Danny and the cemetary

Danny and the cemetary

A Story by Deborah Leah Krempa

When my brother-in-law Daniel came home from the war in Vietnam

he was changed, his personality wasn't the same. I know he'd been through and seen too much for his young age.  Danny kept photographs of graphic details of the war and the children, and he took to becoming  a severe alcoholic and prescription drug addict.  He swore up and down he had agent orange and would die from cancer. Instead he died from a heart attack caused by the pills and the alcohol.

 

Danny loved animals so when he came home from Nam he bought a dog and then he started taking in strays, dogs and cats. Then he let them interbreed and he let them keep having litters until his father's house was ruined by animals and foul odors. The dog's were like a pack of wolves, the strongest male being the most domineering and at times they would fight over territory. It was sometimes a terrifying experience to witness.

 

There were times my husband would have to go to his father's house to stop the dog's from fighting as Danny lost control due to his drinking which he would drink for days and weeks on end. He loved to take the dogs for walks late in the evening through the cemetary where he spent much of his time with them, letting them run free to roam about the place.

 

But one night his favorite dog got hit by a car, Danny cried and the veteranarian wanted to put Midnight to sleep, have him euthenized. Dan wept and begged his father to buy the dog a wheelchair, in which he did.

Midnight was still the leader of the pack.

© 2008 Deborah Leah Krempa


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sad story, I've heard too many stories of those in war coming home and not being the same. It's not a good thing for soldiers so young. Great write.

Posted 15 Years Ago


This was very sad! I think you did a great job of writing something so realistic!

Posted 15 Years Ago


This is something realistic and frightening. It showd that most times, the darkness from within is just as frightening as the darkness from without...

Posted 15 Years Ago


What a sad story. I am so sorry about your brother.
My husband was in the Navy then and part of his aircraft carrier blew up off shore-he's sort of mental and has to be surrounded by dogs and cats. We have a herd and a pride in our house. BUT I clean up after them and use a lot of discipline.
His best friend died of Agent Orange and my husband is a recovering alcoholic. He became an alcoholic and drug addict while IN the Navy.
That war did a lot of damage outside the warzone.
And-look what is happening now! The same things are going on in families because of the wars overseas.

Posted 15 Years Ago


WOW this is a touching story. You have such talent. Your work leaves me at a loss for words alot of the time

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 14, 2008
Last Updated on May 21, 2008

Author

Deborah Leah Krempa
Deborah Leah Krempa

Toledo, OH



About
I am grandmother,.. My children and my grandchildren I love them all so very much. They are my gifts from my creator, the blessings in this life. I simply adore poetry and the .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..