Dear Danny (chapter1)

Dear Danny (chapter1)

A Story by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
"

This is the rough draft of the first chapter to the sequel to my debut novel "Deadly Anniversary" The only one I will post here. Just giving a taste of my newest novel.

"

Dear Danny,

 

I know this must be a shockforyou to hear from me.  I haven’t seen or talk to you since Susie’s funeral.  Her death hit me hard and like many I thought you were the one who had killed her.

I know now what a huge mistake it was.  Though I am sure it won’t mean much coming from me now and long overdue apology is in order.

I am sorry.

I hope you understand that giving the circumstances at the time I jumped to conclusions.  I mean even though you claimed to be just friends you seemed to have an obbesion  with Susie.  Her last boyfriend said he saw you peeking around corners watching her.  I mean what was I suppose to think.

Of coarse now I realize that was his jealousy that drove him to make up those things.  I should know because I ended up, ready for another shock, marrying him.

Yes you read correctly, I married Edward Stoolman.  We bonded after Susie’s death and after graduation ended up falling in love and getting married.

I am getting off topic, again let me apologize for accusing you of her death.

I read about what happened to you a few months back, again being accused of murder.  I almost believed it but then came to my senses. 

I am truly sorry for your loss and am glad that you were exonerated and the true killer was found.

It is unbelievable to know that it was your own flesh and blood that killed your girlfriend.  I can’t image how that felt.  The betrayal from your own bloodline.

Look, I am going to be up in that area in a couple days for business and was wandering if you would like to get together and talk about old times.

If you don’t I would undertand.  But I would really like to talk and make amends. 

Please let me know so we can make arrangements before I head up that way.

 

           Sincerely,

                                       Marcia

 

Danny wasn’t sure how just long he stared at the email before he was jolted back to his place and time.

“Hello, anybody in there?”  Stephen Hawks stood there snapping his fingers in Danny’s face.

Danny shook his head as if trying to dislodge the shock from his system.  “Sorry, was just reading my email.”

“Reading?  Look more like you were hypnotized by it.  Or you were trying to hypnotize your computer.”  Hawks set at the edge of Danny’s Desk.  “What is going on?”

“I just got an email from Susie’s old roommate Marcia.”

“Susie,” Hawks eyes bulge out of their sockets.  “You mean the Susie you were friends with in college?  The one that was murdered?”

Stephen Hawks was one of the detectives that investigated the murder of Danny’s girlfriend Debbie a few months back.  In fact was the one that convicted him before he and his now ex-partner began investigating.

His ex-partner Jermaine Willows tried to be the voice of reason in the matter, but Hawks remained his jaded, stubborn and hardheaded self throughout the investigation

It was Hawks who looked up Danny’s past without his partner, now ex-partner knowing about it. 

That is where Stephen learned about the death of his college friend Susie and how Danny was a suspect in that murder too.  There were claims of Danny being obsessed with her and jealous of her dating others.

That had fueled Hawks belief that he had his guy.

Eventually it came to light that Debbie and Danny’s brother Harley had set him up to make Debbie’s parent think she was finally dating a nice guy.  Harley then killed her after she actually fell for Danny and was going to leave Harley and start a real life with his brother.

       “Yes, that is the one in the same.  Oh and thank you for your sensitivity in the matter.”  Danny went back to staring at the screen debating whether to reply.

       “Sorry man.  You know me, too blunt for my own good sometimes.”

       “Okay.  Sure.”  Danny waved a dismissed hand at Hawks then pinched his nose and closed his eyes.

       “That’s what you get for staring at the screen for too long, a headache.”

       “I don’t have a headache.”  Danny opened his eyes, sat back as he watched Hawks sit down at his own desk.  “I am just contemplating.”

       “”Contemplating what?”  Hawks replied.

       “She want to meet up when she comes up here in a couple days.  Just debating on if I should or not.”

       “Wait, if the name rings a bell, isn’t she one the people that accused you of the murder.”  Hawks shook his head.  “You can’t be serious bout doing it.”

       “Why not,” Danny retorted.  “That was a long time ago.  Ancient history.”

       “Is it?”  Hawks replied with an inquisitive look on his face.

       Danny stood up without saying a word and headed towards the door.

       “Where are you going?”   Hawks asked.

       “To get coffee, you want some?”

       Since opening their detective agency six months ago they have done little to spruce it up.   Walls still white, no pictures hanging.  Two desks with rolling desk chairs and four wood chairs for clients to sit on.  Not even a refrigerator for snacks, not a coffee maker.

       “Straight black,” was Hawks response.  Before Danny could shut the door he added, “Hey kid, you have gotten a bit of an attitude since we started this agency.”

       Danny stuck his head back in, “And you’ve taken more interest in your work partner since we opened.”

       Before Hawks could retort Danny shut the door.

      

 

Neither of them said much since Danny returned with the coffee.   Just a thank you from Hawks for getting the coffee.

Hawks sip his coffee while filling out some paperwork.

Danny let his coffee just sit there and get cold as he continued to stare at the email.

Hawks finally looked over his should at his partner, “For God sake, just tell her you will do it.  You know you want to.  Although I can’t imagine why.”

Danny contemplated for another minute before doing what Hawks suggested.  Not because he was doing what he was told, but because Hawks was right in that it was what he wanted to do.

It took less then five minutes to respond, asking when and what time.  Said she’d be in the area Sunday night.  He replied that maybe they could get together Monday evening after he finished up with work.  Even though being his own boss and could make his own hours he felt he needed as much time as possible to think about what he wanted to say to her.  After all it was only Friday morning.

She expressed that she was hoping to meet earlier but Monday evening was fine.  She was staying at the Courtyard in Stockton.  Though she expressed she’d meet him halfway Danny insisted to drive up and meet at the Applebee’s Restaurant on March Lane in Stockton.

Danny spent the rest of Friday trying to keep his mind off the sudden visit from a ghost of the past by getting lost in work.  He went over the details of an infidelity case they were working then headed to court to testify on the case.

Back at the office he and Hawks were wrapping up the day by going over how Danny’s testimony went.

“I get you wearing suits when you are in court or when you were an account, but why here in the office?  This is our business we can wear what we want.”  Hawks let out a little chuckle.

Danny was wearing is favorite blue blazer suit with a baby blue shirt.  Hawks was in his usual t-shirt, black today, and faded blue jeans.

“Well I would like to see you wear something a little more professional.  We do have clients come in, we want to look presentable and competent.”  Danny retorted.

“For God’s sake lighten up.”  Hawks leaned back in his chair and propped his feet on his desk, right crossed over the left.  “I figured after all you went through you’d be a bit more loose, a go with the flow kinda guy.”

Danny shrugged his shoulders.  “ Hey I have loosened up.  But I still feel we need to look professional.”

“We are P.I.s, not bankers.  Thank God.  Couldn’t take that excitement.”  Hawks smirked.

“That is funny.  Haha.  I am laughing so hard I can’t breath.”  Danny placed his hands on his abdomen.

“Look at you, you do have a sense of humor.  There is hope for you yet.”

“Can we just finish this?  I want to go home and start the weekend.”

“Oh, got a rowdy game of scrabble going on this weekend?”  Hawks replied tilting the chair back further, feet still on the desk with his hands across his chest and a smug look on his face.

Danny shook his head and ran his fingers through his hair.  “Whatever.”

They finished up and went to their homes with a half hearted see ya and  a forced good night.

 

 

 

Danny’s weekend was full of too much thinking, a lot of fidgeting, a whole lot not doing what he needed to get done and plenty of tossing and turning.

As Sunday evening rolled around Danny felt overly tired and extremely hungry, cause the weekend also included a lack of appetite.

Danny finally got the energy to make a pot of spaghetti using store bought sauce and processed noodles.  Normally Danny enjoyed make dinners from scratch, but tonight wasn’t one of them.  That is why he kept such items handy, for nights like this.

He sat in front of the television, also something he rarely did.  Danny figured it was a good way to try and take his mind off tomorrow.

As he ate he began flipping through the stations until he came upon the seven o’clock news.  He was glad that the new year was in motion because he didn’t have to see anymore holiday specials or commercials.

The news had its fill of murder, theft, sport and weather, not to mention a sweet story about a puppy that helped a disabled kid finally find some happiness.

As the news was winding down a story came on about a murder that took place in Palo Alto, California on Saturday.

First thing that came to Danny’s mind was the death of his friend Susie.  Then he nearly choked on a Noodle when a picture of the victim came on the screen.

The face was a little older, but there was no mistaking the ugly mug.  It was Edward Stoolman.  He didn’t hear a word they said for a few second until, “His wife Marcia Stoolman is a person of interest, the police are still searching for her.”

 

© 2016 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh quite surprising ending here! I am not really qualified to read long pieces, but I always love simplicity and your style whether on poetry or here is simplicity. All the best in your newest novel ✨

Posted 3 Years Ago


The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

3 Years Ago

Thank you so much for taking time to read thiss. I am finally starting it back up again.
lightsong

3 Years Ago

You are welcome my friend, all the best for You ✨

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
1 Review
Added on August 29, 2016
Last Updated on August 29, 2016

Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing