Spinaganda

Spinaganda

A Poem by Baby Ricochet
"

A bad state of affairs with no easy answers

"
Propaganda's such an ugly word
So now they call it spin
Whatever side you may be on 
The other side is sin 
Running traps can't shut their yaps
Where did it all begin 
Once they called it propaganda 
Now they call it spin 

Take in the wing nut job parade 
You see it on FOX news 
With Hannity or cranky Bill 
With bullshit to confuse
Spook old folks and simple dopes
with facts wildly askew
and outrageous accusations 
from stories misconstrued

Purchase politics like products
We only have two brands 
Strangely vague or bat s**t crazy
A steamer for each hand 
They're often swayed to pave the way 
for lobbyist demands 
The huckster that you voted in 
was bought by oil and land 

Right wing Suzy Left wing Lucy 
It's all the bloody same 
We vote them into chamber seats 
and then they play their games 
A corporate teat will take that seat
They buy them without shame 
and turned us into comic foils
for their election game 

Propaganda's such an ugly word
So now they call it spin 
Pick a side it doesn't matter
The people never win 
We scrape on by until we die
While fat cats eat our skin 
Once they called it propaganda
Now they call it spin 

© 2014 Baby Ricochet


Author's Note

Baby Ricochet
Politics are a multifaceted, complex monster that can't be explained away by a few talking points on a talk show. It's obvious (at least to me) that the democrats have drifted somewhere towards the center without a clear message and the republicans have taken a rubber train to crazy town. Obama is a political centrist which is why he's disappointed the liberal wing of the democratic party. (Those who call him a socialist wouldn't know a socialist if one shoved a Vietnamese flag up their ass) Obama care isn't true socialized health care, we're still in Afghanistan, Guantanamo bay is still open, the war on drugs is still an epic failure and the economy is still in the crapper. Hope and change turned out to be worth about a buck and a quarter. Republicans on the other hand are off the fucking reservation, but at least their message is clear. (at least to me) Hand the country over to the rich, role back Roe VS Wade, (attack on women's rights) Destroy Obama care, spend a shitload of money on defense,(to wage wars for profit) cut federal funding for every domestic program their is that helps out the poor because it makes them "dependent" (war on the poor) Give out tax breaks to corporations and tax the middle and working class into the poor house. We need a third, viable party but with the way elections are rigged now without the support of big business that's not going to happen. With the citizens united ruling (Another huge political problem. The judiciary branch of government taking control over the legislative branch) Corporations can "donate" IE buy any political seat they want. Someone give's you a shitload of money so you can land a job when they want a favor you're going to listen. That's basic human nature.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

One of the reasons I like your writes among others is the truth you share with us. Not just the propaganda we hear every day on the news. No one talks facts but political trash...Their propaganda does not do any good for the American people and so forth. They need to offer solutions that will help every one...This was wonderful...:).....

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you Sami
Sami Khalil

10 Years Ago

You are welcome muchly...:)......................



Reviews

Normally, I avoid politics like the plague, but your poem is irresistible! I've never seen it expressed so well & also poetically -- very amazing & good for you. Your first & last stanzas are very memorable, describing why I've crawled up into the hills & stopped participating in the charades, not even wanting to be reminded. Your message is especially vivid & hard-hitting becuz of all the realistic examples you've woven thru-out to SHOW rather than TELL. Great job! I also agree with your rant in the author's notes. Now back to my little corner of peaceful fantasy.

Posted 8 Years Ago


Hi. I enjoyed this, and 'feel your pain' from over here in UK. We have a Government sponsored leaflet about to land on our doorsteps that supposedly tells us the 'facts' about why the Government thinks we should stay in. So their use of 'facts' is selective, and they're intermingled with conclusions from the government that all head toward the message that UK would be crazy to leave. But here's the thing. The Government is not contesting the upcoming referendum. There is a 'stay' campaign and a 'leave' campaign. But the 'stay' campaigners have been able to remain within the Government while the 'leave' campaigners who had been in the Government have had to quit the Government, and now have less access to new data on the economy, jobs, balance of trade, etc etc than 'stay' campaigners who are still in the Government. The Government has spent £9m taxpayers money on this leaflet, which is supposed to answer the much-heard cry for some solid facts that voters can assess. Basically, it sucks.

OK rant over! Now back to your poem, which I thought was well written. The problem you'll have observed with many poems is that the requirements of meter and rhyme lead to the writer using pretty tame words rather than writing with real impact. Good poems rise above this challenge, still meet meter expectations, etc and score solid points, in this case with cutting wit. I also like the way you come full circle at the end.

Nice job!
Nigel

Posted 8 Years Ago


I think this is great, and you really tell it like it is. I wish there was a viable third, centrist party that'd come into play and restore sanity, but I guess the mega-wealthy would never allow it.

Posted 8 Years Ago


"fat cats eat our skin"

I love your devotion to that rhyme scheme. And I love your f*****g Author's Note.

You are so balanced, and manage to be so passionate at the same time. It's great.

Have you read The Odyssey of Pat Tillman? It strikes me as something you might be interested in.

You're basically my news.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

I've not read that, yet. Thanks for stopping by
The Twin Arenas

9 Years Ago

You should really check it out, man. You know the story, right? Arizona Cardinal quit football, li.. read more
This an excellent example of why you are so good. You understand what's going on in the world and explain it in a way anyone can comprehend. I'm going to put this into my favorites along with some others of yours. I know this is a year old but its still relevant as most of your poems are.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Thanks Relic
politics are a mofo. You wrote to this so well.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

Thank you TL
Which is like I said earlier, sir. Feudalism with a new name and even worse…. and we serfs think we are free…..

Posted 9 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

9 Years Ago

That's for sure
I'm not going to put my two cents here cause there isn't enough bandwidth :-)

However I will applaud you for as usual you strongly and effectively know how to get your message across.
I may not agree with some of the points. I see even deeper agendas on some things, However You took it upon your self where i don't and spit out to share on these issues.
With that said, my view doesn't count. The only thing that counts is those who speak up!


Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you Kate
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Pax
I am not sure if you have read my piece "being blind", there it says:

"Organize politics always have hidden agenda
A self-absorb Propaganda."

I remember that line when I read your first line on this piece. I do agree that Politics are multifaceted and complex monster they can be. My friend you really are informative fella, I see that you take notice well about the news on the political view. Remember that not all is scene in the public eye(tv). Like I said in my piece, there are invisible strings working - "Invisible web, many are in debt." Propagan always do ave its hidden agenda, history proves that.

I think I can only say one thing upon conclusion of my review:

"Conspiracy is always at work"

very nice work my friend
very informative!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you for your input Mr Pax. I appreciate it
I always look forward to reading your poems, BR. You have a hilarious way of looking at things. Hilarious but enlightening. Keep up the good work!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Baby Ricochet

10 Years Ago

Thank you arzel

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1896 Views
42 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 3 Libraries
Added on February 21, 2014
Last Updated on February 21, 2014

Author

Baby Ricochet
Baby Ricochet

Tampa, FL



About
I write just for the hell of it A way to spend some time Blurting out in cyber space Whatever's on my mind Maybe funny maybe tragic Emotional and raw Politi.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aware Aware

A Poem by Sami Khalil


Moods Moods

A Poem by DrD