free, never costing anyone anything. “Well, not much,” she said, hoping he would not notice the mischievous smirk she tried to hide.

“That smile says different, little lady,” he joked, amused. Digging through his wallet, he found a twenty dollar bill and some random change. “Here, lemme see it.”

He checked the price tag and looked down at her with an incredulous gaze. She saw the look of disbelief, and hurriedly said, “Grace has one; it’s really good.”

Grace was her best friend, and Michael’s best friend’s younger sister. Brandon and Grace lived up in Hardy, only a few streets away. Their families had been great friends since they both moved here years ago.

“Well, we can’t get ice cream if we buy this,” he warned, hoping it would change her mind. Ice cream sounded good on a hot day like it was.

She thought intently, scrunching her eyebrows together, before answering, “I choose...Pinky.”

“His name’s Pinky?”

Her name’s Pinky. ‘Cause she’s pink, see?” Lilly stuck the elephant up as high as she could.

Michael lifted her by the arms and carried her on his hip over to the counter. She’s getting too big, he thought with a chuckle. They went over to stand in line, waiting for the handful of customers to buy their toys from the kid’s shop.

Everything seemed to be bright, rainbow colors in this strange world. Every inch had a toy, and every toy had a highly-priced tag stuck to it. A small train-track on a table stood farther back, where Michael had spent many days when he was younger and his mother came here to shop for children’s things.

“Excuse me,” someone said to Michael.

He looked over and saw a slightly hunch-backed, gray-haired woman, whose lips were squirming back in a smile, drawing wrinkled skin along with them. Her eyes were strangely empty and entirely black, it seemed. Maybe that was just the light’s reflection. He hoped so.

“Can I help you?” Michael asked nervously.

“Young man, I’d like to know the name of your sister there. She is such a cutie.” For extra emphasis, the old lady pinched her cheeks. Lilly just smiled and buried her face in Michael’s shoulder, escaping the sharp fingernails of the lady.

“Um, I’m sorry, but I’m not allowed to tell you. I don’t know you,” he added hesitantly.

“Oh, but I know you. Yes, I do. So please just tell me; I mean no harm.”

“I can’t,” he said a little forcefully. He felt Lilly giggle and looked down, asking, “What’s funny?”

She kept laughing quietly, and the lady smiled even wider. “What a wonderful girl.”

Michael said, “I need to go now.” His heart was speeding up, and the line seemed to be moving at an agonizingly slow pace. He began to turn around, facing the line.

The lady stretched out one clammy hand and grabbed his shoulder, with fingers digging into his skin. He winced, and turned back as she said menacingly, “Tell me.”

“I’m sorry,” he said, shaking his head. Shrugging her claw-like hand off, he put his back to her. The line was gone now. Stepping up to the counter, he placed the elephant down and turned around to tell the lady to go away, but she was gone just like that.

Shocked, he asked the balding man at the counter, “Where’d she go?” while jerking his head back to say who he was asking about.

“Who, son?”

“That lady back there; where’d she go?”

The cashier looked at him with lowered eyebrows. “I can’t say who you mean.”

“There was an old lady and she talked to me.”

“I’s ringing up an item and didn’t see ‘er. What’d she say?” he asked while shoving the elephant into a bag.

“Asked for my sister’s name,” Michael answered hesitantly. He was still peering around the store, certain she was lurking behind some shelf, waiting to catch him off guard.

“Don’t know, son. Be careful, ‘ey? There’s some weird folks out ‘ere.”

Michael nodded, thanking the cashier, and took the bag. While he walked out of the store, he looked over his shoulder one more time, and saw nothing unusual. Another customer was being helped by the worried-looking man, who scratched at his frizzled, unkempt beard. Other customers perused the shelves, often bargaining with their children on what they wanted. There was no lady lurking, and no uncomfortable strangers staring.

“Who was she?” Lilly asked when he put her down outside, a bit reluctant to let her go still. That woman had shaken his nerves to the core.

“Nobody,” he said. “Probably won’t even see her again.”

“Okay, Bubby.”

They walked along the busiest street in Marcy, with shops on all sides and a small playground just ahead. After browsing through the windows for about ten minutes as they made their way closer, Lilly took off running to the swingset and Michael followed at a walk. She loved these swings, and any swing she could get her hands on. The entire afternoon would be spent pushing her back and forth, unless their mother came to pick them up after shopping or Lilly collapsed from laughing so much.

Back and forth, back and forth; the swing flew to the front, before cascading towards the back. Her hair flew in the same direction, sometimes running into her face like a red, dazzling waterfall, other times whipping out behind her like a cape and hitting Michael in the face. Lilly laughed the entire time, every once in a while almost falling off, before regaining her balance.

Michael sputtered his lips and said, “Ugh, you got your hair in my mouth.”

“I didn’t...do it,” she cried between bursts of giggles. She had almost as much giggles as smiles throughout the day.

“Look at me!” she cried out in joy.

Across the street, standing in a musky alleyway, leaning against the wall, stood a lady with a very wrinkled face and light, gray hair. A hood was draped over head head, concealing her in shadows. She heard the little girl cry out, saw the older brother pushing her, and said in a whisper, “Look at you; look at you, my darling.”

She saw their mother pull up in a small car with crumpled bumpers, and a long scrape along the side. Their mother called out something, and after one last, big push and swing, they piled into the car quickly, the little girl climbing in the back where grocery bags were visible. In the rearview mirror, she could just barely see the older boy laughing, until his eyes saw the mirror and, in the reflection, saw her.

With one quick movement, she shot her hand up and pointed towards them, before turning swiftly and disappearing into the darkness.

Inside the car, Michael gasped quietly, goosebumps pimpling his arms. Lilly was saying something to his mother, and in a moment he felt his mom tap him on the shoulder while they waited for traffic to pass on the main street.

“Who’s this woman Lilly said you met?”

Michael stared into the rearview mirror still, wondering where she had gone. With a shaky voice, he answered, “Nobody, mom. Probably just a lonely old woman.”

“She asked for my name,” Lilly said a little proudly. Her pink elephant was having its ears twirled and shaken by her small, feeble fingers.

“Did you tell her?” Michael’s mom addressed him.

“No; she gave me the creeps.”

His mother nodded and said, “Good. There’s some weird people out there.”

Michael did not say it out loud, but thought to himself, Sometimes they’re more in here than out there. Not so far away.




© 2015 Not here


Author's Note

Not here
Tell me what you think below :) Suggestions, corrections, and critiques are encouraged and readily listened to.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

this was a bit scary, but otherwise everything else is good as u kept writing on, :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


This is great and a little creepy. The old lady gives me the creeps and I feel protective of Lilly just like her brother is. The way you described Lilly is sure to make the reader fall in love with her that has what made me protective. I can't wait to read the next chapter. There was one mistake when you said 'him mum tap him on the shoulder'; 'his mum tap him on the shoulder.' Great job :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Not here

8 Years Ago

thanks crystal :) ill fix it
seems the book has taken a new direction
at least imo

the way it began i was unsure that there would be a horror element
but you have taken the reader by surprise, as you seem to be very slowly incorporating it

i compliment you again on your voice in the story, its awesome

enjoying this still

-Dream

Posted 8 Years Ago


Not here

8 Years Ago

yeah i suppose so. idk. writing a book is different, because if i put a "scary scene" per say in eve.. read more
closed

8 Years Ago

that method seems to make sense
at least youre aware of it
Not here

8 Years Ago

yeah i suppose
Another scary shiver. Such an air of menace and anticipation. Your style is amazing. I really, really liked this one.
I didn't understand the last line though... idk.. maybe you can help me. :)

Posted 8 Years Ago


Not here

8 Years Ago

thanks for the review and i appreciate it :) and i was trying to say that when people think, "oh the.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

407 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 28, 2015
Last Updated on August 19, 2015
Tags: Mystery, Book, Story, Scary, Thriller, Horror, Stories, Scary Stories


Author

Not here
Not here

WA



About
welcome more..

Writing
Midnight Midnight

A Chapter by Not here


Morning Morning

A Chapter by Not here



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..