The Banyan Tree

The Banyan Tree

A Story by MerylDivya
"

Remembering

"
I am standing in the midst of the great banyan tree. Birds are laughing at gray monkeys swinging from limb to limb. The sunlight streaks like shimmery threads through the leaves. 

A burst of light - candles all around. Someone is talking about memories. I am not listening. Only taking in the sight of the warm, glowing candles. People's heads are bowed low. But not mine. I want to see this service - not hear it. See the closed coffin where he lies - cold, preserved, completely spiritless. 

A leaf glides away almost feather-like swirling in the hiccups of the wind. It lays at my feet and I am tempted to crush it with my foot. I know it will make a crackly sound. 

Red turns to green. Electric blue fades into the sky. I am watching fireworks during Independence Day. People gathered in huddles, standing to see the colors burst and glow in the distance. The crackling bursts leave smoke trails scarring the night sky. He is laughing, so handsome. He bends down to kiss me and my spine tingles. I love him. 

There is an abandoned cobweb spun intricately in a nook of the banyan. The white sinewy sticky threads look like lace. 

We are at the dance. I am wearing a pink dress. He pins a corsage to my dress, a white rose with white lace. I wonder if he'll ask me to be exclusive with him. Sigh, a young girl's dream. 

This banyan calls me close. I go lean against its trunk - strong and steady. A breeze brushes across my face - and I know it's God's kiss. The light is dwindling and I hear God's sigh along with mine. God is this banyan. God is with him. God is in me. Everything and everything else, it has always been and always will be God's design.

© 2014 MerylDivya


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on June 21, 2014
Last Updated on June 21, 2014

Author

MerylDivya
MerylDivya

WA



About
Creative writing and art are my pastimes. I'd love to put together a book but I enjoy poetry more than novel writing and there is not a current market for poetry books. Too bad and so sad. I have a de.. more..

Writing
OCEAN OCEAN

A Poem by MerylDivya