Happiness

Happiness

A Poem by Anthony Q Armstrong

Happiness




Happiness is relative,
Happiness is a virtue.



Sadness is life, 
Full of broken hearts,
but mended wounds.


Don't let my happy front confuse you.
Deep inside,
In the lie I must call my life,
It scratches and claws the weak spots in my mind.

People think the words happy and joyful describe me,
But my past is so vivid it makes my future wicked.
The pain and regrets made me who I am.


Depression is my style,
The style of the dead.



Look me in the eyes and say I'm alive and Happy.


- I dare YOU.

© 2012 Anthony Q Armstrong


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

Anthony Q Armstrong
What do you think, I got really bored and depressed the other night.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I for one think that yes your pain and regrets made you who you are but who is to say that is a bad thing? The greatest people in the world are pushed by their pain. It gives us inspiration and drives us to do better so we aren't hurt again. Great piece keep it up

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Anthony Q Armstrong

11 Years Ago

It's hard to not be hurt again after you have been hurt once. People can find different ways to get .. read more



Reviews

I think every one of us have those days when we feel like what you have said in the poem Anthony. Hope this passes away. Well written.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Two words my friend raw emotion. You can feel it in your words and all around within this poem. You tell the reader about yourself: your past, present and how you see the future. It spoke to me as Im sure it does every person that reads it. Impressive work.

-Writer *78*

Posted 11 Years Ago


You are so young and write of such pain. You really pull that pain out in your writing and hope it releases some of it. I know that it does for me..

I like the style and I do feel I know exactly what you are saying as I have been their myself.
Therefore...... GREAT write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


very personal, and I really like the "i dare you" at the end, very nice.

Posted 11 Years Ago


wow, so raw and well written. I couuld relate to it. People say I'm happy and I hardly tell them how very wrong they are at points. I loved the last line, so powerful and haunting in away. Nice work!
God Bless:)
~Mickey

Posted 11 Years Ago


Depression is a demon I fight daily and sometimes minute by minute. Pasting on a smile gets to be exhausting.Writing is a great battle ground for laying it out. Keep it up.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I loved this; you are truly a young soul and in time will learn what to do with the pain others inflict on you. To self-preserve is such a trick to play, depression, loneliness, being misunderstood all common side effects, and then we think great as if I didn't already have enough on my plate. What does it mean to be happy anyways? Happiness is a fleeting emotion, nothing to build a house on anywho. Contentment, now that’s the real stuff. I love that you wrote this as sadness and pain are as real and as valid as the other. Depression is; your soul making you slow down so you'll listen to it. Always good to write when you’re depressed! Excellent write!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Anthony Q Armstrong

11 Years Ago

Thank you
Look me in the eyes and say I'm alive and Happy.
- I dare YOU.

nicely done!! i enjoyed the dare at the end.


Posted 11 Years Ago


..."Sadness is life, Full of broken hearts, but mended wounds...."

For me, this sums up the important underlying messgae of this piece. The pain is obviously overwhelming. But you deal with it, pick yourself up, mend your wounds and move on. There is a quiet, unspoken strength to this. I found it quite inspiring!

Posted 11 Years Ago


You think? In this civilization everyone's life is a mixture of happiness and pain, anxiety and joy. And since we're all imperfect, with a trail of poor decisions, we are going to have regrets. You should be happy and satisfied with your imagination and writing ability, if nothing else.

Posted 11 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

712 Views
16 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on July 31, 2012
Last Updated on July 31, 2012

Author

Anthony Q Armstrong
Anthony Q Armstrong

Chapel Hill, TN



About
Honestly, I am not much of a person. I have been writing poetry, it coincides with my life, since I was little. Most of what i write on here is to express my slef, and make myself feel better. Being a.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..