Wildwood

Wildwood

A Poem by Deborah Leah Krempa

Wildwood Park is beautiful this time of year

With it's lovely trees, as they stand lingering

Trees blooming forth blossoms and leaves

 It's wonderful in the spring

The trickling of tiny waterfalls across rocks

along the Maumee River's stream

And I, remembering you

As a child playing on the swings

Running through these woods

innocent and carefree

And I, remember you

As a man walking this trail with me

just a few short years ago

Just before the winter's snow

We didn't realize it would be the last time

We would walk together down this road

We didn't know the angel's would come so soon

To take you home

As I walk this path alone now

I realize how precious our moments really are

Yes, Wildwood Park is beautiful this time of year

 

 

 

© 2008 Deborah Leah Krempa


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Very few poems on this site move me. In fact, I really can't think of any. But when I read this piece, I literally felt my lower lip quiver and tears bubble up into my eyes. Maybe it was just the fact that, like you, I'm very sensitive to the ambiance of places (especially ones that have a special place in my past) or maybe, again like you, I too know the pain of having lost a loved one so recently (as you know from having commented on my "Autumn Leaves" poem), but more likely it was heavy doses of both.

You retain a very calm demeanor in this poem, yet you are proof that silence can speak louder than words. Despite the seemingly bucolic calmness of this piece the reader can very easily feel the sadness that you feel for your departed as you walk along the lonely paths that you and him used to share. What's especially great is you don't use any cliche imagery of darkness (night fall, demons, evil, pallor things, graves, skulls, etc.) in your poem. If anything, the imagery is quite up beat (waterfalls, blossoms, leaves, etc.). But in the same way that black always looks blackest when put up against a the whitest of whites, this seemingly happy imagery only intensifies the pain that permeates this piece like a river through a paper damn.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Beautiful,so much emotion,so very sad,you make me feel terrible that you have to experience this pain,t's very well written over all.

Posted 16 Years Ago


this poem evokes certain emotions and memories that readers can relate to

great form and rhythm, good use of words.

This is a good piece

Posted 16 Years Ago


Oh I love the woods and some of my most precious memories were made in such places. =) Great write, to look back with fond reflection is surely a great gift to treasure a lifetime...
Wonderful.
Love
Me

Posted 16 Years Ago


This is beautifully sad...
I mean, this is really so good and I felt very sad after reading it :(
Very heart wrenching write!

Posted 16 Years Ago


Very sad piece debileah. A reflection on happy times, of your son, before he passed. Thinking about Springtime and the hopefulness that comes from a long winter, walking the same path you've walked for years. Yes, this piece is hopeful, sad, and filled with true feelings. Cheers! Rob

Posted 16 Years Ago


Mmm... quite beautiful. You use your imagery very well... this poem is quite provoking. Well done!

Posted 16 Years Ago


And so is this poem...beautiful in everyway...Really nice work :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


Such a bittersweet piece. The beauty of the surroundings and memories you describe interwoven with your loss. It's a powerful combination.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Very few poems on this site move me. In fact, I really can't think of any. But when I read this piece, I literally felt my lower lip quiver and tears bubble up into my eyes. Maybe it was just the fact that, like you, I'm very sensitive to the ambiance of places (especially ones that have a special place in my past) or maybe, again like you, I too know the pain of having lost a loved one so recently (as you know from having commented on my "Autumn Leaves" poem), but more likely it was heavy doses of both.

You retain a very calm demeanor in this poem, yet you are proof that silence can speak louder than words. Despite the seemingly bucolic calmness of this piece the reader can very easily feel the sadness that you feel for your departed as you walk along the lonely paths that you and him used to share. What's especially great is you don't use any cliche imagery of darkness (night fall, demons, evil, pallor things, graves, skulls, etc.) in your poem. If anything, the imagery is quite up beat (waterfalls, blossoms, leaves, etc.). But in the same way that black always looks blackest when put up against a the whitest of whites, this seemingly happy imagery only intensifies the pain that permeates this piece like a river through a paper damn.

Posted 16 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

It hurts to read this Debileah.

I'm lucky. I haven't experienced anything like this.
When I visit certain places or see certain things, I'm reminded of people I associate with those places & things. But all these people are those I have lost because reasons not-beyond human control. Even then, I feel very sad when I'm reminded of them.

It is truly hard for me to understand what one feels when they lose a loved one to death. Your writing has introduced me to this bitter reality. Perhaps I should make the attempt to spend more time with those I have around me...

Painful but brilliant write, as always.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

236 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on April 16, 2008
Last Updated on April 16, 2008

Author

Deborah Leah Krempa
Deborah Leah Krempa

Toledo, OH



About
I am grandmother,.. My children and my grandchildren I love them all so very much. They are my gifts from my creator, the blessings in this life. I simply adore poetry and the .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..