the old buckeye tree

the old buckeye tree

A Story by Deborah Leah Krempa

 

The old buckeye tree


A Story by debileah
"
just a little story
"

The old buckeye tree still stands on Elm Street and Park Avenue. Out in back of the alley of my house, she stands five trunks wide and she's grown so very tall. Soon the time will come to cut her down. When she was young her branches were strong, now she's withering away with age. Her home use to be an old lover's lane, now they call it "Beer Can Alley". If trees could talk she'd have so many stories to tell. She remembers well when she lived in the woods, in the days of her youth from just a seedling.

 

Then as time went by she grew roots and sprung forth from the ground, nesting birds in her branches, and a home for many a frolicking squirrel.  The old buckeye tree stood through the test of time, when as the winds of time did change. Houses sprung up on all four sides, and the alley became her new found home. They once built a garage beside her, which housed the "Krempa Constuction Company". They worked in sandstone and cement, paving sidewalks and streets, and foundations for homes. She stood the test of time once again. The business eventually folded and over the years she still stands. Just an old tree in the middle of the city, she still brings forth her buckeyes each spring. She's weathered rainstorms, lightning, thunder and heavy snowfalls. She's still a beautiful tree when she's in full bloom. I'm really going to miss her and the stories she could tell. For when the tree cutter's come for her tomorrow, it will be a sad day for this old woman's memory. I'd much rather she fell by natures hand than that of a man.


 
© 2008 debileah


 

© 2008 Deborah Leah Krempa


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a beautiful and yet sad story. I enjoyed the creativity in this piece. Nicely done!

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is just a wonderful and beuatiful write.
enjoyed this write.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This truly is beautiful. I love how you compare the tree to that of an old woman. You took a simple subject (an old tree) that many would find insignificant to write about and created something quite meaningful. I now look at trees differently :]

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

this was nice, I liked the way it was written, nostalgic without becoming trite. the only improvement I can think of is that it could stand to be a bit longer, and a few parts could be fleshed-out. namely the trees history and the old woman's relationship with it. but all-in-all, a solid piece.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So beautiful, the story of the life of a tree. Very gracefully done. Great write.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

171 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 8, 2008

Author

Deborah Leah Krempa
Deborah Leah Krempa

Toledo, OH



About
I am grandmother,.. My children and my grandchildren I love them all so very much. They are my gifts from my creator, the blessings in this life. I simply adore poetry and the .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..