a tribute to my son

a tribute to my son

A Story by Deborah Leah Krempa

The funeral home was flying old glory, she stood at half-mass in honor of my son for he was a U. S. Marine. He spent six years in the service, four of them stationed in Oka Nowa, Japan. He met a beautiful Japanese girl, her name was Gina and they fell in love. However she was promised in marriage to someone else and stayed with her family's tradition. Robert was heartbroken when he returned home to the United States. He was going to make a career of the Marine Corps but came home in 1995 on a Humanitarian Discharge, honorably so...to help out at home since his mother became ill. His father died shortly after his return to the states. Bobby had three sisters to take care of, until his mom was able to get back on her feet.  Robert spent time in bootcamp twice, since he had broken his foot during his first stay. So he became a Pvt 1st class, the second time around. When he came home he was Lance Corporal. Robert was very family oriented, yet it seemed the time had come for him to find his own way in life once again, starting over; he moved to Austin, Texas after meeting some new friends on-line. He drove down to Austin in a beat up old car and 30 dollars to his name. He got down there and lived off of ramen noodles, beef jerky and koolaid for six months, while looking for work. He stayed with friends not wanting to sponge off of their food supply. He found work at Radio Shack, became an assistant manager, got an apartment with a few other friends, gamers, as he loved playing video games such as dungeons and dragons, and everquest. He later landed a job with Sprint telephone service and a 3rd job with Walden books. He was a very hard worker and had set very high standards for himself as far as goals in life. He lived in Austin for eight years before returning home to his family in 2006 in Toledo, Ohio. Robert had a run of bad luck, lost all his jobs, and due to the economic situation could not continue living in Texas. He considered reenlisting in the Service, but had the idea on hold. Robert enjoyed gaming seminars with friends, and just hanging out with his chosen few. He came to befriend a dog who is half coyote; he named him Sasha, whom became his constant companion. Robert came home to live with family and then returned to Austin in 2007 for six months, he was not able to find work once again, unable to pay the rent, he was once more determined to head back to Ohio for work. Robert was homeless for about one month, working day labor, and dining in soup kitchens for the poor. This was an experience he would never forget. Finally calling home, his mother sent him a bus ticket and he did return home. Bobby stayed with his cousin for almost a year before he was killed by a drunk driver on his way home from work with friends. He had gotten a job at McDonald's restarant and had just become a top Manager. He had just bought a new car and was getting his driver's license when fate struck. Robert died saving a little boy's life. The drunk driver hit head on collision as they sat waiting for the light to change at the intersection. It was horrible, the car caught fire, the little boy's mom also died, and the father of the child was critcally injured. My son tore off his seat belt and barracaded his body over the child to lesson the impact. That is how my son died, head injuries were too great. Ironic, I remember how he use to call me in the middle of night sometimes with migrane headaches. Just something I recall. I miss him so much. Robert was a good man, a sober man, who had a zest for living. He knew how to plan for his future, to set and accomplish goals, no matter the setbacks he would tread on and find a way to succeed. He loved children, though he was not given the chance to complete his life, find a good woman to make his wife and have children of his own. His life was cut short, and it isn't fair. I guess I just hope that my writing about him is not in vain, and that someone out there, will read my words, take heed, and not drink and drive, use a designated driver, or toss the damn keys away. Also friends don't let friends drink and drive. Let's help keep each other alive.

© 2008 Deborah Leah Krempa


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

That was beautiful.

Posted 14 Years Ago


This is one of those moments in life when I don't know what to say.

Inspite of your grief, you have managed to write it the way some people need to read it with a clear message in the end.
I believe, this piece is going to save some precious lives.





Posted 16 Years Ago


I remember reading this before. I remember the story as clear as day. It was wonderful story and written perfectly. I love how you are able to draw a read right in and never let go of their interest. I am glad to see this has returned to be enjoyed by others. Thank you for sending this my way.


Well Done!!!!!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a very touching and insight piece about a human being that did not die in vain. You did your son proud with this. I sure sense the pride and love of a mother. Rain..

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Great write. The font and no breaks made this a hard read, but I know you are flowing emotions with both valves wide open on this work

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Oh Debileah, my heart goes out to you. This is so beautiful that words can not express it. I could feel your love and pain. Wonderfully penned and great job. I hope too that it helps someone.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 15, 2008
Last Updated on November 23, 2008

Author

Deborah Leah Krempa
Deborah Leah Krempa

Toledo, OH



About
I am grandmother,.. My children and my grandchildren I love them all so very much. They are my gifts from my creator, the blessings in this life. I simply adore poetry and the .. more..

Writing