DOG as Metaphor

DOG as Metaphor

A Story by Dianne
"

Thoughts on improving your relationship with God.

"

 

Most people get up in the morning and decide to spend some time with Dog and so they decide to take a walk with Dog. They put on the leash and then they let Dog take them for a walk. Dog pulls this way and they follow, Dog heads off that way and again they follow. Dog is clearly the one in control. Where ever Dog leads they follow. At the end of the walk they wonder why they didn’t get to see what they wanted, they didn’t get to do what they wanted, they are tired and unhappy and they complain that Dog just doesn’t listen to them. They put Dog away for the day and hope that tomorrow will be better. Surely Dog must have a different plan for their life and they must learn to surrender to Dog’s will.
 
The experienced dog person goes about it differently. They get up in the morning and decide to spend the day with Dog. They take a few minutes to decided where they want to go today and what they want to see and do. Then they call Dog over tell him where they are going and set out in that direction. They know that Dog has many more senses then they do and will smell and hear things of interest that they might miss, but they also know that it is really their decision as to where they will go. Will they stay on their chosen path or will they decide that Dog has found something even more interesting? At the end of the day they know that every where they went and every thing they did was by their own choice. They were in charge even when they chose to follow what Dog turned up. It was always their choice and they have had a wonderful and productive day. They have improved their relationship with Dog and are excited about walking with Dog again tomorrow.
 
Dog wants you to have fun, Dog wants you to do what gives you joy, but until you clearly direct Dog as to what brings you joy, fulfillment and happiness, Dog has no choice but to drag you all around waiting for you to decide to take charge. Dog is happiest when you are happy and he is fulfilling your requests. Try taking God for a walk today.
 
Dianne Evans

© 2008 Dianne


Author's Note

Dianne
I am at the time of writing this the proud alpha bitch in charge of two dogs. Perci is my small dog sitting in the foreground and weighing in at 80 lbs, Chewbacca is the baby standing in the picture, I think he is probably 180 lbs.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

What a wonderfully, insightful, pleasant story. I am going to send this to a couple of my dog-loving friends. You have done a very clever, non-preachy job of instruction. And elevated our 4 footed friends to an even higher power!

V5C

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

... and sometimes Dog leaves a little mess for you to deal with. You complain as you deal with the mess, but you love Dog and see it as "part of life"

This was a wonderfuly entertaining little short that gave me pause to think (something that I'm told I should do more). Thank you for sharing it.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

An enlightening and thought provoking story of cultivating the 'right' relationship with everyone's bet friend. I always say; 'If you want something even better then a 'Good Day'- drop an 'o' and see what transpires!

God's Blessing
Phillozofee

Posted 15 Years Ago


I enjoyed this so much, I placed in my library.
The last paragraph snagged me good and may be a missing key for me!


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wow cool metaphor ! Keep up the good work.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

585 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 6, 2008
Last Updated on May 10, 2008

Author

Dianne
Dianne

Livermore, CA



About
I'm a new writer. Oh, I've written stuff for work and such over the years, technical writing, lesson plans, resumes; you know the usual stuff of life. Instead I was always a reader. I read like crazy .. more..

Writing
Child of Gaia Child of Gaia

A Story by Dianne


Yes we can! Yes we can!

A Story by Dianne


I am alone I am alone

A Story by Dianne



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Friends Share Friends Share

A Poem by Bonnie