Dying To Live

Dying To Live

A Story by The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

          Private Ronald Stanley kneels behind the jeep he was riding in moments ago in a convoy that was tracking across the Iraqi desert before their convoy came under attack. Sounds of gunfire and people shouting filled the air. He peered out from behind the jeep assessing the situation. All his Army brothers were all taking position behind their vehicles to take cover and getting ready to return fire.

 

 Next to him was not only a brother in arms but also his brother from another family. Sam Whitaker joined the service at the same time he did nearly two years ago. They didn’t know each other before they enlisted. They didn’t hit it off right from the start but time, serving together, going through training, and deploying to the same base in Iraq brought them a friendship that time would not be able to touch.

 

Ronald flashed back to his time before joining the service. Life was simple. His days were spent working for a janitorial service, though a noble job it was just something to make money for him. Nights were spent going to all the local clubs to have drinks and pick up on ladies hoping to score one-night stands. Whether he scored or not the mornings still left him feeling a vacancy inside.

 

He knew a big reason for the emptiness was because things were too easy for him, but he was lost on what direction he wanted to take in his life. His dad was constantly pressuring him to join the military just as he had many years ago, but it was not something that caught Ronald’s interest until one night he was watching a special on ESPN about Pat Tillman, a football player for the Arizona Cardinals who gave up his football career to serve in the Army after the 9-11 attacks on the United States.

 

He couldn’t pinpoint exactly why it inspired him. He figured it had to be the selflessness of giving up a sports career to defend his country, then his life protecting America’s freedoms. Whatever the reason he heard a voice from within saying, “This is your calling.”

 

Ronald was snapped back to reality by the team leader commanding orders to fire. It was hard to see the targets with the sun in his eyes. He took aim in the direction of the enemy fire, aiming for silhouettes on the ridge of the hill. Everything was happening so fast but he could see some of the shadows falling and also heard the cries of his brothers getting shot.

 

“I can’t get the best angle for shots on this side of the jeep!” Sam shouted.

Ronald glanced around. “Here, I will cover you so you can take cover in the ditch over here.”

 

Sam nodded.

“Ready,” Ronald took aim and began letting off a round of shots. “Go!”

Sam ran behind him and jumped into the ditch. They glanced at each other then set their sights on the enemy and continued shooting.

 

It felt like forever but eventually, the firing ceased from the other side. They were then ordered to cease firing. As they waited for their leader to access the situation Ronald took a deep breath. This was his first real combat since joining the Army. He had been through drills, target practice, and patrols but had never been under attack or fired at a real person. He had worried about how he would react the first time something like this would happen, wondering if fear would cause him to freeze up.

 

Though fear did grab a hold of him the moment they came under attack a sense of purpose trumped it with courage.

 

“Nice work,” Sam said.

 

“You too partner,” Ronald replied.

 

They both smiled.

 

“We are clear.” Their leader exclaimed.

 

Ronald stood up and Sam hoisted himself out of the ditch.

Suddenly what sounded like a war cry sliced through the desert. Ronald turned to see a man in the distance with a rifle aimed at Sam. In a flash, he stepped in front of his brother, aimed and fired.

The figure went down. His entire unit ran towards him as Sam screamed, “No!”

 

Ronald felt numb and hazy. He finally looked down to see a red stain on the chest of his uniform. He looked up then fell to his knees. He felt Sam grab him by the arm as he began to fall backward.

 

As he lay there looking up at Sam he felt his hand being squeezed. Sam shouted, “Hold on brother. Don’t you leave us.”

 ∫ut Ronald said his final words in Sam’s ear and closed his eyes for the last time.

 

Two weeks later at a cemetery in his hometown of San Antonio, Texas his family and friends gathered to pay their last respects. The newspaper and strangers who heard the story call him a hero; his loved ones called him their brave angel.

His unit were the only ones not in attendance because they were still overseas continuing to do their duty in honor of their fallen brother. Sam though had a long talk on the phone with Ronald’s father telling every detail from that fateful day and how he is forever indebted to the family for the heroic efforts of their son saving his life.

Kind words were spoken, great stories were told and flowers were placed on his grave. When everyone parted to move on with life, his parents stayed behind, holding hands while staring at the tombstone. Though they were both filled with grief they both let out a little smile as they read the final words their sun said to Sam engraved in stone.

It read, “Do not mourn for me. For this will not be the day I die, but rather the day I truly lived.

 

© 2023 The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Powerful and moving and the end lines brought a lump to my throat. Great story telling Cowboy. All the best.

Chris



Posted 5 Years Ago


The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much, the last line was the bases for writing the story.
A powerful tale. Soldiers do amazing things in combat.
“Do not mourn for me. For this will not be the day I die but rather the day I truly lived.”
The soldiers, who live. They must tell the tale of brothers lost to war. Thank you my friend for sharing the amazing story.
Coyote

Posted 5 Years Ago


The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

5 Years Ago

Thank you for taking time to read and comment. That line was the bases of the story.
Coyote Poetry

5 Years Ago

I have lost good friends to war. Us, who lived. Must keep our brother's memories alive and you are w.. read more
I can't remember ever reading a story from you! What a pleasant surprise, I hope you will grace these pages with more stories in the future. Good job of keeping it simple like an allegory to convey many life lessons, as your poetry often does. Good details & strong storyline & good use of dialogue to keep this story compelling & yet done in a relaxed way, no need for a bunch of gory details. You show everything that needs to be shown without going overboard with drama (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

5 Years Ago

Thank you Margie. Actually I have a few more on here, just been a while since I wrote one. I actua.. read more
barleygirl

5 Years Ago

I know what you mean. The stories do take a much bigger commitment . . . I've been trying to sit mys.. read more
a poignant vignette of comrades in arms ... they are the only ones who truly understand what that is .. the courage under fire that seems to appear from nowhere moves unsuspecting heroes to action .. the tragedy of loss made in sharp relief by your character, Ronald Stanley in his first fire fight losses his life and saves his brother's ... first sentence is a bit "run on" and there are a few others down the page ;) i would have liked more details of the desert ... smells of diesel fuel .. heated air ... etc. ... saying Iraq does conjure things but "showing me" would involve me more ... strong story and character building ... could use more "showing" in the scene .. extremely emotive and well timed ...we all at the least have relatives who have been there ... a fine salute to Veterans and families sir! and that's my opinion ;)
E.

Posted 5 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

338 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 16, 2018
Last Updated on July 20, 2023

Author

The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool



About
Birth name: Dale Deadmond Born November 20th, 1969 Metaphorically speaking music is my BFF and poetry is my soulmate. This is my world of my favorite poets are E.A. Poe, Dylan Thomas, R.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..