Dream Perception

Dream Perception

A Poem by Denise
"

Where dreams may take you...

"

















Viscous shades dripping

Gossamer trails slipping

Obscure radiant passion
Iridescent shrouded dispassion

Gliding down beguiling yellow brick roads
Searching out answers but only finding codes

Following the familiar routes
Getting lost tracking faulty pursuits

What was seen yesterday is found tomorrow
Living on time that is borrowed.

Waking to reality that may or may not be real
But what does it matter when life becomes surreal

© 2011 Denise


Author's Note

Denise
After watching the movie Inception (with Leonardo DiCaprio) I was inspired to write this... Great movie if you haven't seen it yet, I recommend you do.

how this poem began was with those first two stanza's. I wasn't sure where I wanted to go until I just let the writing take me there. I was thinking of dreams, and the surreal feeling you get when you wake up and try to remember your dream. Murky thoughts, wispy tails of thoughts slipping away, passionate feelings of being involved in the dream and dispassionate feelings of dreams that you view as a bystander. Those words were not purposely thrown in there to sound pretty or add depth, but to be used to describe how surreal dreams can be..it was imagery of something I couldn't attach an actual image to if that makes any sense. So I guess I like it the way it was written.

I would love other people's opinions on this however...

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love dreams as they are not governed by physics or any laws for that matter.

"What was seen yesterday is found tomorrow
Living on time that is borrowed."

Like this line what was seen yesterday (which yesterday no longer exists) is found tomorrow (which tomorrow doesn't exist yet) but we are living on time that is borrowed, (which is now and the only thing that does exist at the moment.) See that defies physics and natural law so I love it.

Don't tell anyone but I wasn't all that impressed with Inception maybe because of all the hype I was expecting more from it. Just me. Great write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

wow this is awesome, I've always thought of dreams as another portal of communication, the whole piece is great but my favorite line is;
Searching out answers but only finding codes.
Excellent write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


what does it matter when life becomes surreal?...you summed up inception in that one line...and dreams...in dreams reality have no meaning and sadly in reality our dreams don't matter much...I too was inspired by inception a great deal! glad to see others were also :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love dreams as they are not governed by physics or any laws for that matter.

"What was seen yesterday is found tomorrow
Living on time that is borrowed."

Like this line what was seen yesterday (which yesterday no longer exists) is found tomorrow (which tomorrow doesn't exist yet) but we are living on time that is borrowed, (which is now and the only thing that does exist at the moment.) See that defies physics and natural law so I love it.

Don't tell anyone but I wasn't all that impressed with Inception maybe because of all the hype I was expecting more from it. Just me. Great write.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The crazy intangible thoughts that flit through our minds on the edge of waking. Your words capture them with artistic freedom. It would be good to see this poem expanded to include more of those surreal thoughts and to perhaps twist a few that are there a little further.

Posted 13 Years Ago


"But what does it matter when life becomes surreal "

Life is always surreal..what you have shown in this poem is reality..as poets see it, which is far different than the way "normal" people see it..
All metaphor takes what we think we see "normally", and makes it real.
Poe's "Dream within a dream", comes to mind here..

The poem reminds me of how one "normally" looks at a tree in summer..we
look at the green outline, and think that that is all there is to it...but there is a seperate reality to be seen, if one concentrates on the spaces between the leaves...Then the surreal being in the tree appears, which reconfirms that things are not always as the seem to be.

I am not terribly fond of the rhyme in the couplets, but do not hate them either..I think you could write this poem in free verse, and it might have a more profound effect..but that is only my opinion, and doesnt take away from the fact that I like this poem.




Posted 13 Years Ago


And what a dream you have painted for my mind to delve into! I love the surreal image and feel to this piece! You have done well!

Nice Write Indeed!
RLG,
Tommy


Posted 13 Years Ago


Dreams ... our mind in a world without words , spoken in the language of symbolism , where familiarity is a shed skin to psychic growth . I liked the Jungian reference in this line "What was seen yesterday is found tomorrow"

I like this piece ...


Posted 13 Years Ago


Always love it when someone rhymes, even better when its something deep and meaningful that must be sought out. However, the first two stanzas seem irrelevant to the rest of the poem. Other than using surreal words and imagery, tying in with the "surreal" you mention at the end, I dont see how they help your poem at all. Honestly, just seems like big words thrown in to give it a false sense of depth. I really enjoyed the rest though, very good. Hope this is helpful

Posted 13 Years Ago


0 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

400 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 28, 2011
Last Updated on March 1, 2011

Author

Denise
Denise

Williamsport, PA



About
I'm still quite new to the writing world other than the fact I enjoyed and excelled at English through my years of school and college. I mostly just write poetry because of my scattered mind and deep .. more..

Writing
Deprived Deprived

A Poem by Denise


Saving Grace Saving Grace

A Poem by Denise



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..