Him

Him

A Poem by Ren Grace
"

A personal poem I composed about having depression.

"

Him

The joyous years of my life were ephemeral and the despairing ones, slothful.

Despite misery’s degrading reputation, when He visits me I feel impervious.

My heart is fearful of my mind rather than the venomous words that spray out the perpetrators’ tongues.

I am isolated from my nostalgic past and practical mindset.

My soul yearns for sadness more than the planets long for orbit.

There is no change because the result would be catastrophic, like a lack of sadness.

What else is there to feel with Him in the darkest of night?

What else is there to think with Him when I can no longer think of anything else?

Nothing.

Only pain.

The pain, though, is what makes Him worthwhile.

Throughout the multitude of my hardships and ordinary days, sadness has been a constant in my life.

A majority of souls fear anguish, but mine must be an exception because she greets Him with open arms.

She cries when He has to go.

He is all that she depends on.

Depression is like an icicle, cold and hard, but once you melt away the ice and shed off the layers of emotion you resemble a puddle.

Unkempt and messy.

But, that is the con about being a puddle; He likes to jump on you when you are the most vulnerable.

 

© 2014 Ren Grace


Author's Note

Ren Grace
If there are grammar errors please let me know but most of all tell me how you think and what I need to improve on. Thank You!

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

You write from the heart. It's evident in your writing. What I got from the poem was a new insight: Pain is welcome when you're depressed because you yearn to feel something, anything. Pain is the only constant which gives you what you need: feeling. I love it when I learn something new from poems like yours. You're gifted. I can only hope that whatever feelings inspired this have left now, for good. Thank you for sharing, it's because of writings like these that I like to read poetry. Hope you're doing much better now, thanks for sharing. :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Devesh

10 Years Ago

You're welcome. Thank you, that's incredibly kind of you. I've got one request: please don't call me.. read more
Ren Grace

10 Years Ago

haha my bad. You seem a lot older. Sorry for the mishap!
Devesh

10 Years Ago

A suit does that to you. It felt odd! No worries. :)



Reviews

Such a wonderful poem!!! I have tears in my eyes. Thanks for sharing!

Posted 5 Years Ago


This was a beautifully heartbreaking piece. Great job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

there is so much i like about this ..the way you have personified feelings and play them against each other and snowballing each other .. very creative ... and i love this "....perpetrators’ tongues. " like a many tongued serpent ... overwhelming destructive self talk ... i love it!! you really nailed this i think .. depression is such a horrible crippler ... robs us blind for as long as we let it ... tho your poem is not about cutting (i think) it touches on it ... obliquely ... thats what i think .. strong and well crafted ... i get the sense you worked hard on this ... its an important statement .. nice job!
E.

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I take it as referring to depression as Him. I could be wrong. This was so sincere and touching. I hope you will overcome eventually. A splendid poem...:).............

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ren Grace

9 Years Ago

Yes, it is. Thank you for your concern It is greatly appreciated :)
Sami Khalil

9 Years Ago

You are welcome...:).......................
Lauren, sometimes we have to freeze the puddle so that the jumper can slip.

Beautiful write.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Ren Grace

9 Years Ago

plot twist on sadness, I suppose. Clever... I'll give it a try sometime :) Thank you!
Rachelle

9 Years Ago

……………:D……………...
Splendid write.
This is an eloquent expression of your feelings.

Posted 10 Years Ago


You are naturally talented as evidenced by this poem.
I know Him all too well. He visited me a few years ago.
This describes exactly how He made me feel.
Excellent job.
Writing may be your future profession
instead of a hobby after all!
Claire

Posted 10 Years Ago


I enjoyed the liquid imagery of melting and puddles. This is a very deep write. Great job :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


Have you heard of Bad Books? I don't know if you're familiar but there is a song called "You're A Mirror I Cannot Avoid" a line you said in here reminded me a line of theirs "glassy eyed from kissing poison frogs" Anyway great job on the sincerity and honesty with your words!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Ren Grace

10 Years Ago

I have't actually but I will definitely look them up. Thank you for your kind comment :)
Very well written and deeply felt by me. Love the end with the melting and puddles. Very creative to make this emotion a He that you can have a relationship with, that has it's own intentions and motives. Very well done!

Posted 10 Years Ago


Ren Grace

10 Years Ago

Thank you :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

740 Views
19 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on February 16, 2014
Last Updated on February 18, 2014
Tags: depression, sadness, poetry

Author

Ren Grace
Ren Grace

NY



About
My thoughts here more..

Writing
Aware Aware

A Poem by Ren Grace


My Mind My Mind

A Poem by Ren Grace



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..