What does it mean to live

What does it mean to live

A Poem by Olivier
"

Living is an extraordinary coincidence everyone reading this gets to experience. Birth, life, and death. And everything inbetween

"

In my life so far, I have had a serious trouble determining who I am. My name is Olivier Laborde, but only because my parents named me that at birth. I am an intelligent straight male, but only because of my genes and DNA. Only because of my past. I am who I am because of everything around me. Because of my past, and the past before me. Because of my present, and the present around me. But what about the future. The future hasn’t been decided yet. I get that the future is directly affected by the past. That the future will be something because of the past. It is physically impossible for something to just exist in the future with no prior history. There is a reason behind it. Just like all humans have a reason for everything. We never do anything for no reason. We always have a reason. If I told you to get up right now, stop what your doing, and go walk 5 miles, you wouldn’t do it. I wouldn’t do it. No one would ever do something like that. Not for no reason. The same with the universe and the laws of physics. An object remains motionless unless acted upon by an outside force. See…. Us humans are inexplicably connected to the laws of physics. Which should be obvious as we exist in the universe where these laws are present. However not physically. There is physically nothing stopping one from walking 5 miles. If you are relatively fit and its fine outside, and there is no fear. One could do it. But why wouldn’t you do that? Perhaps its an instinct. To not waste unnecessary calories. To not go into the possible unknown. To survive longer. But what’s the point of surviving if you’re never living. Perhaps living is different than what everyone thinks it is. Maybe its not the simple beating of your heart. Maybe it’s not the inflation and deflation of your lungs. Maybe its different from the definition in biology. The ability to be self-sufficient, to reproduce in some fashion, etc.… That’s simply existing as a biological organism. To truly live… is a profound idea. Far more than I could convey or even experience on my own. In this body. Living. The fact that we are alive. The fact that your consciousness was chosen out of every single other person, to exist in your body. It’s nothing short of a miracle. The fact that YOU get to experience life. That YOU get to experience death and travel where literally every biologically existing entity has traveled, is traveling, and will travel. Its profound. Its so freaking profound. Regardless of what you believe comes after. YOU get to experience it. And its up to YOU to shape it how you want it to be. Whether you will be depressed, and experience life there. Or whether you will be enlightened, and see what life is there. Or whether you are gay, or abused, or rich, or poor. YOU GET TO BLOODY EXPERIENCE IT. NO ONE ELSE HAS A LIFE JUST LIKE YOURS. You are 100% totally unique. And nobody is as special as you..

© 2018 Olivier


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

115 Views
Added on January 4, 2018
Last Updated on January 4, 2018
Tags: Life, death, loss, love, rich, poor, gay, straight, transgender, asexual, war, peace