Victor's Pen

Victor's Pen

A Story by MerylDivya
"

Challenge: Under 1000 words

"
"Hmmm. My favorite pen is missing. Who would want to take my pen?" Victor, the author, rose from his seat looking puzzled and hurt. Here at the Inn besides himself was the landlord Drew and a proper lady, Caroline. Victor had lived there for three months now and not a single thing had ever gone missing. He could recall nothing out of the ordinary - he had put it back in the jug he reserved for writing utensils before going to sleep last night.

Upon telling Drew that the matter indeed concerned him, the typical landlord's attitude waxed and waned and offered many sad little excuses as to why the pen could not be found. The last of which - a bird flew by the pen jar spilling the pen which rolled out of sight - started to seem more believable as time passed.

Caroline entered the common kitchen area. Victor made a point to let out an exhale, making his waist slightly slimmer near the abdomen. He always did this automatically upon seeing Caroline.

"You know my favorite pen is missing and I cannot seem to place it anywhere", Victor began.
But Caroline deftly left the kitchen leaving Victor wondering what he had said to offend her.

The next day, Victor was washing his clothes. He looked over at Caroline's window. Something seemed different. Was something out of place or just....missing?

Victor made a point to ask Drew about this feeling.

"Well you see Victor, she's left our company now."

Drew gave Victor an envelope. Victor took the envelope to his room. When he opened it there was letter from Caroline - he had never seen her penmanship before this day, and his pen!

The letter read: Dearest Victor, Yes I took your pen. Many nights I planned to take your pen but this time I actually did the deed, overcome with emotion in my heart. You see Victor, you do not realize how addictive your writing has become for me. While you sleep I go through your manuscripts in order to read every word and let no word escape my glance. Now because of my long, unruly red locks getting in the way, I often bring something to tie up my hair and read comfortably. But I had nothing this time not even a ribbon, and I twisted the lot into a knotted mass at the base of my neck and inserted the pen in place like a hair pin or stick. I had forgotten to put it back in the utensil jug. For fear of you finding out my strange habit of reading your work when you sleep, I have decided to leave the Inn. I am returning your missing pen to you, may you never miss it again. Sincerely, Caroline.

Victor's mouth had opened wide while he read and reread the letter. He closed his mouth for a moment, wiped the sweat from his brow and the 'corner tears' collected in his eyes. He had his pen again, but his Caroline, forever, missing.

© 2014 MerylDivya


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

124 Views
Added on June 21, 2014
Last Updated on June 21, 2014

Author

MerylDivya
MerylDivya

WA



About
Creative writing and art are my pastimes. I'd love to put together a book but I enjoy poetry more than novel writing and there is not a current market for poetry books. Too bad and so sad. I have a de.. more..

Writing
OCEAN OCEAN

A Poem by MerylDivya