22

22

A Chapter by Declan Gleason

22


Spencer entered the meeting room in the HQ with Grace.  For big meetings they generally had a male and female representative from each race to help decide the issues.  Spencer and Grace represented Human, Rojan and Aeliana Rapirian, Rilfor and and a woman named Helena represented the Adican, finally Gert, and Kat from the Corinians.

All of the represented, other than Spencer and Grace, were gathered around the large round table.  As soon as Spencer and Grace sat down, the meeting began.

"We are gathered here today," Rilfor began, "To discuss what became of Earth and the unidentified spacecrafts that may have been the cause of the problem."  Rilfor paused for a second before continuing.  "Our imagery suggests the ships in the area jumped to the coordinates X=342.7 Y=-33.72."

"Wait!" Rojan interjected.  "Are you sure?  Rapirian intelligence suggests there's nothing in that area, just empty space."

"Thank you Rojan."  Rilfor said, "Adican intelligence also shows nothing in that area.  However we had trouble getting over there due to Corinian breakoff."  Rilfor eyed Girt and Kat,  "No offence though."

"None taken,"  Kat said.  "We too couldn't pick up anything in that area on our scanners.  However there were folk tales of mysterious disappearances and attacks in that sector of space.  We never had a military investigation of the area though, we needed everything we had to fight the Adican."

"Do you think there's something out there?" Grace asked Kat.

"I guess it's possible,"  Kat replied,  "It seemed pretty empty though."

"I say we send a force out there right now."  Spencer said.

"Not so fast," Helena said "Why should we risk lives to go on a ghost hunt."

"It's not a ghost hunt!"  Spencer shouted.  "These people are dangerous, possibly Adican.  If the Adican have developed technology capable of transporting or destroying planets, we should find out."

"I agree with Spencer"  Aeliana said.  "There's clearly a threat out there that needs investigating."

"Now Aeliana," Gert said "Even if you're right, how do we know they're still there?  Even if we find these people, they're clearly capable of destroying us."

"We could take the Dreadnaught,"  Kat said.  "It has stealth capabilities that couldn't be picked up on radar."

"Just take the Dreadnaught" Grace said "Enter the area from the far side, do a quick fly by, and leave from the far side.  This way they can't track us and we know what we're dealing with before sending the whole armada to a possibly dangerous sector of space."

"It's a solid idea," Rilfor said.

"I agree" Rojan interjected.

"Anyone else?"  Rilfor asked.  When no one answered he continued,  "Alright let's vote."

The council voted on Grace's proposed idea and it passed with a 6-2 vote leaving Gert and Helena as the minority.

"Alright,"  Rilfor said.  "Let's see," Rilfor looked around the room.  "Okay, Spencer, Grace, Rojan, Aeliana, Kat, and I will leave tomorrow morning."  He eyed Helena and Gert,  "You two, stay here and keep things under control.  Stay alert.  We don't know who or what may try to kill us."

After that the meeting was adjourned and Spencer walked to the housing area with Grace.  Soon they came to where they had to split up.  Spencer thought about Grace and that time on the Rapirian battleship where she kissed him.

"Wait,"  Spencer said to Grace who turned around to face him.  "Look, I really like you and I think we should be more than just friends."  Spencer eyed her agonizing over her response.

"Are you asking me on a date?"  Grace asked,  "In the middle of a war?"

"Umm, I guess,"  Spencer said.  "Is that bad?"

"Look Spencer,"  Grace said.  "I like you too but I don't want to get attatched to something that could be gone in an instance."

"But wait-" Spencer began

"Listen,"  Grace cut him off.  "If we're still alive when we return here tomorrow.  I'll consider your offer."

After that Grace walked away leaving Spencer by himself.  Spencer walked into his quarters and crept into bed, thinking about what Grace said, where Earth was, and what they would find out there.



© 2016 Declan Gleason


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

153 Views
Added on January 22, 2016
Last Updated on January 22, 2016


Author

Declan Gleason
Declan Gleason

Sandy, UT



About
I always liked writing and have recently gotten into writing actual novels. I am currently in high school but I think I can write as effectively as anyone else. I hope to get feedback on some of my .. more..

Writing