Writing Prompt Essay: Practice Makes Perfect

Writing Prompt Essay: Practice Makes Perfect

A Story by Debbie Barry
"

An impromptu essay, from the writing prompt: "Tell us about a talent you'd love to have ... but don't." This is more a matter of keeping in practice for short writings than anything else.

"

Practice Makes Perfect

 

I have always wished I could play a musical instrument. After trying a few, I have discovered that I have plenty of enthusiasm for the concept of music, but little actual ability to produce more than a simple melody.

It started in Mrs. O'Neil's second grade class. bEvery student had to learn to play the recorder. Anyone with lips and lungs can get a sound out of a recorder, and having fingers lets the player change the sounds. The principle of it sounds easy enough. I made the recorder make noise. I am not sure anyone could say I made music. I managed to play a melody or two, at least enough so I did not fail second grade music, but I did not do well enough to make me stay with it.

I tried again in Ms. Gibbons' fourth grade -- this time, with the violin. I tried with all my might to learn to make sounds that resembled music more nearly than they resembled the complaints of cats being bathed. I was second violin in the school orchestra that year, only because there was no third seat for the instrument. I managed to scrape out a reasonable rendition of "Turkey in the Straw," but my success was distinctly dim.

Once again, in Mr. Nolan's sixth grade, I trioed to make music. I gave up the bow, and took up the guitar. I practiced until my fingers bled, but I had no luck with my "real six-string."

Not ready to give up completely, I tried some after school piano lessons in high school. That was better. We had a small electrict organ at home, and an upright piano t my dad's house, and I managed to acquire a decent repertoire of songs with my right hand. My left hand and my feet did not seem to understand that they were also expected to participate in the activity. To make it worse, my instructor objected tomy involuntary memorization of the music. After several months, I gave up the lessons, but I continues to bombard my family with repetition after repetition of my favorite songs from a book of popular folk music for the rest of my teen years.

I have tried various percussion, wind, and string instruments over the years, as well as the rasped sounds of the frog, and various bells and jingly things, but I have striven in vain. I love music, and rejoice in hearing good music played well, but I have to live with the knowledge that I cannot play music.

© 2017 Debbie Barry


Author's Note

Debbie Barry
This was impromptu, so not edited. I'd appreciate notes on mechanics, structure, tone, and language usage. Please ignore minor typos. Keep in mind that this was a quick practice piece for writing on the spot, not deep writing.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

To me, this seems well thought out enough to not seem composed on the spur of the moment. Despite several typos, I found it easy to read.
On the subject, I can relate. Although I've long practiced painting, drawing, playing guitar, cooking, writing, and a few other things, I am a master at none.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Debbie Barry

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the comments. I appreciate the personal note, as well. I don't feel that I have full.. read more



Reviews

To me, this seems well thought out enough to not seem composed on the spur of the moment. Despite several typos, I found it easy to read.
On the subject, I can relate. Although I've long practiced painting, drawing, playing guitar, cooking, writing, and a few other things, I am a master at none.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Debbie Barry

6 Years Ago

Thank you for the comments. I appreciate the personal note, as well. I don't feel that I have full.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

179 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 25, 2017
Last Updated on November 15, 2017
Tags: essay, impromptu, writing prompt, music, talent, violin, recorder, guitar, piano, childhood

Author

Debbie Barry
Debbie Barry

Clarkston, MI



About
I live with my husband in southeastern Michigan with our two cats, Mister and Goblin. We enjoy exploring history through French and Indian War re-enactment and through medieval re-enactment in the So.. more..

Writing