Jesimon's Lady

Jesimon's Lady

A Stage Play by Phillitup

(A lady sits on a bench reading a paperback novel. Jesimon enters and slouches down onto the bench. The lady closes her book and places it into her purse.)

 

Jesimon: What you lookin’ at?

Lady: Well, I was just wondering if you were chilly in those ripped blue jeans.

Jesimon: You’re wearin’ a skirt.

Lady: (looking at skirt) Does it have holes in it? Oh dear, I should hope not.

Jesimon: Least I don’t got a dorky hat.

Lady: (Taking off hat) Dorky? Hmmm. I rather like it. I got it on sale.

Jesimon: (As lady puts on hat) Well it makes ya look ridiculous.

Lady: I guess I could say that about your slingy shirt and barely existent jeans.

Jesimon: FYI, this fashion is in.

Lady: Really? I think someone will attack you in those clothes.

Jesimon: Good for you.

Lady: Yes, I’ll be perfectly safe.

 

(Awkward moment of silence. Both pull out their phones. The one belonging to the lady has an antenna which she is extending. Jesimon holds a smart phone, antenna falling in her face.)

 

Jesimon: (Batting at antenna) What’s THAT?!

Lady: My cellular phone.

Jesimon: Your WHAT?!

Lady: (enunciating)        M-Y         C-E-L-L-U-L-A-R         P-H-O-N-E.

Jesimon: Your cell phone?! Last I heard that was the life alert prototype.

Lady: It may be old but it suits my purpose. Speaking of, I better call home to make sure Frank isn’t hurt again. (Starts to dial phone) He’s always getting into trouble. (Connecting) Hello? Hello?! Frank, darling, it’s me. I’m calling in to check on you. No, darling, try to stay with me. Hello? I can’t hear you Frank. Hello?! Oh, Frank! I think I need to upgrade devices. NO! I said I need to upgrade devices not love comes with too many prices! Frank, you really must try to listen. I must go, stay safe. BYE! NO, FRANK! Bye not fly! Hello? HELLO?! Frank?!(Putting away device)Oh dear! I believe my husband is attempting to fly. Oh well. When you fall, at least for a few seconds, it feels like your flying.

Jesimon: Someone married you?!

Lady: Yes (sappy), (snaps back to Earth) Frank. He might be dead now but I have no clue.

Jesimon: But you’re so…old.

Lady: I was once young, a rebel. Like you.

Jesimon: (defensively rising) I’m not a… (sitting down) never mind.

Lady: (Taking out photo) Here. This is a picture of me when I was your age.

Jesimon: Is that your hair?!

Lady: Yes.

Jesimon: It’s a crime against nature!

Lady: Well, to each their own opinion. Frank loved the look though. He always denied it but I believe it’s what first caught his attention.

Jesimon: My opinions tend to be truer than others. (Lady puts away photo. Jesimon talks to herself.)  I wonder what’s taking him so long.

Lady: My husband? Oh I doubt that he’ll be by here. He doesn’t know where I am and neither me, him.

Jesimon: Huh?

Lady: You inquired what was taking him so long.

Jesimon: Rock is your husband?! He’s 15!

Lady: Rock? Oh no dear! Frank. Frank is my husband. Oh dear! I believe I lost you somewhere in this conversation.

Jesimon: Never mind! And don’t worry, I’m perfectly fly. I know what you’re talkin’ bout.

Lady: Oh wonderful!

Jesimon: Whatever.

Lady: (after curious pause) I’m not sure…even the Earth isn’t forever.

Jesimon: (to crowd, breaking the fourth wall) Can you believe this lady?! (Back to lady) I said whatever not what is forever!

Lady: My apologies, I’m rather hard of hearing.

Jesimon: Obviously!

Lady: I would hope not! I try very hard to hide that fact.

Jesimon: Good for you.

Lady: Well if it’s not working then it’s not good for me.

Jesimon: (screaming) I don’t care!

Lady: Oh…

(Awkward silence)

Lady: I believe I forgot to ask. Why on Earth are you taking the bus?

Jesimon: What if I’m not?

Lady: But you are.

Jesimon: So you know where I’m going.

Lady: No, I’m not a psychic. I just know you’re riding the bus.

Jesimon: Well I’m not.

Lady: Well then…

(Rock enters)

Rock: Yo, Jesi!

Jesimon: Rock!

Rock: Jesi, did you get the supplies?

Jesimon: Yeah. The crow bar is at Mikey’s, the wrench is at Marina’s, and everything else is under the rock at Gordon’s Pizzeria. Are you sure this is going to work?

Rock: Positive. The crow bar and wrench are brand new.

Jesimon: I mean the plan not the tools! I stole (looking at lady) I mean…I bought them myself.

Rock: Oh right! The time you skipped class. (Jesimon stomps on his foot) I mean took an educational fieldtrip with your metal shop teacher.

(Lady has pulled out the book she was reading at the beginning of the play. Reading, seeming oblivious. Every few seconds she looks up and stares at the two.)

Jesimon: Nice save. Almost as good as the time the principal questioned you and you broke down crying.

Rock: (defensively) I had a headache!

Jesimon: You got me suspended! (Screaming now) If it wasn’t for you I wouldn’t have even thought of the idea. I was going to be something, someone.  Now I have no future except for one in a cell that smells bad.

Rock: You’re going to work at McDonalds?

Jesimon: NO! If I keep on like this I’m going to end up in JAIL! These clothes are pointless and I’m freezing. Ya don’t get it! (pause) You don’t get it!

Rock: I don’t get what?

Jesimon: You don’t get anything! You say I’m a rookie and that you’re the pro. You claim you have a rich estate waiting for you. You lie all the time. You’re ruining my life.

Rock: I’m ruining your life?

Jesimon: YES!

Rock: Man, you’re not as cool as I thought you were.

Jesimon: I’m a girl and I don’t care how you see me anymore!

Rock: Fine, priss. (Exits)

Jesimon: (stunned, sits down) What have I done?

Lady: (puts away book) The right thing dearie.

(Jesimon jumps)

Jesimon: I didn’t know you were still here.

Lady: The silent observer saves lives.

Jesimon: What?

Lady: Today I watched a very beautiful and talented young lady express herself and wipe away the scars of the past. She created a new path for her future. It’s going to be very bright, like her.

Jesimon: You really think so?

Lady: Yes, I do.

© 2013 Phillitup


Author's Note

Phillitup
This is for my drama classes playwriting festival. I really need feedback ASAP as well as a title!

My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really enjoyed reading this and I liked how some of the things said were a bit random, with them not understanding each other all the time. I do think though that it went a bit fast into Jesimon giving her rant to Rock. It was all sudden and it took me a few moments to figure out if it was just an act or actually her shouting at him. But still, I enjoyed it all, and loved the very end.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is really good I like how different the voices are.
However I think that if you want it to stand out the ending needs a little kick or like a cliff something that makes you really remember it so it does not get lost.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Phillitup

10 Years Ago

Thanks, I will definitely take that into consideration...much appreciated.
I really enjoyed reading this and I liked how some of the things said were a bit random, with them not understanding each other all the time. I do think though that it went a bit fast into Jesimon giving her rant to Rock. It was all sudden and it took me a few moments to figure out if it was just an act or actually her shouting at him. But still, I enjoyed it all, and loved the very end.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I loved it! No wonder it was a semi-finalist. I'm really sorry it didn't get in :( but it was really good. :D

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Phillitup

11 Years Ago

That's fine...my plays never do. It's true. Thanks. You don't know how much I appreciate that.
This comment has been deleted by this stage plays author.
Interesting. I enjoyed reading it, and I hope you do well in your drama class

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Phillitup

11 Years Ago

Thank you Katie!
Oh, this is a hard one. For the title: 1)Operator, We're Breaking up (reference to new beginning and cellular phone), 2)Learn to fly (reference to new beginning and husband trying to fly), 3)Goodbye, McDonalds! (reference to choosing new future).
Great storyline, I enjoyed reading this!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Phillitup

11 Years Ago

thanks for the suggestions!
Hmmm - hard to title!
how about:
1. The silent observer (you even wrote that in there)
2. Creating anew (because of the new path created)
3. Saving a generation
4. The last straw (because she's so peed off lol)
5. Jesimon's Lady
6. Criss-cross. (mingling of generations and emotions)
7. A New Age
8. A promising start (aka what happens instead of being put in jail.)
9. The Bench
10. The Uninvited Friend ( the lady)
11. An uncomfortable meeting?

-_- No idea if they help but it's all I could come up with!
Love to you x

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Phillitup

11 Years Ago

Thanks for all the suggestions!
have no idea what to name this... but i enjoyed reading it:)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I am clueless! Sorry

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thats a tough title but otherwise it is fantastic

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Phillitup

11 Years Ago

Thanks!

Do you have an idea for the title at all?
koolkat

11 Years Ago

Let me read through it one more time k
Phillitup

11 Years Ago

ok

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

326 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 2, 2013
Last Updated on January 3, 2013

Author

Phillitup
Phillitup

FL



About
I am 14-years-old. I find inspiration all over the place: memories, ideas, things I notice. I like believing in things that others find impossible. I think that's the way I hope for a better future. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Phillitup


In a World In a World

A Poem by Phillitup