The Shelter

The Shelter

A Chapter by McBear
"

Paragraphs are spaced because it was easier for me to edit them that way.

"

Ever since I was young, my vision of life had always been that mine was just as normal as anyone else's. At that time I was 17 years old. Just an average teenager. Here is my story of the nuclear disaster and how it became to be.


It all started in the year of 3005. There I was, just sitting in bed minding my own business while my parents quietly prepared breakfast. The sizzling from the pan and the smell of cinnamon traveled into my nose. My dad was making french toast. Vague whispers of my parent's conversation were almost audible through the thin walls; it sounded like they were contemplating whether or not to wake my sister and I up. Large feet hitting the ground echoed into my ear. It had to be my dad sneaking over to try and scare me again like he always does.


“Trying to scare me, dad?” A smirk appears on my face.


He walks through my door and up to my bed. “Darn it!” his slight laugh filled the air. He quietly exited my room in a tip-toeing fashion.


My eyes close and my mind begins to calm. But only a few moments later everything changed. A loud siren pierced the air, causing me to jump in surprise. My dad's feet could be heard pummeling the ground as he ran to my sister's room.


My body began to tremble, but I slid out of my bed and ran out my door.

Within an instant, all 4 of us were out in our front yard, As well as other people around our neighborhood. People were scattered everywhere, confused as to what was going to happen.


It was a windy morning; about 65 degrees. A little cold for some, but bearable for most. I stood there for a good five minutes, the faces of people around me showing a mixture of fear and worry.

Time continued to pass minute by minute, but nothing happened. At least the siren has stopped.


Unexpectedly, the town intercoms screeched and emitted these words:  "Important message for all people: Due to unexpected circumstances, you will all need to evacuate to your shelters. They are in your backyards.”

Our town, the way it was at that time, had each house equipped an underground shelter that would only come up in the case of a nuclear emergency. I didn’t have a clue what was inside it because all they told us was that a stairway to the shelter below would appear and that there would be a robot escort to help us down.

There it was, the biggest robot I had ever seen. It stood beside a deep hole accompanied by a ladder.

The robot was very tall, and it had a series of buttons and levers on its chest, which could have been for anything.


“Hello,” I say trying to be friendly.


But it just sat there. A massive heap of metal A few more seconds passed by and nothing had changed except my patience. Am I supposed to wait for directions? The rest of my family stood behind me, looking puzzled as well. Suddenly, the robot stretched it metal arm and pointed towards the ladder.


“Go down,” it's synthetic tone enveloping my senses.


At this moment the only choice that I had was to go down that ladder. If we didn't do that, we'd die from the nuclear radiation. My hands attach to the ladder as my feet guide the way down. It were partly rusted and had a gritty feel to it. The area led to was beautiful; elegant white and blue furnishings and leather furniture. The robot took the lead; its metal feet were marking up the floor. Goosebumps develop onto my skin. In a shelter dimly lit with lanterns, Doors could be seen leading to different rooms. Living spaces, entertainment centers, it had it all. They must want us to live comfortably while we waited for the nuclear disaster to pass. A feel of worry enters my belly. I look around, and my family is nowhere in my sight. The robot slowly clamps towards me.


“Uh, hello?”


It doesn’t say a word. It’s silver body, and large feet get closer and closer to me. It reaches out an arm. As my feet hit the ground running, I can hear the robot's feet clank behind me. Up ahead was a lightly lit room. It would offer a perfect area to hide. My body slides into the area and behind a chair. The only thing my family wanted was to be safe down here. But now they are gone, and a robot is after me. Peeking my head out from the side of the chair, it appears that the robot has given up. Nothing but a few chairs and a TV mounted on the wall accompanied the area. I slowly exit out the door and tiptoe through the hallway.


“Mom? Dad? Anyone here?”


Peering through the other doors, nothing but empty rooms are around. The only noise I hear is the dampened echo my of my words. Not a single soul was accompanying me. Time moved slowly as my feet traveled farther through the hallway, hoping to find someone or something. The chill of fear enveloped my body as I knew I might be stuck here endlessly looking through doors and walking down hallways like a dog looking for a stick. Hours passed by as my confusion began



© 2017 McBear


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

THIS IS AWESOME. IT'S A BIT EXUBERANT, BUT YOU ARE THE AUTHOR. YOU NEED TO DECIDE ON MULTIPLE HIGHS AND LOWS IN THE STORY OR JUST ONE CLIMAX. REMEMBER EVER GREAT STORY HAS A BEGINNING AND AN END...

Posted 6 Years Ago


very interesting write,it sounds like the makings of a great book

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


McBear

7 Years Ago

Thank you, Wordman. I greatly appreciate it.
this is amazing. i cant wait to read the next chapter. keep up the amazing work Mcbear

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 7 Years Ago


Angel of the devil

7 Years Ago

I will share it with my friends. please do, and thank you. could u read angel of darkness
McBear

7 Years Ago

Sure thing. Just send me a read request, cause I am at school. :)
Angel of the devil

7 Years Ago

i will, thanks

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

408 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on February 6, 2017
Last Updated on February 11, 2017


Author

McBear
McBear

ℬearabooluba, PA



About
Hey guys! I'm Nick, and I am 18 years old. I love piercings; I currently have my Industrial, and Ears pierced. I also enjoy Rock, Indie, Alternative, and some Punk Rock Music. I usually .. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by McBear



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..