Cubs in a Tree

Cubs in a Tree

A Story by Dianne
"

Yeah, it really did happen that way.

"

 

The year I was nine we were living out in the boonies of Northern Idaho, four miles from Montana and forty miles from Canada. We, Mom, Dad and I, the oldest, and my three younger sisters, were living in a nine by twelve canvas tent erected on top of a log platform to keep the floor dry. There was no electricity, the creek was our running water and refrigerator and I helped dig the outhouse. It was supposedly uninhabited territory but there were five families living out here with the wildlife and a few beef cattle.
 
I explored all over the mountain side, followed the creek up stream till I found the spring it came from, searched out deer with their fawns, chased squirrels up trees and hunted medicinal herbs. Basically I ran wild with out a care in the world and as long as I was back by dark Mom never gave me a thought.
 
On this particular day I was walking through the woods trying to decide if I could get to the top of the hill and back before dark when I spotted a black bear a little closer than I was comfortable with. I quickly made my way to a tree that had branches fairly close to the ground and scrambled up the trunk just as Ma Bear came up. Now I was climbing up, but I was looking intently down watching Ma squat at the foot of the tree watching me. She never made a sound that I remember, just looked up at me like I was some sort of queer trespasser. I didn’t feel threatened, but I decided I should go a little higher just incase.
 
When I turned my attention back to climbing I found my self nearly nose to butt with Baby Bear. Uh, now what?! Baby just sat there hugging the tree and eyeing me trying to figure out what kind of deformed bear I was. I can’t go down so I decided to move around to the other side of the trunk and try to scoot a ways out on the branch. Maybe Baby will head down and concede me the tree? No such luck! After hanging out for a bit I decided to carefully climb on up the tree past Baby. No touching me on my side of the tree! Ok?
 
This wasn’t a big tree and took a bit of maneuvering for us to pass without making contact. I think this is the only time in my life I’ve been within arms reach of an animal and not tried to pet it. Eventually I did reach the higher limb and shortly after that Baby shinnied down and joined Ma and they ambled off. Me, I stayed in that tree for a while before I was ready to climb down and head back home. The hill would have to wait for another day.
 
I never did tell anyone about playing Goldilocks for fear I’d lose my freedom.

© 2008 Dianne


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

What an experience! I envy you! I have come within feet of bear, but always from the saftey of my semi truck cab. This would have been something entirely new. to be so young and brave, and youth was probably what allowed the situation to difuse with out any injury. Supports the belief that animals can sense if you mean to harm or not.

Thanks for sharing this! :)

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Oh wow what an interesting adventure, i must say wildlife and nature are great... so unpredictable... glad you survived and live to tell your story.

By the way I was born in Twin Falls, Idaho... a lot of beautiful country there.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Hehehe... I was wondering when you were going to get around to mentioning the bears that live in that part of the country. I had no idea it would be the point of the story. lol! A little too close to nature that time. Pretty good thinking for a youngster too, go around the bear.

I liked this story. It was short, a Readers Digest kind of story. Nice point. Nice bit of story telling. I am quite sure, if needed, you could easily embellish this to make a larger word count for publishing. You should pursue that with this one. It is quaint and easily work for teen or tween story telling.

Cheers & thanks for sharing this!
Doc.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

OMG ... this is true? I would have been in bad shape. I was a terrible tree climber and even had I gotten high enough to see the cub, I'd have had zero chance of climbing around him.

YIKES

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 2 people found this review constructive.

This is a great story and you were very smart and brave to think your way out of the situation.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A friend directed me to your writing. I read one story, then another, and then another. I kept landing back here. You write of spirituality and growth. You write about the human condition. For me, I find the best of all these aspects within this story. There is a innocent moment brought about by unforeseen circumstance which could have branched in many different endings. I liked the idea of allowing space to another as you climb higher.
I can read this as a document of a moment in time. I can read this as yet another of your parables. Either way I start my day enriched.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Such a nice story :) .I bet this is one of your best childhood memories.

,,Baby just sat there hugging the tree and eyeing me trying to figure out what kind of deformed bear I was.,, - is the part I liked most ^^, so funny and sweet.

A.M.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I admire your adventurous nature at 9 years old. Did you ever make it to the top of the hill?

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Now that's a memory nobody could forget!


Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

That's a really good story and well written.I like the way you include the animal's thoughts. I too believe that you can "read"their thoughts if you just pay attention. Idaho is a dream of mine. keep up the good write!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

What an incredible experience. I enjoyed your writing , felt like I had climbed up in the tree with you. It is funny to try to think what the bears thought about you a strange creature in the tree.

I had an experience when i lived in Blanchard Idaho (northern Idaho) with a mama bear and two cubs.
You are so fortunate that you were not seriously harmed.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

827 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 26, 2008
Last Updated on April 29, 2008

Author

Dianne
Dianne

Livermore, CA



About
I'm a new writer. Oh, I've written stuff for work and such over the years, technical writing, lesson plans, resumes; you know the usual stuff of life. Instead I was always a reader. I read like crazy .. more..

Writing
Child of Gaia Child of Gaia

A Story by Dianne


Yes we can! Yes we can!

A Story by Dianne


I am alone I am alone

A Story by Dianne



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Doubt Doubt

A Poem by Tania Leigh


I Quit I Quit

A Poem by Tania Leigh